Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state," being a phrase that manages to be false, contradictory, meaningless, pointless and confusing all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Goons, I know that we were all worried about the future of the GOP, but you can relax:

quote:

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) attended a confidential dinner with more than 20 top conservatives on Tuesday night to plan his comeback as a movement leader in the mold of Ronald Reagan.

The dinner was at the Virginia home of conservative activist Brent Bozell, and the agenda was to plot Cruz’s future and the future of the conservative movement.
The undertone of the dinner was about how to position Cruz for a future tilt at the presidency and to spearhead the conservative movement from his seat in the Senate, those in attendance said.

Dining with Cruz and his chief of staff, Paul Teller, were some of the most powerful figures in the conservative movement.

The spectrum of economic, national security and social conservatives seated at the table included Heritage Foundation President Jim DeMint, Club for Growth President David McIntosh, direct-mail guru Richard Viguerie, National Rifle Association board member and former Cincinnati Mayor Ken Blackwell, and Susan B. Anthony List President Marjorie Dannenfelser, sources confirmed.

According to those in attendance, the leaders discussed how they could work more effectively together and how to harness their vast financial and human networks in the service of conservative principles and Cruz's career.

Combined, those at the table have access to hundreds of millions of dollars and some of the largest ground armies on the right.

There was no specific discussion of electoral politics or whether Cruz will support presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump this cycle.

Many of the leaders at the dinner want Cruz to run for president again, and they are viewing Cruz’s unsuccessful 2016 run as similar to Reagan’s failed attempt in 1976 to unseat the incumbent Republican president, Gerald Ford.

Private conversations with sources at the dinner kept turning up the same analogy: Reagan came back to win the presidency in 1980. And Cruz, they think, can do the same in 2020.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Tonsil stone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Goons, I know that we were all worried about the future of the GOP, but you can relax:

This made my skin crawl a little.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It made more sense back in the 1700s, especially in the early US where the states were scared of a centralized federal military. They wanted state militias out of the fear that the federal military might abandon their state in an attempt to defend the US as a whole.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

I'm reading this as a sign of a GOP split.

Is that wrong?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Crain posted:

I'm reading this as a sign of a GOP split.

Is that wrong?

I imagine these guys will stay quiet this cycle or do this weird half endorse thing Republicans are doing so they can try and stay clear of Trump's fallout, then Cruz will do his Cruz thing and in 2019-20 he'll get challenged in the Primary by some establishment types and some Trump types and pull away the winner. Then I think they'd rally behind him more than they do with Trump because Cruz is a controlled, slimy sociopath and not a raving lunatic who constantly creates fires. Then hopefully he loses in the GE because he's a slimy sociopath and most people seem to recognize that. Or he becomes Reagan II like he's always dreamed and sun turns red.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Fighting over the militia bit is dumb, all other constitutional rights have been subject to reasonable restrictions when there is a compelling government interest. I don't really see why we need to fight over grammar when "this specific type of gun makes it extremely easy to commit mass murder and provides minimal additional functionality when used for legitimate purposes" sounds like a perfectly fine justification for banning or NFAing semi-autos with detachable box magazines.

I'm not so keen on doing the same for handguns because they serve a legit self-defense purpose... but it's hard to make regulations that allow semi-autos without providing a million loopholes with which to slip things like AR-15s through, most likely they would have to be included as well, not revolvers though.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

STAC Goat posted:

This made my skin crawl a little.

Don't worry, if your skin escapes your frame the normal human known as Cruz has many uses for it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ha! I love how the "another way you can read this" is an incompete and completely different sentance.

Reinterprate this complete thought: "the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT (a loaded legal term) be infringed. Thats the setup, the windup before the pitch, the sentence where they justify what they are about to say, the real meat of the amendment. The. Right. Of. The. People. Shall. Not. Be. Infringed.

The gun nuts are right, and gun control never passes because you are wrong and just want to do something!!!

Setting aside your spelling, you are right, and the result is 10,000 unnecessary deaths, approximately three 9/11s, every single year.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ColdPie posted:

An assault weapon is defined as an object which fires small bits of metal at sufficient speed to kill a person, and is specifically designed to commit assault on a human being.

youve made me think of my compound bow and the slingshot i had as a kid in a whole different light

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Jarmak posted:

Fighting over the militia bit is dumb, all other constitutional rights have been subject to reasonable restrictions when there is a compelling government interest. I don't really see why we need to fight over grammar when "this specific type of gun makes it extremely easy to commit mass murder and provides minimal additional functionality when used for legitimate purposes" sounds like a perfectly fine justification for banning or NFAing semi-autos with detachable box magazines.

I'm not so keen on doing the same for handguns because they serve a legit self-defense purpose... but it's hard to make regulations that allow semi-autos without providing a million loopholes with which to slip things like AR-15s through, most likely they would have to be included as well, not revolvers though.

And yet, magically replacing every handgun in America with an AR-15 and attached Beta C-mag would prevent far more deaths than outlawing and magically removing semi-automatic rifles entirely.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 16, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ColdPie posted:

Setting aside your spelling, you are right, and the result is 10,000 unnecessary deaths, approximately three 9/11s, every single year.

