Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

showbiz_liz posted:

I was raised in a house with guns and am a lot more sympathetic than the average liberal to the historical arguments for the Second Amendment. It was a nice idea: give the people a way to resist potential oppressors and outside threats. But the world is a completely different place than it was when the Bill of Rights was written. The military has flying murder robots and civilization-destroying bombs now, and instead of banding together with our neighbors and fighting off some terrible enemy we're taking shots at each other in Walmarts. It's time to pack it in.

It's okay if you think that, and it's not an entirely unreasonable stance even if gun violence keeps stubbornly decreasing no matter whether local laws are tightened or loosened. What's less reasonable is pretending judicial scrutiny of other rights doesn't exist, acting like just this once "The people" means "ARE TROOPS specifically, but actually not any other citizens", or otherwise treating guns uniquely as an open target for tortured legal justifications you wouldn't use for other topics. And that's what a lot of people both in this thread and in gun control discussion as a whole like to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

mattdizzle, where do you stand on the concept of a centralized database? i support stuff like waiting lists and people on the watch list being black listed but i think a database is a bridge too far for me.

also another possibility which doesnt come up often is just leave guns alone and heavily regulate firing caps. which i think is a slick alternative.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

LGD posted:

It's the part of the sentence that actually has instructive content and a makes an actionable declaration as "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state," is very much not a complete thought and does not suggest that it should limit or modify what follows, it's a preface.

To make a totally ridiculous example- let's say we're in a frat, and our frat's founding document says "Proper keggers being a necessary component of the college experience, the right of our all of brothers to possess and consume alcohol should not be infringed." To me that seems like a pretty clear indication that we can't pass restrictions on alcohol consumption for our members without amending the founding document through whatever procedure we have for that. You apparently believe that the explanatory preface means that we're free to pass bylaws restrict alcohol possession and consumption among our members exclusively to "proper keggers," and we can choose to define what "proper" and "kegger" mean such that the only time that qualifies are university approved social events, serving university approved alcohol, and attended exclusively by frat members who are either graduate students or otherwise employed by the university. That interpretation is not a reasonable one.

We might conclude through our fraternity's ridiculously long common law history that we can place some restrictions on alcohol consumption so we don't have people butt chugging vodka in the middle of the lawn or whatever, but we should be putting far more weight on the declaration in the second half of that sentence than on using a tortured reading of the first to just do whatever we want, even if the University Administration is currently breathing down our necks because one of our brothers just threw up outside the Dean's office.

I like this and will save it for later arguments

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Crain posted:

Not to be that guy again since I know this is a joke, but now you have to define "from scratch".

Because as it is now, that 80% lower I showed earlier is not a gun.

Then someone guys this, or a similar cnc mill (and the maker community is making these very cheap with the goal of making cnc mills a desktop machine), and can very easily make said gun. Then they buy a parts kit, or even just get the files for milling them out, and pop it together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwRtll3jjU4

Sten SMGs have like eight parts. They were basically designed to be easy to churn out for any random French resistance member with a regular old machine shop. It isn't markedly harder to make something semi auto.

Yet nobody does it. This is presumably partly because they can get legal guns, but I also think it's a bit like why relatively few people have even basic understanding of how computers work, even though far more people use computers every day than guns.

vvv what drives people to make deliberately inflammatory low effort posts alongside their requests to not discuss the subject? Though I agree about changing the subject. This is mostly just going in circles. At least cratering is funny.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 16, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
just repeal the second amendment, anything less is meaningless ineffectual garbage because manchildren want to hang on to their murder toys and will go to completely insane lengths to do so

and for gently caress's sake change the topic in this thread. There is so much more interesting presidential candidate cratering going on

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Sten SMGs have like eight parts. They were basically designed to be easy to churn out for any random French resistance member with a regular old machine shop. It isn't markedly harder to make something semi auto.

Yet nobody does it. This is presumably partly because they can get legal guns, but I also think it's a bit like why relatively few people have even basic understanding of how computers work, even though far more people use computers every day than guns.

Oh yeah, I don't disagree with that. I'm just arguing against the "I'm going to be clever and sneak in a restriction" arguments. Which are just a dead end.

My stance is hard line restrictions on broad capabilities.

Don't ban AR-15's and removable mags, just ban Semi-automatic weapons. With terms defined as broadly as possible.

