Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Madkal posted:

It's been pointed out before but Australia, a country with strict gun laws, doesn't have mas shootings, though America, which has loose gun laws does. But hey, American land of the free.

Australia had extremely few mass shootings BEFORE their strict gun laws and the number of mass murders caused by other means (melee weapons, arson, etc.) is only slightly lower than the total before the gun law change. The changes also came into effect after an unusual spike in gun violence that was statistically an outlier from the past history that could have just as easily dropped on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ularg posted:

A handy guide for him if you ever decide to touch the poop:

Obama - Drone Strike Terrorists
Reagan - Arm and fund terrorists

I touched the poop with a bad joke.

quote:

Yes. There are now more terrorist groups that need American arms and financial aid. Think of the terrorist's children!

I feel ashamed. :saddowns:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

chitoryu12 posted:

Australia had extremely few mass shootings BEFORE their strict gun laws and the number of mass murders caused by other means (melee weapons, arson, etc.) is only slightly lower than the total before the gun law change. The changes also came into effect after an unusual spike in gun violence that was statistically an outlier from the past history that could have just as easily dropped on its own.

Americans in general are the real problem.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

Well you could say it only took one mass shooting for them to change their law, instead of waiting to see if mass shootings would ever become the norm in the future.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Which countries with strict gun laws see mass shootings? Particularly compared to a certain nation in which gun regulation is rather lax?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Kajeesus posted:

Which countries with strict gun laws see mass shootings? Particularly compared to a certain nation in which gun regulation is rather lax?

Mexico has strict gun laws and lots of gun violence. So we help them by sending guns to their gun clubs.

The Spanish word for gun club is "el cartel."

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Guns don't kill people, Americans do... with guns.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oldpainless posted:

The point that thing is trying to make is that all those places on that list would assumedly be full of people carrying a weapon. Despite being in the military and on a military base, most people aren't armed and don't have a firearm within a few seconds reach. The Government specifically tries to limit the number of people carrying a weapon on base.

I've heard more than a few military guys point out that its stupid to trust a base full of 18-22 year olds who have been trained to kill at the drop of a hat. They have constant brawls on bases, and having those guys armed is not a good idea. Most weapons, down to and including fixed blade knives, are typically banned on bases unless you are on duty at the moment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Madkal posted:

Well you could say it only took one mass shooting for them to change their law, instead of waiting to see if mass shootings would ever become the norm in the future.

Actually there were at least 15 mass shootings in Australia from the 1971 up through Port Arthur in 1996, plus 1 incident of arson at a nightclub. Afterward there were 4 mass shootings, 3 arson attacks, 1 blunt instrument attack, and 1 mass stabbing of children. The actual number of casualties from mass murder has only slightly decreased.

So a better explanation is "Australia took like 15 mass shootings to change the law, then still had a pretty similar number of mass murders with different methods instead."

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
My sister :sigh:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

chitoryu12 posted:

Actually there were at least 15 mass shootings in Australia from the 1971 up through Port Arthur in 1996, plus 1 incident of arson at a nightclub. Afterward there were 4 mass shootings, 3 arson attacks, 1 blunt instrument attack, and 1 mass stabbing of children. The actual number of casualties from mass murder has only slightly decreased.

So a better explanation is "Australia took like 15 mass shootings to change the law, then still had a pretty similar number of mass murders with different methods instead."

Well unfortunately you can't control people buying a box of matches, but gun violence is down still. But then again I hear the argument about why doing any gun control when people will just kill each other using other methods quite often.
Thanks for the eye opener on mass shooting though.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Ularg posted:

We just need more "Good Guys" with guns. As long as those "Good Guys" are God-fearing, Gay and Muslim hating Americans, women need not reply.

The last good guy with a gun story I heard ended with the good guy shooting the victim by mistake and fleeing the scene. I wonder what the good guy with a gun people had to say about that.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Your sister might be differently abled in the head.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Murphys Law posted:

The last good guy with a gun story I heard ended with the good guy shooting the victim by mistake and fleeing the scene. I wonder what the good guy with a gun people had to say about that.

Wasn't good, guy or gun enough, obviously.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ularg posted:

You-Know-Who on my friends list has been working non-stop to fill my feed with garbage.

If only there was just a single guy with a gun at this gun-free nightclub. :allears: (I wish I had a list of how many "good guys with guns" were at each shooting, but I really don't need to get any more depressed today)

And yet the same people insist that we need laws to keep pervs out of ladies' bathrooms. Ok guy.

Murphys Law posted:

The answer is "No true Scotsman".
Obviously that fella wasn't a True Responsible Gun Owner (TM).

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Madkal posted:

Well unfortunately you can't control people buying a box of matches, but gun violence is down still. But then again I hear the argument about why doing any gun control when people will just kill each other using other methods quite often.
Thanks for the eye opener on mass shooting though.

Well, gun violence is down in the sense that the new gun laws didn't really do a whole lot that wouldn't have happened naturally. The new gun laws after Port Arthur were enacted in 1996, and you actually see that gun violence in Australia was on a downward trend in general since the 1970s. The Port Arthur massacre was a random statistical spike, the likes of which happened repeatedly in previous decades and were often followed by declines just as sharp or sharper than after the enactment of the 1996 gun laws. In general, murder actually saw a spike after the 1996 gun laws while manslaughter has remained almost exactly the same for decades. Statistically, the laws have done nothing that random chance hasn't. It's more likely that gun violence changes are due to changes in economic conditions and culture, the usual things that affect crime rate.

