Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

NancyPants posted:

I negotiated a debt settlement for a student loan that is so old it no longer shows up on my credit report despite my having paid according to the collector's agreement since 2011. I want the settlement agreement to keep the debt off my credit reports. Is this something I can realistically expect from an attorney?

e: the actual amount of the debt is in question due to the OC/collector still not providing me complete accounting of the debt and I have multiple recorded calls where they do this.

A consumer attorney can do this, since a lot of them do fair credit reporting act cases now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

A consumer attorney can do this, since a lot of them do fair credit reporting act cases now.

Thanks, would this be the same type as one who handles debt negotiation and/or bankruptcy?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I imagine DisneyWorld will pay whatever the parents of the dead gator-gotten toddler ask and will settle privately to keep this poo poo from being in the news, but if family really wanted to sue them, what grounds would they have? Unsafe environment for children?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Cowslips Warren posted:

I imagine DisneyWorld will pay whatever the parents of the dead gator-gotten toddler ask and will settle privately to keep this poo poo from being in the news, but if family really wanted to sue them, what grounds would they have? Unsafe environment for children?

Simple Negligence would probably get them there. Also some states consider amusement parks common carriers, though that might be muddled since it's a resort. There's also specific laws targeting hotels and their duties of care.

Basically it will be a negligence theory with the "duties" likely spelled out by statute.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I'm in Texas and have what is probably a dumb law question (maybe just an ethics question). I am in a suit in small claims court for a car accident. I don't want to get into detail on that other than I am the plaintiff pro se and the defendant has a lawyer from her insurance company.

So the lawyer sent me interrogatories and a request for production with a big definitions paragraph at the beginning. Me not being a lawyer sent requests back with pretty much the same stuff, changing plaintiff with defendant type stuff were the only changes I made. I get their response back and in addition to objects on most questions (they answered most to be fair,) there is a paragraph at the beginning saying they don't agree to the definitions and 'Such a use of "definitions" and "instructions" is an abuse of discovery"

Since they knowingly sent me documents which they classify as an abuse of the process do I have grounds to file a grievance with the state bar or something? It seems like the attorney is trying to bully me so I will settle and I really don't think I should have to put up with it for a stupid small claims case.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

NancyPants posted:

Thanks, would this be the same type as one who handles debt negotiation and/or bankruptcy?

Yea should be the same. They should tell you if they do them, they probably also do other related consumer law since they all tend to revolve around debt collection.

Just for the love of god don't hire a firm with a url for a name

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Re: Texas small claims. Did the justice of the peace authorize discovery? Cause you don't get discovery in jp court without the court authorizing it.

And honestly, maybe you do report that to the bar. I hate that kind of poo poo. Nothing will come of it, but gently caress that kind of lawyer. Using instructions and definitions is also super common in discovery and saying it's an abuse, even if true technically, is so disingenuous.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Re: Texas small claims. Did the justice of the peace authorize discovery? Cause you don't get discovery in jp court without the court authorizing it.

And honestly, maybe you do report that to the bar. I hate that kind of poo poo. Nothing will come of it, but gently caress that kind of lawyer. Using instructions and definitions is also super common in discovery and saying it's an abuse, even if true technically, is so disingenuous.

Yeah, he requested permission. Would bringing it up to the judge do anything that might help? My case is being heard tomorrow and as I have been preparing it has just bothered me more and more.

Also surprisingly asked for a jury trial (well surprising to me). Anything I should know about those?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Premises liability. The lagoon was an unsafe condition because it had alligators in it, the park knew or should have known there were alligators in its man made lagoon, the Nebraska guests couldn't have reasonably expected gators, and Disney failed to warn of the unsafe condition.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is it really an unsafe condition when there are gators nearly everywhere? That's like complaining you got sunburn while standing in an un-shaded area.

They could put up a "Warning: Alligators" sign, but maintaining a gator-free status would be nearly impossible.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Why should they have any duty to keep it gator-free? At least they should warn people. How, inside a resort targeted toward families with children, would you expect there to be alligators in a lagoon that Disney's own gator wranglers did not expect to have alligators?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

dalstrs posted:

Yeah, he requested permission. Would bringing it up to the judge do anything that might help? My case is being heard tomorrow and as I have been preparing it has just bothered me more and more.

Also surprisingly asked for a jury trial (well surprising to me). Anything I should know about those?

Jesus Christ. Yeah, about 3 years of law school and years of practice as a litigator. You may win, but they're just going to appeal to real court, where they'll bounce you by using the rules of civil procedure.

Good luck.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Re: alligators. They admit that they remove anything over 4 feet long, so they already show knowledge of a dangerous condition. And think of how easy putting up a sign that says "warning: alligators. Watch your kids" would have been. Especially since wdw is a worldwide attraction, and not every one realizes how incredibly dangerous a small gator is to a 30lb human.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Jesus Christ. Yeah, about 3 years of law school and years of practice as a litigator. You may win, but they're just going to appeal to real court, where they'll bounce you by using the rules of civil procedure.

