Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Antti posted:

It seems like they only got their hands on the generic stuff that would probably get distributed to all surrogates and whatnot, just a cliff notes on all the stupid poo poo he's said, not any actual research.

I'm very surprised if all the Democrats have is a pile of news articles you can find with google. But it's still noteworthy that they had someone put this together in December.

If I remember right, back in the 2008 campaign the Obama primary team had oppo research files ready to go on every single Republican candidate who made it to the point of being in debates, at a similar time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Not sure why you keep bringing up muzzle velocities, higher muzzle velocities tend to correspond with hunting rifles not the weapons you are trying to keep off the streets. The most dangerous weapons in the hands of criminals are low muzzle velocity and your 3,000 FPS limit would easily be circumvented with an AR15 by using a little less powder in your load (which brings up a whole other issue with trying to regulate muzzle velocity).

That's another one of those things. A gun that isn't fairly powerful in terms of the injury it causes isn't very useful for self defense, because it won't reliably stop an attacker. It's also not very useful for hunting larger game like deer since it won't kill an animal quickly and reliably, making it likely for it to run away and die slowly and painfully.

By contrast, one application a "low powered" gun is great for is menacing or murdering unarmed humans while remaining small and easily concealed. This is why places with better-planned gun control with the US, if anything, are more concerned with .25 ACP handguns than they are with any kind of rifle. But again, in the US if a new law targets handguns at all it's likely to target the big scary looking ones first, anything else only as part of broadening blanket rules. It's a pretty big deal that American gun control advocates are lovely at proposing useful laws even if you want more gun control, in much the same way that American "small government" conservatives are terrible even if you honestly believe Big Government is keeping us down.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I used to do this. The problem is that right wing media has so much misinformation that it's impossible to track and debunk it all, so the net effect of listening is just that it makes you dumber and less well informed.

Rachel Maddow vs. Literally Glen Beck is not really the most fair comparison.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Lol at the TASER being an assault weapon. Also nice job giving the state total control over morality, life and death. Very liberal of you. (Oh no wait, eat poo poo you fascist)

They already don't?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Killer robot posted:

This is why places with better-planned gun control with the US, if anything, are more concerned with .25 ACP handguns than they are with any kind of rifle. But again, in the US if a new law targets handguns at all it's likely to target the big scary looking ones first, anything else only as part of broadening blanket rules. It's a pretty big deal that American gun control advocates are lovely at proposing useful laws even if you want more gun control, in much the same way that American "small government" conservatives are terrible even if you honestly believe Big Government is keeping us down.

Seriously this. Everyone gets their panties all in a wad over AR variants and other military-ish looking rifles, but handguns, especially the smaller ones, are a far larger problem.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Lol at the TASER being an assault weapon. Also nice job giving the state total control over morality, life and death. Very liberal of you. (Oh no wait, eat poo poo you fascist)

Do you introduce yourself as "Bond, James Bond" at parties?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sean10mm posted:

I think you misunderstand me, actually I'm cool with banning all kinds of poo poo, just based on quantifiable things like "Can it shoot a shitload of bullets really fast without reloading?" Because that's what has no practical use outside killing shitloads of people.

What does the entire rest of the civilized world do? Let's just do that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Pulse owner promises to reopen club: ‘We will not let hate win’

quote:

Barbara Poma, the club’s owner, said in an emotional interview with NBC: “I can’t stop imagining what it was like. I don’t think I’ll ever stop.”

She opened the club as a tribute to her gay brother who died of AIDS related illness, as she described the club as a “safe fun place to come and be who you are, simple as that.”

The club was in honour of one soul that was lost and now there are 49 others that have lost their lives.

“It has to do with your heartbeat. Your life. You have to keep the heartbeat alive.”

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Also, ahahaha at this.

And thinking about it, wasn't that one of the big arguments against the ERA? Maybe we can revisit that now since we went ahead and done it without.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pumpinglemma posted:

Actually it's still really important from a risk analysis viewpoint. Pulling numbers completely out of my arse, suppose you have a law making it inconvenient to have an automatic weapon/have a lovely car emissions system. Let's say that both laws can be easily and legally bypassed, but are enough to deter 95% of the general gun/car-using population. For cars, that's great, because one car driver is pretty much like another - even allowing for SUVs and similar, your policy will still probably be at least 90% effective. For guns, that's less great, because almost all of the criminals and mass shooters you were trying to deal with in the first place will be part of the 5% bypassing the law. So your policy doesn't do poo poo. (Normally you'd get at least some benefit from people being too stupid to use google, but if these nudge-nudge-wink-wink things are being sold in mainstream gun shops then you don't even get that.)

