Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

alnilam posted:

I agree that PR has generally had pretty bad governance, but that doesn't mean that their bizarre territory status doesn't make this harder for them. Most small economies who suffer from bad governance have the very important ability to negotiate bankruptcy and restructure their debt when their bad governance catches up to them. This also allows their creditors (if we take a charitable view of international banking here) to sort of undo their bad governance somewhat by demanding certain changes in exchange for the restructuring and further lending. But PR's hands are tied. They desperately want to declare bankruptcy, but they're not allowed to. This is why their territory status is hurting them. If they were a state, or independent, they could do this, but they can't.

Like, you're saying "why would this be any better if they were a state or independent" and then you're listing reasons why PR statehood would be a complicated transition. Which is true. But it has little to do with the issue at hand.

US states can't declare bankruptcy. There was a brief push to make this possible in general in response to Puerto Rico, but then sane policymakers realized that several much less sane (conservative, starve-the-beast) state governments that have been operating in a similar way to PR would use it as an escape hatch and by doing so almost instantly torpedo the US economy. Bankruptcy or, preferably, a major federal aid and restructuring influx from the federal government, can and should be done for PR- but it has to be the once-in-several-centuries exception, not the rule.

edit: poking around a bit online, it looks like the conventional reading of the contracts clause of the Constitution also precludes state bankruptcy, but that that interpretation has never been adjudicated.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Gyges posted:

Yes, these seem pretty on the face of them super hosed up and wrong to the point where they should be overturned 8-0. A large part of why these became law is White Man's Burden claptrap. They also are in opposition to my reading of the Citizenship Clause of the 14th Amendment.

Not really sure how you could read that from the 14th Amendment, or why you think it's wrong for congress to set citizenship rules for people not born inside the United States.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
What I don't understand about PR is what happens when literally everyone just leaves. A Detroit in the Caribbean.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What I don't understand about PR is what happens when literally everyone just leaves. A Detroit in the Caribbean.

Don't worry, the gated communities on the coast will still get AmazonDrone(R) deliveries.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Jarmak posted:

Not really sure how you could read that from the 14th Amendment, or why you think it's wrong for congress to set citizenship rules for people not born inside the United States.

quote:

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States [...]

It's pretty clear if you consider territories controlled by the United States to be "in the United States", which is a natural reading, though possibly not correct. Not really sure how you couldn't see that. Maybe you could help us out with some actual reasoning instead of smug assertions?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Yashichi posted:

It's pretty clear if you consider territories controlled by the United States to be "in the United States", which is a natural reading, though possibly not correct. Not really sure how you couldn't see that. Maybe you could help us out with some actual reasoning instead of smug assertions?
Why would we include areas that aren't states into the United States?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

twodot posted:

Why would we include areas that aren't states into the United States?

Uh... there are some US citizens that are going to be very, very mad at you if you don't. And because they are still part of the USA, obviously. We've already included them "into the United States".

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
"The United States" is generally understood to refer to a political entity composed not only of states but other stuff and you have to pull some real semantic magic to assert otherwise. Since the District of Columbia isn't a state I guess it's not even part of the United States!

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yashichi posted:

Considering places not in the United States in the United States is not the natural reading of that at all?

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
Please help me understand by clarifying what you mean by "in the United States" because it seems to differ from conventional use.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Jarmak posted:

Considering places not in the United States in the United States is not the natural reading of that at all?

Are you denying that territories are part of the United States, or just denying that things that are part of the United States are in the United States? Just to make sure we're clear.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GlyphGryph posted:

Are you denying that territories are part of the United States, or just denying that things that are part of the United States are in the United States? Just to make sure we're clear.

The US grants national status to anyone living within the United States and territories that it controls.

The 14th only grants citizenship to areas that are formally incorporated into it.

Right now that's strictly the 50 states and a small uninhabited atoll in the Pacific Ocean that used to be part of Hawaii.

Any other grant of citizenship would have to be done under naturalization, and that's strictly an act of Congress.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yashichi posted:

Please help me understand by clarifying what you mean by "in the United States" because it seems to differ from conventional use.

No not really, territories of the United States are not in the United States, I've never heard anyone claim otherwise and I don't know what you're basing calling that a conventional use on, that's plainly not what the term means.

GlyphGryph posted:

Territories are administered by the United States they are not in the United States, I'm not sure what definition you are using for "part of" or why you're trying to introduce a new word that has no relevance to quibble over.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

uninterrupted fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 11, 2020

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uninterrupted posted:

What about the people in D.C.? This theory has gaping loopholes in it.

