Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

What are the effects of equipping a shield whose stat requirements you don't meet?

Doesn't work and it takes an age to raise it into position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

hard counter posted:

I can't not carry the shield of want. Extra souls, good all round resists, stability, even the weight's reasonable for what it does. You might say it has everything you could want.

Shield of Want is an outstanding kite shield, you just need to have the 18 strength for it. The stability on it is nearly comparable to greatshields but at a fraction of the weight. The soul bonus is like 20%, it's nuts.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Just finished my second play through. Ended at level 28 with a +3 Carthus Curved Sword. Stayed at that level for Watchdogs, then decided to try and beat the game with it.

Soul of Cinder was tough! My first play through I beat him on my second try, by pretty much just trading hits with him. As he doesn't do that much damage. But with a +3 weapon I definitely didn't come out ahead. And the way he delays attacks in each of his phases really throws you off.

Really fun fight though. Except his katana form. gently caress that. There's like no openings to attack him. I just ran and chucked throwing knives until he changed weapons.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Vargatron posted:

Doesn't work and it takes an age to raise it into position.

Thanks. Then I guess I'm sticking with the grass shield 4 eva

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the effects of equipping a shield at all are immediate loss of cool guy status and impending mockery, naked giant sword hobo build best build

(actually not super great in DS3)

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Necc0 posted:

So I guess the most realistic option for me then is to finish my NG++ run to get all the rings, expressions, etc before starting entirely over just to grind farron keep?

Ugh that won't work because you have to have all the rings simultaneously. Fuuck. Guess grinding this out is my only choice :suicide:

You CAN drop the covenant rings, just not the items (grass, ears, etc). That's how I got my ring cheevo. If you are on PS4, I can drop the ones you need sometime. This evening is bad, but I should be around most of the rest of the week/weekend.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

It was humor, I wasn't actually questioning your ability to read item descriptions.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SynthOrange posted:

DS2 again. gently caress THESE DARK AREAS running around lighting all these sconces isnt a good mechanic

I really enjoyed lighting every sconce I could because ima filthy casul

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Necc0 posted:

So I guess the most realistic option for me then is to finish my NG++ run to get all the rings, expressions, etc before starting entirely over just to grind farron keep?

Ugh that won't work because you have to have all the rings simultaneously. Fuuck. Guess grinding this out is my only choice :suicide:

I had tons of fun as a Wolfbro in the first 2 weeks of the game, invasions were constant and I was able to grind the ring out in an afternoon with one character. I figure players got tired of being invaded and just played through unembered so nowadays you have way too many people queued up for too few invasion opportunities. It's pretty hopeless now. Such a shame too, it was tons of fun when you had people from almost every covenant in massive fights, with the added wildcard of the king crabs.

Filthy Hans fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 15, 2016

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Filthy Hans posted:

I had tons of fun as a Wolfbro in the first 2 weeks of the game, invasions were constant and I was able to grind the ring out in an afternoon with one character. I figure players got tired of being invaded and just played through unembered so nowadays you have way too many people queued up for too few invasion opportunities. It's pretty hopeless now. Such a shame too, it was tons of fun when you had people from almost every covenant in massive fights, with the added wildcard of the king crabs.

You're right, DS2 handled auto-invade covenants best by making it so that your human/ember status didn't matter.

For months and months the belltowers were packed to the gills.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Panty Saluter posted:

I really enjoyed lighting every sconce I could because ima filthy casul

I enjoyed lighting sconces in DS2 because the lighting effects in Scholar are really pretty, and slowly chaining together lit sconces in Gutter and seeing the vague shadows of the level standing out was a really striking look to me.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Vargatron posted:

The dumbest thing about DS2 darkness was that the torch was a limited use item and could only be lit by bonfires and other lit sconces.

I kept a torch in my left equip slot in DS3 and it was really helpful in a lot of areas.

Only use I've found for a torch in DS3 is just killing those bleed-inducing maggots if I whiff a dodge against certain enemies. Other than that, nothing in the game really needed it. As for torches in DS2, after running around a bit you should have a bunch to basically not even notice that they're limited use items (at least in SotFS). Not great, but not terrible. Then again, I found the gutter a bit less tedious than blight town, even on my first playthrough of DS2 vanilla on the PS3. Something about Blight Town really annoyed me. Although the swamp which followed wasn't that bad, beyond those dumb mosquitoes.

And I think DS2 handled auto summons in a number of ways. Also kept the blue eye orb and sin, which was quite useful. Even at level 150, I would sometimes get invaded by blue phantoms during subsequent runs of the game with that character.

