Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dipple
Oct 22, 2008
novelupdates really oughta hide the r18 and maybe even r15 crap by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

dipple posted:

novelupdates really oughta hide the r18 and maybe even r15 crap by default

Er, even Bookworm is R15.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

darkgray posted:

Er, even Bookworm is R15.

Hmmm sounds like I need to pick it back up

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

At Divine Wind Continent, there is cultivation system—douqi and magic.
Ren Tian You was a fan of Naruto, single carelessness caused him to arrive in different world.
Unexpectedly only to discover within his body possessed Naruto system.
What? You will use douqi! I, your father’s body technique is also not weak! Look at my shadow clone dance!
What? You will use illusions! I, your father however have every illusions’ ancestor, Sharingan! Look at my Tsukuyomi!
What? You are a magician! I, your father am a ninja! Look at my fire style——– grand fireball!

:stare:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like how it is tagged "naruto system", even

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Might as well post a google translate link to the story with how little effort appears to be put into editing the MTL for readability. But seriously translation groups/people, are we at the point where we need to import fanfiction? Have you ran out of super sexy Harry Potter boy-love fic in your native language?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Silynt posted:

Curing Incurable Disease With Semen

Dude, Sandwich Kingdom is translating that. All they do is silly smut, you really should've known better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that another indication that it might not be good was that it was titled "Curing Incurable Disease With Semen"

Irisize
Sep 30, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

Dude, Sandwich Kingdom is translating that. All they do is silly smut, you really should've known better.

I'm sorry I have not yet reached the point where I know the names of all the groups that have dedicated their time to poorly translating lovely foreign R18 novels.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Irisize posted:

I'm sorry I have not yet reached the point where I know the names of all the groups that have dedicated their time to poorly translating lovely foreign R18 novels.

99% of them are Machine Sliced Bread or Sandwich Kingdom (which is a sister site to the first). Makes it easy to avoid a majority of them.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Honestly you probably should pay attention to that. If I see oniichanyamete is doing something, I automatically give it a go.

And if it's Sandwich Kingdom I snicker and check out the summary of whatever silly poo poo they're doing this time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

BlitzBlast posted:

Honestly you probably should pay attention to that. If I see oniichanyamete is doing something, I automatically give it a go.

Paying attention to TLs you like doesn't mean you have to know all of the bad ones

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
I... just realized that a goodly portion of the JP novels I'm seeing nowadays are unironic interpretations of that "I take out my robe and wizard hat" troll chat that's been floating around forever.

What have I been doing with my life? :wtc:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

gwrtheyrn posted:

Paying attention to TLs you like doesn't mean you have to know all of the bad ones

FriggenJ posted:

99% of them are Machine Sliced Bread or Sandwich Kingdom (which is a sister site to the first). Makes it easy to avoid a majority of them.

It's less "paying attention" and more "oh hey it's those guys again".

This is like being shocked that a playboy magazine is a playboy magazine. You should know them by now if you've been using novelupdates a bunch. And if you don't, well now you do.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FriggenJ posted:

I... just realized that a goodly portion of the JP novels I'm seeing nowadays are unironic interpretations of that "I take out my robe and wizard hat" troll chat that's been floating around forever.

What have I been doing with my life? :wtc:

obviously not taking out your robe and wizard hat

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

BlitzBlast posted:

This is like being shocked that a playboy magazine is a playboy magazine. You should know them by now if you've been using novelupdates a bunch. And if you don't, well now you do.

More like not knowing what's in playboy magazine when you go to the newsstand to buy TIME or something. Sure you can see the cover, but you're sure as hell not opening them.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Reading void domain. Holy poo poo that got loving dark fast.

I was halfway through that chapter before what was happening really sunk in. I might like where the story is going but wow.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Desuwa posted:

Reading void domain. Holy poo poo that got loving dark fast.

I was halfway through that chapter before what was happening really sunk in. I might like where the story is going but wow.

Yeah, I hit that chapter while I was reading what was supposed to be my last chapter before bed. "Oh, a trigger warning? Pssh like I pay attention to th..." :gonk:

Didn't get much sleep that night.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I'm confused about the flow of time in Kumoko. The side stories seem to have had around 10-15 years pass from the beginning until they get into the academy, but has little miss spider been running around in the labyrinth for that long too? The way it is told, it would seem that at most a couple months have passed for her at the same point in the story...

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

nielsm posted:

I'm confused about the flow of time in Kumoko. The side stories seem to have had around 10-15 years pass from the beginning until they get into the academy, but has little miss spider been running around in the labyrinth for that long too? The way it is told, it would seem that at most a couple months have passed for her at the same point in the story...

That's correct. Everything should become clearer around chapter 160 of the main story.

vvvv :woop:

Tamba fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 16, 2016

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Speaking of Kumoko.