Don't ban magazine tube extensions on shotguns with pistol grips painted black, ban semi auto and pump action shotguns. Again, defined as broadly as possible.

I agree that there will always be people who can and will make their own guns, even for reasons completely separate from wanting to use them. They are very interesting machines and the mechanics that go into them can be likened to clockwork.

But I don't think that is a reason to not go forward with a ban.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
How effective can any gun control measures be, considering the huge amount of guns already in the US?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

mattdizzle, where do you stand on the concept of a centralized database? i support stuff like waiting lists and people on the watch list being black listed but i think a database is a bridge too far for me.

also another possibility which doesnt come up often is just leave guns alone and heavily regulate firing caps. which i think is a slick alternative.

I agree, if we're agreeing that the point of owning guns is to resist oppressive government and or foreign invasion creating a handy-dandy list of who to round up and execute is counterintuitive

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

boom boom boom posted:

How effective can any gun control measures be, considering the huge amount of guns already in the US?

Beginning with a small effect, then increasing in effectiveness as time goes on. As is the case with any law.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

The second amendment says people can keep and bear arms, but it doesn't say anything about buying them!

Ah, the Air Bud loophole.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Xanderkish posted:

Beginning with a small effect, then increasing in effectiveness as time goes on. As is the case with any law.

*cough* war on drugs but worse *cough*

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Can we just kill all white people? That'd help so much.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
In an effort to right the boat:

The Washington Post posted:

The Pillars of Covering Trump

1. Donald Trump is never wrong.

Donald Trump is infallible — like the pope but with more raw sexual charisma. If Donald Trump appears to be wrong in a story, either because of a statement or an action, or some combination of the two, it should be rewritten so that he is not wrong. A good baseline for what is fair and honest coverage is that fair and honest coverage depicts Donald Trump as the shining, golden god he is, envied of men and beloved of women. Unfair, dishonest coverage does not depict Donald Trump this way.

3. Does Donald Trump contradict himself? Very well; he contradicts himself. Donald Trump is large. Donald Trump contains multitudes.

10. Donald Trump believes that criticism is healthy. As Noel Coward put it, Donald Trump can take any amount of criticism, so long as it is unqualified praise.

Some Frequently Asked Questions on Fair Trump Coverage

Q: Can I just print a transcript of what Donald Trump actually said?

A: No. This is very mean and bad. What Donald Trump actually says is, of course, uniformly good and correct. But sometimes if you just write it out and give it to people to see, they will not think so. Therefore, this is to be avoided.

Link is in the image. Didn't see this posted earlier.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Nah, that'd be silly.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If you ban semi automatic guns i'm getting in a gunfight with the police and dying. I feel like i'm being more reasonable than you.

Am I reading this wrong or did you just say you would fight to the death if the police tried to take your guns away

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008

blue squares posted:

Am I reading this wrong or did you just say you would fight to the death if the police tried to take your guns away

I was so confused as to why an entire page had gone and no one had mentioned that sentence. :confused:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I did offer lots of other options he didnt think to quote. I do of course not intend for this to happen. (Do i seriously need to say this?)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

showbiz_liz posted:

Proposal: if you want a gun you have to make it yourself from scratch, like a lightsaber.

I think we may have just solved this problem. Congratulations all around!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I always enjoy the part of gun chat where someone says "If you attempt to implement gun control policy X I will use my guns to murder people. Can you please be more reasonable, it's incredibly unreasonable to do something that causes me to decide to murder people with my guns. I guess only one of is is willing to be reasonable here."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

He said that but he actually wouldn't, lol

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blue squares posted:

I'm not seeing the issue

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Sure, because a difficult-to-make, difficult-to-conceal thing that police and politicians have no need for, that sells at maybe $100 per pound, and that most people will never need to buy more than one of? That's going to be way harder to deal with than an easy-to-make, easy-to-conceal thing that police enjoy as much as the rest of us, that sells at maybe $100,000 per pound, and that many people literally can't stop buying. Obviously.

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I did offer lots of other options he didnt think to quote. I do of course not intend for this to happen. (Do i seriously need to say this?)
You are literally prepared to murder people to protect your metal penis extensions. It's nice that you don't intend for it to happen, though. Super reassuring.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

people kill census agents, imagine the hell raised with a door to door gun confiscation

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

pumpinglemma posted:

Sure, because a difficult-to-make, difficult-to-conceal thing that police and politicians have no need for, that sells at maybe $100 per pound, and that most people will never need to buy more than one of? That's going to be way harder to deal with than an easy-to-make, easy-to-conceal thing that police enjoy as much as the rest of us, that sells at maybe $100,000 per pound, and that many people literally can't stop buying. Obviously.

