Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Whatever I brainstormed on cheap and non terrible parts: http://goo.gl/NL2FTl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerox
May 20, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Good list, but a few suggestions:

I would change out the flight controller to a RMRC Dodo or something that can take direct voltage, then you won't need a BEC or any sort of step down. Receiver gets proper voltage from the flight controller.

Not sure how that VTX is, but I have been using RMRC's cricket VTX's in all my stuff lately, I do direct voltage off the pdb to the VTX and let the VTX power the camera. I haven't used any sort of filters and not having any issues without it.

And to echo everyone else, just get a drat Taranis. I have friends locked into JR/Spektrum radios and I just roll my eyes every time they bitch about not having the flexibility to setup switches to do whatever the gently caress they want and they won't swap over. Take the time to learn how to do telemetry with the Taranis and set timers. The only useful thing on an OSD for a race quad is battery voltage anyway and you can save weight and headache by not setting one up.

The only advantage of a Spektrum is that you can buy cheap lemon receivers for $10 that do 6 PWM channels. A spektrum receiver that can do CPPM and 3 PWM channels costs like $60, a X4R does sbus (16 channels) and 3 pwm channels and is $25. A X8R can do 8 PWM channels and 16 sbus channels and is $30. Those two are the only receivers I use anymore, and the only use I have found for the X8R is my plane with a vector, flaps, and a pan/tilt, which needed 4 PWM channels.

nerox fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 14, 2016

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had it listed but, there are cheaper options out there that I think can take direct voltage still (check joshua bardwell's vids). I have two rmrc dodos that I'll be swapping soon since I can't put dronin on there

that vtx is fine, and its the cheapest one you'll find. the cricket is just a 799t in a metal case (quanum has an identical one as well). LC filters are always recommended, and you can usually find a spot to fit one in. Annoyingly they are usually designed for 3 or 6s, with the "4s" ones being a little too low voltage wise on the cap.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 14, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Oh yeah, I built one of the FliteTest Might Mini-Arrows and got it maidened last weekend. Very easy build and flew well!.
I had it built up as a 3S FPV rig, but you could easily turn it into a casual 2S LOS wing.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

What VRX do you pair with that VTX?

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

nerox posted:

Good list, but a few suggestions:

I would change out the flight controller to a RMRC Dodo or something that can take direct voltage, then you won't need a BEC or any sort of step down. Receiver gets proper voltage from the flight controller.

Not sure how that VTX is, but I have been using RMRC's cricket VTX's in all my stuff lately, I do direct voltage off the pdb to the VTX and let the VTX power the camera. I haven't used any sort of filters and not having any issues without it.

And to echo everyone else, just get a drat Taranis. I have friends locked into JR/Spektrum radios and I just roll my eyes every time they bitch about not having the flexibility to setup switches to do whatever the gently caress they want and they won't swap over. Take the time to learn how to do telemetry with the Taranis and set timers. The only useful thing on an OSD for a race quad is battery voltage anyway and you can save weight and headache by not setting one up.

The only advantage of a Spektrum is that you can buy cheap lemon receivers for $10 that do 6 PWM channels. A spektrum receiver that can do CPPM and 3 PWM channels costs like $60, a X4R does sbus (16 channels) and 3 pwm channels and is $25. A X8R can do 8 PWM channels and 16 sbus channels and is $30. Those two are the only receivers I use anymore, and the only use I have found for the X8R is my plane with a vector, flaps, and a pan/tilt, which needed 4 PWM channels.

just buy a spektrum module for a taranis and have both?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Oh yeah, I built one of the FliteTest Might Mini-Arrows and got it maidened last weekend. Very easy build and flew well!.
I had it built up as a 3S FPV rig, but you could easily turn it into a casual 2S LOS wing.

I bought a few crash test hobbies 26" scythe kits with a discount because they were a little aesthetically marred (under 25 shipped ) Gonna take an used rcx 2205 2350kv motor and turn it into a 4s fpv beast.

peepsalot posted:

What VRX do you pair with that VTX?

The one on my headset or monitor. Standalone, the quanum diversity one is OK if you get in the service menu and make some changes shown on rcmodelreviews. I bet that $50 quanum headset works pretty good too (pair with the blue aomway 5.8 antennae for tx and rx)

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I bought a few crash test hobbies 26" scythe kits with a discount because they were a little aesthetically marred (under 25 shipped ) Gonna take an used rcx 2205 2350kv motor and turn it into a 4s fpv beast.