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!
Just found time to start playing this, I got a great axe right away at the High Wall of Lothric which I'm told is a pretty good weapon, should I be specing for that right away or stick with the uchigatana that I beat up an old man to get?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Tallgeese posted:

You're right, DS2 handled auto-invade covenants best by making it so that your human/ember status didn't matter.

For months and months the belltowers were packed to the gills.

Yeah as much as I hated getting insta invaded the second I entered a bell tower it made for some memorable experiences and the fact that I couldn't get out of it by being hollow was cool and good IMO. Making optional side areas into invasion govenant areas seems like a good compromise between the "all PvP all the time" and "I don't want to PvP under any circumstances" camps.

nintendo65 posted:

Just found time to start playing this, I got a great axe right away at the High Wall of Lothric which I'm told is a pretty good weapon, should I be specing for that right away or stick with the uchigatana that I beat up an old man to get?

The great axe is very strong, one of the best strength weapons in the game, so use it if you like the moveset.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

nintendo65 posted:

if you want an easy time in pve then go STR, if you want a hard time go dex.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Having used both the Ugigatana and the Greataxe in seperate playthroughs, the greataxe is pretty much easy mode. It staggers basically every enemy in the game and can tear off huge chunks of bosses per swing. With some practice the slow swing speed can be ignored since you'll just time the swings to hit things the instant they get into range.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

PleasingFungus posted:

you should play games to have fun, rather than doggedly pursuing achievements. imo.

What the hell is 'fun'? I thought this was Dark Souls...?

HaB posted:

You CAN drop the covenant rings, just not the items (grass, ears, etc). That's how I got my ring cheevo. If you are on PS4, I can drop the ones you need sometime. This evening is bad, but I should be around most of the rest of the week/weekend.

I'm on PC but if this is great if true.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

turtlecrunch posted:

It was humor, I wasn't actually questioning your ability to read item descriptions.

jokes... i've heard of those.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Steelion posted:

Having used both the Ugigatana and the Greataxe in seperate playthroughs, the greataxe is pretty much easy mode. It staggers basically every enemy in the game and can tear off huge chunks of bosses per swing. With some practice the slow swing speed can be ignored since you'll just time the swings to hit things the instant they get into range.

well the weapons dont really matter. str just has access to greatshields which make most of the harder bosses trivial if you use the right shields.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Did people really have trouble with torches in DS2? I felt like those flame butterflies were pretty plentiful, and there weren't that many areas that really necessitated a torch

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

Iretep posted:

well the weapons dont really matter. str just has access to greatshields which make most of the harder bosses trivial if you use the right shields.

Yeah but if you use a shield then you can't two-hand the greataxe for even more damage.

nintendo65
Oct 16, 2008

Two universes separated by a membrane! It causes gravity! I have a uni degree in SCIENCE!!1!

Steelion posted:

Yeah but if you use a shield then you can't two-hand the greataxe for even more damage.

I feel like, as in my real life, clothing would only slow me down as well.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

RyokoTK posted:

Shield of Want is an outstanding kite shield, you just need to have the 18 strength for it. The stability on it is nearly comparable to greatshields but at a fraction of the weight. The soul bonus is like 20%, it's nuts.
On top of that the skill using RH weapon skill, which can surprise the poo poo out of people in PvP if they're not paying attention. Been a few times I've blocked a chain of SS/estoc spam and then bled the gently caress out of someone with an L2/R2 combo with the CCGS.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The shield of want is fantastic. I use it along with a dark sword for pve (shameful I know) and switch to gotthard twin swords and a knight's crossbow for pvp.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

QuarkJets posted:

Did people really have trouble with torches in DS2? I felt like those flame butterflies were pretty plentiful, and there weren't that many areas that really necessitated a torch

I never got far with vanilla DS2. Scholar just grabbed me a lot more effectively, and no I never had much trouble with torches or flame butterfly drop. In fact I played it too safe and had like 30 butterflies by endgame.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

Not to mention that fire arrows work to light sconces as well.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Yea even as a caster I had like 2 and 1/2 hours with of torch light and 20 butterflies left when I got to the DLC. And gently caress that DLC as a caster. I was doing great with my naked sorcerer run until I hit Sunken King and now I don't even want to play anymore. I went back to my UGS build guy and am now tearing through ng+ with a fume great sword, which is sort of boring but at least I look cool in my drakeblood set and pretty crown.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I think there were like two spots in the entire game where I felt like I needed a torch to know what was up, but even then there were sconces around to light.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

I decided to make a new character with a dex build and only using weapons with bleed. And holy poo poo does bleed trivialize a lot of encounters.

