Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vegetable posted:

That's why they died out, nobody could loving understand what they were saying

Giants are like Pandas. I hope D&D show off a giant penis before they kill Wun Wun off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Is the shoestring CGI budget a real thing or just a meme?

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Next episode we find out Ghost died of cancer off screen.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you're expecting this show to go any other way than it has 100% shown then you haven't been watching the last 3 seasons. I think the most foreshadowing they have done in the last three was when they played sad "saying goodbye" music when Tyrion and Varys said goodbye showing that they will not see each other ever again. Guess which one is going to die.

For some reason you reminded me of this :nws: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f99n4pFJZE

"Ser Jablonski! Go long!"

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
That reminds me, did anybody else think the guy who reported that the Blackfish was dead seem, well, fishy? (sorry) As if he wasn't actually dead and that was just a ploy. A few seasons ago I would assume as such but now it may be the case. Real shame if we didn't get to see the Blackfish go out fighting.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Ramsay will get his trial and he will be sentenced to death by giant mushroom stamp

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

CGI costs a lot of money, takes a lot of time. 6 months to make a dragon for one scene. You won't find any show on TV that uses CGI as extensively as GOT, even in its supposedly scaled-back state.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

lifts cats over head posted:

That reminds me, did anybody else think the guy who reported that the Blackfish was dead seem, well, fishy? (sorry) As if he wasn't actually dead and that was just a ploy. A few seasons ago I would assume as such but now it may be the case. Real shame if we didn't get to see the Blackfish go out fighting.

how are you still suspending disbelief after last week? There is nothing subtle going on. What you see on screen and what the characters say is the literal absolute truth. We're on the express train now there's no time for the complicated layers of lies and misdirection that made this show popular to begin with.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
The only way the Blackfish would still be alive is if HBO had shown the soldier crossing his fingers behind his back and then winking at the camera and then Jaime eyeing him up like Larry David.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Maybe have Bronn explain who and where the Blackfish is, and what he's doing **grabs Pod's DICK**

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
So we're definitely gonna get Cersei burning the Sept to the ground and killing probably Loras and maybe Margaery eh?

Tommen killing himself is gonna be extremely lol

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
Man, people seem to be convinced that the problem with Arya's terrible denouement is that it's somehow 'medically impossible'. They're wrong, and they're wrong because they're using the show as a barometer of 'how dangerous gut wounds are'. This is a show that uses stabs as a plot device to remove characters the directors are bored with for shock value.

My dad was a paramedic for like three decades. His common complaint about any and all action sequences in media is that certain kinds of violence are always depicted as being far too lethal. In real life, it can take a really long time to die from a torso injury, or even a few torso injuries. If no internal organs were significantly damaged, then you're basically caught in the limbo between 'bleeding to death' and 'will eventually stop bleeding and stabilize'. It can take days to bleed to death, even without medical attention. The problem isn't that Arya's wounds would have been definitely, instantly fatal, or that she wouldn't have been able to perform the action scenes in the next few days with some rest, treatment, and adrenaline, the problem is that the show has depicted the human body as a balloon that, once punctured, deflates in a gory heap. Areo Hotah should have gotten up and starting axing fools while leaking, Roose Bolton would have gnawed off Ramsey's face long before running out of blood.

The real death sentence for Arya is that she fell into a sewer in a pre-antibiotic society with open torso wounds. In a show that didn't actively despise its viewers, she would be rotting from the inside out with the inevitability of radiation poisoning after a scene like that.

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 15, 2016

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
radiation poisoning?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Noctone posted:

radiation poisoning?

Sewers are radioactive. See eg tmnt

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Noctone posted:

radiation poisoning?

Braavos is paid off by the other Free Cities for dumping their nuclear waste. The real danger though is running into Mousers, the Rat King, and Leatherhead.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

So we're definitely gonna get Cersei burning the Sept to the ground and killing probably Loras and maybe Margaery eh?

Tommen killing himself is gonna be extremely lol

That would be a pretty good parallel with Dany burning the Khals too. Have Cersei lock the faith militant in the sept when they all gather there for her trial, dump wildfire on the whole place with them trapped inside, smirk smugly until Tommen bursts out looking like Maurice from Robocop.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

MrSlam posted:

Braavos is paid off by the other Free Cities for dumping their nuclear waste. The real danger though is running into Mousers, the Rat King, and Leatherhead.

