Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
they could have recreated the graveyard sex scene from true blood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I would have preferred to see the scene more Buffy-style grave crawling. They even have a bunch of the same production staff if I recall correctly. HUGE missed opportunity.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

I guess a filthy grave-dirt make out session didn't fit Disney's idea of a romantic reunion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Did anyone else laugh when Killian got resurrected from scratch and still had his hook? Benevolent Christian-like god my rear end!

:lol: I didn't even think of that. They should have made him come back with two hooks, and then cut to a scene of Frat Jesus Zeus laughing.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Oh hey, magic works in the real world, which means our teleporting magic should be up and running!

....let's drive this jalopy to NYC instead!

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
"My parents, Zelena and Hook were pulled through a portal...."

"AGAIN!?!"

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hahahahahahahhahahahaha A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is canon to OUAT

cailleask
May 6, 2007

That was exactly the amount of crazy that I know and love.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Argue posted:

Hahahahahahahhahahahaha A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court is canon to OUAT

That reveal blew my mind. It's just such a weird, deep cut for this show.

Good finale though, and I'm interested in Mr. Hyde as a villain. Though splitting him off from Jekyll seems like an odd choice, especially since it removes the potentially-compelling conflict of "we can't kill Hyde without hurting Jekyll, a good and innocent man who has helped us" and replaces it with "we can't kill Hyde because he's very strong and our magic doesn't work on him for some reason."

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Oh I'm sure there's going to be some ridiculousness around how you can't actually kill one without harming the other, even in separate bodies. Especially with the Evil Queen apparently still alive and murdering.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Argue posted:

I don't understand the reference so I felt like they were gonna do something like make that girl Henry's half-sister or something with that knight being Baelfire/Neal.

On the same note though I think for the most part I liked Henry in the two parter, getting fed up with poo poo and cheating with author powers. Not sure why he didn't just write everyone's doors locked shut or something deus ex machina-y except cause they actually had to set up the next season. Henry being a minor villain would've been an interesting idea; basically an author too deep into his family's poo poo that he's fed up and thinks he knows better (the teenager angle just makes it even better IMO) so he sets them straight with his brand of magic.

I kinda hope that if they basically vomited a bunch of people from the "land of untold stories" world into Storybrooke we might get some more interesting stuff for the next season (half-season). Or maybe stop going to the same flashback well everytime. I would love it if it was a different person compelled to be a villain on Hyde's behalf next season followed with a flashback showing another side of that character, while in the present our heroes try to stop whatever plans Hyde is using these people for. I mean that could fill a full season if you paced it properly, even. Mostly cause I'm sure we'll get at least 1 episode of Jekyll/Hyde flashbacks on his origin, one for Regina, probably a couple more for some other of the main characters too and that doesn't leave much left if what's going to happen is they're gonna boot everyone out of Storybrooke by episode 12. I mean we're going to be on season 6 and the show feels like it could do almost 10 easily so I hope they use the format a little more interestingly than Snow needs to vaccuum but that brings out repressed memories from when she was 19 or something.

I mean yeah you can still go back to the Snow/Evil Queen/Hook/Charming/Rumple/etc. need a pick-me-up episode and they are usually some of the better stuff I like in the show but man I can't believe they haven't run out of ideas for those guys at all at this point.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Regina will need to learn to accept herself for who she is, Evil Queen and all. And they'll hug and reabsorb each other back into one body. Next season finale called.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Dazerbeams posted:

Regina will need to learn to accept herself for who she is, Evil Queen and all. And they'll hug and reabsorb each other back into one body. Next season finale called.

And then Zeus will show up and say, "Hey, you're good, let me help," immediately separate them again and destroy the Evil Queen for good.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Well Zeus IS supposed to be a big ol' fucker.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My absolute favorite part of this episode is when Mr. Hyde says "And I brought some friends!" and gestures with grandiloquence, and all the characters look around like "Where?" and Hyde just kinds of winks like "We haven't hired those actors yet." It was such a moment of deflated drama. I do really like who they have playing Hyde (even if they did make him go Incredible Hulk when he transformed - it's a nitpicky thing, but just once I would like for Hyde to be smaller than Jekyll).

