Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They need to bring Krypto back. Either of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Travis343 posted:

I do hope Duke does more than just sit in the batcave and do Bruce's math homework next issue. It didn't really feel like a #1 issue but I didn't really want another #1 issue, honestly. So many of these Rebirth books have been people sitting around talking for 20 pages so it was pretty entertaining to see Batman thrown into a pure action scenario like that.

See I liked that too, but it just didn't seem to setup any "whoa" mysteries. There are a couple floating (heh) about, but nothing that grabs my attention. Thank goodness it doesn't seem to be HydraKobra that is the main baddie.

Teenage Fansub posted:

When Charles Soule took Red Lanterns over at #21 it became one of the best comics DC put out.
Guy Gardner grew a handlebar mustache and led it like a biker gang. Highly recommended.

Sorry my posts are awful. I meant Baz and Jessica. Have they both always been insufferable?

I was thinking about it too and Baz seems like an angrier Guy Gardener and Jessica is a more neurotic Kyle Rayner. :confused:

PenguinKnight posted:

I'm fine with the cat being killed. I however am not fine that they felt the need to show the cat's laser blasted corpse :catstare:

Showing that cat was fine because we were seeing Jonathan's horrified reaction to what just happened. We were traumatized like this child.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Krypto: Rebirth. Good boy. Good issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That was my fault for skimming.
I liked Baz from the end of Johns' run (check out GL #0 for his origin) and Jessica's story was pretty good in JL after Forever Evil.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Krypto's around.

He was in Morrison and Pak's Action Comics runs.

I don't know how he'd react to New/Old Superman though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I like Simon a lot in theory and he's decently cool in practice, he's just undercut a bit by his whole "they think I'm a terrorist" thing when he intentionally wears a balaclava and carries a gun.

Jessica owns though.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Who decided to draw Simon Baz as a POC Kick-rear end?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Toxxupation posted:

"Try to objectify me and you'll bleed. Because I'm a WEAPON." is the worst comic book line of dialog I've experienced in recent memory.

I loved that line for how awful it is on so many levels. "Don't objectify me! Because I'm an OBJECT!"

:allears:.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you people learn nothing from Iron Fist?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I would like Green Lanterns more if they wrote their weaknesses/quirks with any level of nuance beyond just saying that they have them. So we get Simon Baz constantly talking how he's a former criminal and was imprisoned wrongly as a terrorist, but knowingly was transporting a car bomb or something, or I dunno what having a meeting with the authorities and going "HOW DARE THEY PROFILE ME" and it all comes off as the most obvious and dullest contemporary criticism as character. Or Jessica's weird agoraphobia/social anxiety manifesting as reading her boring interior dialog about how she hates public spaces and has a hard time dealing with other people as her sister tells her that in order to be her roommate she's gonna have to learn how to deal with other people and go out in public. It's all very obvious and people just walking around stating their themes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

I would like Green Lanterns more if they wrote their weaknesses/quirks with any level of nuance beyond just saying that they have them. So we get Simon Baz constantly talking how he's a former criminal and was imprisoned wrongly as a terrorist, but knowingly was transporting a car bomb or something, or I dunno what having a meeting with the authorities and going "HOW DARE THEY PROFILE ME" and it all comes off as the most obvious and dullest contemporary criticism as character. Or Jessica's weird agoraphobia/social anxiety manifesting as reading her boring interior dialog about how she hates public spaces and has a hard time dealing with other people as her sister tells her that in order to be her roommate she's gonna have to learn how to deal with other people and go out in public. It's all very obvious and people just walking around stating their themes.

Wait... I thought Johns wasn't writing comics for a while?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

I loved that line for how awful it is on so many levels. "Don't objectify me! Because I'm an OBJECT!"

:allears:.

I think the point of that was that if you objectify her, the object she becomes would be a weapon? Like, that's her objectsona, and that's what she'd be if she was an object.