Yeah, I started printing out this last night, so I can turn it into a 4S monster:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1410967
The standard build can only fit 3S lipos. I also have a ton of 4S 1000mAh that will be perfect for this.

nerox
May 20, 2001

i81icu812 posted:

just buy a spektrum module for a taranis and have both?

Build a spektrum module you mean. :colbert:

In other news, my new inductrix motors arrived today so I can finish my Tiny Whoop.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

nerox posted:

In other news, my new inductrix motors arrived today so I can finish my Tiny Whoop.

I ordered my Tiny Whoop stuff yesterday. Can't wait to get my nuisance drone zipping through the hallways at work.

nerox
May 20, 2001

an AOL chatroom posted:

I ordered my Tiny Whoop stuff yesterday. Can't wait to get my nuisance drone zipping through the hallways at work.

Where did you find batteries? I ended up getting some 180mah 45c ones off amazon, I couldn't find the 205 mah mylipo.de ones in stock anywhere.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Anyone know what sort of longevity those tiny whoop motors have? In my experience, small brushed motors like that only get a couple hours total of run time before they start to crap themselves. Then again I crashed my nano quad (estes proto x nano) alot, which probably caused them to fail a bit earlier. Also what are people paying for the upgraded ones, assuming they are ever in stock?

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

nerox posted:

Where did you find batteries? I ended up getting some 180mah 45c ones off amazon, I couldn't find the 205 mah mylipo.de ones in stock anywhere.
Tiny Whoops are so hot right now that it's probably going to be a crap shoot for a while. ReadyMade RC started carrying them and the MMW motors, but they're out of stock too.

peepsalot posted:

Anyone know what sort of longevity those tiny whoop motors have? In my experience, small brushed motors like that only get a couple hours total of run time before they start to crap themselves. Then again I crashed my nano quad (estes proto x nano) alot, which probably caused them to fail a bit earlier. Also what are people paying for the upgraded ones, assuming they are ever in stock?
The MMW fast motors are $6 each or $23 for a four-pack, which is less than the horizon hobby stock replacements anyway. MMW claims 5-6 hours lifetime rating, but I haven't put that many on mine yet.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yeah, all of the stuff they recommended by name was sold out. I went with stuff from Amazon/EBay that had good reviews. I didn't know the little nano motors and batteries had such a short life. That actually explains a lot, though.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Multirotor superstore is getting a shipment in soon; they claimed mmw got chaoli to stop selling to them directly though (the particular kv versions at least)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 15, 2016

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

sigseven posted:

It sounds like you're trying to use a self-leveling mode (Angle or Horizon). Did you calibrate the accelerometer on a level surface? Also make sure you didn't accidentally change the trims on your transmitter. Note that even with self-leveling, it doesn't have the gps to hold the position, so when acted upon by wind and other forces, without some correction it will continue moving.

I'd really recommend doing the flight tests outside too. Flying a 250 indoors is just asking for property damage. Things can get out of control quick, especially for a new pilot with an unproven quad.

What is self-leveling mode?

I calibrated it on as level a surface as i can get here (i don't have a circular level, only a ruler, so i need to rotate it 90 degrees to get both axis)

I am fine with it drifting a bit up and down or not being perfectly perfectly still, but i was expecting it to not move in any compass direction when the only input it receives is throttle?

nerox
May 20, 2001
Tiny Whoop trip report: Fun to fly inside the house, tiny whoop and dog chase each other around.

I would go outside and try it, but its raining.

sigseven posted:

Tiny Whoops are so hot right now that it's probably going to be a crap shoot for a while. ReadyMade RC started carrying them and the MMW motors, but they're out of stock too.

I was at the Southeastern FPV event on Satuday, a vendor had about 5 inductrixes and 5 Hyperion branded cam/vtx's and they sold them all between 8:30am and 9:30am.

nerox fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 15, 2016

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Short clip from one of our night sessions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syk4_a3bxmI

I'm not flying quite that fast, though :)

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

Ineptitude posted:

What is self-leveling mode?

