Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Isn't it still annoying now?

Nah there are ability capsules nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Txn posted:

Doing cross-gen trades just to get specific movesets (egg moves if breeding) is my favorite part of Pokemon.

When Pokemon Bank came out, 3ds hacking wasn't a thing, so everyone had to painstakingly go through the list of pokemon and figure out what new possiblities happened

And the answer was absurd chains for little pay off.
Take Avalugg, for example. To get Barrier on Avalugg, you need to breed it with Mudkip. To get it on Mudkip, who couldn't get it before gen 6 and at this point had to be imported from gen 5, you had to breed it with Corsola, who had to breed with Tentacool. The kicker to this is Barrier is absolutely worthless on Avalugg because Barrier does the same thing as Iron Defense.

Cross-gen trades are also the only way to get Self-Destruct on Snorlax. You either have to have taught a Snorlax Self-Destruct in Gale of Darkness or grabbed the Self-Destruct Munchlax from the Pokewalker (which was only available as a rare encounter from an event course), then breed it to a Munchlax (baby Snorlaxes don't get it, it's exclusive to Munchlax's egg moves).

what i'm saying is i am giddy with the no-doubt-useless possibilities S/M will bring now that we can bring RBY pokemon forward.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

rannum posted:

When Pokemon Bank came out, 3ds hacking wasn't a thing, so everyone had to painstakingly go through the list of pokemon and figure out what new possiblities happened

Take Avalugg, for example. To get Barrier on Avalugg, you need to breed it with Mudkip. To get it on Mudkip, who couldn't get it before gen 6 and at this point had to be imported from gen 5, you had to breed it with Corsola, who had to breed with Tentacool. The kicker to this is Barrier is absolutely worthless on Avalugg because Barrier does the same thing as Iron Defense.

Cross-gen trades are also the only way to get Self-Destruct on Snorlax. You either have to have taught a Snorlax Self-Destruct in Gale of Darkness or grabbed the Self-Destruct Munchlax from the Pokewalker (which was only available as a rare encounter from an event course), then breed it to a Munchlax (baby Snorlaxes don't get it, it's exclusive to Munchlax's egg moves).

what i'm saying is i am giddy with the no-doubt-useless possibilities S/M will bring now that we can bring RBY pokemon forward.

No Guard Fissure Machamp.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Silegna posted:

No Guard Fissure Machamp.

Watch all the Pokémon that are transferred from the Gen 1 ports have their hidden abilities. (Which isn't No Guard for Machamp).

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

rannum posted:

The Wide Guard egg chain was beautiful :allears:. Except for the part where the Nintendo servers didn't allow me to trade my Wide Guard Mudkip, thankfully you can now relearn egg moves after deleting them.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Txn posted:

The Wide Guard egg chain was beautiful :allears:. Except for the part where the Nintendo servers didn't allow me to trade my Wide Guard Mudkip, thankfully you can now relearn egg moves after deleting them.

My legitimate shiny mew was considered hacked.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 23: Fat and Furious Fists of Fury

Pokemon Gym

Fifth Gym time. No Jim Gui around, so let's get straight into it.

"er by friendship."

: Our bond will never be broken!

HP: 50 | ATK: 120 | DEF: 53 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 110 | SPD: 87 | TOTAL: 455
#144: Hitmonlee

Hah.

Should be seeing a lot of new attacks today. Jump Kick (Tobigeri: Dropkick) is a Fighting move with 70BP, 25PP and 95% accuracy, where if you miss you take damage equal to 1/8th of the damage you would've dealt if you'd hit. It's not a terrible penalty, but it's an increase from last gen's 1HP crash damage.

Double Kick (Nidogeri) is a Fighting move with 30BP, 30PP and 100% accuracy that always hits twice, giving it a technical base power of 60. It's alright, but not exactly a great Fighting move. Hopefully you can get something better later along the line, though some Pokemon don't really have a choice.

Man, two trainers in a row. I don't know if I can manage.

HP: 50 | ATK: 105 | DEF: 79 | SP.ATK: 35 | SP.DEF: 110 | SPD: 76 | TOTAL: 455
#145: Hitmonchan

New move is Comet Punch (Renzoku Panchi: Consecutive Punch), a Normal move with 18BP, 15PP and 85% accuracy that can hit 2-5 times, with 3 times on average for a base power of 54. Guess what, it's not a very good move. Moving on.

"chics..."

(Yoshi): You seem to have a strong bond with your POKéMON too!

"the talking!"

Heh. Fists.

