Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

EmmyOk posted:

I am actually bummed Kortopi got killed because s/he was so adorable. At least with Shalnark the evil Shonunen honey role has been taken by pariston.

I liked Kortopi and his design a fair bit, too. I wish we had gotten to see at least a little more of him before his unceremonious murder. Decapitation while using the restroom is pretty bad. Also Hisoka did something to cut off his head without cutting his hair, so it wasn't just a clean kill from behind or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Roland Jones posted:

I liked Kortopi and his design a fair bit, too. I wish we had gotten to see at least a little more of him before his unceremonious murder. Decapitation while using the restroom is pretty bad. Also Hisoka did something to cut off his head without cutting his hair, so it wasn't just a clean kill from behind or something.

texture surprise + bungee gum

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nobunaga can certainly detect aura with en, even aura masked with in. if he can also cut aura, then he might be the spider hisoka is least suited to fight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
hisoka was very specifically shown having a blood lust so extreme he didn't need end beacuse of his murder boner

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it isn't like en is the only way to sense things. it has nothing to do with instinct, either.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Serious Frolicking posted:

nobunaga can certainly detect aura with en, even aura masked with in. if he can also cut aura, then he might be the spider hisoka is least suited to fight.

Yeah he's probably one of the few people capable of cutting both rubber and gum. Hisoka would have trouble in a straight up fight so it's a good thing he's abandoned that approach entirely.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In the Viz translation he says he will fight any of them on sight until he has killed them all which reads more like he'll face them head on rather than trying to assassinate them.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Enhancers don't need complicated Hatsu, but most seem to have one. I mean, Uvogin's hatsu is the same as Gon's Rock aside from Gon has his "First comes rock..." thing as a kind of unintentional condition. If I had to guess, all Nobunaga does is use En to get his senses super precise, and then use Shu on his sword, possibly with his whole aura. Something simple. But he maybe has a simple condition, like say his sword needs to be in it's sheath when he activates his Hatsu, expanding on his natural affinity for Iai or something.

Bad Seafood posted:

Shalnark was probably more useful to them as a front man and information broker than anything else, though I like bad guys whose power is manipulating people as well.

Yeah I thought that Chrollo was listed as an absentee vote in the election, but upon examination Shalnark was the only Spider we know of (aside from Hisoka I guess) who was a pro Hunter. The Ryodan have lost a shitload of information access just because of that alone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is possible that feitan and phinks would have trouble passing the hunter exam due to their huge attitude problems, and shizuku has a faulty memory. the rest wouldn't have any trouble at all passing the hunter exam.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

it is possible that feitan and phinks would have trouble passing the hunter exam due to their huge attitude problems, and shizuku has a faulty memory. the rest wouldn't have any trouble at all passing the hunter exam.

Uvogin outright said he didn't want a Hunter's license because he was proud of being an outlaw. Chrollo probably has similar reasons but would express them more pretentiously.

Nobunaga doesn't seem very bright.

Bonolenov and Franklin have rather recognizable appearances, and Franklin at least probably has a bad enough reputation to make even Netero hesitate to give him a license. Bonolenov comes from an isolated tribe; it's possible he joined the Troupe and became a notorious criminal before he even learned what Hunters were.

Kalluto is (or was until very recently) actually too young to take the Hunter Exam; the minimum age is 12.

Not sure why Kortopi, Pakunoda, and Machi didn't get licenses, though.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jun 16, 2016

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Uvogin outright said he didn't want a Hunter's license because he was proud of being an outlaw.

he said that having a hunters license to buy information on hunter websites wouldnt be useful to him because he never has money anyways, because he always just takes things when he wants them

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I wonder if any personal information is required for the Hunter Exam. Phinks and Feitan could not have their fortunes read because they lacked knowledge of a few of their details. (Phinks does not know his Blood type and Feitan does not know his date of birth.)

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Silver2195 posted:

Franklin at least probably has a bad enough reputation to make even Netero hesitate to give him a license.
Considering Netero knowingly passed both Hisoka and Illumi, the latter after watching him coerce his own 12-year-old brother into murdering a man in cold blood, I'm having a hard time seeing him balk at Franklin's credentials.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Considering Netero knowingly passed both Hisoka and Illumi, the latter after watching him coerce his own 12-year-old brother into murdering a man in cold blood, I'm having a hard time seeing him balk at Franklin's credentials.