I calibrated it on as level a surface as i can get here (i don't have a circular level, only a ruler, so i need to rotate it 90 degrees to get both axis)

I am fine with it drifting a bit up and down or not being perfectly perfectly still, but i was expecting it to not move in any compass direction when the only input it receives is throttle?

Check out this blog post to understand the flight modes: https://oscarliang.com/rate-acro-horizon-flight-mode-level/

Is the drift always in one specific direction relative to the orientation of the quad? Or is it drifting in multiple/different directions?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A Yolo Wizard posted:

The scythe looks nice. I'm looking for something to replace my blunt nose versa when it finally takes its last crash, which crash test hobby wing would be best to carry a GoPro?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The scythe looks nice. I'm looking for something to replace my blunt nose versa when it finally takes its last crash, which crash test hobby wing would be best to carry a GoPro?

It would be better to use something like a möbius or other low profile camera, but I'd start with at least a 37" (check their xl models with more room for fpv gear.) there's also some stuff from sweepwings, or maybe the tbs wing with built in GoPro mount

The videos section and threads on rcgroups should give you a better idea what cth wings people have successfully stuck go pros on

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

A Yolo Wizard posted:

download fpv free rider and watch joshua bardwells tutorial (multi part)
I played this a bit over the weekend, and the control inputs were rather flaky, since I was using straight audio cable to PC mic input. But I ordered one of those PPM to USB converters and it came in today. Its working way better and things are quite a bit smoother.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised that FPVFreerider has a linux version. That combined with the PPM2USB lets me run it on my laptop, which is convenient for me.

Next step is to see if the signal coming out of a RX module would be the same as the one coming from that Turnigy 9X output jack, and make it into a wireless PC sim controller. I know they are both PPM, but maybe not sure if there are some difference like voltage levels or pulse/frame duration.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

sigseven posted:

Check out this blog post to understand the flight modes: https://oscarliang.com/rate-acro-horizon-flight-mode-level/

Is the drift always in one specific direction relative to the orientation of the quad? Or is it drifting in multiple/different directions?

It is going in a straight line, directly backwards. Its not moving fast but its fast enough to be a trouble for my non-.existant flying skills.

I'll have a look at your link!

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 16, 2016

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
There are a lot of possibilities, but I'd start with re-calibrating the accelerometer. You could try it in a different orientation on the surface and see if that changes the drift direction to rule that factor out.

Make sure your transmitter is sending 1500 at the neutral position using the Receiver tab in cleanflight. If not, use your transmitter's options/subtrims to center it.

Is the battery sitting at the back of the quad? If a heavy battery is pushing the center of gravity to the back, that could also cause this behavior. I think you could overcome it by increasing the pitch I-gain, but it'd really be better to move the battery forward so the CG is balanced around the flight controller.

It might just be covering up the underlying issue, but you should be able to use the trim controls on your transmitter to counteract the drift. Slowly increase the pitch trim until it hovers. The trim controls are the little two way switches to the sides of the sticks.

SPM
Jan 7, 2009
I'm nearly there on finishing building my quad, just a few questions linking everything up with the flight controller.

I'm using the Skyline 32 from Emax and I'm getting most of my understanding from this website. and assorted manuals.

The cable on the left, brown & red go to the pcb to power it and then the next four cables connect to my motors.
I'm guessing I just somehow remove the final 2 as they are for when you have more motors?

Then the cable at the bottom for the Flight controller, furthest right yellow cable goes to the LED strip and then how do I link with the first 3 on the left to my FrSKY x8r module?

Forgive me if this is obvious but I havn't found a website detailed enough for me and all the build videos I watch seem to just gloss of it...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

SPM posted:

I'm nearly there on finishing building my quad, just a few questions linking everything up with the flight controller.

I'm using the Skyline 32 from Emax and I'm getting most of my understanding from this website. and assorted manuals.

The cable on the left, brown & red go to the pcb to power it and then the next four cables connect to my motors.
I'm guessing I just somehow remove the final 2 as they are for when you have more motors?

Then the cable at the bottom for the Flight controller, furthest right yellow cable goes to the LED strip and then how do I link with the first 3 on the left to my FrSKY x8r module?

Forgive me if this is obvious but I havn't found a website detailed enough for me and all the build videos I watch seem to just gloss of it...

