Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think goon stacks are particularly, uh... competitively minded? so if you've been playing with them, you're not getting the full tryhard experience that can come with games against groups

True but every goon group I've played will switch classes and generally make picks that help the team. Which is a lot better than double hanzo reaper town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sometimes they do and sometimes you go 5 games across multiple servers without anyone wanting to be a medic

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Manatee Cannon posted:

sometimes they do and sometimes you go 5 games across multiple servers without anyone wanting to be a medic

The best thing about enjoying playing support is that you'll never not have a support (unless you just don't give a gently caress).

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
People have said there's no friendly fire, but I get the occasional blue 'TEAM KILL' on my screen, what's up with that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People have said there's no friendly fire, but I get the occasional blue 'TEAM KILL' on my screen, what's up with that?

the entire enemy team died

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It means the whole enemy team died

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Hm they could have made that a bit clearer, every other shooter it means you dun goofed.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You killed a team, and it may please you to know there are two teams: your team and the enemy team.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

That message is the most confusing thing because of what it means in every other game. Seriously, could Blizzard not think of something better?

Yes, killing an entire team and calling it a "team kill" makes a very literal sense, but at the same time the phrase has implications. Could they not call it a Domination? Or just a Team Wipe? or something like that?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can kinda understand being confused but idk, it always makes sense in context. the whole enemy team dies, a horn goes off and the announcer says "team kill". like what situation would you be in where it was even in doubt whether you killed someone on your side?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

FAUXTON posted:

You killed a team, and it may please you to know there are two teams: your team and the enemy team.

and they both wanna gently caress me over

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like Pharah is the new flavor of the month. I keep seeing double Pharah in every other game.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Blizzard apologized for accidentally leaving Soldier 76 in the game.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

I can kinda understand being confused but idk, it always makes sense in context. the whole enemy team dies, a horn goes off and the announcer says "team kill". like what situation would you be in where it was even in doubt whether you killed someone on your side?

I play as Mercy virtually all the time so I tend not to focus too much on what happens to the other team and the 'TEAM KILL' usually comes out of nowhere. I just think there could be a better way of putting it. Team kill is already an established term in first person shooters; it means you killed one of your teammates. 'Enemy team wiped out' or something of the like is probably better.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

He walked right into the enemy's ult, the roast!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dias posted:

and they both wanna gently caress me over

Yeah that happens. The best example of this is when you're healing the gently caress out of your team as Mercy or maybe Zenyatta and you realize the enemy team has switched to fielding a tracer, a genji, and a reaper instead of the junkrats and pharah so you ask for the Reinhardt to switch to roadhog to handle them and you get ignored. So you switch to roadhog and some chucklefuck decides to "heal" with a kill-chasing lucio which actually doesn't heal anyone because he's almost never near the team if he's not getting killed over and over, meaning not only has your team's damage output fallen, its healing has gone flatline, and you can't switch yourself back to healing because you're the only tank now. And when you point it out you get told a) lucio is the best healer in all situations and b) roadhog just feeds the enemy team ult charge so picking him is bad and c) they drop halfway through the round because they once again had bad luck with their ISP who is actually really good the rest of the time but just becomes worse than dialup as soon as overwatch packets start passing through their routers.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I just think there could be a better way of putting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l1Et65Kss0

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Just a heads up for those who may not know since the weekly brawl is all Soldier 76. Soldier 76's accuracy doesn't start degrading until after four shots. If you fire in four round bursts you never take an accuracy penalty, it's very easy to get the hang of.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Diametunim posted:

Just a heads up for those who may not know since the weekly brawl is all Soldier 76. Soldier 76's accuracy doesn't start degrading until after four shots. If you fire in four round bursts you never take an accuracy penalty, it's very easy to get the hang of.

Yeah and you can still land headshots for another 2-3 rounds after those first four before it blooms all the way out. After that it's just a cone but if you've landed the initial burst on their head then short of tanks or healing you are able to burn them the rest of the way down with body shots.

Now when you're pulling "Sniper! NO SNIPING!" duty or anti-Pharah work that's when you want to stick to those four round bursts. Follow it with the rocket against a sniper to really lay a hurting on them. Kill a Pharah with your rockets to be smug as gently caress all match.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Seems like you want to open up with the rocket against widowmaker instead of the other way around, so she doesn't start moving as a reaction to your bullets and make it more likely to miss

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Digirat posted:

Seems like you want to open up with the rocket against widowmaker instead of the other way around, so she doesn't start moving as a reaction to your bullets and make it more likely to miss

Most Widows will try to find you and shoot at you first, that's what makes it so funny if you land the burst and the rockets because all they have to do is just get the hell into cover but nooooo they need the KDR.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why does Reaper get to keep his ult if you kill him when he starts using it? Lost a game because a Reaper ran into use and tried to ult twice and died instantly. Third time on the point though he finally waits for his team and despite ulting and failing both lifes before that, he still has it.

Maybe I'm just bitter because when I play Symmetra the game doesn't give me a second chance with my ult :mad:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Speaking of Reaper, does his ult go 360 degrees in all directions, or just 360 degrees on a horizontal plane?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Kraken posted:

Why does Reaper get to keep his ult if you kill him when he starts using it? Lost a game because a Reaper ran into use and tried to ult twice and died instantly. Third time on the point though he finally waits for his team and despite ulting and failing both lifes before that, he still has it.