Now this is an animation of Strength I can get behind.

HP: 80 | ATK: 100 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 50 | SP.DEF: 60 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 405
#141: Machoke

Seismic Toss (Chikyū Nage: Earth Throw) is a Fighting move that does damage equal to the user's level, with 20PP and 100% accuracy. It can no longer hit Ghost types like in Gen 1.

Interesting, the Machop family can only learn this move in Gen 1 via TM. But yeah, Rock Slide (Iwa Nadare) is a Rock move with 75BP, 10PP and 90% accuracy that has a 30% chance to flinch the target, something it didn't do in Gen 1. It's basically the best Rock move in the game and an unfortunate number of Rock types don't learn it.

You move variety also makes me lost for words.

This should not be a tough Strength puzzle to solve.

"POKéMON!"

HP: 65 | ATK: 105 | DEF: 60 | SP.ATK: 60 | SP.DEF: 70 | SPD: 95 | TOTAL: 455
#135: Primeape

"shattered..."

Man, everyone here is so down when they lose.

A quick heal and it's time to face the master.

: Let me tell you, I'm tough! My POKéMON will crush stones and shatter bones! Watch this! Urggh! ... Oooarrgh!

: What? It has nothing to do with POKéMON? That's true! Come on. We shall do battle!

Gym Leader Battle :siren: VS Leader Chuck :siren:

Chuck: His Roaring Fists Do the Talking
(A synonym for throw, from nunchuk, or indeed, Chuck Norris)
Shijima: Man who Talks by Roaring Fists
(From Haoruchia-Shijima, the Japanese name of the Haworthia plant, a similar plant to the Aloe. Shijima can also mean silence, or four islands)

This battle can be tough if you're not too careful, though the Primeape isn't exactly a big deal.

While Karate Chop can hit hard if it crits, its three other moves are just rubbish. But it's good that this Pokemon isn't too tough, cause it's the next Pokemon that's might give you some trouble.

HP: 90 | ATK: 85 | DEF: 95 | SP.ATK: 70 | SP.DEF: 90 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 500
#074: Poliwrath

This is the big cheese, the dangerous guy. It can do a lot of damage as you can see, but I can also do a lot of damage with Return.

Man, just imagine if I actually had a Psychic move. Helios would literally be unstoppable.

Gym Leader Defeated

: How about that! You're worthy of STORMBADGE!

Pokemon Gym

: STORMBADGE makes all POKéMON up to L70 obey, even traded ones. It also lets your POKéMON use FLY when you're not in battle. Here, take this too!

: It doesn't always hit, but when it does, it causes confusion! HAHAHAH! I enjoyed battling you! But a loss is a loss! From now on, I'm going to train 24 hours a day!

Hmm, just not the same without the guy there. Anyway, that's badge number five and again, I felt like I got it too easily.

So let's give Chuck one more chance to strut his stuff.

Cool. Next!

Like Morty, Chuck uses the Hypnosis strategy, which, again, is great when it works, hilarious when it doesn't.

His main strategy is using the wombo combo of Mind Reader (Kokoro no Me: Mind's Eye), a Normal status move with 5PP and 100% accuracy that ensures the next move will hit, no matter what, even during turns of Fly and Dig, and then Dynamicpunch (Bakuretsu Panchi: Exploding Punch), a Fighting move with 100BP, 50% accuracy and 5PP that always confuses the target when it hits.

It can be pretty nasty, but due to Poliwrath's overall low stats, it's not exactly the most destructive force out there. Incidentally, Poliwrath can only get Mind Reader this early through breeding, it can't learn the move until level 51. I never knew how often the game did this kind of moveset manipulation. It's pretty cool.

While it can cause troubles for your team, it shouldn't be that hard to take down. So let's move on!

Cianwood City

: You will be able to FLY instantly to anywhere you have visited. My husband lost to you, so he needs to train harder. That's good, since he was getting a little chubby.

Ah, perfect. Fly (Sora wo Tobu) is a Flying move with 70BP, 15PP and 95% accuracy that is executed over two turns, giving it an effective base power of 35. New to Gen 2 is that a flying Pokemon will take double damage from Gust, Thunder and Twister while it is flying. And of course, it can be used to take you to any previous town or city you've visited, making it an excellent utility move.

Now I could've sworn we went to Cianwood for a very important reason, but I got too distracted by the Gym to remember.

Oh hey, there's a house there.

: CIANWOOD CITY PHARMACY. We Await Your Medicinal Queries

: ... The LIGHTHOUSE POKéMON is in trouble? I got it! This ought to do the trick.