Ok, I forgot to list "Washington DC". It's the 50 states, Washington DC, and a small uninhabited atoll in the middle of the Pacific.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
It really isn't a theory. That's the current state of law and jurisprudence. I linked the relevant statute of the US Code earlier.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/chapter-12/subchapter-III/part-I

8 U.S. Code § 1408 posted:

Unless otherwise provided in section 1401 of this title, the following shall be nationals, but not citizens, of the United States at birth:
(1) A person born in an outlying possession of the United States on or after the date of formal acquisition of such possession;
(2) A person born outside the United States and its outlying possessions of parents both of whom are nationals, but not citizens, of the United States, and have had a residence in the United States, or one of its outlying possessions prior to the birth of such person;
(3) A person of unknown parentage found in an outlying possession of the United States while under the age of five years, until shown, prior to his attaining the age of twenty-one years, not to have been born in such outlying possession; and
(4) A person born outside the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a national, but not a citizen, of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than seven years in any continuous period of ten years—
(A) during which the national parent was not outside the United States or its outlying possessions for a continuous period of more than one year, and
(B) at least five years of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years.
The proviso of section 1401(g) of this title shall apply to the national parent under this paragraph in the same manner as it applies to the citizen parent under that section.

Note that Section 1401 is primarily concerned with de jure citizenship, and how that's handled. Sections 1402-1407 all basically grant citizenship to the organized territories of the US. (Of which American Samoa is formally not, in the Congressional sense)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 16, 2016

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Jarmak posted:

No not really, territories of the United States are not in the United States, I've never heard anyone claim otherwise and I don't know what you're basing calling that a conventional use on, that's plainly not what the term means.

Territories are administered by the United States they are not in the United States, I'm not sure what definition you are using for "part of" or why you're trying to introduce a new word that has no relevance to quibble over.

"In the United States" can be taken to mean "in the borders of the nation known as the United States", which Gyges was evidently basing his reading of the 14th on. Instead of explaining why that reading isn't correct you have decided to reinvent the English language. How do you define " in the United States" for the purposes of the 14th amendment?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Yashichi posted:

"In the United States" can be taken to mean "in the borders of the nation known as the United States", which Gyges was evidently basing his reading of the 14th on. Instead of explaining why that reading isn't correct you have decided to reinvent the English language. How do you define " in the United States" for the purposes of the 14th amendment?

The United States includes those territories incorporated into the United States. Of which there is exactly one at the moment and its uninhabited. This goes back to the insular cases from the early 20th century.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yashichi posted:

American Samoa is not within the borders of the United States, it is an outlying possession administered by the United States. "In the United States" means within the borders of the 50 United states of America or territories that have otherwise been incorporated. I'm not reinventing English, this is what the term means, has always meant, and is a matter of absolutely zero controversy in statutory or case law. It also is the very direct plain meaning of the language in it's common usage and I've never in my life heard anyone try to use it otherwise.

I fully believe that people commonly use it incorrectly as sloppy shorthand when they mean "in the jurisdiction of the United States" or "part of the federal government of the United States" but that's not what the words actually mean and sloppy incorrect terminology is not what we use to judge laws.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Jarmak posted:

American Samoa is not within the borders of the United States, it is an outlying possession administered by the United States. "In the United States" means within the borders of the 50 United states of America or territories that have otherwise been incorporated. I'm not reinventing English, this is what the term means, has always meant, and is a matter of absolutely zero controversy in statutory or case law. It also is the very direct plain meaning of the language in it's common usage and I've never in my life heard anyone try to use it otherwise.

I fully believe that people commonly use it incorrectly as sloppy shorthand when they mean "in the jurisdiction of the United States" or "part of the federal government of the United States" but that's not what the words actually mean and sloppy incorrect terminology is not what we use to judge laws.

Why wouldn't people simply refer to it as "the incorporated United States"? I mean I understand the basis for your definition, but is the qualification of "incorporated" an accepted legal standard or simply your preference? I'm asking because I have no clue.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yashichi posted:

Territories controlled by the United States are not "in" the United States, they're just territory under its control. It may not make much sense from a modern standpoint, but rewind your brain a hundred-twenty years or so to the heyday of colonialism and imperialism and you should realize exactly why territory under US dominion isn't automatically "part of the United States" with the various legal privileges that brings.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Kirtsaeeng is reversed unanimously, and instructs lower correspondence to reasonably consider the losing side's position in determining lawyers fees in copyright cases

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Kingdomware is a unanimous reversal of the Federal Circuit

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

Kingdomware is a unanimous reversal of the Federal Circuit

By Thomas so you know it's clear cut

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
UHS v. US is a unanimous reversal of the 1st circuit

Not a good day for the lower circuits.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

By Thomas so you know it's clear cut

He wrote United Health Services as well which is probably a boon to consumers.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Why wouldn't people simply refer to it as "the incorporated United States"? I mean I understand the basis for your definition, but is the qualification of "incorporated" an accepted legal standard or simply your preference? I'm asking because I have no clue.