Maybe I'm just bitter because when I play Symmetra the game doesn't give me a second chance with my ult :mad:

Generally if you get killed within like that first "DIE" you don't lose much ult charge if any. Same thing applies to a lot of other characters - Roadhog will keep his if he gets killed before starting to crank his gun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Speaking of Reaper, does his ult go 360 degrees in all directions, or just 360 degrees on a horizontal plane?

360' in all directions. It's effectively a sphere, emanating from his center, but it does take LoS into account.

FAUXTON posted:

Generally if you get killed within like that first "DIE" you don't lose much ult charge if any. Same thing applies to a lot of other characters - Roadhog will keep his if he gets killed before starting to crank his gun.

Quite a few ults have this feature. Watch the ultimate bar when you use them: you'll see that it (quickly) drains down to 0% after activation, but stops draining if you die, which can leave you with 40-90% of your ultimate bar depending on how fast you were fragged.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
You should definitely lose your ult charge if you die during its activation. It's your fault you tried to ult in the middle of people with stun mechanics without waiting for them to lose them. It makes killing those people really unsatisfying because you know the Soldier 76 you just headshot during his ult activation still has 75%.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Lúcio is low-key best turret wrecker in the game, I swear. I think it's just his bob-and-weave bullshit plus a long-range projectile gun.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Am I a bad person for liking the McCree nerf not because he needed a nerf, but because it makes him feel more like Ambassador Spy (but with health and mobility), which is all I ever wanted from Team Fortress?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

ambassador spy was good and fun and mcree is good is gooder and funner (though having access to cloak would be amazing)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Countblanc posted:

You should definitely lose your ult charge if you die during its activation. It's your fault you tried to ult in the middle of people with stun mechanics without waiting for them to lose them. It makes killing those people really unsatisfying because you know the Soldier 76 you just headshot during his ult activation still has 75%.

On the other hand it encourages shielding or otherwise mitigating/avoiding the damage while letting it finish when you're on the receiving end. Sure you can protect the team with uber sick twitch kills but a real hero whips out the shield or drops a bubble.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Veryslightlymad posted:

Am I a bad person for liking the McCree nerf not because he needed a nerf, but because it makes him feel more like Ambassador Spy (but with health and mobility), which is all I ever wanted from Team Fortress?

Brother: <inumerable bitchings about mccree nerf>

Me: "I don't even know why you're playing McCree, you used to play SCOUT and sucked at Ambassador Spy, which is what McCree really is"

Glad to see it's that obvious.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Why do some goons bother arranging groups only to not use voice chat? What's the point?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
ITT I learned that "team kill" popping up on your screen is apparently a confusing thing for some people for some reason

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Verranicus posted:

Why do some goons bother arranging groups only to not use voice chat? What's the point?

Why is Snake Eyes on the GI Joe team? Guy can't talk, but boy can he kick rear end.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

FAUXTON posted:

On the other hand it encourages shielding or otherwise mitigating/avoiding the damage while letting it finish when you're on the receiving end. Sure you can protect the team with uber sick twitch kills but a real hero whips out the shield or drops a bubble.

alright

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Heavy Metal posted:

Why is Snake Eyes on the GI Joe team? Guy can't talk, but boy can he kick rear end.

Yeah, no, goons who refuse to use Discord don't kick rear end.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Played a few games with friends and had a blast, got gold elims in Nepal for a round as Reinhart which is a first. Teams were great and balanced.

Then they logged off so I went to solo - first game was me (level 27), two level 30s, a level 60 and two levels 10s against 3 level 90s and three level 80s on Anubis. Needless to say, a disaster. I left and re-entered the queue.

Next game? My team was all sub-40s against a team of level 100+ players on Gibraltar. They pushed the cart to completion in maybe 3 minutes. I had gold elims with 2 kills on our team.

We got wrecked so hard it actually just makes me not want to play the game at all. What the hell is up with matchmaking??

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Rank levels don't mean poo poo other than how much people have grinded matches. I've played against horrendous 120 players and very good 20 guys. Dynamic queue does set you up against stacks as a solo queuer more often than I'd care for, especially if your MMR is decent.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dias posted:

Rank levels don't mean poo poo other than how much people have grinded matches. I've played against horrendous 120 players and very good 20 guys. Dynamic queue does set you up against stacks as a solo queuer more often than I'd care for, especially if your MMR is decent.

Tonight feels really, really bad.

I pretty much lost most of my games tonight, but I'm happy with how I played. It's really frustrating doing well, but getting dismantled because the game puts you against stacks constantly and your teammates, while fine can't hold a candle to a coordinated effort.

Then there are games where your Roadhog runs face first into the enemy the entire game, and your Genji just flails around uselessly.

Teams don't change game after game, and team scramble is disabled when groups are playing together against pubs: where it's needed the most.

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I love Torb turrets. Free weapon charge for Zarya. It's the one damage source that won't quit when you pop your bubble.

Also, I like Roadhog on defense more and more. The Widow and Mcree nerfs were a blow to a couple of his natural predators. I know the general opinion of this thread is that he is a punching bag for the enemy to charge their ults on, but the hook+shotgun+melee combo can get rid of all sorts of troubles. He's one of the few characters with a predictable stun and displacement, good for disrupting game-changing ults like Reaper's, Genji's, and Phara's Qs. The self-sustain is pretty awesome too especially if you happen to solo-queue.

On offense I'd rather have Reinhardt unless my Hog is paired with Zarya.