All in all it was a really fun episode, but I really wish that Regina had found out about the serum and chosen to take it out of desperation, rather than everyone in the "weirdly related to Henry somehow" gang agreeing on the terrible idea to use the mad scientist potion as a cure-all for guilt. I'm sure they'll discover that you can't kill one without killing the other, and Regina will have to stuff the evil back inside of her and learn to cope.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yeah wasn't there a point where Regina basically made peace with her evil past and basically said that if none of that happened she would never have adopted Henry basically?

I mean it's not that great of a justification but like that's better than nothing and having your metaphorical evil self become a literal evil self but I guess that's what they want to do with the Jekyll/Hyde story so okay.

At least everyone on the show is self aware now that they basically landed into someone else's fairy tale.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

All in all it was a really fun episode, but I really wish that Regina had found out about the serum and chosen to take it out of desperation, rather than everyone in the "weirdly related to Henry somehow" gang agreeing on the terrible idea to use the mad scientist potion as a cure-all for guilt. I'm sure they'll discover that you can't kill one without killing the other, and Regina will have to stuff the evil back inside of her and learn to cope.

The actual splitting in two seemed unnecessary to me. I can accept it but, I think it would have been interesting if Regina had taken the potion and it caused her to randomly shift into Evil Queen under extreme stress and have her deal with it instead of just trying to kill her evil self.

I realize they have, at this point, run out of Disney fairy tales to play off but, are they seriously going to delve into 19th century goth now? Are we on track for an unironic visit from Count Dracula, the Frankenstein monster, maybe an appearance by Mary Shelley, vampire killer?

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
they already did Frankenstein, it was dr. whales brother

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Well, I saw Gulliver's Travels, Paul Bunyan, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, and Don Quixote in the alternate books. In the other land, I think I saw the Three Musketeers, someone that kind of looks like Esmerelda, and some costumes that look Arabian Nights.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Victorian/ Edwardian science fiction is embedded enough in our culture as the last bastion of public domain that it's basically folktale material, anyway. I don't necessarily know that it's where they're going because the Land of Untold Stories looks like it had a lot of different kinds of people, (and you can see stuff like Don Quixote in the storybooks when Henry is leafing through) but if it's the basically the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen half-season, I can deal. Captain Nemo and the Count of Monte Cristo can turn out to be Regina's scorned brother and Hook's Uncle.

I hope they can get Whale back from his zombie druglord gig for an episode or two.

KasioDiscoRock
Nov 17, 2000

Are you alive?
I really hope they don't go too much to the Victorian goth stuff if only because Penny Dreadful is already doing that, and doing it much better than OUAT could (though PD definitely has its own issues at times). They already have Jekyll/Hyde as of a couple episodes ago.

Though the Battlestar Galactica fan in me is glad to see Crashdown in something else again :D

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom
Victorian setting may open the door to Hunchback of Notre Dame setting (and Gargoyles?!)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fooma posted:

Victorian setting may open the door to Hunchback of Notre Dame setting (and Gargoyles?!)

Javert relentless pursues Hook, Regina, and Zelena for their past wrongdoings, despite their repentance and new lives, until, at last, he is driven to throw himself into the River of Souls.

Hire me, Adam and Eddie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Bicyclops posted:

I hope they can get Whale back from his zombie druglord gig for an episode or two.

More likely to see him then the mad hatter.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Javert relentless pursues Hook, Regina, and Zelena for their past wrongdoings, despite their repentance and new lives, until, at last, he is driven to throw himself into the River of Souls.

Hire me, Adam and Eddie.

Would the show be better or worse if our beloved characters broke out into song every few episodes? Better.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dazerbeams posted:

Would the show be better or worse if our beloved characters broke out into song every few episodes? Better.

Henry (voice cracking as he sweeps up Gold's shop): Here in my castle in the clouuuuuuuds...