: My SECRETPOTION is a tad too strong. I only offer it in an emergency.

Okay, now we can solve the Lighthouse problem, as Olivine is just a quick Fly away.

This place also acts like a simplified Mart if need be. Pretty good stuff here honestly.

But just before we fly across the sea, there's one last thing to do.

Oh hey it's that water doggy.

Eusine's Theme

: Wasn't that SUICUNE just now? I only caught a quick glimpse, but I though I saw SUICUNE running on the waves. SUICUNE is beautiful and grand. And it races through towns and roads at simply awesome speeds. It's wonderful... I want to see SUICUNE up close... I've decided. I'll battle you as a trainer to earn SUICUNE's respect! Come on, MARINA. Let's battle now!

Trainer Battle

(Eusine is a similar name to Suicune, whereas Minaki can be from 水晶 suishō (crystal), where 水 can be read as mina and 晶 can be read as aki.)

After beating Chuck, Eusine is not a tough fight. But he can be a little bit tricky.

Mainly because he is another user of Hypnosis. How fun.

Yeah, we're not doing this.

HP: 60 | ATK: 50 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 140 | TOTAL: 480
#121: Electrode

Motherfucker. Thunder (Kaminari) is an Electric move with 120BP, 10PP and 70% accuracy that has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent. During rain, it has 100% accuracy and during sun it has 50% accuracy. It can hit a Pokemon using Fly and deal double damage. It's a pretty good move, if a bit inaccurate, but rain helps with that greatly.

Well that went well. Calling clean up crewmember Churchill.

We've faced too many Ghosts in recent memory and this one is no different. I mean, if it puts you to sleep and curses you and traps you... then it's your fault for letting it do stuff for like three turns.

Electrode aside, this is a pretty easy battle. But when that Electrode slams those Thunders, then drat it hurts.

Eusine's Theme

: No wonder POKéMON gravitate to you. I get it now. I'm going to keep searching for SUICUNE. I'm sure we'll see each other again. See you around!

Thanks, MOM, I appreciate it.

It's finally time to head back to Olivine. Totem bird, away!

Olivine City

"AMPHY?"

Hell no!

I-I mean, hell yeah!

"JASMINE."

: ...Um, please don't be offended... ...AMPHY will not take anything from anyone but me...

AH MY EYES

: ...Oh, I'm so relieved... This is just wonderful... Thank you so very, very much. ...I will return to the GYM.

A good deed done.

And now it's Gym time... in a bit. See, we just beat a Gym Leader, so we could use a bit of a gap. Next time, we'll be going back around the region doing everything we can do with Surf, Strength and Fly. And maybe some HGSS stuff too. Catch ya later!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
When did they release a shiny Mew event? All the ones I've known of were locked into normal.

E: I think Blackbelt Nob is also a reference to a staff member of GAME FREAK, and he's appeared in a number of games.

Roro fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 15, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Crosspeice posted:

(A synonym for throw, from nunchuk, or indeed, Chuck Norris)

I wonder if people in Cianwood City make memes of Chuck.

Crosspeice posted:

: It doesn't always hit, but when it does, it causes confusion!

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I honestly don't think I've ever used a Fighting type. Their ridiculous shittiness is Generation I (or maybe it's more the absurd overpoweredness of Psychic types) left a deep impression.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever used a Fighting type. Their ridiculous shittiness is Generation I (or maybe it's more the absurd overpoweredness of Psychic types) left a deep impression.

Not even a Fighting hybrid like Lucario or Blaziken? Fighting is a type that I feel better suits a partner type to cover weaknesses or give them better spread.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I always go for the Water starter and I don't think I've used any with Fighting secondary as part of my long term team. I could be wrong there, though. That's a lot to remember

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Roro posted:

When did they release a shiny Mew event? All the ones I've known of were locked into normal.

E: I think Blackbelt Nob is also a reference to a staff member of GAME FREAK, and he's appeared in a number of games.

Yeah, the main translator of the first few games, who was also a goon at one point!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The introduction of Steel and Dark, which balance Psychic and are weak to Fighting, catapulted Fighting from one of the worst types to one of the best.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot about the Gen II Fly animation. Always liked that one. It also fits a Xatu pretty well, now I think about it.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Fighting is a very powerful type now. To the point where Gamefreak had to give it a slight nerf by introducing the Fairy type.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Roro posted:

Nob Ogasawara was the translator of the Pokemon games up until Platinum. He's also a goon by the username of Doug Dinsdale. There's even a Reporter in Gen 4 with a Wooper that Nob named Roxy after the main character of Chorocojo's LP of this very game, in which the main Pokemon used was a Wooper after shunting her evil Totodile onto her mom.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, the main translator of the first few games, who was also a goon at one point!