If you see a female named "Ash to Mouth" running around, that's me.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IMO every single game, no matter the type, there should always be some dark as gently caress area you slowly light up with torches because who doesn't enjoy doing that and getting some wide panoramic view of what you've accomplished?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

oldpainless posted:

IMO every single game, no matter the type, there should always be some dark as gently caress area you slowly light up with torches because who doesn't enjoy doing that and getting some wide panoramic view of what you've accomplished?

I like how when you fight the Dancer in this game the area is super dark but her attacks set more and more stuff on fire as the fight goes on. :black101:

I REALLY like in, Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, there's a fight where the room is almost totally dark and you fight this armored skeleton boss with a scythe but you can't tell that's what he is you just see a solid black silhouette but every time you hit him there's a little spark and him/the entire area lightens up slightly. Awesome. :D

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Neo Rasa posted:

I like how when you fight the Dancer in this game the area is super dark but her attacks set more and more stuff on fire as the fight goes on. :black101:

Yeah the one thing that really stood out to me for DS3 was how gorgeous a ton of the boss fights were. Fantastic animation / music / scenery

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I personally like how they did torches in BB best.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 15, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

I personally like how they did torches in BB best.

it's p much the same here: a garbage weapon that you can set some things on fire with

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's p much the same here: a garbage weapon that you can set some things on fire with

The (Hunter) torch actually had solid damage. Upgraded, and especially with some arcane, it did very good damage to beasts when you got it, and it stays pretty useful throughout for enemies weak to fire, especially the few that are super resistant to physical stuff.

The torch here has pretty poor damage except against dogs, and if you want fire to stun something like the leech monsters or the pus of mans then you're better off with something like Fireball.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Carl Seitan posted:

I decided to make a new character with a dex build and only using weapons with bleed. And holy poo poo does bleed trivialize a lot of encounters.

If you see a female named "Ash to Mouth" running around, that's me.

Are you talking about boss fights or what? Cause it's hard to believe you hit most normal enemies enough times or in rapid enough succession for bleed to work. At least that's how I remember it in previous games

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Manatee Cannon posted:

Those weird blob dudes in CSG for instance.

Speaking of fire damage, I did a 2nd playthrough as pyromancer after my great machete str build run and holy poo poo it's like not even playing the same game. Bosses like Pontiff, Aldritch, DSA, Ocieros, and Champion Gundyr just loving melt to a few great chaos fireballs. It's also nice that pyromancer still can use a lot of utility poo poo like heal spells, hidden body, spook, etc.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

RabidWeasel posted:

Versatility is all well and good but throwing a high damage unparryable hyper armour special attack into the moveset makes it go from being fairly good to incredible. Plus the nerf to the Washing Pole's phantom range makes using a different katana more inviting.

I'd probably argue that it's one of the best all round PvP weapons in the game now due to having so many different good options for punishing as well as being able to bleed.

I suspect they'll eat a small AR nerf at some point but will remain good due to all around versatility. I just wish more weapons had neat movesets like it.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Million Ghosts posted:

the effects of equipping a shield at all are immediate loss of cool guy status and impending mockery, naked giant sword hobo build best build

(actually not super great in DS3)

Nobody who plays video games is cool in the first place so this doesn't matter.

Seriously though, shields are like training wheels for souls games, a whole new game opens up to you once you ditch it. The shield reliant playstyle is very limiting, and needing to dodge everything makes you much more aware of enemy timing and positioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

The Spider Shield in DS3 is amazing. Great Magic Shield enchantable (which makes it 100% damage soak), fantastic stability - and it scales very well with upgrades. It's one of those shields that keeps getting stability every single time you upgrade. Also very light for what it does.

I like the Spider shield, on top of that it offers 50 poison damage (it isn't inmune to poison/toxic like DS1 while blocking but hey).

My pyro is really kicking now, a +7 chaos Thrall hatchet with quickstep owns but I want to use a skill shield for that so I can do 1h swings for the low stamina cost and I plan, as I can farm the materials, upgrade the shield to +9 to increase stability because I love grinding for stupid reasons. At the same time I'd love to use a shield enchanted with simple so I have three contenders for that:

Simple Eagle Kite Shield

Offers 95% physichal block but highest weight and lowest magic defenses

Simple Spider Shield

Lowest physichal block (76%), lowest weight and mediocre magic defenses but offers 50 poison resist (not even need to block for that).

Simple Wargod shield

Slightly better block (79%) but not THAT much compared to the spider, 0.5 more weight but better overall magic defenses compared to the other two.

What should I use for PVE? (On pvp I rather just use a target shield or caestus).

Edit: fixed a broken link.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jun 15, 2016