And Arya is Daredevil.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's not just the budget, but also the time it takes to make stuff. Almost everything that is not a person on the show is CGI. The castles, cities, locations, armies, battles, fleets, statues, direwolves, dragons are all made on computers.

Season 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4GkA6rIPDc

Battle of Blackwater: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IKfzFlN4Os (D&D had to basically beg HBO for an extra $2 million to film this)

Season 4 dragons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJwFjyS7q8

Season 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFuQZSHO6Q

Hardhome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aiiCCDZqSY

Average cost per episode this season is $10 million, up from $6 million in season 2, and Ep 9 is supposed to be the biggest battle of the series to date, so costs are rising with popularity.

e: That said, HBO is probably happy to pay more since GoT is the most popular show on TV right now.

Narmi fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 15, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

splifyphus posted:

Man, people seem to be convinced that the problem with Arya's terrible denouement is that it's somehow 'medically impossible'. They're wrong, and they're wrong because they're using the show as a barometer of 'how dangerous gut wounds are'. This is a show that uses stabs as a plot device to remove characters the directors are bored with for shock value.

My dad was a paramedic for like three decades. His common complaint about any and all action sequences in media is that certain kinds of violence are always depicted as being far too lethal. In real life, it can take a really long time to die from a torso injury, or even a few torso injuries. If no internal organs were significantly damaged, then you're basically caught in the limbo between 'bleeding to death' and 'will eventually stop bleeding and stabilize'. It can take days to bleed to death, even without medical attention. The problem isn't that Arya's wounds would have been definitely, instantly fatal, or that she wouldn't have been able to perform the action scenes in the next few days with some rest, treatment, and adrenaline, the problem is that the show has depicted the human body as a balloon that, once punctured, deflates in a gory heap. Areo Hotah should have gotten up and starting axing fools while leaking, Roose Bolton would have gnawed off Ramsey's face long before running out of blood.

The real death sentence for Arya is that she fell into a sewer in a pre-antibiotic society with open torso wounds. In a show that didn't actively despise its viewers, she would be rotting from the inside out with the inevitability of radiation poisoning after a scene like that.

I imagine Ramsay's dagger entered below the sternum, through the diaphragm, and into the heart.

Better than the tissue paper skin people seem to have in The Walking Dead.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

splifyphus posted:

Would it be remotely possible for her to run around like that a couple of days later?

And actually the real dumb part is that the Waif, a trained assassin and highly competent fighter, sneaks up on a completely unaware Arya and opts to stab her in the lower abdomen like a doofus. It was all downhill from that point.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Would it be remotely possible for her to run around like that a couple of days later?

And actually the real dumb part is that the Waif, a trained assassin and highly competent fighter, sneaks up on a completely unaware Arya and opts to stab her in the lower abdomen like a doofus. It was all downhill from that point.

If she had just stabbed her in the back instead Arya would have collapsed instantly and died.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ginette Reno posted:

If she had just stabbed her in the back instead Arya would have collapsed instantly and died.

Well Waif watched the Roose episode not the Hotah episode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Well, that was because she hated Arya and wanted her in pain -- Jaqen specifically told her not to let Arya suffer. I imagine that was some piece of the reason Jaqen let the Waif's death replace Arya's.

But the annoying thing is that it would have been so easy to do that scene without complaining from the audience. Just have her struggle a little and have the Waif get her with a few good slashes before she kicks off into the water. I can certainly accept a TV protagonist bouncing back from that after a day or two of bed rest, and you get the exact same "Arya hosed up and almost dies" beat that they were going for (for whatever idiot reason). I just don't understand why they needed to explicitly show her getting stabbed in the guts. Sure, maybe adrenaline could get her through the next action scene, but afterwards she's dying because she literally has poo poo leaking into her body cavity, and no peasant actress is going to be stitching that up.

I can't imagine it didn't occur to them. I'm picturing the same guy who does all the gory wound makeup coming in that day and thinking "Aw man, they're killing off Arya?"

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I agree that the problem was that it required Arya letting her guard down and being dumb. If they had filmed it like "It Follows", it would've been far more compelling. Imagine her walking through the marketplace, suspicious of each and every person, as the waif slowly gets closer and closer to her, wearing a new face in each shot.

