Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

SneakyFrog posted:

should have seen that one coming
Well, yeah, look at all the smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Un chien andalou posted:

Congratulations on being a sociopath!

I don't know, I feel like the 22hz one is just asking for trouble. The other stuff is obnoxious and would put me on the border between amused and angry, depending on how long the stoplight was, but 22 strobes a second is not cool for sitting in traffic. And if it's as bright as it looks, I would feel slightly justified in knocking out his taillights.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I spent about $100 on sequential tail lights because they are a cool and good thing, even though its something that I will never see myself.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Memento posted:

What problem are they solving?

Looking neat/being different

Memento posted:

How much will they cost to fix when they inevitably break?

Who cares? Not your car, not your problem, let the owner figure it out

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

The Door Frame posted:

I would feel slightly justified in knocking out his taillights.

Yeah, that makes you a sociopath.

A brief walk around of the car he made to sell it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cyCSqbS3Rs. He goes over some of the other things he did to the car in the comments.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 14, 2016

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The rest of the car is neat, I guess, but I still maintain the taillights are a hazard at night. Maybe he keeps them subdued on the road, but most people don't make flashy (:v:) mods like that to not show them off.

And since my earlier hyperbole was taken at face value let me excessively literal: I do not like them and I think they are bad. Boy, what a good boring post, on this comedy website.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's an irrational hatred, I know, but I just imagine the really bright 22hz flashes at 11PM, right in my face and it reminds me of the poorly aligned HID headlights that are aimed directly at my rearview mirror, but flashing 22 times a second...

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Demo mode ran at 90% on the PWM IIRC and normal driving was something like 50% or 60%. I think when the running lights were on the brake lamp output was less because he assumed it would be darker out.

Edit: http://rcaz.com/rcaz/sub%20indexes/led_tail_gallery/index.html

Some of the build photos and testing. The more in-depth stuff is posted on hidplanet.com.

th vwls hv scpd fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 14, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

You can't do that!

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Demo mode ran at 90% on the PWM IIRC and normal driving was something like 50% or 60%. I think when the running lights were on the brake lamp output was less because he assumed it would be darker out.

Edit: http://rcaz.com/rcaz/sub%20indexes/led_tail_gallery/index.html

Some of the build photos and testing. The more in-depth stuff is posted on hidplanet.com.

Ah, there's the gallery. Been a few years since I've tried linking to it. Dave was a pretty rad guy. I take it he doesn't post on the old forums any more though.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Geirskogul posted:

You can't do that!

I'm going with wrong thread on this, sorry.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Ah, there's the gallery. Been a few years since I've tried linking to it. Dave was a pretty rad guy. I take it he doesn't post on the old forums any more though.

Nope. He sold the car and the rest of his DSM stuff. He said he missed the Circuits he had years ago. They were his true passion.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's supposed to be a car that's a truck. Not a truck that's a truck

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Nope. He sold the car and the rest of his DSM stuff. He said he missed the Circuits he had years ago. They were his true passion.

Yeah, I guess he's into big block Corvairs now. His YouTube is only sporadically updated.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

You can't do that!

Wrong thread.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah I'm gonna have to agree that it's dumb. If you're going to take a car and lift it and turn it into a truck then you could have just bought a truck to begin with. Now the bed is also unusably high.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Throatwarbler posted:

yeah I'm gonna have to agree that it's dumb. If you're going to take a car and lift it and turn it into a truck then you could have just bought a truck to begin with. Now the bed is also unusably high.

Really doesn't look much higher than the usual Dodge 1500 4x4

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

BlackMK4 posted:

Really doesn't look much higher than the usual Dodge 1500 4x4

Yes that's the point. The original El Camino/Ranchero was a car that also happened to have a bed in the back but since it was a car the bed was at the typical height that a car's trunk would be and that's why it was cool. Now its' kind of ruined.

If you wanted an actual truck you could buy an actual truck.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Memento posted:

Well I'll defer to the wisdom of the thread, I'm clearly in the minority here. I just can't see them as anything except for ostentation for its own sake. What problem are they solving? How much will they cost to fix when they inevitably break?

IIRC there is some science behind it in that it activates more of the parts of our brains that sense motion than a simple blinking light does. I can't seem to find where I read that though.

Dr. Klenk
May 24, 2016

8ender posted:

IIRC there is some science behind it in that it activates more of the parts of our brains that sense motion than a simple blinking light does. I can't seem to find where I read that though.

That's the idea behind it, see https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/press-releases/highly-effective-new-turn-signal-light-in-the-audi-a8-759

Not sure if it's real science though or just some internal studies they made at AUDI. I wonder though, if I recall correctly here in Germany sequential indicators used to be illegal, so US imports had to be modified (e.g. Mustangs) to comply with German regulations. Not sure if regulations changed or AUDI pulled some tricks to be allowed to use them.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Rancher is cool as gently caress.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Memento posted:

Well I'll defer to the wisdom of the thread, I'm clearly in the minority here. I just can't see them as anything except for ostentation for its own sake. What problem are they solving? How much will they cost to fix when they inevitably break?