It's pretty much all explained from your link:

You need to match ground to ground, vdc to vdc and signal to signal on the RX. Colours are already the same (black/brown being ground)

You also need to set up the X8R for PPM.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Cppm is not an option for the x8r from my googling. You'll need to id the uart pins and probably follow a similar guide to connecting it to a naze32

Edit: the moral of the story is to stop buying Chinese naze32 clones and to start buying Chinese f3 board clones

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 16, 2016

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

ImplicitAssembler posted:

You also need to set up the X8R for PPM.

Don't do this. Just go buy a D4R-II receiver or XSR receiver and use CPPM. Otherwise, go dig up how to connect the X series receivers with s.bus to your flight controller

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I got my Hobbyking order in today for a bunch of my quad parts. Still waiting on a couple other orders from other retailers, but plenty of things to play around with for now.

I was trying out my motors and ESCs, with one of these little super cheap servo testers.

When I tested it, I could turn the knob and the motor spun up, and ran fairly smoothly. But I noticed that the top end of the knob, 90-100% I hear and feel(by holding the motor base) some roughness going on. Like its losing track of the motor position, and twitching the coils in the wrong direction briefly during the rotation. Any idea why it would do that? Poor signal from that servo tester? Or maybe some quirk of the ESC firmware? Its an afro 12A.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

peepsalot posted:

I got my Hobbyking order in today for a bunch of my quad parts. Still waiting on a couple other orders from other retailers, but plenty of things to play around with for now.

I was trying out my motors and ESCs, with one of these little super cheap servo testers.

When I tested it, I could turn the knob and the motor spun up, and ran fairly smoothly. But I noticed that the top end of the knob, 90-100% I hear and feel(by holding the motor base) some roughness going on. Like its losing track of the motor position, and twitching the coils in the wrong direction briefly during the rotation. Any idea why it would do that? Poor signal from that servo tester? Or maybe some quirk of the ESC firmware? Its an afro 12A.

I assume that this was without the prop on? If so, it's fairly normal.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Motor commutation is done in software in ESCs. How much commutations it can do per minute is therefore limited by the performance of the microcontroller. You're hitting the limit of the ESC. That said, without load (a prop) the motors spin way way faster, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I'm a newbie, but would like to do some aerial photography in the San Juan islands (Washington/Canada border). It seems like all DIY talk about AP has dried up as the Phantom has taken over, but I'd prefer something more disposable, or at least moddable to float. Any ideas?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
a phantom 3 with a getterback strapped to it.

or just dont drop your drone in the water

edit: or i guess the splash drone if you have a gopro and are really that worried

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm thinking about picking up a Tx/Rx and getting back into RC. I used Spektrum stuff and flew 3D planes, but this time around I'd like to get into quads (and resurrect my one remaining 3DHS plane). It looks like the FrSky Taranis is the pretty well accepted way to go?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...em_Mode_2_.html

It seems like when I got out of the RC hobby, everything suddenly became really cheap and great. I'm really not used to this module style Tx thing, and it's confusing as hell. Also as far as I can tell, I can get that Rx and a OrangeRX DSMX/DSM2 module and bind to an Inductrix, which I know nothing about but judging by this page is the New Hot poo poo.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

taranis all day

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Does this thread also discuss off-the-shelf drones as well as home-built? I want to buy one for recording video of local sporting events but I have zero interest in building one myself. And the Amazon reviews for drones have a lot of posts that look suspiciously like company shills.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kylaer posted:

Does this thread also discuss off-the-shelf drones as well as home-built? I want to buy one for recording video of local sporting events but I have zero interest in building one myself. And the Amazon reviews for drones have a lot of posts that look suspiciously like company shills.

What's your budget? What's the flying environment? What's the sporting event?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Budget wise, I saw some in the $1300-$1500 range on Amazon and would be fine spending that as long as I'm getting quality for the money. Flying environment is outdoors, mostly over fields with trees on the edges. The events are LARP combat games.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd reccomend a phantom 3 advance or pro, depending on whether or not you want 4K video (advance does 2.7k).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I scored a decent deal on a DJI Phantom FC40 with a Tarot stabilized gimbal and two batteries, and I just got a Gopro Hero 3 to fit the gimbal in the mail today. Any suggestions for drills on how to practice interesting aerial shots? I've tried to get a really nice circular hover, but haven't quite gotten the stick inputs down pat yet.