Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It took me a while before I realized Jadzia's old klingon friends were the same actors playing the same roles they had in TOS.

Now with foreheads and slightly less blackface!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Cardassians are basically Redditors. They hate the Space Jews, think it's appropriate for Garak to date a teenage girl, and practice negging-based courtship.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Squizzle posted:

Cardassians are basically Redditors. They hate the Space Jews, think it's appropriate for Garak to date a teenage girl, and practice negging-based courtship.

Please don't insult the cardies like this

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Now with foreheads and slightly less blackface!

Blackface and wonderbras, the two staples of TOS

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bajorans are NOT Space Jews. They have no industry, they have no worthwhile food, their culture pervades nowhere and is the foundation of no other cultures. Please don't be so offensive.

Bajor's own mis-management of Bajor is not akin to a Genocide. The Cardassians tried to save the Bajorans and when they had enough of the suicide bombings of their industrial works projects designed to stop the famine and left, Bajor went out and founded an indefensible New Bajor colony across the worm hole, in the middle of another year of crop failure on the homeworld mind you, that was wiped out allegedly by the Jem'Hadar, but you and I both know New Bajor got caught up in another fevered season of prayer and not planting so it was a New Famine on New Bajor that claimed them.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

hmm yes why would anyone want to compare these strongman-venerating racial supremacists who stand in opposition to a socially progressive Black man, to redditors????

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

shadow puppet of a posted:

Bajorans are NOT Space Jews. They have no industry, they have no worthwhile food, their culture pervades nowhere and is the foundation of no other cultures. Please don't be so offensive.

Bajor's own mis-management of Bajor is not akin to a Genocide. The Cardassians tried to save the Bajorans and when they had enough of the suicide bombings of their industrial works projects designed to stop the famine and left, Bajor went out and founded an indefensible New Bajor colony across the worm hole, in the middle of another year of crop failure on the homeworld mind you, that was wiped out allegedly by the Jem'Hadar, but you and I both know New Bajor got caught up in another fevered season of prayer and not planting so it was a New Famine on New Bajor that claimed them.

Cool Geordi av

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

In all seriousness, the Bajorans were originally (in the early Ensign Ro stuff) a stand-in for Palestinian people living under Israeli occupation. Someone eventually realized, hmm, maybe we should not represent Israel as a nation of scheming reptilians who lust for the suffering of these gentle farmers!!! And so Bajorans kind of shifted to represent the abstract idea of Oppressed People.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Blackface and wonderbras, the two staples of TOS

this is why DS9 is the true successor to TOS

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
The problem with Bajorans in DS9 (and the Ro episode where she left Starfleet) was that it always felt like an entire planet with about 35 people living in it. I understand that they were supposed to be decimated by the Cardassians, but it felt like overkill.

I think it was sort of the problem with lots of things from TNG onward: the ships never felt like housed more than a few dozen people instead of 1200, and the planets felt like they all had one major city with a few hundred residents. I suppose a lot of that was budget, but it's distracting.

Did TOS have their special effects redone? I watched it as a kid with my parents, but when TNG came along I never went back and got into TOS. I set up a series recording in my DVR and a week ago watched The Doomsday Machine, and the effects were distracting. It looked like CGI, but somehow still plastic and with the weird "nose down" way the ships flew.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

criscodisco posted:

The problem with Bajorans in DS9 (and the Ro episode where she left Starfleet) was that it always felt like an entire planet with about 35 people living in it. I understand that they were supposed to be decimated by the Cardassians, but it felt like overkill.

I think it was sort of the problem with lots of things from TNG onward: the ships never felt like housed more than a few dozen people instead of 1200, and the planets felt like they all had one major city with a few hundred residents. I suppose a lot of that was budget, but it's distracting.

Did TOS have their special effects redone? I watched it as a kid with my parents, but when TNG came along I never went back and got into TOS. I set up a series recording in my DVR and a week ago watched The Doomsday Machine, and the effects were distracting. It looked like CGI, but somehow still plastic and with the weird "nose down" way the ships flew.

They "redid" the effects 7 or 8 years ago for kicks. Most streaming sites only have that version, I think the only way to watch the original versions is with the old DVDs or the newer blu-Ray sets.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

If you go on Netflix you'll see the "enhanced" special effects edition. As some one who grew up watching the original, it neither helps nor harms the original show, but in "Doomsday Machine" it does add some context and breadth to what's going on. This was a network TV show from the 1960s. You got what you got and it was serviceable. If you wanted spectacular you'd have to spend millions like "2001" or wait ten years for "Star Wars".

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in the special edition the caretaker array shoots first

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Good to see Star Trek isn't missing out on the fad of lovely mobile games.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

criscodisco posted:

The dominion war in DS9 had the same problem.

You see Sisko pull up to a sweet rear end fleet of like 50 ships and they get into this huge fight with like 70-80 ships on screen (most are super tiny background ships) and then some character drops a line like "There are 2,100 Dominion Ships! We are outnumbered 2 to 1" So there were like 3,000 ships fighting?

Same thing about how 800,000,000 Kardashians were killed by Jem Hadar. All you ever see of Kardassia is a dingy street corner, someones house and a couple dudes standing on the same ledge overlooking the same skyline, but it was a world of Billions? We met like 6 Kardashians.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

Good to see Star Trek isn't missing out on the fad of lovely mobile games.

