Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Ahahahaha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Trip report: Peregrine Drake Flicker Combo is ludicrous in Pauper and will 100% lead to a ban in two months. Do not attempt to play a non-Flicker deck - you need a lot of disruption (a couple Duresses won't cut it), a substantial clock to kill them before they can rebuild, you need to be able to get around a big Gigadrowse, and even if you stop their combo they just get a bunch of 2/3s and 2/2s and a full hand of cards! The deck is nuts, and is almost certainly the most powerful and consistent deck I've ever played in Pauper, including Post/Storm/Infect.

This is fantastic, and here's an imgur in case this gets taken down.

i like how the male part is getting clowned on in a nice reversal of the original.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'm loving dying

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaains

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

What am I missing?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Pussy Snorkel posted:

What am I missing?

Zombies enjoy brains, and Angry Grimace has a buncha zombies in play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Hellsau posted:

Trip report: Peregrine Drake Flicker Combo is ludicrous in Pauper and will 100% lead to a ban in two months. Do not attempt to play a non-Flicker deck - you need a lot of disruption (a couple Duresses won't cut it), a substantial clock to kill them before they can rebuild, you need to be able to get around a big Gigadrowse, and even if you stop their combo they just get a bunch of 2/3s and 2/2s and a full hand of cards! The deck is nuts, and is almost certainly the most powerful and consistent deck I've ever played in Pauper, including Post/Storm/Infect.

This is fantastic, and here's an imgur in case this gets taken down.

i like how the male part is getting clowned on in a nice reversal of the original.

Oh damnit, I was just about to build a Pauper deck also, because a store near me is starting Pauper tournaments. What's the list?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Got a list?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Pussy Snorkel posted:

What am I missing?

There wasn't anything specific. I just cast Rise from the Tides 3 times and had 26 zombies out. Which seemed like a lot.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Zombies enjoy brains, and Angry Grimace has a buncha zombies in play.

Sorry, I mean the Wizards Tumblr thing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Got a list?

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh damnit, I was just about to build a Pauper deck also, because a store near me is starting Pauper tournaments. What's the list?

Just used this to run through a league, went 4-1 only dropping to U/B Flicker combo by not finding a Ghostly Flicker until I had 20 cards left in my library.

code:
4 Ghostly Flicker
4 Mulldrifter
4 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Sage's Row Denizen
21 Island
4 Gigadrowse
4 Archaeomancer
4 Preordain
4 Ponder
4 Peregrine Drake
2 Brainstorm
3 Thought Scour
1 Capsize

2 Hydroblast
3 Dispel
1 Hoodwink
2 Curfew
1 Echoing Truth
3 Counterspell
3 Serrated Arrows
If you're playing in paper, just ban Peregrine Drake and Ghostly Flicker because neither card should be in Pauper anymore. At least one of them will be banned in the next B&R announcement, Drake is just a better Cloud of Faeries which just got banned, and Flicker is a key card every time something gets banned. If your group doesn't want to ban stuff, you don't need Sage's Row Denizen, a singleton Capsize will beat basically everything and you can run another cantrip instead. Capsize is super slow online, I'll probably switch over to a black splash and just run a Denizen and an instant or sorcery to get it out of the graveyard. Then again, Capsize is an answer to Suture Priests and Flagbearers so i dunno.

Brainstorms and Thought Scours work great. I'm going to try cutting some Mulldrifters and go up to 16 cantrips. The combo is powerful enough that what I'm doing is just better than whatever anyone else is doing so I might as well be more consistent.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Pussy Snorkel posted:

im at a loss for words personally

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Google loss.jpg for more info, friend.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Zoness posted:

im at a loss for words personally

I can't really control myself, and I wish there was an alternate, but I really wish I could delete this from my memory.

EDIT: ^^^ Really?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pussy Snorkel posted:

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

SoftNum posted:

I can't really control myself, and I wish there was an alternate, but I really wish I could delete this from my memory.

EDIT: ^^^ Really?

I will explain the jokes, I don't give a drat.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

just rust posted:

I will explain the jokes, I don't give a drat.

I figured I was explaining the joke when I hotlinked the explanation but that went straight past 'em.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Ohhhhhhhh

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Hellsau posted:

I figured I was explaining the joke when I hotlinked the explanation but that went straight past 'em.