The introduction of Steel and Dark, which balance Psychic and are weak to Fighting, catapulted Fighting from one of the worst types to one of the best.

He was Doug Dinsdale, right? He commented on Chorocojo's LP of Platinum, saying how much Cyrus referred to himself as god.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Silegna posted:

He was Doug Dinsdale, right? He commented on Chorocojo's LP of Platinum, saying how much Cyrus referred to himself as god.

He also talked a bit about Gen 1 localization in the Let's Break Pokemon Blue thread a while back.

Mostly what I remember is him saying he told his boss they would regret naming Mr. Mime "Mr." Mime if they ever introduced gendered Pokemon.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Primeape is excellent in FR/LG, Heracross is the boss in most every game where you can get it by mid-game.
RSE/ORAS has Makuhita/Hariyama, who are agreeably chufty and in particular useful against Norman because they can actually take hits and not die immediately. There's also Breloom, which is fast enough to utilize the fact that it knows Spore, and got better with the physical/special split, but prior it's still decent. Blaziken is...it's good, but I hate it.
Lucario, Scrafty, Mienshao, Hawlucha, and Pangoro are eminently usable.

I've never used Poliwrath, but as it seems to be pulling its weight here, that might recommend it as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

You're missing out on a lot of good skills/Pokemon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Spatula City posted:

Primeape is excellent in FR/LG, Heracross is the boss in most every game where you can get it by mid-game.
RSE/ORAS has Makuhita/Hariyama, who are agreeably chufty and in particular useful against Norman because they can actually take hits and not die immediately. There's also Breloom, which is fast enough to utilize the fact that it knows Spore, and got better with the physical/special split, but prior it's still decent. Blaziken is...it's good, but I hate it.
Lucario, Scrafty, Mienshao, Hawlucha, and Pangoro are eminently usable.

I've never used Poliwrath, but as it seems to be pulling its weight here, that might recommend it as well.
Poliwrath was my usual go-to water Pokemon when I ran with Bulbasaur in Gen 1. It definitely pulled its weight and is a fairly good water type option, but then again, water types have been plentiful in this franchise. I'd say what makes Poliwrath slightly more useful compared to other fighting types is that it allows you to condense team roles down to more manageable terms instead of having to spread things around, at least for me.

Also echoing the statement on Heracross. Many a battle in my Platinum runs ended with a giant stag beetle suplexing fools into the ground. :allears:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Silegna posted:

Yep!

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007
On your Machoke write up you list Earthquake as a Normal-type move. Was this true in gen 2 or has it always been Ground-type?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

On your Machoke write up you list Earthquake as a Normal-type move. Was this true in gen 2 or has it always been Ground-type?

It's always been a Ground type, I just have confusing wording on occasion :v:

Fighting is also one of the best Little Cup types due to fast threats like Mienfoo, though Fairy has lessened that somewhat, enough so that Swirlix has been banned.

Roro posted:

I'm not sure about events, but shiny Mew has only ever been legitimate in the Faraway Island event in Emerald and was only released in Japan. Due to the Mew Glitch you can get shiny Mew when you trade it to Gen 2, but all legitimate Gen 1 event Mew cannot be shiny due to having set DVs. Shiny Celebi, meanwhile, is possible in Japanese Crystal, but from Gen 3 on, no Celebi event has been shiny.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I'm not sure about events, but shiny Mew has only ever been legitimate in the Faraway Island event in Emerald and was only released in Japan. Due to the Mew Glitch you can get shiny Mew when you trade it to Gen 2, but all legitimate Gen 1 event Mew cannot be shiny due to having set DVs. Shiny Celebi, meanwhile, is possible in Japanese Crystal, but from Gen 3 on, no Celebi event has been shiny.

Ahh, I forgot about Faraway Island. It's possible to hack your way onto the island in Emerald in the Western releases, but I imagine that it still marks the Mew as illegitimate since the event was never unlocked over here.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Some Numbers posted:

Sadly, I don't think he got to call the ANGERSNACK the much better name of "Cake of Rage".

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

TinTower posted:

Sadly, I don't think he got to call the ANGERSNACK the much better name of "Cake of Rage".

