Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Forest was boring though. Being boring is an unforgivable crime for sci-fi media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Forest got to me because I hate seeing kids in distress, so Maebh and her sister got to me. The meds thing is just the awful icing on the cake for me. Not one I ever plan on rewatching.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Forest is just the perfect storm of the worst loving thing ever made by human hands.

The entire thing is just boring, over doing it on the whimsy, abandons all pretense of being at all what so ever interesting, reveals Clara to be an awful stupid terrible human being who deserved to die like a moron, paints the Doctor as a total and complete idiot, and forces upon us child actor after child actor that is no doubt the source of the up coming spin off bullshit.

That's before you get to the medicine is evil subplot and my personal favorite, the only thing in the episode that pissed me off almost as much-

The sheer idea that the worlds governments were going to douse the ENTIRE PLANET with defoliant agents.

I'll make this clear here and now, I am biased on this. My grandfather died due to cancer from Agent Orange, which for some unfuckingbelievable reason STILL isn't actually illegal, so seeing it be brought up as a plot point so casually and carelessly is one of the most infuriating things in the world to me.

The other most infuriating thing in the world to me about that specific plot point? No one brings up the actual reason why it's the shittiest idea anyone ever had. They just go on about how the trees need to stop the solar flare with hippy jizz and sunshine and whatever loving bullshit but defoliant agents, even the super strong stuff like Agent Orange, they don't insta kill trees.

No, they do something else.

See

Okay here's the thing. You know what happens when you spray defoliant agents across populated areas? Expose people to them?

I'm going to hide this behind spoilers so this is a big loving warning, Do Not Hover Over This If You Do Not Want To See What Happens

And that's not touching the birth defects that happen- Those I WON'T share. The idea that even for a second ANY GOVERNMENT ON EARTH was planning to let loose with that poo poo on the cities of the world is offensive to the very idea of good taste and common sense.

You might say, well, they didn't think about that

They drat well should have if they were going to make it a loving PLOT POINT AND THEN NOT BRING UP THE REAL REASON WHY IT IS A TERRIBLE IDEA.

gently caress Forest of the Night.

It may not have the raw racism of Zygons or the raw utter incompetence and confused stupidity of Moon, but God drat does it hold its loving own.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have mixed feelings about Matt Lucas as a regular character. On the one hand, I like Matt Lucas, but on the other, I thought his character was pretty annoying.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The thing that really gets to me about Forest is that the "solution" feels like a sideways look at the set-up for a creepy Moffat episode - one day a worldwide threat emerges to the earth and just before the leaders of the world can do anything about it they ALL get a phonecall simultaneously and hear a little girl's voice say,"Don't do anything, just step back and take no action, there is no need to panic :)"

That's loving terrifying.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Burkion posted:

Forest is just the perfect storm of the worst loving thing ever made by human hands.

That might just be a tad extreme...

Jerusalem posted:

The thing that really gets to me about Forest is that the "solution" feels like a sideways look at the set-up for a creepy Moffat episode - one day a worldwide threat emerges to the earth and just before the leaders of the world can do anything about it they ALL get a phonecall simultaneously and hear a little girl's voice say,"Don't do anything, just step back and take no action, there is no need to panic :)"

That's loving terrifying.

You know what, I hadn't considered that. That makes it more interesting.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure if it's even the worst Moffet Era episode.
Though it might be the one that encompasses a lot of flaws in lower bad weekly moffet era episodes, just having one whimsical thing happen for stupid reasons and then lots of stupid drama happens, idk.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Forest was boring though. Being boring is an unforgivable crime for sci-fi media.

That's the main problem I have with it; didn't help I was expecting "primaeval forest transplanted to modern day via time-fuckery" rather than "Magic tree faeries and Gaia theory bullshit" either. I would say mawkishness also, but that's a staple of the Moffat era really.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 15, 2016

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I had honestly purged that episode from my memory. I was following the discussion and going "when the poo poo was this?" and it wasn't until the solar flares and worldwide forest fairy poo poo posts on this page that I even remembered watching it.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
Gotham must be cancelled immediately!

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-06-14/jon-pertwees-son-sean-reveals-he-was-asked-to-be-in-last-years-doctor-who

quote:

Speaking to RadioTimes.com about whether he’d ever be in the series himself, he said: “I’d love to, I’d love to.
“I’ve been asked before – I was asked actually last season. I couldn’t do it because of Gotham. I’d love to be in some capacity be involved, as an ode to my father and to Roger Delgado, who was my dad’s best friend, who was the Master.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

whatsabattle posted:

Gotham must be cancelled immediately!

