Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

the_steve posted:

I saw this making a few rounds on Facebook, this seemed like the right thread to share it in.

"For the conspiracy theorist that say it can't be done."

https://www.facebook.com/robert.buckles.1/videos/10154880481564240/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I figured it out.
They used 8848 instead of 8448.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

e_angst posted:

Eric S. Raymond actually wrote a whole essay in early 2002 about how 9/11 could have been stopped if we let passengers carry guns on planes. His main point of evidence that this would work was fact that there was never a hijacked plane in Israel (he seemed to believe that Israel let people carry guns on planes, when of course they actually have some of the most strict airport controls in the world).

He really went off the deep end after failing to destroy Jem and the Holograms.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think the person who posted this noticed the Star of David pattern added to the dresses but it's still creepy how understated the antisemitism is.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

What cracks me up is that this gets posted by the same people who turn around, get onto Freep, and go on about how Muslims have some magic loophole in their religion that lets them violate their rules if it aids them in killing infidels, or something to that effect.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Man, that really does show some ignorance. Yes, the regular fertilizer you buy for your garden is exactly the same as the kind used in bombs.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Man, that really does show some ignorance. Yes, the regular fertilizer you buy for your garden is exactly the same as the kind used in bombs.

Brb gonna buy a tank of co2 and mass suffocate a bunch of people in a public place.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

the_steve posted:

What cracks me up is that this gets posted by the same people who turn around, get onto Freep, and go on about how Muslims have some magic loophole in their religion that lets them violate their rules if it aids them in killing infidels, or something to that effect.

The funniest part really is that "don't eat pigs" is an incredibly minor rule that there isn't really any punishment for. It's a guideline more than anything; if you're starving go ahead and chow down! If somebody cooked you dinner and would be offended if you didn't eat it then nom away.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The funniest part really is that "don't eat pigs" is an incredibly minor rule that there isn't really any punishment for. It's a guideline more than anything; if you're starving go ahead and chow down! If somebody cooked you dinner and would be offended if you didn't eat it then nom away.

Only butcher in town is Jewish? Good enough.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
Pack it in Libs, we're shooting off some sick facts around here and you just can't handle it.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008
The audacity to blame a bunch of 6 year olds for not having guns on hand. My god.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Scruff McGruff posted:

Pack it in Libs, we're shooting off some sick facts around here and you just can't handle it.

"Logic and facts don't work with liberal tools."

And that's why evolulation is fake. :smuggo:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

So Democrats are pussies who want to ban all guns yet are responsible for almost all mass shootings in America.

Makes perfect sense.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

TheLoquid posted:

The audacity to blame a bunch of 6 year olds for not having guns on hand. My god.

If those 6 year olds would have acted more aggressively then only a single digit number of them would have died.

Even in their fantasy bullshit stories they still admit somewhere between 1 and 10 people probably would be killed.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Cruel and Unusual posted:

There was a guy who wanted to assassinate Nixon by crashing a plane into the White House. But he got shot after killing the pilots while the plane was still on the tarmac.

And there was the guy who killed himself by crashing a little plane on the White House lawn. This was when Clinton was president.

There was also the guy a few years back who flew his plane into an IRS building. I think he owned the plane, so it wasn't hijacking, but it was a weaponized aircraft post-9/11.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

So I'll be exposed to zero monthly gun violence, provided my governor isn't a shithead who sabotages the system? Sign me up!

quote:

At first I thought this was about that presidential candidate (can't remember who) that cooked bacon by wrapping it around a machine gun barrel. Then I realized it was actually advocating a universal background check to prevent potential terrorists from getting guns.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

"Jews should not be allowed to buy firearms."

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Jurgan posted:

So I'll be exposed to zero monthly gun violence, provided my governor isn't a shithead who sabotages the system? Sign me up!

At first I thought this was about that presidential candidate (can't remember who) that cooked bacon by wrapping it around a machine gun barrel. Then I realized it was actually advocating a universal background check to prevent potential terrorists from getting guns.

And he called it "machine gun bacon" even though he didn't use an actual machine gun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt898JHPqro

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Edminster posted:

"Jews should not be allowed to buy firearms."

And that despite all his buddy Steven Spielberg did for him!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ughhhhhhh I am so tired of being "educated" about the meaning of semi-automatic, muzzle velocity etcetera every time somebody goes and shoots a few dozen people. Gun nerds have no sense of taste.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"Jesus, kid, what?"

Grimey Drawer

Forceholy posted:

So Democrats are pussies who want to ban all guns yet are responsible for almost all mass shootings in America.

Makes perfect sense.

They're using "democrats"as shorthand for "black people" and "black people" = gang violence.