Are you referring to the RAGECANDYBAR?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Roro posted:

Ahh, I forgot about Faraway Island. It's possible to hack your way onto the island in Emerald in the Western releases, but I imagine that it still marks the Mew as illegitimate since the event was never unlocked over here.

It doesn't, I've Banked English Mews from the island with no problems. Meanwhile, even though we got the in-game Darkrai event for Platinum over here, it's repeatedly refused to take the one I caught there for some reason. The Bank has weird standards for legitimacy.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
What's difficult about breeding Hi Jump Kick onto Hitmonchan? Is it not as simple as Hitmonlee + Ditto -> Tyrogue -> Hitmonchan?

Fighting types are great though. I always use Hitmonchan in Gen III despite knowing full well that he's not very good. I think I used one playing Red alongside the last LP as well. No regrets. I know I used a Lucario in Diamond, Black 2, and for about 3 seconds in Y. They give that guy away a lot. I always try with Hariyama, but I don't think I've ever stuck with him. I know I didn't use him in the remake of Sapphire.

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Shiny777 posted:

It doesn't, I've Banked English Mews from the island with no problems. Meanwhile, even though we got the in-game Darkrai event for Platinum over here, it's repeatedly refused to take the one I caught there for some reason. The Bank has weird standards for legitimacy.

Odd, my ALAMOS Darkrai made it through. It's my main one because of Roar of Time and Spatial Rend.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 24: Surfing and Strengthing Around

Holy crap, I remembered to actually update y'all on my team. Let's have a comparison to how they were, shall we? Kakarott hasn't changed too much, he's kinda falling behind with fairly weak moves overall, but Fire STAB is still very useful so soon he'll be much more effective when he actually learns some goddamn moves!

Similarly, Jeremiah hasn't improved much due to low stats. She's been pretty dependable with Surf and Hypnosis, but Doubleslap is not a great move to have to rely on for other Water types. She'll improve after an evolution, but that's a little while off yet.

Churchill is dependable and pretty strong, but very one note. Bite is not a good coverage move for her, nor is Rock Smash, but that's what we got right now. She's also pretty slow and can't evolve again for another boost, so she'll start dropping off the further we go.

Helios is Helios. His stats are kinda good for a physical attacker, but that's not what I want him to be. Eventually we'll get the good moves he needs, but that's still a ways off. Despite that, he's doing just fine, so we can manage until then. Okay, on with the show!

Cherrygrove City

: I think it's MYSTIC WATER. I don't need it, so do you want it?

First stop and we're already getting items. It's gonna be a whirlwind tour as we go back through Johto to get some cool stuff.

Slowpoke Well

Let's explore the rest of Slowpoke Well, cause goddamn these Strength boulders were bothering me.

"of evolution."

: Through observation, I made a new discovery. A SLOWPOKE with a KING'S ROCK often gets bitten by a SHELLDER. Here, I'll share a KING'S ROCK with you.

: I'll wait patiently, so I can see one evolve.

Oh hey, it's one of those weather moves I keep talking about. Don't have much use for them in single player, but they can be pretty useful in competitive. The King's Rock can evolve one of two Pokemon, but you only get one, so choose wisely.

HP: 95 | ATK: 75 | DEF: 110 | SP.ATK: 100 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 30 | TOTAL: 490
#081: Slowbro

Well that's all to that evolution line... OR IS THERE?

Ruins of Alph

Now that we can move the boulder, it's time to take on the last Ruins of Alph puzzle. Of course, this is not the last time we'll be coming back here.

We won't be able to access the back room just yet, but the puzzle shouldn't be too bad.

I'm not entirely sure why this puzzle instead of the Ho-oh one is the last one we can get to, but it can be tricky. It doesn't have clear edges and you have to work out what perspective you're working with, so maybe you'll have trouble?

That's all 26 Unown available to catch. We will be catching all of them, but we shall do so later, cause I still need my Pokeball money for other things.

Dark Cave

While there's nothing new to pick up in Dark Cave, we can surf across and reach this area. There's nothing here, since we're on the wrong side, but the encounters are different, allowing us to catch these Pokemon earlier than usual. Neat!

We can finally catch our own Wobbuffet! And a Graveler too, I guess.

Now to randomly decide when to catch the evolution.

HP: 90 | ATK: 130 | DEF: 75 | SP.ATK: 75 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 55 | TOTAL: 500
#194: Ursaring

I'm quite glad I discovered this, cause Ursaring is at the same level as our team, so it's an excellent opportunity to pick one up if you need a good Normal type.