Arya knew they were coming for her, she should have been paranoid and on alert from the moment she broke the glass.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The scene in ep7 where she gets stabbed is framed really weird too such that I thought the very first thing that the waif did was slash across her throat.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

kater posted:

The scene in ep7 where she gets stabbed is framed really weird too such that I thought the very first thing that the waif did was slash across her throat.

I thought the same.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I had completely forgotten about Daenerys' vision of The Red Keep burned and snow falling in it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

quote:

and they wrote back saying 'Actually Steve, that was exactly what we had in mind for you,'" he said.

Really, between this line and the "That does make sense" line, D&D are coming off as :smuggo: who really think themselves as good writers.

Now I am actually rooting for this trainwreck to crash.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Peanut President posted:

I had completely forgotten about Daenerys' vision of The Red Keep burned and snow falling in it.

That's because it was kinda lame and unmemorable, and a big letdown from the House of the Undying acid trip goodness it should have been.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I've forgotten every Daenerys scene

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

C-SPAN Caller posted:

So is Cleganebowl impossible now or can I still get hyped?

From the way things are going, it seems BwB is going to go North for the fight against the White Walkers, well away from KL, so chances of Cleganebowl are very slim...

Which I'm actually completely ok with. Now that I'm not taking the show seriously anylonger this is the kind of dumb poo poo I want to see:

"The Wall has fallen. The White Walkers march South, devastating all armies that come across their path.

Daenerys arrives with her dragons, but they are no match and are defeated. Emilia Clarke dies.

As the battle rages on, more and more people die only to come back as enemies. All hope is dwindling...

Until a hero arises amidst the chaos of the battlefield. Kissed by flame when he was but a young boy. He knows his mission now, and overcoming all his fears, takes a sword from the dieing hands of his old comrade, Berric Dondarrion. A sword enveloped by flames. Lightbringer.

And with it, the Prince That Was Promised slays his way through the Wight army, leading mankind's last stand against the long night"

It makes sense.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What's your guys opinion on Dany's prophecy? Do you guys think book Dany will actually see all her prophecies come true?

A lot of stuff don't make any sense to me. I just think those prophecies were written before GRRM make major changes to ADWD and remove the time skip.

edit: also google "Dany's prophecies" brought up an angelfire link, that's how old this series is.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

nooneofconsequence posted:

I've forgotten every Daenerys scene

So have the writers which is why her big speech scenes repeat every few episodes

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

mastershakeman posted:

So have the writers which is why her big speech scenes repeat every few episodes

She arrived to Mereen to fast. We could definitely have used one or two more scenes of her adressing her Dothraki army like:

"DW GUYS, WE ARE TOTALLY GOING THE RIGHT WAY! FAIYAH UND BLEHD OR STH"

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.
Smoke Screen did a great video summarizing the issues with this past episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL9LqlL46WA

Actually, all of his episode recaps are good. He does weekly Q&A videos, too. The Q&A videos are getting better, but he needs to work on question choices.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The Hound is gonna have a fun time fighting in the north when everyone starts lighting their swords on fire.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

That's because it was kinda lame and unmemorable, and a big letdown from the House of the Undying acid trip goodness it should have been.

"These are questions for wise men with skinny arms" is one of the best lines in the show.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

whatever7 posted:

What's your guys opinion on Dany's prophecy? Do you guys think book Dany will actually see all her prophecies come true?

A lot of stuff don't make any sense to me. I just think those prophecies were written before GRRM make major changes to ADWD and remove the time skip.

edit: also google "Dany's prophecies" brought up an angelfire link, that's how old this series is.

Nearly all of the House of Undying stuff has come true already, and the last bit is featured in the latest preview chapter. Most of the Quaithe stuff is wrapped up and Dance with Dragons pretty much closes the book on Mirri's prophecy.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

monster on a stick posted:

I can't wait for Manderly to serve Frey Pie, because the Manderlys were mentioned early in the year.

:negative:

I'm hoping Wun Wun straight up rips off Ramsay's skin, a la Pyramid Head in the SIlent Hill movie.

EDIT vvvvvvvv: :negative: :negative:

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Lavender posted:

:negative:

I'm hoping Wun Wun straight up rips off Ramsay's skin, a la Pyramid Head in the SIlent Hill movie.

Wun Wun dies and ramsay lives. Spoilers are true sorry champ maybe next year.

• Locked thread