The first new raw chapter in 4 months was released today.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wait, the wn is still going? i thought it ended.

also, the nine cauldrons is pretty inoffensive thus far. it started with so much "china is #1" stuff that my eyes just about rolled out of my head, but after the dude reincarnated he hasn't done the murder hobo thing at all. instead, he spent most of his childhood building up his home village and then he got a job.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
plus there are apparently a bunch of guys running around who developed unique martial arts after losing one or more limbs which is pretty rad

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

wait, the wn is still going? i thought it ended.

No, the author just burned out and stopped releasing any new chapters for 3 months

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

quote:

When I gather my thoughts and raise my head, Shiro-san is eating something. If I’m not mistaken, then that appears to be the leg of a huge frog. Shiro-san is expressionlessly stuffing that into her mouth and eating it. Ah, it certainly seems that my understanding of non-humans is lacking.

It's good to be back.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Nine Cauldrons is probably one of the few non-offensive Xianxia style novels that actually shifts closer to Wuxia. There's a lot of sectarian violence and grudges and swearing of vengeance, but outside of that it's just kungfu magic guys doing kungfu things.

As a side note, Emperor's Domination is probably one of the better written Xianxia stories. It really brings in a lot of the Chinese mythology, though the translation is... kinda subpar from what I've glanced at. The character is an rear end in a top hat, but at least he owns up to it. He even states it outright, he is not a good person, just a very determined one.

jwang fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 17, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
A few more chapters of My Disciple Died Yet Again have been translated, and it looks like things are finally starting to get wrapped up.

Oh yeah, and the main character has become a Jedi. :v:

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
One of the best things about My Disciple is that the power levels will never be over-inflated. You get to top tier, and that's it. Most of the fighting is done socially, and the TRUE big bad is something rather surprising. And it's only getting started with how great this story gets.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tales of Demons and Gods: What if, we recycle the "rivals have planned all the bad things and kicked all the puppies" again. The mc has literally more items, resources and manpower than sense at this point and all I can feel is "Sage Emperor, please knock this cocky son of a bitch down a peg or a billion."

After all it's not like Nie Li has any legit reason to fight him other than petty revenge. The Sage Emperor seems only to be an uncaring god who for the most part might as well not exist since the past several hundred chapters have been Nie Lie Mary Sue-ing it up at being the bestest at everything via groundhog time chamber bullshit.

Seriously there is nothing to fear here. Anyone who is a threat isn't a threat for very long or is so far away from the plot they don't currently matter.

It's like the most boring part of a New Game Plus. It is entirely tensionless and therefore a bore.

I'm not seeing any Sisyphus "gently caress you mc that's why", from stories rallying against a god, and I sorely need something to not think that every rival of his deserves to best him considering Nie Li has literally every advantage possible and everyone against him seems to have a very bad case of never noticing any of his bajillion feats ever.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Annointed posted:

I'm not seeing any Sisyphus "gently caress you mc that's why", from stories rallying against a god, and I sorely need something to not think that every rival of his deserves to best him considering Nie Li has literally every advantage possible and everyone against him seems to have a very bad case of never noticing any of his bajillion feats ever.

Honestly, this is such a Xianxia staple that whenever I come across a story where most people actually acknowledge just how loving absurd the MC is, I tend to stick with it. Most Xianxia antagonists are more like roadblocks with bad attitude than anything else. Sure, it's pretty blatant wish fulfillment most of the time, but there's just no reasonable conflict, directly or indirectly, to get invested in. It's all numbers going up with little to no challenge for the MC. Whenever something even remotely negative happens, it gets undone a few chapters later by a new deus ex that puts them ahead of where they were earlier.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

Honestly, this is such a Xianxia staple that whenever I come across a story where most people actually acknowledge just how loving absurd the MC is, I tend to stick with it. Most Xianxia antagonists are more like roadblocks with bad attitude than anything else. Sure, it's pretty blatant wish fulfillment most of the time, but there's just no reasonable conflict, directly or indirectly, to get invested in. It's all numbers going up with little to no challenge for the MC. Whenever something even remotely negative happens, it gets undone a few chapters later by a new deus ex that puts them ahead of where they were earlier.

I thought the Sage Emperor would at least notice a disturbance in the temporal field. Or have a faustian thing occur with the demon spirit temporal book, or have more people question how exactly Nie Li would even be logiistically capable of knowing so many skills that would take many more years of mastery at the age of what 16?

Any problem of trying to get Lu Piao to become an effective leader? Nope. Or anyone at all knowing what a Heavenly technique is? Nope. Or how no one seems to think "hm this guy has a poo poo ton of spiritual stones all of a sudden and all his diety lakes mysteriously disappear, I wonder where they went." Or "how is he able to know all the things he knows?". Nope. How about how no one seems a little cautious in dealing with a guy who at this point has all this feats displayed in front of everyone.