Because that would be redundant, being incorporated into something essentially means being made part of it, I only said that to avoid someone trying to be pedantic about DC.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Universal Healthcare is a great one. UHC killed at least one or more of it's patients by prescribing medication while no one on staff was actually qualified or licensed to diagnose the mental health problems or prescribe the medications in the first place.

They're going to get hosed now when it comes to actual judgement. The moral of the story is, do not ever file a claim with the government if you do not actually have the qualifications to perform the job.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Am I incorrect that it is because of the Insular Cases that unincorporated territories are not considered part of the United States, and further that the Insular Cases largely rest on racist as gently caress dumbshit reasoning? Without the Insular Cases it seems to me that the territories would be considered part of the United States and thus people born there citizens under the 14th amendment. Since the Insular Cases seem so onerous, that is why I was asking why there isn't an 8-0 vote to get rid of that rulling.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gyges posted:

Am I incorrect that it is because of the Insular Cases that unincorporated territories are not considered part of the United States, and further that the Insular Cases largely rest on racist as gently caress dumbshit reasoning? Without the Insular Cases it seems to me that the territories would be considered part of the United States and thus people born there citizens under the 14th amendment. Since the Insular Cases seem so onerous, that is why I was asking why there isn't an 8-0 vote to get rid of that rulling.

US Constitution posted:

The Congress shall have power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

Basically, the insular cases said that congress can do whatever it wants with territory belonging to the United States but not within any state. Hence the incorporation process, the insular cases said that congress can decide whether a territory is like a state or not. Its not quite as slam dunk as one might initially think.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Basically, the insular cases said that congress can do whatever it wants with territory belonging to the United States but not within any state. Hence the incorporation process, the insular cases said that congress can decide whether a territory is like a state or not. Its not quite as slam dunk as one might initially think.

Yeah, I think most laymen (like me) aren't familiar with the distinction of incorporation. It makes sense, it's just not obvious and not something you pick up from casual literature.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, I think most laymen (like me) aren't familiar with the distinction of incorporation. It makes sense, it's just not obvious and not something you pick up from casual literature.

It's best to think of it as the difference between annexation and cession.

If someone ceded you something, you take control of it.

If you annex something, you take control of it and bring it into your state.

The Senate can accept cessions of territories as part of its powers regarding treaties, but actual annexation will also require consent of Congress as a whole and as such, the House needs to also pass a motion.

It really even predates the Insular cases, but the Insular cases are where it was at the forefront because it involved ceded territories that Congress did not immediately annex

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

Right now that's strictly the 50 states and a small uninhabited atoll in the Pacific Ocean that used to be part of Hawaii.

What atoll is that? Midway?

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Ron Jeremy posted:

What atoll is that? Midway?

Palmyra. It was part of the Hawaii territory, but was not included as part of the State of Hawaii. Now, it's run by the Department of the Interior, basically as a wildlife refuge.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So this has probably been covered, but assuming Clinton wins and the senate Republicans all of a sudden want Garland because he's far more moderate than someone Clinton would pick with a supposed mandate, does Obama withdraw the nomination citing the same rationale as the pre-election GOP senate? Is there a graceful way to do that, or is he beyond giving a gently caress about looking graceful?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

So this has probably been covered, but assuming Clinton wins and the senate Republicans all of a sudden want Garland because he's far more moderate than someone Clinton would pick with a supposed mandate, does Obama withdraw the nomination citing the same rationale as the pre-election GOP senate? Is there a graceful way to do that, or is he beyond giving a gently caress about looking graceful?

Maybe Obama genuinely thinks Garland would be a good justice? Why does everybody assume that isn't the case?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Goatman Sacks posted:

No, if for no other reason than

showbiz_liz posted:

Maybe Obama genuinely thinks Garland would be a good justice? Why does everybody assume that isn't the case?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

showbiz_liz posted:

Because the issue isn't if he'd be a good justice the issue is he's old.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Which is because hes a compromise pick designed so that Republicans could have no complaints at all other than "gently caress you, Obama"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

showbiz_liz posted:

I assume it to be the case because Obama has spent the last two years antagonizing and generally having a dont-give-a-gently caress attitude towards the GOP's obstruction so nominating a younger more leftist person would make more sense - however, nominating a moderate and still having the GOP stonewall makes for a much better election-year story.

I mean at least theoretically, except the media totally forgot about this unprecedented obstruction in about 1 week.