"Actually Franklin was the scientist"

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uvogin is dead. i was talking about the surviving spiders. besides, netero never gave a gently caress if psychotic mass murderers or anyone else became a hunter so long as they had talent. pariston is even less picky. hisoka wasnt exactly being low key about who he was and what he was about, you know? if anyone with nen was willing to follow the rules of the exam i figure they were a shoo-in to pass. the hunter exam was meant to find potential nen users, so why would they give people who could already use nen a hard time?

as for why none of the rest ever got a license, they probably just weren't interested. it was helpful having access to the hunter site, but if they ever specifically needed a license any of them could just go out and take one.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Considering Netero knowingly passed both Hisoka and Illumi, the latter after watching him coerce his own 12-year-old brother into murdering a man in cold blood,
Which disqualified his brother.

Unorthodox thinking like that is exactly what passing the hunter exam requires.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I wouldn't be surprised if Hisoka enlisted the help of Illumi again, to help in his new quest to eliminate the Spiders. Probably not to kill them but maybe distract them so he can pick them off individually if the Spiders are together e.g. Phinks & Feitan.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aren't there also the replacement members for Uvo and Paku that we haven't seen? They could be hunters

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

but if they ever specifically needed a license any of them could just go out and take one.

when I recently read york new I got the impression that that's exactly what shalnark did, and that's what he was advising uvo to do as well. but everyone seems to think he passed the hunter exam, so maybe i just missed something

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Aren't there also the replacement members for Uvo and Paku that we haven't seen? They could be hunters

hisoka seems to be counting as if there are.

edit: the election arc named shalnark as a real hunter, i think

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Which disqualified his brother.

Unorthodox thinking like that is exactly what passing the hunter exam requires.
What you're saying is Netero is a good DM.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

alkanphel posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Hisoka enlisted the help of Illumi again, to help in his new quest to eliminate the Spiders. Probably not to kill them but maybe distract them so he can pick them off individually if the Spiders are together e.g. Phinks & Feitan.

The issue with that is Kalluto's presence. Even taking into account that he's probably not as obsessed with him as he is with Killua, Zoldyk infighting is forbidden (with Alluka having been the pseudo-exception), so I doubt Illumi would be keen to enable Hisoka if he thinks it might put his brother in danger.

Then again, he might be ignorant, or he might be so awful he doesn't care about poor Kalluto. We'll see, if he shows up, I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised either, really.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 16, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also reading the recent stuff again I totally forgot that Netero was best pals with Zzigg who is either Zeno's father or uncle I guess. I also forgot that a Freecs is apparently exploring the Dark Continent right now.

Killua > Zeno = Illumi = Alluka> Silva > Milluki > The mam > Maha > loving Gotoh or some poo poo > Kalluto

I assume this is what Illumi thinks too

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 16, 2016

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Law Cheetah posted:

when I recently read york new I got the impression that that's exactly what shalnark did, and that's what he was advising uvo to do as well. but everyone seems to think he passed the hunter exam, so maybe i just missed something

The hunter license only can be used by the hunter its given to.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
hisoka doesn't know who kalluto is. heck, even the spiders may not know his last name.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tunicate posted:

The hunter license only can be used by the hunter its given to.

it can be used for anything but identification as a hunter. all the other functions can be used by anyone.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Illumi is the grandson of one of Netero's friends. In any case, all the killing Hisoka and Illumi have done (IIRC) is the kind of thing someone like Netero or Ging would probably shrug off with "they knew the risks." I'm pretty sure Franklin has actually killed uninvolved people.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I Illumi apologism going on rn? If you don't have murder boners and cut speech symbols you can't do that poo poo

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

it can be used for anything but identification as a hunter. all the other functions can be used by anyone.