Lives dont matter.

edrith
Apr 10, 2013
I don't know if this counts as banned primarychat, if it does I apologize, but Bernie's in DC and he's not participating in the filibuster

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Lives dont matter.

Thanks for contributing.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Similar to the gun restriction loopholes, Illinois had a similar issue with synthetic drugs. When synthetic marijuana popped up, Illinois quickly banned it (after some white kids died) but they wrote the law to specifically mention chemicals used. Well, all it took was changing the chemicals and your substance was suddenly legal. They changed the law to be more vague and it became harder to sell.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ColdPie posted:

Thanks for contributing.

Thats the whole reason i post in uspol and rack up my nearly fishmech-level rap sheet, because youve become so insulated and are so used to sorting out the very purest, most helpful progressive that you cant or arent willing to even respond to someone pulling in another political direction. Thats why gun control hasnt happened. So stop bitching and lets come to a point of agreement and save lives.

Hint: its background checks and better funding/training existing law enforcement. Pretty much all guns are "semi auto box magazine".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Arhgh this is why I cannot loving stand gun chat!! I despise all the disingenuous, bad faith loving arguments that crop up!
"We need them to prevent US Army stormtroopers..."
"The Second Amendment..."
"But other countries banned guns and now..."

For gently caress's sake 50 people died can we please, please stop this anti-incrementalist hardheadedness and actually try to be think up solutions? OR just loving admit that the innocent blood spilled in these shootings is the price we'll just pay in exchange for keeping the 2nd amendment sacred.
I was honestly pro-gun ownership (though with gun registration and regulation), but hearing these pro-gun chestnuts over and over almost makes me advocate for repealing the entire drat 2nd just out of spite.

Crain posted:

You're not wrong. But welcome to the world of Bureaucracies and Regulations. When you start introducing specifics, you're creating loop holes. Somewhere down the line someone at the ATF or some other agency had to sit down and list what exactly defined a "pistol", "rifle", "shotgun", and "handgun" were. Those definitions produce things like that 5.56 NATO, 20 in long pistol.

See? This is good. I like this. This is interesting and informative and highlights legit problems gun regulations face.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

If I could choose one person to be obliterated by a meteor it would be the Zodiac Killer.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

actually try to be think up solutions?

I did. Repeal the 2nd amendment and confiscate all firearms. Maybe compromise on hunting guns since those have a legitimate purpose. Don't like my idea? OK, it's your turn to propose one.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Hint: its background checks and better funding/training existing law enforcement.

I'm on board with both of these proposals. Why haven't they happened?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xrunner posted:

So that if a war breaks out that is serious enough to require doubling our armed forces, we can start right away without having to figure out who is even eligible to be drafted?

Edit: Look at all the other people who answered that faster than I did. I'm slow.

It doesn't really do that these days. That's much more something registering was useful for decades back, especially since many people wouldn't have any form of government issued identification.

These days, the government could tell the states to pull up the info from state ID databases and poo poo.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ColdPie posted:

I did. Repeal the 2nd amendment and confiscate all firearms. Maybe compromise on hunting guns since those have a legitimate purpose. Don't like my idea? OK, it's your turn to propose one.

thats not an idea, its a mealymouthed diaper full reaction

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

thats not an idea, its a mealymouthed diaper full reaction

OK, it's your turn to propose an idea.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

ColdPie posted:

I'm on board with both of these proposals. Why haven't they happened?

Because you and people like you are openly saying "that's a good first step but we're going to immediately take all of the guns after that"

I dont trust that you respect my position at all (but on a national level)

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ColdPie posted:

OK, it's your turn to propose an idea.

SSNeoman posted:

OR just loving admit that the innocent blood spilled in these shootings is the price we'll just pay in exchange for keeping the 2nd amendment sacred.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
It's absolutely true that the Second Amendment is phrased unequivocally. So is the First Amendment, which says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" except that we totally do this, because we can charge Christian Scientists with child abuse; "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press" except we have libel and slander laws; "Congress shall make no law the right of the people peaceably to assemble" except lol 'Free Speech Zones.' Clearly we are perfectly capable of interpreting unequivocal statements in the Bill of Rights in a more ambiguous manner than is really justified by the actual text.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Actually repealing the 2nd amendment is starting to seem like the most likely long-term solution to the crisis. The wording of it is pretty unambiguous about any meaningful restrictions on firearm ownership, so before that can be addressed having a gun needs to be a privilege not a right.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Because you and people like you are openly saying "that's a good first step but we're going to immediately take all of the guns after that"

"I want X."

"Okay, let's do X."

"No, I don't want X anymore."

"Uh."

* 50 more people get slaughtered

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

SSNeoman posted:

OR just loving admit that the innocent blood spilled in these shootings is the price we'll just pay in exchange for keeping the 2nd amendment sacred

I did, 13 minutes (and on the same page) before you posted.

ColdPie posted:

"I want X."

"Okay, let's do X."