It's not a good line either way

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

Well in issue 1 they are still introducing these chars so I expect that. If they're still going full "As you know Simon I am an agoraphobic shut in" in a few issues it'll be terrible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The thing I'm mad about with Green Arrow is that on the cover there's some gang of Mad Dog dudes and they weren't in the comic :mad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Well in issue 1 they are still introducing these chars so I expect that. If they're still going full "As you know Simon I am an agoraphobic shut in" in a few issues it'll be terrible.

I have the feeling it will be.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Mr Hootington posted:

I have the feeling it will be.

DC comics do tend to be more prone to that since they don't have recap pages to rely on. I've never read Jonesy so I have no idea if Sam Humphries is that kind of writer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I didn't mind it much because this is basically the third issue of anything that I've ever read with Jessica Cruz. A bit of a character primer didn't hurt.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I would love to meet the person who jumped on Green Lanterns because of Jonesy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

JoshTheStampede posted:

DC comics do tend to be more prone to that since they don't have recap pages to rely on. I've never read Jonesy so I have no idea if Sam Humphries is that kind of writer.

Valid point. I haven't read any of Sam's stuff either, but it is all on MU. He wrote Avengers A.I. and Legendary Star-Lord.

Edit: I still stand by the issue being blah and the two lanterns being annoying. I plan to stick with a couple more issues to make sure.

Only one in think of dumping so far is Batman. Both issues have been mediocre and underwhelming.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 16, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

On the one hand: DC could use some recap pages, badly, to straighten out characters' backstories, at least at the start of a each arc to set some continuity rules and prop up the newbies.

On the other hand: Johns used to start every comic with "Hey there. My name is ___________. But some people call me The ____________. Supposed to be the good guy. Save the world. But today, it's not that simple."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

There is literally no excuse that DC has for not doing recap pages, especially when they devote a good fifth to third of each issue to awkward-as-gently caress and overwrought recap-as-internal narration. Zero. None.

Oh wait, Marvel came up with the idea, so never mind I guess.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I always thought Johns started every comic like that BECAUSE he couldn't do a recap page.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Toxxupation posted:

There is literally no excuse that DC has for not doing recap pages, especially when they devote a good fifth to third of each issue to awkward-as-gently caress and overwrought recap-as-internal narration. Zero. None.

Oh wait, Marvel came up with the idea, so never mind I guess.

For someone who didn't read comics until a few months ago, you have really caught on fast.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Fish posted:

On the one hand: DC could use some recap pages, badly, to straighten out characters' backstories, at least at the start of a each arc to set some continuity rules and prop up the newbies.

On the other hand: Johns used to start every comic with "Hey there. My name is ___________. But some people call me The ____________. Supposed to be the good guy. Save the world. But today, it's not that simple."

I thought he did that because he was copying Mark Waid? Didn't Waid come up with the "My name is Wally West... {situation summary} Good thing I'm The Flash, the fastest man alive..." shtick?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It's weird since Channel 52 is a good idea and sort of the natural counterpoint to a recap page - let's keep you aware of what's going on in the wider world that this comic exists in, not just the history of this one specific comic - that suffers from bad gags/jokes and really horrid art. But it's an idea that Marvel should absolutely jack from DC and DC should re-implement in a better way, because there's value there, just not the way they did it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just finished Batman and I thought it was a solid issue. Kind of like seeing Batman doing some kind of heroism while also introducing the mystery right at the end. Too often you see arcs that are slow burn, and while this story could be seen as "filler" at least it was exciting and entertaining.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

This issue of Batman reminded me of the first issue of Mark Waid's Black Widow. Really exciting action piece, capped with a good mystery of what Batman will do with a Superman and Supergirl in Gotham.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I know it's gonna lead to them dying, but I'd love for Gotham and Gotham Girl to be really enduring characters.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

I hope its Clark giving Jon Krypto

Yeah, whatever happened to Wolf Krypto after Nu Clark pulled him from the Phantom Zone? Side note, that whole issue of the dog being there with him was one of the best issues ever. Same with subsequent pulling him out.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I know it's gonna lead to them dying, but I'd love for Gotham and Gotham Girl to be really enduring characters.

