Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Daaaamn that Atlas is deadly. Grats to Duncan "Starkiller" Kalma. It's incredible that goon company is only at 1 downed and 1 doomed mechs after this ridiculous slaughter.

Things are still pretty drat hairy but getting 4.5 enemies out of the mix all at once gives a lot of breathing room for a more orderly exit. There is still another boom doggie in reserve as well, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
The best part is that calling him "Starkiller" is actually a short sell.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think the lancelot is probably ok this turn, but if he can't get the infantry off this coming turn he's probably boned. This assumes that PTN's dice don't thirst for his blood, but that's out of our hands.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

"'Starkiller?' Is that literal?"
"Well, if you're talking about the first minute, sure." :clint:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

He'll kill you 5 times before you hit the ground.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Keru posted:

There's going to be nightmares about Dadlas for a lot of clanners after today. Jesus.

This presumes that any of the Clanners get off Andurien alive, which given how badly they've gotten their teeth kicked in so far is by no means guaranteed.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Has Gooncompany mission killed a trinary at this point? Not even taking into account how many points of infantry they've taken out so far.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Despite having his assault star mauled in just one round, Ath is still bored.

Leo the unfortunate pirahna pilot however, is suitably surprised. The "mood" box really adds a lot of fun to this.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Has Gooncompany mission killed a trinary at this point? Not even taking into account how many points of infantry they've taken out so far.

17 mechs total, so actually more. We'll probably get 2-3 more before we extract fully, so our exchange is looking like most of a Galaxy in exchange for less than a lance of mechs and a couple of doggies.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Lancelot can try to sweep the infantry off in the physical phase, if other mechs shoot at him (enemy ones) they can hit the infantry, would running into a hurricane hex work? the storm might pull the infantry off and murder them.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Tempest_56 posted:

17 mechs total, so actually more. We'll probably get 2-3 more before we extract fully, so our exchange is looking like most of a Galaxy in exchange for less than a lance of mechs and a couple of doggies.

I expect you mean Cluster, but it's still quite a bit short of that, unfortunately.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

AtomikKrab posted:

Lancelot can try to sweep the infantry off in the physical phase, if other mechs shoot at him (enemy ones) they can hit the infantry, would running into a hurricane hex work? the storm might pull the infantry off and murder them.

Yeah, the tornado is like a Mech Carwash for mechs infested with squishies.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

So I went back and did a quick check. Over the course of this mission Duncan has killed:
Anhur
Vandal
Urbie IIC
Peregrine
Copperhead Alpha
Unknown Mech D
Goshawk II 2
Nidhogg Delta
Solitaire

In addition to blowing half the Wolverine IIC off and putting damage into other mechs. Assuming he gets a mech on his parting shots this coming turn he'd be at 10 kills for this turn counting the two grounded planes.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Picard Day posted:

Daaaamn that Atlas is deadly. Grats to Duncan "Starkiller" Kalma. It's incredible that goon company is only at 1 downed and 1 doomed mechs after this ridiculous slaughter.

Things are still pretty drat hairy but getting 4.5 enemies out of the mix all at once gives a lot of breathing room for a more orderly exit. There is still another boom doggie in reserve as well, right?

Totally getting an upgrade to his shootin' skill if he survives this mission. And probably something involving being super good at firing weapons unbraced.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

The Merry Marauder posted:

I expect you mean Cluster, but it's still quite a bit short of that, unfortunately.

The latest wave of enemy reinforcements brings their total up to small cluster status, so there's still a chance if we keep up these dice rolls.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

PoptartsNinja posted:

I think I've got the TMM wrong for the Screamer though, it's likely +4--I just can't think of any canon `Mechs with more than 8 jump.

Griffon 9L (or is it 9R, the IJJ + snubby one) is a 9 jumper. There's an Ostscout and several Spider models that hit 10. That's as bad as it gets in canon.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
In Duncan Kalma, I believe we have found somebody finer than Caesar Steiner

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I like to think that Duncan's special maneuver for falling over firing the HGR is basically a TSM boosted pimp strut for his movement phase, so the swagger in the step actually balances out the recoil.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Cluster, yes, my bad. But not that far off - your standard Cluster is five binaries/trinaries, with some of those being Elementals and ASFs. So your average Cluster is only going to be sporting 30-45 mechs; we walk out with 20 kills, that's 44-66% of their force size. For how minuscule of a loss we've taken so far, that's an insane exchange rate. Rationally, we could trade half the company for that many kills and it would still be considered a stunning victory.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pattonesque posted:

Let's not get too hasty, here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Next mission: beat RWA recruiters off you with a stick heavy gauss rifle.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Hahaha, Dadlas is having none of that Solitaire's poo poo. Fuckin' :rip:

God help the rest of the Inner Sphere if the NRWR turns hostile. An endless horde of boomdoggies.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Tempest_56 posted:

Cluster, yes, my bad. But not that far off - your standard Cluster is five binaries/trinaries, with some of those being Elementals and ASFs. So your average Cluster is only going to be sporting 30-45 mechs; we walk out with 20 kills, that's 44-66% of their force size. For how minuscule of a loss we've taken so far, that's an insane exchange rate. Rationally, we could trade half the company for that many kills and it would still be considered a stunning victory.

Well. Force sizes don't tell you everything.

We're attacking rear-guard clanners, in a surprise attack, in which they trickled onto the field for the first couple minutes while the entire merc force was present from the beginning. Also we're counting parked aerospace as kills. And there's a hurricane.

It's still a major victory if most of the mercs get out alive, but I wouldn't call it "stunning" and probably neither will the clan leadership, who stuck these mechwarriors on rearguard duty as punishment for being bad/old/green/whatever in the first place.

Furious? Yes, absolutely (but when aren't they furious). But nobody should be surprised the clans lost this engagement given the tremendous disadvantage they were fighting from.

e. Stunning is whatever's going to happen to their starship, since the players succeeded at their primary goal.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

e. Stunning is whatever's going to happen to their starship, since the players succeeded at their primary goal.

I'm so hype for this

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

My bet is on Rattlers being what happens to the McKenna.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The latest wave of enemy reinforcements brings their total up to small cluster status, so there's still a chance if we keep up these dice rolls.

How many mechs in a cluster again? I keep forgetting. Smallest cluster is just three binaries, which are two stars each, so 5 mechs per star x2 stars x3 binaries means 30 mechs, right? Or is my math off? That's still more than half of one, all by a enlarged Company of mechs. Duncan might be responsible for just under half of them and crippling damage to another, and the boom doggie is responsible for another 2, and another Revenant for crippling another, but that seems like a very good exchange here.

Picard Day posted:

Voyager I posted:

apostateCourier posted:

"'Starkiller?' Is that literal?"
"Well, if you're talking about the first minute, sure." :clint:
And yes, Duncan will be legend amongst the Clans and the NRWR after this mission, not to mention all the drinks he's gonna be getting back at base... 7 mech kills ain't nothing to laugh about, and those two fighters makes for another point, so that's what, 8 points he's taken out? Reckon another 2 mech kills for a full two Stars attributed to him if the fighters count, 3 if they don't (though he should get credit for a half based off of crippling the Wolverine IIC, but I dunno if he can count that). That Red Atlas and skull of the Demon is gonna have tons of Clan warriors throwing themselves at it whenever it next shows up for the glory and honor of trying to kill it, but likely only adding to Duncan's kill count. He's definitely getting a skill boost to his Gunnery after this mission, I would think.

Nice job by the boom doggie taking out two mechs from the Assault Star, including the Star Captain, but Ath and his Hellstar is still there. The other doggie blowing up half of the Blood Kite is welcome too, as is that one shot of the Solitaire and coring the Piranha by Duncan and Jason respectively. The commanders of the Demon Hawks, getting poo poo done! Good thing you removed the former from the board, everyone was so scared of it and the Star Colonel piloting because of its damage potential, but it was neatly neutered. The crit seekers in the remaining Piranha and the other lights in that Star are gonna be a problem as you guys start to withdraw, I think.

Shame about the Lancelot being swarmed, but you should be able to get out of it ok. Nice job eliminating the rest of the Jump Infantry, though after the shooting last turn they weren't much of a threat anymore, though they could still block your exit. Now get your downed guy and get ready to get out at best possible speed. Coordinate some sort of rearguard action too, since you know those enemy mechs are gonna be all up in your grill as you try and get out. Bad luck with the crits on the Copperhead, looks like she'll need some shepherding towards the exit tunnel...

Man, PTN's dice have really been on GoonMercenary Company's side this turn, haven't they. Guess we really were due a run of good luck based off of how they previously treated you guys and other goons...