Good luck.

I hope they don't, I think the amount is small enough they probably wouldn't. If they did appeal I would hire a lawyer and I think my case is good enough they would end up having to pay my attorney fees.

I'll post what happens tomorrow afterwards.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I bet the jury would love hearing about his copy/paste accusation against his own abuse of discovery process.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
You need to research how to get evidence in. If you can't offer your own evidence, you'll be hosed.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

In theory, the jp will not apply the rules and let anything go.

In practice, assume you will get hosed.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

In theory, the jp will not apply the rules and let anything go.

In practice, assume you will get hosed.

Is it that bad?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

I hope they don't, I think the amount is small enough they probably wouldn't. If they did appeal I would hire a lawyer and I think my case is good enough they would end up having to pay my attorney fees.

I'll post what happens tomorrow afterwards.

I might be wrong, but if it's a car wreck and its negligence I don't think you can get attorney's fees.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

EwokEntourage posted:

I might be wrong, but if it's a car wreck and its negligence I don't think you can get attorney's fees.

Even on an appeal if it is in my favor? In this case, they have already admitted partial fault. I just strongly disagree with their percentages and I think I have the evidence to back it up.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

Even on an appeal if it is in my favor? In this case, they have already admitted partial fault. I just strongly disagree with their percentages and I think I have the evidence to back it up.

Recovering attorney fees depends on what claim you are bringing. So like suing someone else for negligence to get their insurance to payout might not be eligible for attorney's fees. But maybe suing your own insurance company to get them to pay out a claim to you under the insurance code might get attorneys fees.

this lists some but not all, if you're curious. If you do hire an attorney, they'll know depending on the claim

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

EwokEntourage posted:

Recovering attorney fees depends on what claim you are bringing. So like suing someone else for negligence to get their insurance to payout might not be eligible for attorney's fees. But maybe suing your own insurance company to get them to pay out a claim to you under the insurance code might get attorneys fees.

this lists some but not all, if you're curious. If you do hire an attorney, they'll know depending on the claim

If they are appealing and I had to get a lawyer they wouldn't be on the hook then? Assuming my original suit is for negligence?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dalstrs posted:

If they are appealing and I had to get a lawyer they wouldn't be on the hook then? Assuming my original suit is for negligence?

By default, attorneys fees aren't available. You only get them in special circumstances. "They are appealing and I had to get a lawyer" is not special.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Kalman posted:

By default, attorneys fees aren't available. You only get them in special circumstances. "They are appealing and I had to get a lawyer" is not special.

Seems like it would be really easy to harass someone with lawsuits if you had the time.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

dalstrs posted:

Seems like it would be really easy to harass someone with lawsuits if you had the time.

There are mechanisms for dealing with vexatious litigants (basically, if you're enough of an rear end in a top hat and keep filing you can be told you have to ask for permission to file) and the attorneys who enable them (Rule 11 sanctions) but they only really get used in extreme cases.

And yeah, it would, for example if your name is Peter Thiel.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

dalstrs posted:

In that case, you file for sanctions against the other party and their attorneys.

At some point long ago, Americans decided each side should pay their own. So it's called the American rule. There has been a small push in more recent times to increase attorney fees award, more so in federal litigation I would guess. But it's still not close to the majority

Also, you will probably only pay the attorney if you win, so it's not like you'll lose money, you'll just recover less (likely)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I bet the guy didn't even read your instructions and just objected as a matter of course. Same with all the objections in each response.

I always object to "instructions and definitions" just because I don't care about three pages of crap people put at the beginning of their discovery, or the dumb obligations people try to foist on me, the law is pretty clear about what I need to disclose. Of course I don't put instructions or definitions in my own discovery, except when there are truly ambiguous terms or terms of art that need to be defined. I don't feel the need to define "you" or "identify."

I have had dumbasses object that a general interrogatory asking for someone to give their name, address, DOB, DL number, and marital status was "compound" and should count as 5 separate interrogatories. My response was to amend the interrogatory to ask them to "identify" themselves, with "identify" defined as "provide your name, address, DOB, DL number, and marital status." Feels really meaningful and good having fights like that. loving lawyers.

For the guy going to trial, you'll be fine. It's small claims, hopefully the judge will help you out. Just be nice and polite to everyone and don't be afraid to speak up and ask if you aren't sure what is happening. Don't interrupt anyone, especially not the judge.

Also be sure that you ask the judge if you can introduce all of your exhibits into evidence and show them to the jury. This is crucial.