Regardless of your opinion on whether new gun laws would be a benefit in the United States, Australia is actually a really lovely example to use. I've seen a ton of Australians bring out the "After Port Arthur we enacted a bunch of new gun laws and haven't had a mass shooting since and our gun violence dropped" argument, but it's just not true at all. So this:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

is actually the more likely answer.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Are We A Nation Of Gun Nuts...Or Are We Just NUTS???

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/fredwimpy/status/742333426703945733

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Last I checked, porcupine needles were not designed for the explicit purpose of taking lives.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Electric Lady posted:

Last I checked, porcupine needles were not designed for the explicit purpose of taking lives.

Look man, a gun was designed to fire bullets. It's not the bullet's fault it was fired into something.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Saw this today

...just saying...something doesn't add up...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Does he think liberals should have guns for hands?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I can't find it anymore, but a friend posted this thing saying "If I can't go to a Muslim country and drink beer and wear shorts,why should we cater to them?" I responded that when I visited two Muslim countries where I drank beer everyday and wore bikinis and no one gave a flying gently caress. She 'liked' my comment. So hopefully that means I educated her? Maybe she deleted it? One can only hope.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

I can't find it anymore, but a friend posted this thing saying "If I can't go to a Muslim country and drink beer and wear shorts,why should we cater to them?" I responded that when I visited two Muslim countries where I drank beer everyday and wore bikinis and no one gave a flying gently caress. She 'liked' my comment. So hopefully that means I educated her? Maybe she deleted it? One can only hope.

Bit of both probably? I dunno, some people who make or share statuses like that, tend to back down once they get a contrasting response. It's better than them doubling down and argue with you, at least.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

chitoryu12 posted:

I wouldn't rest my argument on that list.

But, that said, of the four mass shootings between 1996 and 2014, only one is really comparable to Port Arthur, and I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could have been much, much worse if the perpetrator had access to the same sort of gear as used in Port Arthur.

IamnotJoe
Jul 24, 2005
Maybe Steve.
Guns don't kill people. Gun Owners kill people. Let's just ban Gun Owners.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

RFC2324 posted:

Wasn't Osama trained by the Reagan Administration?

He wasn't.

While it's true that the Reagan Administration was dumping tons of money and arms into Afghanistan, most of it was funneled through the ISI (Pakistan's intelligence service), and none of it was sent to Bin Laden or his group, at least directly or willfully on the CIA/Reagan's part.

Bin Laden was for the most part, self-funded from his own family's wealth as well as having other Saudi financiers back his jihad in Afghanistan.

I recommend reading Ghost Wars if you want to know more about it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

IamnotJoe posted:

Guns don't kill people. Gun Owners kill people. Let's just ban Gun Owners.

kill whitey

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

mng posted:

kill whitey

Muslim spotted

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

C'mon man, you're not even god-king yet.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

mng posted:

kill whitey

You posted from the wrong account, FAROOQ.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Ularg posted:

You posted from the wrong account, FAROOQ.

that's very insulting :/

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

John Big Booty posted:

I wouldn't rest my argument on that list.

But, that said, of the four mass shootings between 1996 and 2014, only one is really comparable to Port Arthur, and I think it's not out of the realm of possibility that it could have been much, much worse if the perpetrator had access to the same sort of gear as used in Port Arthur.

I'd suggest comparing total casualties rather than the destruction of a single event. All of the mass murders from 1971 until 1996 (I'm discounting the biker gang shootout) counted for a total of 127 deaths and 35+ injured (the Whiskey Au Go Go fire had an untold number of injured). All of the mass murders after Port Arthur (discounting serial killings from 1992 to 1999 by a group) count for 62 deaths and at least 8 injured (several of the massacres were arson, so it's unknown how many were injured). You're going from an average of 5 deaths per year to 3.4 deaths per year from mass murder. Not a gigantic improvement.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

If America were to get a 32% reduction in the last 4 years, that's more than 300 people alive. 32% is a huge statistical change

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arctic Baldwin posted:

If America were to get a 32% reduction in the last 4 years, that's more than 300 people alive. 32% is a huge statistical change

Edit: Okay, I think we should probably stop and do this elsewhere since we've gotten way the gently caress off topic.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 01:25 on Jun 16, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Lizard Wizard posted:

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

The most infuriating thing about this post is the complete lack of rhythm.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I really want to imagine that even after he loses, Trump is just going to try and find a way to wage a private war against ISIS using his rabid (some might say "radical Christian") followers as jihadists loyal soldiers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

Just a reminder that Woodward and Bernstein worked for the Post and at the height of their investigation Nixon didn't even do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Just a reminder that Woodward and Bernstein worked for the Post and at the height of their investigation Nixon didn't even do this.

"Woodward and Bernstein, began a series of stories that linked a burglary at Democratic Party headquarters to the campaign to re-elect Nixon. The Watergate stories, named for the office complex where the break-in took place, led to Nixon's resignation in 1974 and a Pulitzer Prize for the Post.

Along the way the Post and its leader faced intense pressure, both from the Nixon administration and from other media that ignored the story for months. Attorney General John Mitchell, responding to a story linking him with the scandal, exploded at Bernstein: "Katie Graham's [owner of the Washington Post] gonna get her tit caught in a big fat wringer if that's published."

Graham professed shock, less at Mitchell's metaphor than at the nickname "Katie," which she never used. She briefly wore a small gold laundry wringer and a tiny gold breast on a chain around her neck."