Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

A Loud Fart posted:

Thanks! This just popped up on Craigslist

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5632381012.html

Pretty nice, this would be my first bike. When you're looking at the carburetor, is there anything that I should pay attention to other than the boot and fuel lines? In warm weather the bike should start right up and idle smoothly, right?
It's definitely the right color.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

A Loud Fart posted:

Thanks! This just popped up on Craigslist

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5632381012.html

Pretty nice, this would be my first bike. When you're looking at the carburetor, is there anything that I should pay attention to other than the boot and fuel lines? In warm weather the bike should start right up and idle smoothly, right?

I don't know market price, but I really did enjoy my Ninja 500. Plenty of muscle to keep you busy but not enough to be dumb, cheap to insure, decent aftermarket, and there's an entire and active forum for enthusiats with a good wiki and everything (ex-500.com)

Not sure your intent, but though they look a little plain-Jane with the fairings on, if you strip them they make awesome looking little streetfighters:

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!
A guy is trying to sell me a 1984 Honda CB700SC. About 27k miles, needs a carb job and maybe a new battery. Other than that it looks great and starts up ok. Paint still has a mirror finish. Wants 1300. Buy or no buy?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
How many other motorbikes do you own? It's never "only a carb job". If it's your first, get something that works 100% and isn't 500 pounds wet and 3 decades old. Unless it has been restored recently, but "carb job" kinda rules that out.

You don't want to chase mystery gremlins on an old bike only made for 3 years 30 years ago only for the us market.

Murphys Stache
Oct 5, 2007

There goes my nipples again!
Good point. It's not my first bike, but it'd be the only one i currently own. I was thinking it might be a fun project to try and restore it, maybe learn some stuff about motorcycle mechanics.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Supradog posted:

How many other motorbikes do you own? It's never "only a carb job". If it's your first, get something that works 100% and isn't 500 pounds wet and 3 decades old. Unless it has been restored recently, but "carb job" kinda rules that out.

You don't want to chase mystery gremlins on an old bike only made for 3 years 30 years ago only for the us market.

Sometimes it is "only a carb issue" but that's usually only if it's a modern-ish bike that's been well cared for, and just sat for a season.
Unfortunately it's an 80's Honda, so... gently caress your life. I've never seen one that wasn't an insane labor of love.
But in this case even if it was "just carbs" for this particular bike, the carbs on that thing are a loving nightmare. Run away. Also, glhf trying to find parts.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Sometimes it is "only a carb issue" but that's usually only if it's a modern-ish bike that's been well cared for, and just sat for a season.
Unfortunately it's an 80's Honda, so... gently caress your life. I've never seen one that wasn't an insane labor of love.
But in this case even if it was "just carbs" for this particular bike, the carbs on that thing are a loving nightmare. Run away. Also, glhf trying to find parts.

Also a "carb issue" on a 4 cylinder is actually a "4 carb issue". If it is minty besides the carbs they may only need a cleaning, but a titled nonrunning 80's bike (certain rare/desirable models notwithstanding) is worth at the most $500-$800, to me anyway. At that price the worst case scenario is you part it out. The 80's were the dark ages of bikes, very few are desirable from that era. Though I do wonder if at some point some fashion trend is going to make them valuable. " 82 Yamaha Maxim, VERY RARE, desirable KQ seat option".

If you're looking for something to tinker on and learn about bikes get a dual sport thumper. Soooooo easy to work on.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

builds character posted:

Wait, why do you think tall is uncomfortable? Just not being able to touch when you stop? I found that went away after a couple days. Just scoot over to one side and put the one foot down.

Vs and vstrom are decent choices. Maybe an older f650 Dakar? Tons of info on them out there so you can do your own maintenance.

Not being able to touch when I stop poses a problem when I'm out in the wilderness. I spent a lot of time on the older model KLRs and I dumped them more than a few times just trying to find a place to put a foot down. 30" inseam makes things tough.