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

So according to an interview with the showrunners, season 6 will go back to a single storyline rather than 2 half-arcs.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A good plan, if you ask me. Makes me wonder if they're shortening the order or not, though. Honestly I'd be way happy with tighter seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Honestly, I think the half seasons are the only things keeping me watching. I can't see myself caring about a 22 episode story arc of this show. But 12 episode arcs ae perfect for like a trashy, low brain function binging show.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

STAC Goat posted:

Honestly, I think the half seasons are the only things keeping me watching. I can't see myself caring about a 22 episode story arc of this show. But 12 episode arcs ae perfect for like a trashy, low brain function binging show.

If Jekyll bringing all the people of his world over to Storybrooke wasn't bullshit, they could use those characters to recreate a similar tempo as S1 instead of relying on the main characters having more flashback material as they have for the last few seasons.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a possibility, I guess. Its certainly an interesting element that Jekyl's world wasn't one set theme/world like the previous half seasons but rather a mix so the showrunners have a much wider variety of characters they can bring in and help rebuild their world. I actually was disappointed that we weren't just getting a Victorian Horror/Universal Monsters arc (since I nerd out for those) but I hadn't really considered that the path they took opens up a lot more possibilities.

I suppose I had just gotten comfortable with the show as a lazy weekend/one week popcorn binge with a wacky new theme each season. But I don't begrudge them trying to do more to give it a second life.

It basically comes down to I have 2 types of shows. The shows I watch week to week and the shows I collect and binge. The ones in the latter tend to be short run seasons and binging them tends to mean I tolerate their flaws more. Shows that run 22 episode arcs tend to be ones I have to watch week to week (or every few weeks in a mini-binge) to keep up with them, but that means if they don't have me hooked I tend to give them up. So I worry that will happen with OUAT since I kind of lost faith in their whole writing and plotting chops.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm a bigger fan of half-seasons for Once, but I think the way the write might have benefited say, the Arthur storyline, if they'd had a bit more time to deal with it. It felt like at the finale, they finally realized "Oh yeah, we never did resolve half of the Arthur stuff," and then just killed him in the hopes that it would wrap everything up well enough.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching through the series for the first time and I'm up as far as "Dark Hollow". I'm having a lot of fun with it. The episode in question I thought was particularly enjoyable.

However, I must know - was Peter Pan behind the entire mysterious Home Office the whole time, or was it just Greg and Tamara working for him and the Home Office is a separate organisation that has nothing to do with Pan's schemes?

In light of the Storybrooke plot in "Dark Hollow", I feel like it could have been interesting if this season had had a Storybrooke subplot as well (although obviously it has been quite busy as it is). I guess they (the Home Office) could possibly come back once Emma and friends get home from Neverland.

Anyway, once I have finished the third season, I imagine I shall watch the Wonderland spin-off (which only seems to be on iTunes and Amazon, which is odd - I would have liked to have had it on DVD). I've got the season four DVD set but since there's no Region 2 release of season five as yet, I shall need something to tide me over.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 8, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm watching through the series for the first time and I'm up as far as "Dark Hollow". I'm having a lot of fun with it. The episode in question I thought was particularly enjoyable.

However, I must know - was Peter Pan behind the entire mysterious Home Office the whole time, or was it just Greg and Tamara working for him and the Home Office is a separate organisation that has nothing to do with Pan's schemes?

The correct answer is the former, but the real answer is that the series is very poorly planned out, and I believe this is where the show starts to get hilarious in just how contrived it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

The correct answer is the former, but the real answer is that the series is very poorly planned out, and I believe this is where the show starts to get hilarious in just how contrived it is.

It is a great deal like Lost.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Lost and OUAT even share the same cast.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I know Emilie De Ravin was in Lost but I'm not sure who else. Jorge Garcia was a guest star in a couple of episodes in the last season (two).

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Top of my head, there is the wicked witch, evil queen and the guy from neighbours who played Charles Widmore.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
the writers and show runners for ouat also wrote for lost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
which explains a whole lot, really