Why would you say that before you even know anything about them? They've been on one page so far. Let's see if they're worth keeping around first.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Why would you say that before you even know anything about them?

Seems like the likely arc.
Goofy titled supers encroaching on Batman's turf. They'll get in the way and antagonize him even though they're probably not villainous at all, and in the end die tragically saving the city/Batman, learning Bruce a lesson.

Gotham and Gotham Girl. They have to be designed for the comic reader to start going "Pfft. That's stupid." and feel bad about that several issues later.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 16, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The biggest problem is that Gotham has to be a shithole, and Gotham's only a shithole because Superman isn't there (even though that inherently stretches plausibility, you can just sorta assume that Superman's just too goddamn busy otherwise to pop down in Gotham with any significance). So once King introduced Gotham and Gotham Girl as Superman/Supergirl but for Gotham, the story then becomes structuring it so they're removed from the narrative.

On the other hand King's work on Vision is transcendent despite the fact that going in everyone who was reading it knew that it was gonna be a story about Vision's family being removed from the narrative, so maybe it can still work. It's a little troubling though, especially when Vision was upfront about it being a posthumous examination of a tragedy in contrast to Batman's more straightforward superhero story. I really hope that King lays his cards on the table and doesn't try to keep the presence of Gotham or Gotham Girl as the focus, but reflect them more as how their existence affects Bruce Wayne.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gotham and Gotham Girl is really Silver Agey. I'm pretty sure there's a dozen World's Finest stories about a new superhero coming to town, becoming popular, Batman/Superman get real jealous, with it ending up being Superman with amnesia.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Like once Superman got depowered every single issue had him mentioning that he's not as powerful as he used to be.

Also I quite liked Batman #1. Cool situation that at first seems a bit out of his league, I like the look of Gotham and Gotham Girl. I just want to see Duke DO something in his new role already though

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with King about Batman

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...breaking_banner

Yeah, I'm not getting this book anytime soon.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Interview with King about Batman

http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...breaking_banner

Yeah, I'm not getting this book anytime soon.

Yeah, it's going to be a good book. You wouldn't enjoy it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm a little disappointed to hear that Duke is going to be sidelined for so long. I get what he's saying about Tim but we live in a world where companies are putting out multiple #1 issues a year, where every 1-2 years, DC does an event that fundamentally changes the reality of their universe, and where Snyder and Capullo going five years on Batman is a huge accomplishment. I'm not sure a character can be built up over time like that in this climate. I feel like he's gonna get rebooted away or killed off before he ever does anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Travis343 posted:

I'm a little disappointed to hear that Duke is going to be sidelined for so long. I get what he's saying about Tim but we live in a world where companies are putting out multiple #1 issues a year, where every 1-2 years, DC does an event that fundamentally changes the reality of their universe, and where Snyder and Capullo going five years on Batman is a huge accomplishment. I'm not sure a character can be built up over time like that in this climate. I feel like he's gonna get rebooted away or killed off before he ever does anything.

It seems that Snyder wants to write the training and building of the relationship.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Toxxupation posted:

The biggest problem is that Gotham has to be a shithole, and Gotham's only a shithole because Superman isn't there

What could Superman do that Batman doesn't? I know he could do a lot of it faster, but speed isn't the reason Gotham sucks. Like no amount of heat vision would stop corrupt cops. Superman would use Arkham, except it wouldn't have Wayne funding.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

What could Superman do that Batman doesn't? I know he could do a lot of it faster, but speed isn't the reason Gotham sucks. Like no amount of heat vision would stop corrupt cops. Superman would use Arkham, except it wouldn't have Wayne funding.

He could write a scathing expose on police corruption in the newspaper.

But then the paper is also in the mobs pocket so they never run the article. And his secret identity is blown when a hit squad shoots up Clark's apartment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's really kind of dumb that Gotham is so much worse when Metropolis is like, right across the bay. Does Superman not go out of the city limits? It wouldn't be anything for him to take care of both cities.