They definitely said you had to be the original owner to use the miscellaneous benefits. I'll have to dig into the archives to find an exact quote on it, though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I Illumi apologism going on rn? If you don't have murder boners and cut speech symbols you can't do that poo poo

I did say "IIRC," because I don't remember the details of everything Illumi has done. I do remember that Zeno makes a point of only killing the people he's specifically hired to kill, but I think one of the other Zoldycks (Kikyo?) did some experiments with Alluka's power that killed a bunch of random people.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Yea, it's specifically mentioned early on that the amount of money you could get just for selling a Hunter license is enough to support yourself for your entire life. If they were unusable by anyone but the original Hunter, there wouldn't be such a massive black market price for them and there'd be no talk of stealing one to use yourself.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It was a plot point in the election arc that the Hunter Exam has no filter for mass murderers (Illumi specifically being the poster child for "everything wrong with the Hunter exam"), and all the candidates had various things to say about exam reform. Netero was just a crazy dude who didn't care who passed as long as they were strong.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

The issue with that is Kalluto's presence. Even taking into account that he's probably not as obsessed with him as he is with Killua, Zoldyk infighting is forbidden (with Alluka having been the pseudo-exception), so I doubt Illumi would be keen to enable Hisoka if he thinks it might put his brother in danger.

Then again, he might be ignorant, or he might be so awful he doesn't care about poor Kalluto. We'll see, if he shows up, I suppose. I wouldn't be surprised either, really.

Possibly Hisoka kills off the other Spiders but Illumi just tells (or makes) Kalluto go home :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the hunter exam kills people as part of the application process. the zoldycks kill people for money, without ever caring if their targets deserved it. hisoka killed an examiner and he wasn't forbidden from retaking the exam.

netero didn't care. pariston has different reasons than netero but in the end he also doesn't care.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I expect Gon to get his powers back and it'd be a shame if he didn't but it'll definitely feel like a cop out regardless.

Silver2195 posted:

I did say "IIRC," because I don't remember the details of everything Illumi has done. I do remember that Zeno makes a point of only killing the people he's specifically hired to kill, but I think one of the other Zoldycks (Kikyo?) did some experiments with Alluka's power that killed a bunch of random people.

Ah yeah I'm only teasing. I definitely don't think Franklin or the others would have a problem getting a license during Netero's time.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

It was a plot point in the election arc that the Hunter Exam has no filter for mass murderers (Illumi specifically being the poster child for "everything wrong with the Hunter exam"), and all the candidates had various things to say about exam reform. Netero was just a crazy dude who didn't care who passed as long as they were strong.

I guess you're right. Maybe Franklin could have gotten a license if he'd wanted one after all.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

the hunter exam kills people as part of the application process. the zoldycks kill people for money, without ever caring if their targets deserved it. hisoka killed an examiner and he wasn't forbidden from retaking the exam.

netero didn't care. pariston has different reasons than netero but in the end he also doesn't care.

He almost killed that guy and in Trick Tower he wasn't an examiner.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

He nearly killed an examiner. Which got him disqualified. Then he actually murdered that same examiner when he attacked him for revenge in the tower. (But this time the guy was not an examiner for the current exam so Hisoka was not disqualified.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we don't really know much about franklin's personality other than how pragmatic he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Illumi is the grandson of one of Netero's friends. In any case, all the killing Hisoka and Illumi have done (IIRC) is the kind of thing someone like Netero or Ging would probably shrug off with "they knew the risks." I'm pretty sure Franklin has actually killed uninvolved people.
Kinda missing the forest for the trees here, IMO. The point is Netero wasn't exactly big on enforcing moral scruples. Illumi even asked him, to his face, if it would be alright to kill him after receiving his license and Netero said yes. Granted, I'm sure Netero had nothing to fear from someone like Illumi, but even so, "The Devil himself could pass the Hunter Exam if an examiner says it's okay."

Hisoka straight up told him the only reason he wanted to be a hunter was to get away with murder and Netero passed him as well. I'm sure Netero would've passed any of the Spiders who made it that far.

Tangentially, Illumi has probably killed innocent bystanders, not that Netero would know about that. I never got the sense his needle puppets survived extraction, and a great number of them seemed to be "Normal" people.