Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

for what it's worth, Iris' heart events are every bit as creepy. she also keeps going on and on about the ENORMOUS age difference between you both, and is super into mind games. if you don't humor her and play along with all of them like a patsy, she loses massive amounts of FP

i think the devs are subtly trying to warn children against the dangers of abusive relationships

e: here this is what i'm talking about. wtf is wrong with these two?

Corridor fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

lol do you people actually think "person is getting older and fears they'll be single forever" is some weird japanese trope?

have you ever seen a sitcom or romantic comedy before

i don't know about japan but in china it's wayyyy more of a thing than in the west. like at 24, single women will start expressing their fears of it in a dead-serious fashion. i imagine it's similar in japan

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

a7m2 posted:

i don't know about japan but in china it's wayyyy more of a thing than in the west. like at 24, single women will start expressing their fears of it in a dead-serious fashion. i imagine it's similar in japan

That's a huge thing in Anime. Look up the branch leader or the girl worrying about her age and she'll be 25.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

i know a 26 year old single chinese woman whose mom puts so much pressure on her to marry that she has panic attacks and said she'd probably marry this guy who's interested in her but who she hates in the next two years. she probably will and it's really sad

this is a common occurrence in china, unlike in the west. it's probably similar in japan

anyway, i started playing SoS again and i have no idea what i was doing or how all the systems work. it sucks but the game is pretty fun

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Stardew Valley's coming to consoles at the end of the year!

Also, here's Natsume's new Harvest Moon game, out at the end of the year in NA and early next year in Europe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJemu9tTdgI

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Also, here's Natsume's new Harvest Moon game, out at the end of the year in NA and early next year in Europe:

I like it. They made the characters less deformed and the tools actually work on multiple squares. The farm kinda looks like they just swapped out the mountain background for some planes but that's fine.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Stardew - I hope he's letting someone else handle the porting and actually just working on new content himself.

Harvest Moon - Yep, won't be playing this one either.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Gibbo posted:

Harvest Moon - Yep, won't be playing this one either.

Yeah nope. Didn't like the last one and this looks pretty much the same.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Dehry posted:

I like it. They made the characters less deformed and the tools actually work on multiple squares. The farm kinda looks like they just swapped out the mountain background for some planes but that's fine.

On the other hand, harvesting still looks like it takes absolute eons. Story of Seasons had a great way of doing it what with harvesting the whole field at once, and Rune Factory 4 just let you sprint around grabbing all the vegetables quickly. Going back to incredibly slow picking feels so boring.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Gibbo posted:

Stardew - I hope he's letting someone else handle the porting and actually just working on new content himself.

Well good news! The publisher of Stardew Valley announced a little while ago that they would be handling the porting, localization, and multiplayer so ConcernedApe could focus on adding content, which I thought was pretty cool of them.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

dijon du jour posted:

Well good news! The publisher of Stardew Valley announced a little while ago that they would be handling the porting, localization, and multiplayer so ConcernedApe could focus on adding content, which I thought was pretty cool of them.

Good thing I'm not actually concerned with playing multiplayer or on a different platform then. Chucklefish' work isn't exactly awe inspiring.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i don't think i could go back to stardew valley without portrait mods

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Corridor posted:

i don't think i could go back to stardew valley without portrait mods

which is your preferred anime mod

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Looper posted:

which is your preferred anime mod

all my mods revert the chars back to the less hilariously-ugly versions on their development timeline

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Elliott_Timeline.png

seriously chucklefish has a problem with overworking poo poo

e. sorry i just copypasted the link but it automatically gave it img tags

Corridor fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

all my mods revert the chars back to the less hilariously-ugly versions on their development timeline

:shittypop: holy crap, what happened to that guy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Knorth posted:

:shittypop: holy crap, what happened to that guy

his hair slowly began to devour more and more of his head

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

not that fabio isn't FABULOUS but i prefer the cuter harvest-moonier look

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

there's also this one, i can't imagine playing the game with this guy's default pedostache

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/1/16/Harvey_Timeline.png

and maru used to be a million times cuter :(

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/9/97/Maru_Timeline.png

there are loads more but u get the idea

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

there's also this one, i can't imagine playing the game with this guy's default pedostache

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/1/16/Harvey_Timeline.png

and maru used to be a million times cuter :(

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/mediawiki/images/9/97/Maru_Timeline.png

there are loads more but u get the idea

Yeah, that's a shame :( some of those early versions are really cute ...except Sam, nothing's working there I guess

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

That actually looks a million times better than their first attempt, I might consider grabbing it if it becomes discounted.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
It's a bit strange, but TLV has really grown on me when I'm in the mood for a simpler Harvest Moon experience. I'll probably grab their new one, and the Three Towns, too. I like SoS but it feels overwhelming sometimes.