HP: 75 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 70 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 75 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 455
#038: Golbat

It's best to raise up a Zubat if you want to evolve it all the way, as catching a Golbat requires more grinding up for happiness.

Route 32

New Egg to grab. Now it's Vegeta's turn to make some babies.

Some new items to grab, pretty good ones too. What else is down here?

I don't want to know what I've stumbled upon.

Easy enough, buuuut...

"unpunished!"

We're going straight into another trainer.

Bubblebeam (Baburu Kōsen) is a Water move with 65BP, 20PP and 100% accuracy that has a 10% chance of lowering the target's Speed by one stage. It's an alright Water move when you don't have Surf. It's not as available this time as it's no longer a TM.

Ugh.

"KATE is tough!" "for this!"

Uh oh, sister wrath.

"little sisters!"

HP: 50 | ATK: 95 | DEF: 180 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 45 | SPD: 70 | TOTAL: 525
#170: Cloyster

Heh, cute. Withdraw (Kara ni Komoru: Withdraw into Shell) is a Water status move with 40PP that raises Defense by one stage. It's nothing special.

"stand a chance."

: Here. You deserve this.

: I'm sorry we jumped you. We never expected anyone to find us here. You sure startled us.

Burned Tower

Before we move onto the large chunk of this update, there's one small thing to pick up in the Burned Tower. We could also go to the second tower, but there's nothing for us there right now.

Endure (Koraeru) is a Normal status move with 10PP and +3 priority that prevents the Pokemon from fainting from an attack, leaving it at 1HP and can work multiple times a turn. It can also be used at 1HP, technically protecting a Pokemon from attacks during that turn. It does not protect the user from end of turn effects, however, like Poison and Burn.

Union Cave

Now it's the right time (heh) to head back into Union Cave and delve deep into its depths.

Oh good, more crazy cave dwellers.

HP: 60 | ATK: 80 | DEF: 110 | SP.ATK: 50 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 45 | TOTAL: 425
#204: Marowak

"lirious with joy."

:yikes:

"POKéMON research."

: Let me demonstrate my findings in a real battle!

HP: 105 | ATK: 95 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 40 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 90 | TOTAL: 490
#205: Kangaskhan

"study findings."

: I might even become famous like PROF.ELM.

Not PROF.OAK? Well, you do you, friend. Mega Punch (Megaton Panchi: Megaton Punch) is a Normal move with 80BP, 20PP and 85% accuracy. It does a lot of damage, but the accuracy might not work out too well if you're not careful.

Alright, let's see what's down here.

One item there, but nothing on this bit of land? Oh well, I see another item up there.

: Those who have style, and those who don't. What kind of person are you?

Well, you can probably guess what team this guy has. So it's a perfect time to talk about the evolutions of the starters.

HP: 60 | ATK: 62 | DEF: 63 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 405
#227: Ivysaur

HP: 58 | ATK: 64 | DEF: 58 | SP.ATK: 80 | SP.DEF: 65 | SPD: 80 | TOTAL: 405
#230: Charmeleon

HP: 59 | ATK: 63 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 65 | SP.DEF: 80 | SPD: 58 | TOTAL: 405
#233: Wartortle

We'll be going over the final evolutions when we encounter them. I'll also be going over the Johto starter evolutions when it's convenient.

And you've got dazzling Pokemon.

"colorful. I admit."

I hope so, or it'll be a pretty uphill game.

Moving from a starter trainer to an Eevee trainer.

Ah, thank heavens. Flame Wheel (Kaen Guruma) is a Fire move with 60BP, 25PP and 100% accuracy that thaws the user and has a 10% chance of burning the opponent. It's definitely a step up from Ember, but there are better Fire moves. Eventually.

Level ups all around.

"improve."

Man, are we almost done with this cave?

"I'd go anywhere."

: That's what a real trainer does.

"the water's edge."

: I wanted to see that POKéMON...

Well girl, today's your lucky day! Who's that Pokemon?

HP: 130 | ATK: 85 | DEF: 80 | SP.ATK: 85 | SP.DEF: 95 | SPD: 60 | TOTAL: 535
#219: Lapras

Aw man. Sing (Utau) is a Normal status move with 15PP and 55% accuracy that puts the target to sleep. It's very close to an actual coin flip, so it always sucks when you miss/get hit by it.

We also have Mist (Shiroi Kiri: White Mist), an Ice status move with 30PP that prevents stat reductions by the opponent until you switch out. It doesn't prevent stat loss from status, nor does it stop self inflicted stat reduction. Unlike last gen, the effects of Mist are no longer removed by Haze.