"No, I don't want X anymore."

"Uh."

* 50 more people get slaughtered

We're not talking about X, we're talking about gun control (which i and almost every gun owner is in favor of) and saving lives. If you want to expand background checks i'm onboard, if you want to make someone dance through legal hoops to get a 30 round magazine i'm annoyed but alright with it. If you ban semi automatic guns i'm getting in a gunfight with the police and dying. I feel like i'm being more reasonable than you.

(Thats not even getting into the loaded "Gun nuts" "Stormtroopers" "Ya'll Queda" insults. Thats political echo chamber, "Rah Rah My team" poo poo, not someone interested in actually coming to a consensus and saving lives.)

Killer robot posted:

If you're saying that we should allow gun restrictions but apply strict scrutiny to them like we do to laws restricting first amendment rights, a whole lot of existing gun law is going to go away. Are you sure you want to do that?

DING DING DING DING DING

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 16, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The second amendment says people can keep and bear arms, but it doesn't say anything about buying them!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

showbiz_liz posted:

It's absolutely true that the Second Amendment is phrased unequivocally. So is the First Amendment, which says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" except that we totally do this, because we can charge Christian Scientists with child abuse; "Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech or of the press" except we have libel and slander laws; "Congress shall make no law the right of the people peaceably to assemble" except lol 'Free Speech Zones.' Clearly we are perfectly capable of interpreting unequivocal statements in the Bill of Rights in a more ambiguous manner than is really justified by the actual text.

If you're saying that we should allow gun restrictions but apply strict scrutiny to them like we do to laws restricting first amendment rights, a whole lot of existing gun law is going to go away. Are you sure you want to do that?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I was raised in a house with guns and am a lot more sympathetic than the average liberal to the historical arguments for the Second Amendment. It was a nice idea: give the people a way to resist potential oppressors and outside threats. But the world is a completely different place than it was when the Bill of Rights was written. The military has flying murder robots and civilization-destroying bombs now, and instead of banding together with our neighbors and fighting off some terrible enemy we're taking shots at each other in Walmarts. It's time to pack it in.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The second amendment says people can keep and bear arms, but it doesn't say anything about buying them!

Proposal: if you want a gun you have to make it yourself from scratch, like a lightsaber.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

He removed the non-sequitur that some idiot founding father accidentally scribbled down halfway through the amendment without thinking.

That's weird, the bit he removed is at the start

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Literally The Worst posted:

That's weird, the bit he removed is at the start

I did explain "The first sentence everyone focuses on because "militia" is a funny word we dont use anymore is not the important part because its just justification for the following sentence, the second bit is really what we are meant to focus on where it spells out the law in plain language".

showbiz_liz posted:

I was raised in a house with guns and am a lot more sympathetic than the average liberal to the historical arguments for the Second Amendment. It was a nice idea: give the people a way to resist potential oppressors and outside threats. But the world is a completely different place than it was when the Bill of Rights was written. The military has flying murder robots and civilization-destroying bombs now, and instead of banding together with our neighbors and fighting off some terrible enemy we're taking shots at each other in Walmarts. It's time to pack it in.

Violent crime is at an all time low and you're safer than you have ever been. Cable news, invented in the late 80s, makes this problem seem a lot worse than it is and salt and pork is a lot more likely to kill you than an AR15. Eat a salad, , smile at a stranger. Make society a better place.

ColdPie posted:

Great. We're both on board, and I think every Democrat in congress would vote in favor of those two measures and in favor of increased training for police. Why do you think they haven't happened?

I refer you to my other post, also directed at you.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 16, 2016

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

We're not talking about X, we're talking about gun control (which i and almost every gun owner is in favor of) and saving lives. If you want to expand background checks i'm onboard, if you want to make someone dance through legal hoops to get a 30 round magazine i'm annoyed but alright with it.

Great. We're both on board, and I think every Democrat in congress would vote in favor of those two measures and in favor of increased training for police. Why do you think they haven't happened?

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I feel like i'm being more reasonable than you.

I am agreeing to the policies that you proposed. It's called compromise.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

MattD1zzl3 posted:

... I feel like i'm being more reasonable than you.

Some people are so disgusted with the state of things and frustrated at obstructionists that they take to the internet to vent and poo poo on people who sound/smell/look like they're sympathetic to the folks they see as murder enablers. I think you just have to ignore the weird, misdirected anger (eg "so what are we going to do about it" posted in a drat forum thread, like the posters here can do jack poo poo). v:geno:v

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

showbiz_liz posted:

Proposal: if you want a gun you have to make it yourself from scratch, like a lightsaber.

Not to be that guy again since I know this is a joke, but now you have to define "from scratch".

Because as it is now, that 80% lower I showed earlier is not a gun.

Then someone guys this, or a similar cnc mill (and the maker community is making these very cheap with the goal of making cnc mills a desktop machine), and can very easily make said gun. Then they buy a parts kit, or even just get the files for milling them out, and pop it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRtll3jjU4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MattD1zzl3 posted:

It would be a good thing to take all the guns away from people like you.

• Locked thread