I'll probably check out the Yamahas, maaaabye the strom but I'm not sure it's going to be any better in the dirt than the Bonnie.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
30 inch inseam buddy: you're never going to be able to comfortably get a foot down on any bike that's halfway decent off-road, so just learn to pick your spots and live with it. Also if you ever get into real off-road bikes you have to learn to handle much worse, so it's a good idea to just learn to handle a tall bike. If you buy a dual sporty thing it should handle falling over just fine :)

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
It's even funnier when you try to put a foot down in MX boots.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Z3n posted:

30 inch inseam buddy: you're never going to be able to comfortably get a foot down on any bike that's halfway decent off-road, so just learn to pick your spots and live with it. Also if you ever get into real off-road bikes you have to learn to handle much worse, so it's a good idea to just learn to handle a tall bike. If you buy a dual sporty thing it should handle falling over just fine :)

30" inseam at 4'2" is pretty impressive. :monocle:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I had a lot of very expensive surgeries.

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013
So I'm having some issues with bike ADD.

Every time I think i have my mind set on a bike I'll think of another idea and then go that direction for a couple of days/weels, then change my mind. This will be my first motorcycle, got my license a year ago. As far as my experience the only thing on two wheels that I've ridden on the street is my buddies '15 DRZ400SM, and that was one time for around 45 minutes. I want a bike that I can grow my skill with that will also move my big ol' self around with no issues. Low maintainence and dependability are the biggest boxes I want checked after that.

My budget is realistically ~$2,000.
I'm 6'4" ~270lbs so height isn't an issue. Working on getting lighter.
I want to do track days eventually.
I want to go off road some but I'm not 100% sure how much I will be doing.
I have a lovely driveway that some cars can't navigate.
I'd probably end up riding around on the road most of the time.

Bikes I've considered are Suzuki DRZ400SM, DRZ400, DR 650, SV650, Gladius, Bandit 600, Kawasaki KLR650, Ninja 650, 05-06 ZX6R (the bike that really got me into bikes in the first place back in the day), Honda XR650L and R (I know I'd have to convert it to street legal), Yamaha WR450SM, FZ6.

Lately I've been on the SV650 train but after reading ~30 pages on the SV thread for info and with my local market (ATL) and with it being riding season everything is pretty high. Am I even in the right wheelhouse? Do I need to provide anymore info? Any help in the right direction is appreciated.

*edit*
I also read some z3n's thread today aaaaaaand now I want a 690 duke. See what I mean?

Eaterofpoptarts fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 14, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Bike ADD is normal and is why half the posters here buy and sell bikes every few months. The good thing about a cheap entry level bike like a ninja 250 (which will still haul your goonfat rear end just fine) or scratched up sv650 is that next year you can sell it for about what you paid for it, and put that money towards a different bike for the new season.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Sup ATL bro!

Welcome to the hell of wanting every single bike. The only way out is to have multiple bikes. I find having two that you love, but are on opposite ends of the spectrum, is the sweet spot. Or N+1, whatever works.

Your list of bikes for your frame and weight are good, but most of them won't fit the $2000 requirement, and our market is awful right now.

I like this one, for you:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5528257110.html 2002 SV650 $2000

but, if you can do it, this would be a way better bike. Price is still crazy high, and I'd pay no more than $2200 (why are pregens still so expensive?! they were ex250 territory a few years ago!)
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5614882326.html $2500 2002 SV650

Coydog fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 14, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

Bike ADD is normal and is why half the posters here buy and sell bikes every few months.

Fuckkkkkk, it's so bad.
:negative:

Eaterofpoptarts
Oct 7, 2013

HotCanadianChick posted:

Bike ADD is normal and is why half the posters here buy and sell bikes every few months. The good thing about a cheap entry level bike like a ninja 250 (which will still haul your goonfat rear end just fine) or scratched up sv650 is that next year you can sell it for about what you paid for it, and put that money towards a different bike for the new season.

I'm definitely leaning towards the SV650 for sure, but I'll keep the 250 in mind. I just didn't think it would safely move me around or be all that comfortable since they're small bikes.

Coydog posted:

Sup ATL bro!

Sup dude! Not actually in ATL more like Snellville/Loganville area but I say ATL because nobody knows where those are. I just finished your thread about your road trip, good god man stories like yours are the reason I want to get a bike so badly and as soon as possible. PLEASE do it again soon so that I can continue to live vicariously through you.