That's been true since the first episode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I had honestly purged that episode from my memory. I was following the discussion and going "when the poo poo was this?" and it wasn't until the solar flares and worldwide forest fairy poo poo posts on this page that I even remembered watching it.

Ya you goons are really making me want to rewatch In the Forest of the Night. Mostly just to see if there were some redeeming qualities about it that I subconsciously focused on that prevented me from hating it as much as the rest of you.

That Agent Orange poo poo though? Wow. I don't blame anybody for disliking it due to that issue alone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

AndyElusive posted:

Ya you goons are really making me want to rewatch In the Forest of the Night. Mostly just to see if there were some redeeming qualities about it that I subconsciously focused on that prevented me from hating it as much as the rest of you.

That Agent Orange poo poo though? Wow. I don't blame anybody for disliking it due to that issue alone.

When I first watched it I wasn't anywhere near as negative on it as I am now. My dislike for it grew over time the more I thought about it, and when I rewatched it a little later it was actually worse than I remembered :smith:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I like the part where Clara chooses to kill a couple dozen children.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Just a little different from Donna's "just save someone" speech, huh?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Hey if the kids really really really really really really really do need their parents to live and not be sad and thus die, how about we go grab their parents in our teleporting time machine that has nothing holding it back this episode

no let the kids die okay then I guess it would be too much :effort: to save them never mind

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Aw, come on thread! Don’t be sour! We’re getting more Adric!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-adric-arrives-in-the-main-range

Don’t they just all look so happy together?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

Maybe he'll finally learn if he was right :v:.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Look at Davison's face, hahaha :allears:

"He was dead. I was happy. We were all happy :cripes:"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Matthew is probably inadvertently working with the villain (Joseph Lidster) to mess with Peter...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

I like how the door behind them is TARDIS blue.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CobiWann posted:

At least British Wil Wheaton hasn't grown an awful beard

But just :laffo: at Peter's expression

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Something literally nobody asked for. :/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Astroman posted:

Something literally nobody asked for. :/

"Iterations of I" was awesome, so yeah, I was asking for more from that team

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Davros1 posted:

"Iterations of I" was awesome, so yeah, I was asking for more from that team

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So I just rewatched In the Forest of the Night and geeze you guys, it wasn't as awful as the lot of you were making it out to be.

I smirked when 12 says to Clara that he hopes he was right about the trees protecting the Earth from the coronal ejection because it would be awkward if it got destroyed.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

Why are you all trying to make me remember The Boy That Time Forgot? :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I haven't heard that one yet but I'm only 3 audios away from it :ohdear:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

Seriously, just skip it. It's not worth your time or money.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I didn't mind it. It clearly gives no shits about nostalgia, but it's pretty fun. If you like Doctor Who at its most silly and irreverent, then it's probably up your alley.

I really like Paul Magr's work in general though, even though I know his work can be pretty divisive at times (e.g. The Blue Angel, Verdigris)

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

CommonShore posted:

I had honestly purged that episode from my memory.

How ironic.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

So I just rewatched In the Forest of the Night and geeze you guys, it wasn't as awful as the lot of you were making it out to be.

I smirked when 12 says to Clara that he hopes he was right about the trees protecting the Earth from the coronal ejection because it would be awkward if it got destroyed.

Yeah exactly, it's fine. I mean it's an episode of Dr Who so it can't be bad now, can it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Seriously, just skip it. It's not worth your time or money.

I already own it, and I'm a big believer in at least giving a story a chance to stand on its own merits, especially since opinions so often vary in this thread (people are currently kinda defending Forest of the Night!).

That said, I won't be at all surprised if it turns out to be terrible v:shobon:v

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

BSam posted:

Yeah exactly, it's fine. I mean it's an episode of Dr Who so it can't be bad now, can it?

Here's something everyone can disagree with!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Is... is he tweeting in character?

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
That might require basic acting skills, so I'm doubtful.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Matthew Waterhouse has always been an Adric method actor

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Matthew Waterhouse has always been an Adric method actor

How is he still alive then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thought more about the plot and story details of Forest of the Night today and about the implications of what it showed and ya, all things considered that was actually a pretty lovely episode.

• Locked thread