Pattonesque posted:

Night10194 posted:

Let's not get too hasty, here.
Duncan vs Caesar in a future mission, with Thomas Hogarth filming everything?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 16, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Duncan is probably getting a boost to his piloting skill too, after making all those running HGR shots without falling over once.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
Haha, I forgot that the Solitaire was the Star Colonel. Boy is his face going to be red.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

GhostStalker posted:

How many mechs in a cluster again? I keep forgetting. Smallest cluster is just three binaries, which are two stars each, so 5 mechs per star x2 stars x3 binaries means 30 mechs, right? Or is my math off? That's still more than half of one, all by a enlarged Company of mechs. Duncan might be responsible for just under half of them and crippling damage to another, and the boom doggie is responsible for another 2, and another Revenant for crippling another, but that seems like a very good exchange here.

In a surprise attack by an elite force against an enemy garrison fed in piecemeal, anything less would be disappointing.

Your math is somewhat slanted, but in any event, if this is a PGC or the like, its fate is nearly irrelevant - the strategic intent of this raid was to force the Clanners to reassign line units to strengthen rear-echelon garrisons.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

In a surprise attack by an elite force against an enemy garrison fed in piecemeal, anything less would be disappointing.

Your math is somewhat slanted, but in any event, if this is a PGC or the like, its fate is nearly irrelevant - the strategic intent of this raid was to force the Clanners to reassign line units to strengthen rear-echelon garrisons.

I'd say we've both done that and crippled this particular garrison. Especially since about a battalion of dogs is now roving around causing trouble when we get out.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

An attack that accomplishes all its objectives for (knock on wood) little or no loss is an excellent attack regardless of the odds.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Copperhead's fine. I hosed up and miscounted hexes, and I'm too tired (and sick of making mistakes) to figure out if any of the hits it took were legitimate, so it took no hits. :confuoot:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PoptartsNinja posted:

Copperhead's fine. I hosed up and miscounted hexes, and I'm too tired (and sick of making mistakes) to figure out if any of the hits it took were legitimate, so it took no hits. :confuoot:

You are doing an amazing job with this scenario. Don't sweat it.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Which if one Inner Sphere mercenary can blow away over a Star of their garrison troops seems like mission loving accomplished unless somehow the Hawks get utterly destroyed without getting even a majority of their people out. Kind of impossible not to spin things as "second line troops can't get it done" by Clan logic. Though I expect it can't go all Amaris's way much longer, the Clans will start acting and not just reacting to the new tactics they're being hit with. Nothing else I expect them to try some sort of response to the boom doggies besides letting their assault mechs take them to the face.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Wow, that changes things considerably given it was pretty much a dead mech walking. Hopefully Jason's trophy makes it out just fine given how amazing the shot that captured it last mission was.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

This latest trend of Allied MVPs receiving the award posthumously has to stop though :shrek:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Nothing else I expect them to try some sort of response to the boom doggies besides letting their assault mechs take them to the face.

Then watch Amaris start fitting the boom doggies with nullsig/stealth armor/voidsig :ninja:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Copperhead, as piloted by the ghost of Morgan Kell. And he's not even dead yet!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Well. Force sizes don't tell you everything.

We're attacking rear-guard clanners, in a surprise attack, in which they trickled onto the field for the first couple minutes while the entire merc force was present from the beginning. Also we're counting parked aerospace as kills. And there's a hurricane.

It's still a major victory if most of the mercs get out alive, but I wouldn't call it "stunning" and probably neither will the clan leadership, who stuck these mechwarriors on rearguard duty as punishment for being bad/old/green/whatever in the first place.

Furious? Yes, absolutely (but when aren't they furious). But nobody should be surprised the clans lost this engagement given the tremendous disadvantage they were fighting from.

I don't agree. Even though, yes, a good portion of the mechs we're fighting are a PGC, it's still a huge loss for what amounts to a minor lightning raid. The biggest weakness of the Clans (strategically) has always been that they're just not THAT large - most Clans are only going to be packing around 20 Clusters in their entire touman; the biggest we know if canonically is the Jags, who fielded about 60 spread out across both the Invasion Zone and the homeworlds. Worst case we're talking about the loss of half a Cluster to a small force that's taken nearly no losses doing it. Losing 2.5% of your galaxy-wide forces in exchange for basically nothing is painful.

quote:

This, however, I entirely agree on. What happens to that McKenna is going to have massive impact, most likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014
~Phantom Mech Ability Activated~

Thank you for your generosity Poptarts! :allears:

• Locked thread