Basically, as far as I can tell, if you're trying to make mass shooting-friendly weapons illegal then you basically have to ban all guns except bolt-action rifles and derringers. This would be fine by me, but probably won't be feasible for another few decades, so it would be better to come up with an alternative approach in the meantime.

You're missing the point, the idea is to empower regulators to ban or control weapons that can be easily modified into banned or controlled weapons. The fact regulators are restricted to specific stupid physical features should be fixed by allowing regulators to expand the scope when workarounds are devised towards the goals of reducing deaths due to dangerous guns.

I think the ability to more aggressively regulate accident prone weapons is a big part too. Regulators need to be able to force manufacturers to fix guns that are accident prone by design at their cost.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

MariusLecter posted:

They already don't?

If only there was a handy tool you could use to combat the agents of the state... (Thats right, i'm going full y'all quaeda) . Sure they have drones and tanks and the most advanced army in the world, but look how that worked out in afghanistan. I beleive the Taliban, a force we've been trying to eliminate for 13 years, numbers something like 60,000.

"under a million" signed up for hunting permits last year. in Pennsylvania alone

BTW, the three month paperwork waiting list with heavy background checks sounded like a fantastic idea to me. I had no objection to handing over my fingerprints and records in order to operate aircraft, pretty painless for everything but the wallet. Dont ban anything just make law enforcement not terrible.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 15, 2016

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
When I was a kid, I wanted so badly to live in smart, advanced Europe and not brutish, backward America. But then I grew up, and now I have no desire to do a second-rate emulation of brave Europa. We are what we are, and it is bad-rear end.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

Also, ahahaha at this.

And thinking about it, wasn't that one of the big arguments against the ERA? Maybe we can revisit that now since we went ahead and done it without.

Hooters is usually the argument I hear why the ERA is impossible.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If only there was a handy tool you could use to combat the agents of the state... (Thats right, i'm going full y'all quaeda) . Sure they have drones and tanks and the most advanced army in the world, but look how that worked out in afghanistan. I beleive the Taliban, a force we've been trying to eliminate for 13 years, numbers something like 60,000.

6 million people signed up for hunting permits last year. in Pennsylvania alone

Good troll, 7/10.

Would laugh at again.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

human beings generally prefer to have the remains of their deceased loved ones, for a ritual known as 'burial'

My question is: Why didn't Disney isolate the beach? Its Florida for fucks sake, Alligators are everywhere. Way to go risk assessment team.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

BTW, the three month paperwork heavy waiting list with heavy background checks sounded like a fantastic idea to me. Dont ban anything just make law enforcement not terrible.

You do realize that Ya'll Qaeda got their asses handed to them and couldn't even do basic tactics and logistical planning, right?

That doesn't really provide a great example of why US militia would have chance against Government forces.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Where did you get that number? It is wrong. Total hunting license holders in PA is under a million.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Where did you get that number? It is wrong. Total hunting license holders in PA is under a million.

He made it up. That or Pennsylvania is really stingy on their hunting licenses (12 million total population).

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

My question is: Why didn't Disney isolate the beach? Its Florida for fucks sake, Alligators are everywhere. Way to go risk assessment team.

You do realize that Ya'll Qaeda got their asses handed to them and couldn't even do basic tactics and logistical planning, right?

That doesn't really provide a great example of why US militia would have chance against Government forces.

You do realize that Ya'll Quaeda was 20 retards and not an actual insurrection, right?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

You do realize that Ya'll Quaeda was 20 retards and not an actual insurrection, right?