This is how they worked on my old Cougar.

http://www.thuntek.net/cougars_unlimited/seqts.htm

for troubleshooting and a basic overview

http://classiccougarcommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/1967_Cougar_Sequential_Turn_Signal_System_Troubleshooting_Guide.pdf

for everything you ever wanted to know.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

88h88 posted:

That Rancher is cool as gently caress.

Ayup.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

quote:

Visitors to many popular car, sports and tech websites including VWVortex, The Truth About Cars, Pirate 4x4, Focus Fanatics, EvoXForums, and AutoGuide should change their passwords ASAP, reports ZDNet. 45 million accounts hosted on VerticalScope’s 1,100 sites have been compromised by hackers.

http://jalopnik.com/45-million-accounts-hacked-at-some-of-the-biggest-car-f-1782030203

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 15, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Posted on a local FB group.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
The frame of the site office (?) has already broken in the rear :allears:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Top Gear Production Office has seen better days.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

"No Rice"

-insert lie detector test meme here-

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

An appropriate warning.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The license plate lies.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

No safety chain
No lights
No trailer brakes
No...license plate?

:jerry:
:catstare:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

None of that will matter after the apocalypse except maybe the chain that is sound advice.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it's terrible for me so that's good enough. This is my very first car, Suzi:

A 93 Isuzu Amigo and an aboslute piece of poo poo. This thing never worked for me. I couldn't even drive it for the first few years I owned it because it never idled right. Add to that it was a stick shift and I barely knew how to go forward, let alone how to juggle gas and clutch, and this thing was barely "my" car- my family drove it more than me. Every time I tried to drive it or learn to drive it, it poo poo the bed and sat for a few months.

I never even got to take it to a car wash, now that I think about it :(.

gently caress it, this has been a lawn gnome long enough. I'm tired of having a piece of poo poo in my driveway mocking me. I've put everything into this, and it's given me nothing back. I even tried selling it as a parts car and it hosed that up. Fine, Suzi, you don't want to go to a good home? You'll go to a bad home.

Towing it onto the bed was farther than it's driven in the past year.

And gently caress you, stupid car, I'm keeping those tires.

I loved this car, more than I should have. I put everything I had into getting it on the road for years, but it never wanted to leave the driveway. Good riddance, you stubborn mule.

...I'll probably buy another in a few years when I have the disposable income. I've learned nothing.

edit: VVVVV not for lack of trying. I can't keep dumping hundreds and thousands of dollars into a car due to sentiment (well, I can and did, this is where it's gotten me). I've put way too much money in it at this point. At some point you have to cut your losses.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 16, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Terrible car stuff because you scrapped it instead of fixing it. :'(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

As Nero Danced posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but it's terrible for me so that's good enough. This is my very first car, Suzi:

A 93 Isuzu Amigo and an aboslute piece of poo poo. This thing never worked for me. I couldn't even drive it for the first few years I owned it because it never idled right. Add to that it was a stick shift and I barely knew how to go forward, let alone how to juggle gas and clutch, and this thing was barely "my" car- my family drove it more than me. Every time I tried to drive it or learn to drive it, it poo poo the bed and sat for a few months.

I never even got to take it to a car wash, now that I think about it :(.

gently caress it, this has been a lawn gnome long enough. I'm tired of having a piece of poo poo in my driveway mocking me. I've put everything into this, and it's given me nothing back. I even tried selling it as a parts car and it hosed that up. Fine, Suzi, you don't want to go to a good home? You'll go to a bad home.

Towing it onto the bed was farther than it's driven in the past year.

And gently caress you, stupid car, I'm keeping those tires.

I loved this car, more than I should have. I put everything I had into getting it on the road for years, but it never wanted to leave the driveway. Good riddance, you stubborn mule.

...I'll probably buy another in a few years when I have the disposable income. I've learned nothing.

edit: VVVVV not for lack of trying. I can't keep dumping hundreds and thousands of dollars into a car due to sentiment (well, I can and did, this is where it's gotten me). I've put way too much money in it at this point. At some point you have to cut your losses.

You should've re-engined it and saved it :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The styling on that thing is fantastic and I would drive the poo poo out of one if it were mine. Hopefully through every puddle I could find.

But I've always had a thing for the brat too so maybe it's just me.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

xzzy posted:

The styling on that thing is fantastic and I would drive the poo poo out of one if it were mine. Hopefully through every puddle I could find.

But I've always had a thing for the brat too so maybe it's just me.

Definitely not just you, box arches on cars are the hotness and they look so good on that.

If I were anywhere near you I would've had that off you, fixed it up and found all the puddles.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Ranchero truck loving owns.

It's finally reached it's full potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My family owned two of those things. Dreadful trucks.