While it's can be hard to catch, I thankfully didn't have too bad a time with it. So that's all there is to do with Union Cave.

A quick Escape Rope out and we're back to take down the last Gym. Well, after we've checked in with Kotone. See you then.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Lapras is usually my Water type in my Gen 2 playthroughs because of how early you can get it and how great its stats are for that stage of the game.

Its movepool is also really great even if you don't have access to Thunderbolt for a maddeningly long time.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Update 24.5: From Port to Port (HGSS)

Pokemon Center

"It's sure to surprise anyone!"

: Oh, are you a Trainer? You came at just the right time! I just finished putting my Ball Capsule on my Poké Ball. Do you want to battle and be amazed by my decoration?

Eh, sure.

Woo, Ball Capsules. Attach eight or less of these Seal stickers to a maximum twelve Pokeballs and see some pretty things happen when they're sent out. But if you want to put that Pokemon in the PC, then you have to remove the Ball Capsule. It's cool, but it's a bit of a hassle if you're moving Pokemon in and out of the PC. It was dropped pretty quickly come next gen.

Uh, sure, you did good friend.

: How cool is it to have a Poké Ball that only you have in the entire world? Give it a whirl! Oh, remember to put the Ball Capsule on a Poké Ball once it's ready!

Olivine City

"coming along?"

: Have you ever noticed that in the mountains, sometimes there are round boulders right in your way...? You can move them with the hidden move Strength! Hikers at Mt. Mortar sometimes have extra, or so I've heard...

Been there, done that, but thanks for the reminder.

: Here, have some! Huh? You don't have a Seal Case? I was gonna give you some Seals...

Oh well, I'll live. This is the only way to get Seals in this game, three at a time from this girl. In DPP, you could buy a huge chunk at Sunyshore's Market depending on the day, with the letter Seals given out by a boy in Solaceon depending on the Unown you show him. Like with Accessories, you don't really have a choice in what you get from this girl, so good luck getting the Seals you want. I might pick some up for future use, but ehhhhhhhhh. Incidentally, three Seals, the Liquid Seal, Burst Seal and Twinkle Seal are in the game, but unavailable. Maybe they could've been released through events, but there's a lot of unreleased stuff in Gen 4.

Glitter Lighthouse

I'm glad for this improvement of being able to just head straight to the top. No ifs, no buts.

Hah, just kidding, it's never that easy. Up the Lighthouse we go.

Cianwood City

But nothing's really that different until we reach Cianwood City. There's actually quite a bit here, so let's have an explore.

: Take a Snapshot as a Keepsake!

: You may come across my relatives here and there. Anyway, go ahead and take a picture! Check the camera, and it'll take a picture for you. It'll be a good memory of your journey with your Pokémon!

Gotta keep that record going. And can I say no to such a technological marvel?

Team's still looking good.

: Experience thrilling encounters with wild Pokémon for heart-to-heart contact! The Safari Zone is just around the corner from this entrance!

: It's really fun! You will see many different kinds of Pokémon, and it's all you can catch! There is no reason not to go, right? Just around the corner. It won't take too long. Why don't you drop by? Won't you?

Y-Yeah?

I don't think it's that close, but it doesn't seem like I can head there anyway.

Yeah... we'll be back a bit later.

For now, let's go say hi to a dog.

Eusine's Theme

It's Eusine again. Guess what, he's gonna battle us. Crazy!

Trainer Battle

Eusine's team is exactly the same in the remakes, aside from it being two levels higher. The only move that was affected by the physical/special split is Sonicboom, so yeah, he was vaguely annoying before and he's vaguely annoying now.

Yeah, I ain't bothering with this bullshit.

Synchronize motherfucker!

This strategy is getting real fuckin' old...

We shall see you again weird stalker guy.

Pokemon Gym

Now it's time for Chuck's Gym and it's changed a lot, for the better. The gist is still the same, gotta fight the various guys before we can face Chuck.

First up, head up the left side to move the second guy out of the way.

Then head up on the right to reach the winch.

I believe in pure might. Time to face the leader.

: Why did you stop the waterfall from pouring on me! You just spoiled my training! I have to warn you that I am a strong Trainer training every day under this waterfall! What? It has nothing to do with Pokémon? ... That's true! ... ... Come on. We shall do battle!

Gym Leader Battle

UGH. Chuck has changed his tactics a fair amount, now revolving around Focus Punch instead of Dynamicpunch. You can guess what Primeape does and it's REALLY ANNOYING.