There's already millions of guns in America, and a well maintained gun can last for centuries.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Everywhere outside of the deep south and flyovers HATE Ted Cruz. What does he think he can possibly win that Romney didn't?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

boom boom boom posted:

That's why there should be a buyback program at the same time. Like what Australia did.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I don't see why sending cops to millions of houses across the US to confiscate legally purchased property could result in any violence. I mean, first of all, we're dealing with the police here. So right off the bat the safety of the civilians is guaranteed. And secondly, people don't mind having their stuff taken. That's just human nature.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If you're willing to shoot a lawfully empowered agent of a legitimate state authorized to confiscate your guns you shouldn't be owning them in the first place.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

weekly font posted:

Everywhere outside of the deep south and flyovers HATE Ted Cruz. What does he think he can possibly win that Romney didn't?

People think the silent majority still exists. No sorry they died.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

boom boom boom posted:

There's already millions of guns in America, and a well maintained gun can last for centuries.

And your point is? The vast majority of them are owned by a tiny minority of Americas. And 78% of Americans own 0 guns.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Larch posted:

If you're willing to shoot a lawfully empowered agent of a legitimate state authorized to confiscate your guns you shouldn't be owning them in the first place.

Yeah that kind of attitude is the kind of thing that should make you fail the psych evaluation that will be required for owning a gun.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
My argument for banning all guns is that people opposed to banning all guns say poo poo like

quote:

If you ban semi automatic guns i'm getting in a gunfight with the police and dying.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

The Rokstar posted:

My argument for banning all guns is that people opposed to banning all guns say poo poo like

Indeed. That was truly a serious post and a reflection of his true mental state. Yes.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

showbiz_liz posted:

Proposal: if you want a gun you have to make it yourself from scratch, like a lightsaber.

Ah-ha!

I've been thinking about this all wrong.

I need to nationalize all weapons manufacturers or take away the business licenses of anyone who does. Nothing could be more liberating for the American people than artisan, hand crafted guns!

As guns have more rights than people it is obviously an affront to their existence that there are mass produced, poorly ornamented weapons flooding our streets.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Indeed. That was truly a serious post and a reflection of his true mental state. Yes.

Remember kids, if it is anti-gun hyperbole it is true and scary and if it is pro-murder hyperbole it is just a joke you idiot

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, it's not a short-term victory by any means. Especially because you can't really search people's houses for guns without destroying the fourth amendment, which is worth keeping. But if you're slowly reducing the number of guns in the country by confiscating and destroying them as they're found, and the supply is barely increasing because other industries (like drugs) offer a much more rewarding and less risky investment, then sooner or later most of the guns are going to be gone.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

people kill census agents, imagine the hell raised with a door to door gun confiscation

This isn't even necessary. Do buybacks for the now illegal handguns and military style rifles or whatever they come up with. People that don't go along with it can keep their toys but if they're ever caught with them it's confiscated and they're hit with a pretty hefty fine. Something that will actually hurt. You'll probably get Bird Refuge 2: This time more of them die somewhere, but I'm ok with that.

They'll just have to buy another F350 that will never tow anything or see any kind of offroad action for compensation for their micro penises.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Even just restricting future sales while keeping current under-regulated guns in owner's hands will do a lot.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

pumpinglemma posted:

Oh, it's not a short-term victory by any means. Especially because you can't really search people's houses for guns without destroying the fourth amendment, which is worth keeping. But if you're slowly reducing the number of guns in the country by confiscating and destroying them as they're found, and the supply is barely increasing because other industries (like drugs) offer a much more rewarding and less risky investment, then sooner or later most of the guns are going to be gone.

I'm imagining SWAT teams with billowing red capes that say "GUN SQUAD". Considering how well the fourth is protected right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

withak posted:

Yeah that kind of attitude is the kind of thing that should make you fail the psych evaluation that will be required for owning a gun.

If it was up to me, people who wanted to own guns would not be allowed to own guns, and people who didn't want to own guns would be required to own them.

• Locked thread