I don't know if these questions should go here or the sv650 thread. What should i look for when I'm looking at 1st gen SV's? Obviously the cleaner the example the better, but what problem ares should I keep an eye out for?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I feel like I could probably scrub most of my desire for a 125 by fixing up my road bicycle and fitting an aftermarket motor on it (gas or electric, idgaf)

Been years since I looked into it though, and the market didn't seem great last time. Bicycles are YLLS poo poo but I doubt they'd have a thread about ruining their exercise potential huh?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Look the simple advice is buy cheap bikes you can sell after you've ridden them for awhile. Buy anything that's a screaming deal and just sell it for a slightly less screaming deal down the road. If you do it right you can own bikes without paying much at all for the privilege, and get a bunch of experience.

I think it took 40 something bikes before I paid more than 3.5k for a bike.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Don't buy a zx6r as a first bike unless you are actively seeking to donate your organs. Or any 600cc crotch rocket for that matter.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Not being able to touch when I stop poses a problem when I'm out in the wilderness. I spent a lot of time on the older model KLRs and I dumped them more than a few times just trying to find a place to put a foot down. 30" inseam makes things tough.

I'll probably check out the Yamahas, maaaabye the strom but I'm not sure it's going to be any better in the dirt than the Bonnie.

I'm not trying to solicit advice or anything but you should know that this is happening: https://youtu.be/YId9Pr_RlIo

importantly, he could've gotten a lower bike. he didn't

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Chichevache posted:

30" inseam at 4'2" is pretty impressive. :monocle:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

I had a lot of very expensive surgeries.

EXXXTREME SCOLIOSIS!!! Powered by RedBull(tm)

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Honestly, I can say that I have no interest in taking my Bonneville off road. It's awkward and top-heavy at low speeds. Yes, it has a low seat, but any sort of drop and your $400 aluminum engine covers are toast. It has no clearance. Even if that isn't an issue, then the stock suspension is a joke. Brake dive for days, and the rear suspension is basically two Twizzlers slightly reinforced with pot metal.

You might be able to get by with the scrambler (the higher pipes would pay dividends). But prepare to upgrade the suspension, tires(?), and add misc. protection for the bike if you're serious about the offroading.

For the amount you're going to put into it, I would heavily consider getting a dual sport/adventure bike and lowering the thing so it actually will give you the results you're looking for. The G/F650GS can be factory lowered down to a 30.3 inch seat height, which should allow you to get close to flat footing. The following site seemed like it had a few bikes on the list that would get close to meeting your needs of on-and-off-road versatility while allowing for lower seat height.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/top-10-adventure-motorcycles-for-short-riders/

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I also have a 30" inseam, and I'll echo 'just get used to never being able to flatfoot'. My KTM 200EXC was so ridiculously tall that I could only tiptoe the left side in motoboots at a stop, but since I would regularly fling it off the top of a climb, dropping it every so often when I happened to stop in a dip wasn't a big deal (other than having to kick that misjetted bastard to life for twenty minutes each time I dropped it). It didn't have a kickstand either, so I got pretty good at stopping right next to trees.

Man, maybe I should get another dirtbike.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Unlike the hivemind, I had a DRZ for awhile and hated the height forever.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

predictive posted:

I also have a 30" inseam, and I'll echo 'just get used to never being able to flatfoot'. My KTM 200EXC was so ridiculously tall that I could only tiptoe the left side in motoboots at a stop, but since I would regularly fling it off the top of a climb, dropping it every so often when I happened to stop in a dip wasn't a big deal (other than having to kick that misjetted bastard to life for twenty minutes each time I dropped it). It didn't have a kickstand either, so I got pretty good at stopping right next to trees.

Man, maybe I should get another dirtbike.

I'm also 30" inseam. Rekluse clutch was my best friend offroad.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
My inseam is like 28" and I'm 5'6". MSF course taking is happening next month.

Went to the used bike shop last weekend and sat Ina bunch of more the naked/sport bikes. Was interested in the SV650 but the CBR500 they had was so light and comfortable. That was more like a 3rd choice for me based on research.

Helps I went with someone and know a group of people when have been riding a long time. They have tons of info between them cause they are the type to test ride/borrow/blog review bikes and just owned many over the years.