So yeah, if you let Primeape get up enough Double Teams, this happens. This Pokemon is real freaking dangerous if you're not careful, arguably more than Chuck's main.

Eventually it goes down, but man, that's after it chews through nearly half of my team.

Now it's Poliwrath's turn. With its balanced stats, this Pokemon can also be really deadly. But, it does try and rely on the Hypnosis strategy, which can give you the break you need. But if not, then it has three pretty dangerous attacks to use freely.

Well this is what I get for relying on Hypnosis. :suicide:

While sleep doesn't trigger Synchronize, paralysis sure does. But I cannot go through every battle relying on that...

As per usual, it has a Sitrus Berry. It is just not going down.

Aw, goddammit.

AW GODDAMMIT (though I was reviving Psycho Cat up so it's not too surprising, I just liked the joke's timing)

But eventually it freakin' goes down. It didn't become fully paralyzed ONCE over six or so turns. Gah!

Pokemon Gym

"the Storm Badge!"

Uh... please ignore the emulator wigging out on me. It was bound to happen eventually...

"already been to!

: Here, take this, too!

: It doesn't land if the foe you're attacking hits you first, but it's very powerful if it manages to hit! Wahahah! I enjoyed battling you! But a loss is a loss! From now on, I'm going to train 24 hours a day!

Not a bad collection, right?

Cianwood City

Now back across the ocean on our large time bird.

Olivine City

One large lamppost all healed up and... is that my phone?

: Sorry to have kept you waiting! We've finally opened the Safari Zone! Do you know where it is? You know the Gate inside the cavern in Cianwood City? If you go through there and walk for a short while, you should soon see the Safari Zone! We're a little out of the way, but please come visit!

That sounds like a pretty good idea, so next update, we'll be heading off to a brand new area for the remakes, as we train ourselves up for the sixth Gym. See you then everybody!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 21, 2016

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

HG/SS roms are unstable as gently caress. Surprised it took this long for it to happen, honestly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Is it possible that you hit a button that disables one of the drawing layers? I remember that happened frequently in someone else's LP, though that was on a GBA emulator. The "take screenshot" and "disable sprite drawing" buttons were right next to each other for some unknown reason.

Ball capsules were my jam back in Gen IV. I kind of miss them, but they really felt hastily tacked on to the game, so I'm not surprised they were dropped immediately.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I don't think I ever used Ball Seals. They were so meh of a concept in Gen 4 that I barely noticed Gen 5 dropped them instantly until I overheard some Gen 5 changes.

Also echoing the statement on HG/SS roms being unstable. One such example: the only way I could use a HM move with the emulator making GBS threads the bed was to switch the follower Pokemon to the one with the desired HM move (i.e., if I wanted to Fly to a town, whoever had Fly in their moveset had to be following behind me), all so the start-up animation would play out properly. Slightly annoying, but at least that issue had a very easy fix.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I liked Ball Seals, but they were rally just kinda thrown in.

Also you could use letter seals to spell cusses so my Monferno could come out to a banner of rear end.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Silegna posted:

HG/SS roms are unstable as gently caress. Surprised it took this long for it to happen, honestly.

Oh don't worry, I have had many, many problems, but since I'm only showing off bits and pieces of this game, I can just cut out all the many crashes, the graphical glitches and so, so many crashes.

The main reason for all of this is due to an anti-piracy check the game does fairly often and it works annoyingly well. But if you save often, it shouldn't be much of a problem. But know that it can happen anytime: enter a battle? Pokeballs spin infinitely. Leave a Pokemon Center? Black screen crash. Use a HM? Black screen crash. Encounter a wild Pokemon? Screen goes white except for the opponent's sprite and then crash. It's been great fun.

Solumin posted:

Is it possible that you hit a button that disables one of the drawing layers? I remember that happened frequently in someone else's LP, though that was on a GBA emulator. The "take screenshot" and "disable sprite drawing" buttons were right next to each other for some unknown reason.

I take screenshots post recording so I can pause when needed and to figure out the order of the updates. The only time I took live screenshots was when I was trading between Yellow and Crystal, due to the two open emulators.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I always liked the idea of sending out a really powerful pokemon and it goes SURPRISE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Huh. I've played HG on an emulator for a bit (up until Olivine I think) and I never had problems with crashes or any other problems. Out of battle moves work just fine (although I guess I only got flash and cut by that point). I might've used a patched version that had the piracy check removed though. It may also depend on the emulator.

• Locked thread