Also, I guess I'm not really that into multiplayer on Stardew Valley, so I'll be okay.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Corridor posted:

http://stardewvalleywiki.com/File:Elliott_Timeline.png

e. sorry i just copypasted the link but it automatically gave it img tags

all chucklefish did was publish it; portrait stuff is all concernedape

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

all chucklefish did was publish it; portrait stuff is all concernedape

ya i typed the wrong name on accident

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

summer is over and I'm just one tomato short to get the tomato juice recipe from the quest reward! i want it for the cooking festival... ;_;

e. not that having the one extra would do me much good since then I'd have none left to cook with. I'm bad at planning.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 15, 2016

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Story of Seasons is 19.99 digital right now so I bought it.

If I recall correctly, it is the true Harvest Moon, and the games that actually have that name are shovel ware usurper crap?

Is story of seasons a new franchise or just the group's first farming Sim without the HM name?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
SoS is the first farming sim without the HM name. The HM one this time around was a Minecrafty type that wasn't as bad as the aesthetics made it out to be.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I recall correctly, it is the true Harvest Moon, and the games that actually have that name are shovel ware usurper crap?

Is story of seasons a new franchise or just the group's first farming Sim without the HM name?

Story of Seasons is the original franchise, branded with a new name cause Xseed/Marvelous doesn't own the rights to the name Harvest Moon.

Natsume started developing their own Harvest Moon games since they lost the distribution rights to the original franchise.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

more or less. story of seasons even uses the exact same engine and graphical assets as HM: ANB and some of the characters from ToTT, along with easter egg music clips from previous HMs. but i heard that the 'usurper crap' natsume titles weren't all that bad, just kind of a different formula. the phone game, however, should be avoided like leprosy

also gently caress the 3ds store, i just paid fuckin full price for story of seasons!

e. the music clips from past games just served to remind me how sucky the SoS music is. there is NO excuse for not having a sound settings menu. :( i hate having to mute the entire 3ds because one sound channel is making my brain melt...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i can't stop laughing at how terrible the HM phone game looks

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

For gently caress sakes can you please post better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gibbo posted:

For gently caress sakes can you please post better.

are you really in any position to say this to anyone else in this thread

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

The Colonel posted:

are you really in any position to say this to anyone else in this thread

My posts are lovely and full of self conflicting ideas at times, but I know how to press shift.

His read like a fourteen year old that skipped his Adderall and stayed up past bedtime. He's welcome to whatever ideas he wants but for gently caress sakes he had three double posts on this page alone.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

u mad?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Gibbo posted:

My posts are lovely and full of self conflicting ideas at times, but I know how to press shift.

His read like a fourteen year old that skipped his Adderall and stayed up past bedtime. He's welcome to whatever ideas he wants but for gently caress sakes he had three double posts on this page alone.

lol

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

i'm just here to talk about videogames with my good friends :)

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

i'm just here to talk about videogames with my good friends :)

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying story of seasons, still looking forward to playing more of it once I 'finish' tott :)

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Knorth posted:

I'm glad you seem to be enjoying story of seasons, still looking forward to playing more of it once I 'finish' tott :)

i am, thank u. :) altho klaus tried to get me to hang out with him by saying he'll give me candy, and called me m'lady

i could not get into ToTT but i hope u enjoy what remains of ur game

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Corridor posted:

i am, thank u. :) altho klaus tried to get me to hang out with him by saying he'll give me candy, and called me m'lady

i could not get into ToTT but i hope u enjoy what remains of ur game

it's flawed but I like the villages and running around the mountain, feeding all the animals :3: I told myself I'd move on once I get the hot spring built though

Klaus seems ...not great :( /probably/ going to end up romancing the botanist from tott in seasons too but being able to crossdress my farmer has me thinking about changing things up a bit :)

as cute as Cam was in tott, I kinda wish Kana was in SoS instead, he was sweetest dork

Knorth fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Dirk the Average posted:

On the other hand, harvesting still looks like it takes absolute eons. Story of Seasons had a great way of doing it what with harvesting the whole field at once, and Rune Factory 4 just let you sprint around grabbing all the vegetables quickly. Going back to incredibly slow picking feels so boring.

From Natsume's community manager: "I'll have longer answers next week, but the picking animation *is* faster than TLV and the team is working on optimizing it further. There will also be the option to multi-pick, by default, no tool needed, up to 3x3."

• Locked thread