If the other guy objects to your exhibits, ask why. If it's because of relevance say the documents are relevant because they concern the facts at issue and will help the jury decide the case. If its authenticity, you need to have a witness say what the exhibit is (e.g. a picture of a car or the accident scene, ask the witness if they took the picture or if it's an accurate depiction of whatever; a police report, ask the cop if he prepared it, does he recognize it, etc). If it's hearsay then it's trickier, but usually documents are either (a) business records, (b) admissions of the other party, like a statement they made; (c) statements you made for medical treatment, like your complaints of pain to a doctor (medical records are probably both (a) and (c)); or (d) present sense impression or a recorded recollection, something someone wrote when the information was fresh in their mind but now it's not. If none of those work, say that the evidence isn't hearsay because you aren't offering it to prove the truth of the matter asserted and watch the defense lawyer's head explode (don't do this--though it would be funny--unless it's true and you understand why).

If all else fails argue that your evidence should go in so that there's a complete record on appeal. If the judge still says no, say you want to proffer the evidence, which means it goes into the record so a later court can see it but the jury can't consider it. Hopefully even if the jury can't technically see it, after all of this they now know it exists and are wondering why the rear end in a top hat defense lawyer didn't want them to see it.

Good luck.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 16, 2016

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Seriously the rules of evidence don't apply in jp court unless the judge decides to apply them. Ask the judge to not apply them.

Appeal from jp court is not a true appeal, by the way, it's a trial de novo to the next level of trial court. Yes, you have to try the case all over. The rules always apply there. No, you will definitely not get attorney fees.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If this judge has allowed discovery and allowed a jury, what are the odds he will apply the rules of evidence?

I've never done anything in small claims and definitely not Texas jp so not arguing. Just curious.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Jury allowed by law. Not an option there.

Report back guy!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Don't you have to pay like $2500 in jury fees though? What's the jurisdictional limit?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Justice court has jurisdiction up 10k. The jury fee is like $25. Filling fees can be a few hundred depending on what you need.

The jury is 6 people, specifically not to be given a jury charge. So you basically give them a piece of paper that says plaintiff or defendant, and the judge then does the rest on the judgment. Appeals are de novo to a higher level trial court, but you must post a bond of 3x the judgment or get a surety.

The crazy thing is, until 2013, all the normal rules of evidence and civil procedure applied in justice court. It could be a really fast way to resolve minor monetary disputes between sophisticated parties. But the supreme court changed that. Now, the rules specifically don't apply, and you only get discovery upon motion and order. The judge is directed to help "develop the facts of the case." I've run into some judges who believe that other laws and supreme court rulings don't actually apply in justice court anymore either. It has turned justice court into a parody of courts, more like judge Judy. And it's eliminated any kind of certainty for lawyers. I would never ever file in justice court anymore, except when required to (e.g. Evictions).

I occasionally have to defend the state in justice court. It's a struggle to get rural judges, who are almost never lawyers and usually just part of the local political party (elected judges yay), to believe in concepts like sovereign immunity. I literally have to bring in a supreme court case that says "sovereign immunity and supreme court decisions are binding on justice courts" and even then....

That said, I bet it's awesome for pro se versus pro se, and I've taken some sweet defaults in justice court that I've actually collected on.

I kind of hope pro se guy wins just because I really hate lawyers objecting to the same thing they sent in discovery. I

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
I always thought you couldn't have lawyers in small claims. Period. Or is Texas being special snowflake stupid again?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Spacewolf posted:

I always thought you couldn't have lawyers in small claims. Period. Or is Texas being special snowflake stupid again?

I imagine each state is different.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
The "new rules" have done absolutely jack poo poo besides make us lawyers worry about a bunch of specifics and jurisdictional issues that end up not mattering.

Right now I'm embroiled in an internal struggle as to whether or not to mandamus this loving JP because he won't grant my default judgment without a hearing, which is against the rules, and won't set a hearing for my default, telling me "we will set your hearing when we have an opening."

I filed it 6 months ago.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 16, 2016

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

JP appeals are 2x the judgment for defendants and $500 for plaintiffs

And yea, they're a joke

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

JP appeals are 2x the judgment for defendants and $500 for plaintiffs

And yea, they're a joke

Thats the amount of the bond that the loser has to post.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Thats the amount of the bond that the loser has to post.

That's what the rules say? Am I misunderstanding you?

quote:

Amount of Bond; Sureties; Terms. A plaintiff must file a $500 bond. A defendant must file a bond in an amount equal to twice the amount of the judgment. The bond must be supported by a surety or sureties approved by the judge. The bond must be payable to the appellee and must be conditioned on the appellant’s prosecution of its appeal to effect and payment of any judgment and all costs rendered against it on appeal.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

It's a bond, not a cost. That's blarzgh's point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's a bond, not a cost. That's blarzgh's point.

Ok, but I never said anything about costs so that's what I don't get.

You said

quote:

Appeals are de novo to a higher level trial court, but you must post a bond of 3x the judgment or get a surety.
That's what I was responding to