Why would an actual insurrection do any better?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CommieGIR posted:

it's a resort beach that was created for leisure, they probably had some half assed gator mitigation plan that had never failed so there was no reason to question it

there's a little sign that says no swimming but thats it, if you weren't acting with an abundance of caution you'd probably see nothing wrong with letting your kids splash around in the water

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Equality! Women will have to register for the draft starting in 2018. #feminism

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Maoist Pussy posted:

Because the rest of the bloviating pussies that talk mad poo poo about fighting the government were too scared to show up and get hellfire'd by some kid sitting in an air conditioned trailer somewhere. They know they're dead if they ever actually try anything so 99.99% of them will never make it past tough talk on the internet.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

Why would an actual insurrection do any better?

If you can answer that question, they will have you teaching at West Point, mate.

Nomad175
Oct 14, 2012

By not beating me, he has beaten me.

I'm just upset at the people spelling y'all wrong

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

If you can answer that question, they will have you teaching at West Point, mate.

No they won't, because the morons who want an insurrection right now are not capable of carrying it out. Mentally or physically.

fknlo posted:

Because the rest of the bloviating pussies that talk mad poo poo about fighting the government were too scared to show up and get hellfire'd by some kid sitting in an air conditioned trailer somewhere. They know they're dead if they ever actually try anything so 99.99% of them will never make it past tough talk on the internet.

Seriously, for all the talk about 'The military will back us! We're the citizens!', they forget that the military is DAMNED good at painting anyone whose a threat as either a combatant or a terrorist. The military will most likely be intact in an insurrection.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

CommieGIR posted:

No they won't, because the morons who want an insurrection right now are not capable of carrying it out. Mentally or physically.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Joementum posted:

Equality! Women will have to register for the draft starting in 2018. #feminism

why do we still have to register for the draft

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

WW3 or CW2

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

An unreliable source i guess. Thanks for the correction sir, post edited. The point still stands i think. PA gun owners might not outnumber the Taliban by 100, but i'm confident its at least by 10.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait, we are suppose to register for the draft? I thought that was like just automatic thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah, our country is just full of ex-Baathist tacticians and has no air cover whatsoever nor a well armed and trained army to repel such a force.

We're doomed.

Hollismason posted:

Wait, we are suppose to register for the draft? I thought that was like just automatic thing.

Well, men are automatically registered. Before such a system was in place (World War 1 and 2, etc.) you did have to register and show your draft card if asked for it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's a resort beach that was created for leisure, they probably had some half assed gator mitigation plan that had never failed so there was no reason to question it

there's a little sign that says no swimming but thats it, if you weren't acting with an abundance of caution you'd probably see nothing wrong with letting your kids splash around in the water

Not gonna lie, I'd love to read their risk assessment.

They're probably well within sane dollars-to-lives bounds in state government terms (which in turn dramatically outspend almost all private corporations), if we ignore for a moment the part where they market Disney World as a perfectly safe fantasyland.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

"under a million" signed up for hunting permits last year. in Pennsylvania alone

BTW, the three month paperwork waiting list with heavy background checks sounded like a fantastic idea to me. I had no objection to handing over my fingerprints and records in order to operate aircraft, pretty painless for everything but the wallet. Dont ban anything just make law enforcement not terrible.

The Taliban insurgency is only effective in the sense it causes enough damage for the US to say "gently caress this I'm going home", if we wanted to we could easily occupy that country in perpetuity. In a scenario of rebelling against the US government in the US there is no limit at which the government decides "gently caress it our survival just isn't worth this money".

Armed populace is effective only in that it forces the Military into having to make the decision to either defect (which is the only way that rebellion succeeds) or start shooting civilians, bolt-action rifles get you to that point.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Hollismason posted:

Wait, we are suppose to register for the draft?

It's called Selective Service and you sign up when you're 18, usually in High School.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No really you actually have to register for the draft?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hollismason posted:

its automatic im p sure, i dont actually know

i dont even have a draft card to burn or anything, very disappointing

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

So that if a war breaks out that is serious enough to require doubling our armed forces, we can start right away without having to figure out who is even eligible to be drafted?

Edit: Look at all the other people who answered that faster than I did. I'm slow.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

i dont even have a draft card to burn or anything, very disappointing

It's largely electronic and automatic now.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
You do not have to register, however, if you do not you cannot receive benefits from the federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hollismason posted:

I'm pretty sure you just get automatically ticked when you go to the DMV.

• Locked thread