In the words of Louis scotch Vargas, never loot when you already have the card you need and never click ambiguous hyperlinks.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pussy Snorkel posted:

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Just used this to run through a league, went 4-1 only dropping to U/B Flicker combo by not finding a Ghostly Flicker until I had 20 cards left in my library.

code:
4 Ghostly Flicker
4 Mulldrifter
4 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Sage's Row Denizen
21 Island
4 Gigadrowse
4 Archaeomancer
4 Preordain
4 Ponder
4 Peregrine Drake
2 Brainstorm
3 Thought Scour
1 Capsize

2 Hydroblast
3 Dispel
1 Hoodwink
2 Curfew
1 Echoing Truth
3 Counterspell
3 Serrated Arrows
If you're playing in paper, just ban Peregrine Drake and Ghostly Flicker because neither card should be in Pauper anymore. At least one of them will be banned in the next B&R announcement, Drake is just a better Cloud of Faeries which just got banned, and Flicker is a key card every time something gets banned. If your group doesn't want to ban stuff, you don't need Sage's Row Denizen, a singleton Capsize will beat basically everything and you can run another cantrip instead. Capsize is super slow online, I'll probably switch over to a black splash and just run a Denizen and an instant or sorcery to get it out of the graveyard. Then again, Capsize is an answer to Suture Priests and Flagbearers so i dunno.

Brainstorms and Thought Scours work great. I'm going to try cutting some Mulldrifters and go up to 16 cantrips. The combo is powerful enough that what I'm doing is just better than whatever anyone else is doing so I might as well be more consistent.

Wow, I was like 100% convinced that it was ghostly flicker that was banned back when this deck dominated.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

Sorry I'm a little out of date on my meme education

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Ghostly flicker is awesome with mnemonic wall in izzet tron, just ban drake.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Well this is the best deck I've ever drafted

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

more of this please wizards

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Entropic posted:

I thought they all were on at least a few cards at common. Like there's a bunch of echo cards, a bunch of Vanishing cards, a bunch of Cascade cards, a bunch of Retrace cards, a bunch of Threshold cards...

I know that was the case for the first two Modern Masters sets.

They really really have an aversion now to going all Future Sight and cramming a whole bunch of random one-off keywords into a single set.

I'm pretty sure Plague Witch is the only spellshaper in there. Carbonise (and also Nekrataal) hoses regenerate when nothing in the set actually uses it. I think white has just two vanishing cards jammed in there? And also imprint is kind of in there as well.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Allstone posted:

I'm pretty sure Plague Witch is the only spellshaper in there. Carbonise (and also Nekrataal) hoses regenerate when nothing in the set actually uses it. I think white has just two vanishing cards jammed in there? And also imprint is kind of in there as well.

Twisted Abomination is a very good card that is only good when you can regenerate it. Carbonize is great because Twisted Abomination happens to be fantastic in the draft format.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pussy Snorkel posted:

Sorry I'm a little out of date on my meme education

It's a pretty old meme at this point, sadly. who knows what memes kids these days have

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

anglachel posted:

Huh. I thought modern dredge was a combo deck where you just tried to put a massive amount of power down turn 2 or 3? What makes it good at attrition if the combo gets disrupted?

anglachel posted:

Yeah the insolent neonate + amalgam version that tries to put 10+ power out turn 1 or 2 is what i think of when somebody talks to me about Modern Dredge. I wasn't aware Dredge was even really a deck people played in modern anymore before Shadows came out.

It's pretty much impossible to put out 10+ power on turn 2 consistently, nevermind turn 1.

Here's the critters you get in modern dredge (not dredgevine, which is even more trying to be attrition-y):

4x Amalgam
4x Narcomoeba
4x Bloodghast
3x Stitchwing Skaab

On turn 2 you can, with a perfect hand, go neonate->troll, draw ->troll, looting ->troll troll, land to return your bloodghasts, and even with that perfect 4 troll hand you have only seen half your deck, which means if your critters were distributed evenly you have 12 power on the board on turn 2. I suppose you could replace the looting with burning inquiry to add +5 to the dredge, but again this is requiring literally perfect hands here.

You have about 2-5 creatures turn 3 typically, but you get to swing those ghasts and amalgams every turn because they come back every turn, meanwhile you're dredging more every turn (hitting 3 untapped lands on turn 3 is important for looting). Eventually you cast your singleton rally the peasants to make it lethal.

You're rarely going to be lethal turn 3, and a Kalitas on their t4/your t3 pretty much means you're never hitting lethal.

This list is pretty much mine, except I don't have the street wraiths in it yet, and have two conflagrates main and 3 stitchwing skaab because I found having a discard outlet on T2 to set up the T3 faithless looting was really important (and conflagrate is amazing).

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/430504#online

Kalitas has been a major pain for the deck, as has chording for / drawing scavenging ooze. Infect is pretty fast and sometimes has more bullshit than I have darkblasts, but pretty much everything else has been something I have good game against. R/G primetime tends to be as fast as I am.

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
I think I understand how the Flicker deck works but what's the win condition? Do you just have a bunch of bodies left after you combo and start beating down?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Looks like mill out with sage's row denizen

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Judd Stackington posted:

I think I understand how the Flicker deck works but what's the win condition? Do you just have a bunch of bodies left after you combo and start beating down?

