Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Bang3r posted:

I think the exposure on these is fine but it's something you could fix easily enough, I love this but I wish the lights weren't in frame! have you tried removing them?

I tried for a while but had no real luck. Granted, I'm pretty lovely at post-processing so it might just take some more effort from me.

If it makes you feel any better, here's a similar photo sans lights :)
Moto X Practice by Connor West, on Flickr

Spaced God fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Underexposed is better than overexposed. You can always bring out the detail in post. I always shoot a tad lower than I need to just in case.

I also hope the X games come near me. I've always wanted to get into skateboard photography. That big air ramp is nuts.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Keeneland Training3 by B. B., on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dang I dig this a bunch.

So yeah, a 10FPS burst mode is awesome for 3 gun competition.

BRW91969 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW91232 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW90964 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW91019 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

BRW80266 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You should totally get in front of them so you can capture their faces. :buddy:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

You should totally get in front of them so you can capture their faces. :buddy:

lol

trust me, I was looking around during breaks to see how a remote setup would be at all feasible because that would rule

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Down, the side looking up is how military do

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Got hired again. Also this time was special because someone let me borrow their 70-200 2.8 L and oh my god....

This one breaks the rules but I like it. The action, the intensity, the rooster tails of shredded tires...

This guy just got elbowed in the face as you can tell

The Aftermath of a foul

This dude was crazy btw. He was jumping and diving all over the place to clear balls. He also jumped super cool, like he'd rise up really high and seem to float there for a second before coming back down.

I missed a great opportunity with this shot. Just to the right is Mt. Rainer, and I have it in the uncropped version but it just didn't seem right to keep it in. Which is a shame.

Album here: http://imgur.com/a/TTVrC

Let me know what you think. Still looking to improve a bunch. Feels great to get paid to do this.

The ref that was officiating is apparently one level below the professional level. They fly him all over to do games. It's crazy. We exchanged numbers in case there are some events that need photographing, so it's nice to know I got a connection. He said if he doesn't mess up in 5 years he'll be doing pro level soccer.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

Let me know what you think. Still looking to improve a bunch. Feels great to get paid to do this.

The shots look good in terms of composition. It looks to me that the highlights are blown in quite a few of the shots - tough to shoot white jerseys probably but try bringing down the highlights a bit IMO.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

The shots look good in terms of composition. It looks to me that the highlights are blown in quite a few of the shots - tough to shoot white jerseys probably but try bringing down the highlights a bit IMO.

I tried this in Lightroom but couldn't get it how it would be better. Any suggestions?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Soulex posted:

I tried this in Lightroom but couldn't get it how it would be better. Any suggestions?

Did you shoot them in RAW or jpeg?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I shot Raw. I didn't play around with them in photoshop, just Lightroom

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In general I underexpose a couple stops when shooting in clear sun to avoid completely blowing out the whites. There's still probably going to be some peaking but it'll be small enough to give you some wiggle room in Lightroom. Just make it a habit to take a couple test shots and look at the histogram and compensate to avoid losing too much in shadows or highlights.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shoot people shooting guns while shooting film :radcat:

Roll1_00000001 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

13crop by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Roll1_00000001 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Roll1_00000011 by Ben Wilcox, on Flickr

Pretty sure this last one was on some Kodak Gold 200, that expired in 2004 :v:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
lol @ the gopro

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HookShot posted:

lol @ the gopro

yeah, there were more than a few goofy rigs like that, it was great

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
The Defensive Lineup by B. B., on Flickr

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
So I got one of my wrestling photos published on WWE.com

Here's the original photo!

Collision Course by bang3rachi, on Flickr

Link to where it is on the site Here

Nice to see they murdered it with whatever compression they use but hey

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

D'awww this is great :3:

Bang3r posted:

drat dude that's awesome, congrats :toot:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Bang3r posted:

If overcompression is all that happens, you're ahead of the game. Nice job.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Congrats dude!