Oh they jumped right in there. To save an exhaustive explanation of a dumbass game, the short version is that you pay money for better characters. You start with lovely ones that can't do much but can roll for Nagus Rom or Commando Janeway or some poo poo that have high stats in certain areas.

BUT to level them up you need special items from special missions you can only run so many times (unless you pay money) AND you can increase their quality, but only if you have more of the same character (which cost money.) To effectively run all the missions to level your characters you need even more characters with different stats.

Aside from all of that there is zero actual gameplay, you just click "Complete mission." 100% of the gameplay is leveling up the various characters.

So of course that's why people have like $400 six star Grand Nagus Roms and poo poo.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Reminder that tomorrow is Captain Picard Day.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I'm watching Metamorphosis right now and boy, they really took some liberties with the Zephrym Cochrane character in First Contact. Also, the know-it-all daughter from Father Knows Best is a whiny pain in the rear end in any universe, it seems.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Reminder that tomorrow is Captain Picard Day.

hell yes

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Did you submit your artwork on time for him to judge?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Oh they jumped right in there. To save an exhaustive explanation of a dumbass game, the short version is that you pay money for better characters. You start with lovely ones that can't do much but can roll for Nagus Rom or Commando Janeway or some poo poo that have high stats in certain areas.

BUT to level them up you need special items from special missions you can only run so many times (unless you pay money) AND you can increase their quality, but only if you have more of the same character (which cost money.) To effectively run all the missions to level your characters you need even more characters with different stats.

Aside from all of that there is zero actual gameplay, you just click "Complete mission." 100% of the gameplay is leveling up the various characters.

So of course that's why people have like $400 six star Grand Nagus Roms and poo poo.

Thanks for the breakdown but "it is a mobile game" would have sufficed.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
a few weeks ago I downloaded the client for Star Trek Online. After it was done I never bothered to log on because what the gently caress was I thinking, I mean really?

Thats my star trek gaming story. Oh the one on SNES too I played that once.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

a few weeks ago I downloaded the client for Star Trek Online. After it was done I never bothered to log on because what the gently caress was I thinking, I mean really?

Thats my star trek gaming story. Oh the one on SNES too I played that once.

STO is really, really easy. Just bind all your phasers and torpedos to one button, flying in a circle, presenting your shields at their strongest point and mash the button until the mission complete text pops

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Booblord Zagats posted:

STO is really, really easy. Just bind all your phasers and torpedos to one button, flying in a circle, presenting your shields at their strongest point and mash the button until the mission complete text pops

Pretty much.

It was a fun time killer for a couple nights while I ran through most of the story stuff but yeah. And the ground stuff is booooooring.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Roylicious posted:

Pretty much.

It was a fun time killer for a couple nights while I ran through most of the story stuff but yeah. And the ground stuff is booooooring.

Yeah. They really should just make a "Skip away team" button. Like "Im a Picard, not a Kirk, just make the first officer do it"

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Did you submit your artwork on time for him to judge?

Hmmm.... what do you draw for the man who has already seen everything?

I'm worried it may be too late.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Skeesix posted:

Hmmm.... what do you draw for the man who has already seen everything?

not mine

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

A game where you just level up the whole time... It's like the ultimate sperg game :spergin:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
The old adventure games were pretty fun. I especially liked the TOS, Interplay ones. (25th anniversary&judgement rites) They felt like they could be episodes really (as far as I remember them at least) and there was no single way to get to the goal but you got the most points to act as "Federation" as possible. The CD versions also had all lines voice acted by the original actors. TNG also had one I never really got the chance to play through, but from what I remember, it was pretty decent too.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I had a TOS game on my Intellivision, but I don't remember much about it and I certainly don't remember it being much fun.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
That TNG point and click game was pretty cool when I played it. I never got very far though.

I kept wanting to set my phaser to kill to try and clear debris off of people, or shoot that space probe thing that couldn't die and kept shooting Geordi in the face or whatever.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Fat Shat Sings posted:

That TNG point and click game was pretty cool when I played it. I never got very far though.

I kept wanting to set my phaser to kill to try and clear debris off of people, or shoot that space probe thing that couldn't die and kept shooting Geordi in the face or whatever.

even the game hated geordi

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

criscodisco posted:

I had a TOS game on my Intellivision, but I don't remember much about it and I certainly don't remember it being much fun.

Nah, that was later. PC/later Mac era, like I said by Interplay, Decent stuff.

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Oh, I remember that. Right at the beginning. You had to somehow "poison" the power the probe was eating, in best technobabble fashion. (Of course I remember this, but not actually important things. Thanks Brain!) This also reminds me that the game had pretty cool (for that time) CGI cutscenes. Pretty eyecandy. You could also decide yourself who would go on the away team on missions and that'd change Dialoge (also voiced by the actors, there was no disk version) and the solutions at your disposal. It also had a clunky engineering and combat part where you could actually blow up the ship by screwing around with the energy options.

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

Cutting the hand of the dead klingon to get into that one door was my first gaming :psyduck: moment

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Space Armenians

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really want some of that Klingon coffee cappucino

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
lol @ Wesley, to big of a bitch to try the cool videogame.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

lol @ Wesley, to big of a bitch to try the cool videogame.

to be fair, Ashley Judd was the one telling him not to

also it's Wesley. there was a 0% chance he'd have tried the cool video game anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait so the huge turbonerd ignores the videogame in favor of mackin' on a hot lady and you guys still bust his nuts?? the gently caress is wrong with you