Turn 5, 5 Islands and a Sea Gate Oracle in play.
Cast Peregrine Drake, untap 5 Islands.
Tap all lands, UUUUU in pool, cast Ghostly Flicker targeting Oracle and Drake. Untap 5 Islands, get a card off Oracle
Tap all lands, UUUUUUU in pool. Cast Archaeomancer, get back Flicker. Cast Flicker targeting Drake and Archaeomancer. Untap 5 Islands, get back Flicker.
Tap all lands, UUUUU in pool. Repeatedly cast Flicker targeting Drake and Mancer. You gain UU each time you do this. Get infinite mana.
With that infinite mana, cast Flicker targeting Oracle and Mancer. Get a card off Oracle, get back Flicker.

Eventually you get Sage's Row Denizen from the Oracle draws, then when you have Denizen in play, you can look Flicker on Drake and Mancer to mill your opponent out. Also if you have infinite mana, you can Capsize to bounce all your opponent's permanents, play all your creatures, and just attack them. Denizen is there to quickly win on Magic Online.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I think it's time to rotate topics over to lolmodo

did you know that they somehow broke autoyield

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

I think it's time to rotate topics over to lolmodo

did you know that they somehow broke autoyield

F8 is broken too. If you have no mana in your mana pool, and all your lands are tapped, F8 is supposed to automatically pass priority. It worked this way even last night. Now, if you have ANY instants in hand, even ones you cannot cast, F8 doesn't work.

good times

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

reddit posted:

Pretty sure I've told this story in similar threads in the past, but here we go.
I was out of town visiting my sister and brother-in-law. Went to comic book shop down the road from their house for FNM. We're just waiting for the event to start and this guy walks in and my sister sighs audibly. Apparently he's the "local pro" that made day 2 at a GP like 2 years before and still brags about it. I'm thinking, whatever, just one of those guys.
Pairings go up for round 1 and lo and behold I am paired against him. This is at the tail end of INN-RTR Standard. I'm on Naya Humans and come to find out he is on some form of UW Control with Nephalia Drownyard. He's bragging about it to me (probably because I'm new at the shop and he's trying to intimidate me) and loudly proclaiming that he has some secret new tech this week. Whatever.
We shuffle up. I win the die roll and elect to go first. Game 1 I kill him on turn 4 before he can cast Supreme Verdict. The grumbling and muttering starts. I'm cool with this. It happens a lot, especially with this type of player. Game 2 I get stuck on 2 lands and he gets to Verdict and slowly grind me out with Drownyard. Now he has some energy again. Starts talking about how lucky I was the first game and that he's played against real pros. No way he loses to some nobody like me. Game 3 I have a super fast draw and kill him on turn 4 again. He gets super quiet for a second, then just absolutely loses it. He starts cursing at everyone around him, throws his deckbox across the store, realizes his mistake, goes to get up and hits his knee on the table which messes up both the libraries and game states of the other matches at our table. He snatches his deckbox up and storms out of the store. Tries to slam the door, but it's one of those hydraulic doors that won't let you do that. This further angers him and you can actually hear him in the parking lot still yelling curse words.
At this point, I'm still sitting there. The store has gone deathly silent and everyone is staring at me. This goes on for what feels like forever, but was probably only 5-10 seconds. Everyone just goes back to their games. I'm actually shaking thanks to the adrenaline because I legitimately thought he was going to swing at me at one point and I was prepared to defend myself. The owner comes over and apologizes for his behavior, assures me that if the guy comes back he won't be allowed back in the store and explains that that guy had apparently won every FNM for the past 2-3 months because he's the only person who plays non budget decks. I guess me beating him just caused him to have a complete meltdown because his streak was broken.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

i am surprised that the other players could continue playing their matches while they were standing up and clapping

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hellsau posted:

i am surprised that the other players could continue playing their matches while they were standing up and clapping

He was carried out of the store at the very least.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Funny story, I went to a friends store for the Theros pre-release so for the last FNM I played Naya humans. I had just gotten back into the game after many years away from it, and borrowed some cards from local friend. I c won the FNM. Basically everyone in his store was on either some jank brew or UW control with Drownyard. The dude I played against who was on UW wasn't that salty, but he wasn't happy he got smashed quickly. He kept talking about how I was playing last years deck etc etc.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

F8 is broken too. If you have no mana in your mana pool, and all your lands are tapped, F8 is supposed to automatically pass priority. It worked this way even last night. Now, if you have ANY instants in hand, even ones you cannot cast, F8 doesn't work.

good times

It didn't work before if you had a convoke spell even if you couldn't cast it.

AFAIK they still haven't fixed it with Workshop mana but I could be wrong about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

It didn't work before if you had a convoke spell even if you couldn't cast it.

AFAIK they still haven't fixed it with Workshop mana but I could be wrong about that.

I don't think it autopasses you with Workshop mana anymore, after some high profile silliness on VSL and LSV's stream.

• Locked thread