This also doesn't stop them from making macros about how every mass shooter was a Democrat, even the ones who weren't eligible to vote (cho) and ones who shot a Democrat congresswoman (lighter)

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Scruff McGruff posted:

There was armed security at Pulse, I thought.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Moxie posted:

There was armed security at Pulse, I thought.

And columbine. I'm betting Fort Hood had quite a few armed MPs?

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Ever since Pulse, the conspiracy theorists are coming out of the woodwork for anything and everything.

I decided to explain this poo poo myself. Turns out, Bitter Almonds look similar enough to confuse them with Sweet Almonds and contain a shitload of cyanide to the point where a fatal dose of cyanide to a child would be 5 to 10 almonds.

Hmm, why would the evil government want to hide this magical secret from us?! Apparently this wraps around the whole "LAETRILE KILLS CANCER!" conspiracy theory as well (the FDA also banned that because of severe cyanide toxicity). Everything is a loving conspiracy theory.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
It doesn't even make sense, why would the government block a magical cure for cancer? What would they gain?

But these people work off the operating premise of "government bad therefore...." So they don't need a reason.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

It doesn't even make sense, why would the government block a magical cure for cancer? What would they gain?

But these people work off the operating premise of "government bad therefore...." So they don't need a reason.

It's usually something about the current treatments for cancer being so profitable that having a cure would cost the pharma industry millions, and of course the government is in the pocket of that industry. Which is conveniently ignoring that the first pharma company to develop and sell a simple and reliable cure for cancer would make approximately infinity dollars off of it.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
To be fair, cyanide does eventually cure all diseases.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty

RagnarokAngel posted:

I don't see the logic in it, really. Sure, there's the tired old "big pharma" chestnut, but the broad social and economic cost of cancer, on a national level, has got to be some sort of order of magnitude more costly than a loss of profits from cancer treatments.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

robotsinmyhead posted:

I don't see the logic in it, really. Sure, there's the tired old "big pharma" chestnut, but the broad social and economic cost of cancer, on a national level, has got to be some sort of order of magnitude more costly than a loss of profits from cancer treatments.

Also everyone involved never has relatives die of cancer.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wild Bill Hickock might have something to say about this.

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

It'll be a cold day in hell before I sell a gun to a vegetarian!

Isn't this literally the opposite of the truth?

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I've been looking for a side-project to work on to learn some new technologies. Also, I love this thread. Would a website like this be interesting (also, does it already exist?)

1. You upload a political meme to the site.
2. You tag that meme with the arguments that it's trying to make.
3. You then tag those arguments with reasons why they're bullshit.

Eventually there would be a library built up of attempted-arguments along with rebuttals already associated so eventually it would be as simple as upload picture, pick the argument it was trying to make, and have instant rebuttals.

Probably have a way of generating an anti-meme image that contains the original with a summary of why it's dumb.

Build in a way of voting on the best rebuttals. Eventually an image-search to find duplicates if you try to upload one that already exists.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tritanomalicious posted:

Isn't this literally the opposite of the truth?

The real wild west was boring as gently caress and you could count the death count of a year on one hand in many places.

These people confuse movies for real life, a fitting tribute to Reagan I suppose.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Besides the fact that the Wild West as it is portrayed is bullshit.

Has no one ever seen a Western? The entire movies are about people getting shot! :argh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

robotsinmyhead posted:

No see the pharma companies don't actually want to cure people they want to keep them sick as long as possible which is why they prefer chemo to a simple cure for cancer. That's always how they work, name one disease that has been cured?

Smallpox?
No that was a kindly old English doctor and independent study outside of the establishment and he single handedly led the worldwide eradication program.

Cholera and typhoid? Hookworm and whipworm?
Those went away because of sanitation so we don't need to cure them anymore. The cures were only released because there was no profit in them anymore.

Anything treatable by antibiotics?
Penicillin was discovered by accident by Fleming, an independent minded researcher. All modern antibiotics just make you sick and create superbugs so they have new customers in the future.

Polio? Hep A and B in the western world?
Those aren't actually curable once you have them, we just got better at preventing them.

So you're admitting that vaccines are a good thing?
No through other ways because the Western world has the processed food microwave radiation that causes disease even though disease rates have gone down because sanitation good even though pasteurization bad because of the raw milk *rolls around in own contradictions* :shrek:

I believe that's how it normally goes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

The real wild west was boring as gently caress and you could count the death count of a year on one hand in many places.

Wasn't this because they didn't consider the deaths of non-whites worth counting?
I remember reading they didn't even count the deaths of irish people for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

I believe that's how it normally goes.

And then they go on about a fruit from some third world country or a starvation diet that can cure super AIDS.