So anyway, the Ducati Monster was low enough so I'm thinking something like CBR500 first and then something fun like that in a year or two once I feel more confident. Might also check out some standard bikes, and the Triumph street triple so will be good to go to the local place that deals in Triumph and sit on more of those as well.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

JHVH-1 posted:

Went to the used bike shop last weekend and sat Ina bunch of more the naked/sport bikes. Was interested in the SV650 but the CBR500 they had was so light and comfortable. That was more like a 3rd choice for me based on research.

I don't think my first researched choice of bike (or car) has ever survived the test ride. I obsess about stats on paper, decide what the best choice is, actually go ride it, and promptly buy something else instead. I just did this with the BMWS1000R vs a Speed Triple.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Like so much in life, the answer to being short is to listen to this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofbKh6BIe0

M42
Nov 12, 2012

That video owns, can't believe I haven't seen it before.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

M42 posted:

That video owns, can't believe I haven't seen it before.

I remember a video of a guy who was paraplegic who had two wheels that came down as he slowed to a stop. :getin:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Coredump posted:

I remember a video of a guy who was paraplegic who had two wheels that came down as he slowed to a stop. :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sVEIu_SG_E

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Barnsy posted:

Test rode a VFR800 today. Very nice bike. Surprisingly sporty position. All the creature comfort (heated grips, TC) were great, and holy crap is that v4 fun. Had to calm myself down, kept trying get VTEC to kick in.

$13490 AUD is too steep though given how few they're selling. I can easily get a Ninja 1000 with ABS and 10k km for under 10k.

Why oh why did Australia not import and ABS version of the previous VFR generation?

These ('14+) are at the top of my list but I need to finish recovering and buy all new gear before I can test one out. They are insanely overpriced here in Canada too, and there are almost no used ones out there.

We did get ABS models of the previous gen though... Nice '07 anniversary tri-colour for sale with low kms near me...

<edit>

These VFR800s seem like the perfect bike for wanting to commute every day but then on weekends, toss the ol' lady on the pillion and throw the hard luggage up and go for a few thousand kilometre trip. Does this sound right for anyone who owns or has owned a VFR?

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The seating position is a touch canted forward for that, but that'd totally work. I rode a buddy's for a while with risers on it and it was great, if a bit on the heavy side.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well they made the new one a tad lighter so I assume it's now the perfect bike is what I hear you saying and I should finance one new yes?

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

These ('14+) are at the top of my list but I need to finish recovering and buy all new gear before I can test one out. They are insanely overpriced here in Canada too, and there are almost no used ones out there.

We did get ABS models of the previous gen though... Nice '07 anniversary tri-colour for sale with low kms near me...

<edit>

These VFR800s seem like the perfect bike for wanting to commute every day but then on weekends, toss the ol' lady on the pillion and throw the hard luggage up and go for a few thousand kilometre trip. Does this sound right for anyone who owns or has owned a VFR?

Basically the exact reasons I'm interested. They'd be perfect for the commute on the highway and twisties on the weekend + occasional trips with the lady friend. The thing was on rails on the few corners I took, it feels fantastic if a little heavy.

Like Zen said, I was surprised how far forward the seating position was when I tested it, but Honda sells OEM risers that seem quite popular (and I'm sure you could get the same thing on ebay for half the price).

If I get lucky and get one, I'll try it out stock and see how it goes. First change will be to get rid of that hideous exhaust and let the V4 howl a bit more.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

VERTiG0 posted:

<edit>

Yep. As others have said they are a bit heavy and unwieldy when you're pushing it around with your legs but get them moving and they are very easy to ride. So easy that they are considered by many to be boring, and I get that. It's an all around bike and compromises must be made. I owned a 95 but have read a bunch of reviews on the new model and they all mention that it feels like a VFR should (and NOT like a VFR1200). Not much has changed with the frame, motor, or suspension since gen 3/4. If you can find a discounted one it is a helluva deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

How narrow are they? Sport tourers don't seem awesome at lanesplitting. But the super wide handlebars on my FZ 07 aren't too great either I suppose. Also, I keep knocking mirrors with cars. The stock mirrors on an FZ are the most worthless mirrors ever, they just point directly at my shoulders.