Even in my angsty revenge fic I wrote as a kid I always made it so the enemy would be able to act clever or innovate themselves in the face of a much greater foe. This is the equivalent of knocking down a series of dominoes with an angry face drawn on them. Alot of set up and set aside without much thought.

I swear by the time the author figurs out to make a league of people who are pissed off and burned by Nie Li, he wouldn't have the sense to think "Maybe I should make the big bad more involved in taking down the most competent factor in taking down his rule."

The worst is how any suffering is done by other people, so we don't care, or how none of these people actually suffered in this timeline so of course we don't give a gently caress of any atrocity that happened.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jun 18, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
anyone that might question him, he bribes into loyal henchmen or crushes with his massive, unearned wealth.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004
Saw this in my RSS feeds today: https://englishlightnovels.com/2016/06/18/cross-infinite-world-my-favorite-song-and-the-violet-knight/

Haven't read it yet, naturally, but I'm finding the whole end-around licensing somewhat amusing. Is this a first? Somebody working directly with a web novel writer instead of licensing it from a Japanese company that already got the license to the novel. They're even assisting/financing with editing and cleanup in the native language before translating.

It's shoujo too, which is also pretty rare for licensed light novel stuff. I suspect I'll give it a shot just out of curiosity, but was mostly wondering if anybody else has seen this sort of licensing deal done before.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
In ISSTH news, Meng Hao saw something terrifying in Demon Atlantis and then got back to reality just in time to accidentally a war. He also made a homonculus.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I finally got around to reading mahouka v16. I didn't think that anything would top the scene in v15 where Miyuki was horrified to learn that incest is in fact bad, but I guess I was far, far too naive. To sum it up Tatsuya and Miyuki are now engaged. They are still siblings, but their crazy aunt decided to falsely claim Tatsuya was really her son instead for the express purpose of legitimizing their incestuous relationship. This is honestly the most sympathetic Tatsuya the smug libertarian robot has ever been, because he is seriously weirded out by all this and remains completely uninterested in schtupping his sister.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 19, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Serious Frolicking posted:

I finally got around to reading mahouka v16. I didn't think that anything would top the scene in v15 where Miyuki was horrified to learn that incest is in fact bad, but I guess I was far, far too naive. To sum it up Tatsuya and Miyuki are now engaged. They are still siblings, but their crazy aunt decided to falsely claim Tatsuya was really her son instead for the express purpose of legitimizing their incestuous relationship. This is honestly the most sympathetic Tatsuya the smug libertarian robot has ever been, because he is seriously weirded out by all this and remains completely uninterested in schtupping his sister.

The Mahouka Report is still the best, you're doing the lord's work.

It's kinda weird how hard the author is gunning for that considering every other opinion he has. Then again I guess that's the extreme endpoint of SUPERIOR JAPANESE GENES so ???

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Yinlock posted:

The Mahouka Report is still the best, you're doing the lord's work.

It's kinda weird how hard the author is gunning for that considering every other opinion he has. Then again I guess that's the extreme endpoint of SUPERIOR JAPANESE GENES so ???

Nah, I'm starting to think that I was misinterpreting this series from the start. Tatsuya isn't the author stand-in. Miyuki is, because she is the one who wants to bone Tatsuya.

The v15 thing I mentioned was that Tatsuya found out with his omniscient god vision that a sickly magician was defective because he was the result of sibling incest. So magician inbreeding is even worse than regular inbreeding, somehow. But that doesn't apply to the two of them, because during the same scene they were engaged to each other it was also revealed that Miyuki had undergone extensive genetic engineering. So while they are siblings, were raised as siblings and still know they are siblings despite the deception by their aunt, it is completely okay for them to have kids because their genes are sufficiently different.

Thus far, v17 is about the rest of the magician community objecting because they aren't cool with the yotsubas hogging all those SUPERIOR JAPANESE GENES, so they would prefer the two married outside of their family. And really, they have a point. Even if they go with the lie that Tatsuya and Miyuki are cousins, their supposed mothers were twins. Babby's first eugenics manifesto is completely accurate in this setting, as magical ability from parents is almost always passed down to children but magical incest is harmful within a single generation.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Tatsuya will use his superior magic powers to guide the least incestuous sperm to the egg.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Tatsuya will use his superior magic powers to guide the least incestuous sperm to the egg.

He doesn't have to because of genetic engineering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
The description you're giving of that comic reads like somebody who really wants to gently caress their sister, and is coming up with more and more rationalizations to be allowed to do so.

:shepface: "You want to gently caress your sister? Don't you know that's illegal?"
:spergin: "Oh yeah? What if we're not legally related due to a loophole?"
:shepface: "I... even if, you're going to end up with loving inbred kids."
:spergin: "Not if we're genetically engineered to allow us to gently caress each other safely."
:shepface: "Holy poo poo, you are hosed up, and society should not allow you to gently caress your sister."
:spergin: "You're all just jealous! You want to gently caress my sister to steal our superior genes!"
:shepicide:

• Locked thread