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal
After many years of talking about it, I finally got a trip to see the Isle of Man TT put together. Burst mode lead to me taking 207gb worth of photos, and after going through all of that and editing up the keepers here's what I've got:
June 4 edits (110 of 111) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
May 31 to June 3 (29 of 68) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
June 4 edits (113 of 111) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
June 6 edits (57 of 92) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
June 6 edits (40 of 92) by Viper_X83, on Flickr
June 6 edits (101 of 92) by Viper_X83, on Flickr

It was an amazing trip, and if you're into motorcycles at all (to say nothing of gorgeous scenery) I highly recommend it.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016
Dude those are awesome! My dad and I have rode all over north america (on separate bikes) and have been talking about an over seas trip with bike rental. Isle of Mann is on the list for a starting point.

Sick pics man!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Choicecut posted:

Dude those are awesome! My dad and I have rode all over north america (on separate bikes) and have been talking about an over seas trip with bike rental. Isle of Mann is on the list for a starting point.

Sick pics man!

The TT is incredible. 200mph racing on tiny public roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Helen Highwater posted:

The TT is incredible. 200mph racing on tiny public roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRWp9rhfS_0

If you haven't watched the documentary TT3D:Closer to the Edge, I highly recommend it. I've watched it at least 15 times. It's really, really freaking good.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
Had a really good night back at the wrasslin, only edited a few photos but I quite like this one.

State of Origin by bang3rachi, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yo Johnclark those are fantastic

Bang3r posted:

Had a really good night back at the wrasslin, only edited a few photos but I quite like this one.

this is also rad as hell

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Falconry is sports.

Landing by Iain Compton, on Flickr

I Must Go, My Planet Needs Me by Iain Compton, on Flickr

On Target by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Brakes! by Iain Compton, on Flickr

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Falconry is indeed awesome as hell, but why so closed down on the last 2? The backgrounds are a bit distracting

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's a result of shooting pointing down instead of crouching and angling up, the shots were taken at f6.3 so it wasn't a super giant dof.

The main thing I'm seeing is all the shots look really soft. Did you have one shot focus on?

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

I think it's a result of shooting pointing down instead of crouching and angling up, the shots were taken at f6.3 so it wasn't a super giant dof.

The main thing I'm seeing is all the shots look really soft. Did you have one shot focus on?

I was using Servo AI. IIRC I was in shutter priority for 1/800 but the lens I had with me has relatively slow AF. It was a Tamron 18-200 with variable aperture because I dropped my nice Sigma f/2.8 zoom last weekend.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Helen Highwater posted:

I dropped my nice Sigma f/2.8 zoom last weekend.

:ohdear:

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

When I say 'dropped', what I mean is that my CarrySpeed sling strap waited until I was scrambling over rocks to let me know that the ball-joint could slip out of the retaining nut even when it was fully tightened. But 'dropped' results in the same thing.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe
It's me I'm back with the monthly wrestling show.

Full set here

(featuring damian slater who recently was in the WWE cruiser weight classic)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Unprotected chair shots nooooo :(

I really dig this

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

DJExile posted:

Unprotected chair shots nooooo :(

It was actually on some sort of hinge thing, still not completely safe but less dangerous.

The actual kick shot I hosed up and cut off the dudes head, but that one will do :smith:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ah, yeah gimmicked chairs are at least better then :shobon:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Honestly who cares if these people get a bit hurt from a chair, just look at them. Why make a fake thing even faker with fake chairs, might as well go to an acrobatic show.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

Honestly who cares if these people get a bit hurt from a chair, just look at them. Why make a fake thing even faker with fake chairs, might as well go to an acrobatic show.

Nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

VelociBacon posted:

The Chris Benoit motto!

Unprotected chair shots are chastised for a reason, wrestlers pick up nasty as hell injuries all the time but smashing someone over the head repeatedly with actual chairs for years is a pretty good way of muddling their brain into mush.