Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Update on the watchtower mod for anyone interested:

Pretty close to having it done, the only major obstacles I have left (that I know of) is changing the ports in occupied towns and the UI for when you colonize. Plus a bunch of other stuff like cleaning up names and text but thats all pretty easy.

Unfortunately those are 2 pretty big problems but we'll see how it goes.

There's a lot of sidestepping I have do with UI and graphics too, which I kinda hate, but the assets just don't exist otherwise. The above is a empire town graphic, but it looks really dumb using dwarf towns instead and there's nothing like fort/watchtower type graphics.

My hope is an end product that retains regional settlements but makes it so 2/3s of the map isn't hidden under fog and unsettled, since that's kinda dumb to me. I'm working on it so that you have a couple building chain that lets you occupy the ruins more or less and claim that province, but with no real benefits other then expanding vision and extending friendly territory for replenishment.

I'm tempted to tie in some special units like Dwarf Rangers into this for added flavor, but thats a bit down the road.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

William Bear posted:

Speaking of, what units have Unbreakable?

Dwarves:
Ungrim Ironfist
Slayers

Empire:
Steam Tank

Chaos Warriors:
Hellcannon
Chaos Spawn

Is that it? Do Greenskins or Vampires have any units that will always fight to the last man?

vampires and undead in general (including tomb kings if they ever show up) always fight to the last, their morale works differently - instead of running when their morale runs out they just start taking damage over time

greenskins having morale issues is one of their shticks reflecting their general disorganization and lack of anything resembling proper training

e: also thanks for tips on chaos, they helped me get off the ground and I managed to punch out the dwarf army on turn 9 and started razing them.

the biggest thing was probably "don't play as archaon you nitwit, play as the guy who is a giant monster and who starts with some giant monsters in his army"

President Ark fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 16, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Hahaha holy poo poo auto resolve hates the starting Varghulf. Thank god I quicksave every time I auto. My full stack versus a combined 10 stack and the varghulf goes from 80% hp to dead.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You're doing God's work Mazz, that watchtower mod looks great. I just want to keep the drat things from popping back up after I burn them.

Nasgate posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo auto resolve hates the starting Varghulf. Thank god I quicksave every time I auto. My full stack versus a combined 10 stack and the varghulf goes from 80% hp to dead.

Yeah, autoresolve really favors large numbers of heavy infantry. It underpowers every large monster, especially Fluffy who can solo early game armies alongside Manfred. Apparently CA think that the proper way to use a 1 model monster is as ablative armor for your infantry, when players know better.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's an intentional AI behavior at the moment. Apparently the simulation is pretty complicated the AI is using High HP pool units to minimize casualties. Of course nobody cares about that because zombies.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Speaking of zombies, using the checkerboard formation with them in the first row and skeletons in the second is hilariously effective and who gives a poo poo if the zombies die.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Can you run early BC with lords only? Have a bunch of solo vampire lords who reinforce each other. 4 lords should make a dent in something, right?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

wiegieman posted:

You're doing God's work Mazz, that watchtower mod looks great. I just want to keep the drat things from popping back up after I burn them.

Yeah, autoresolve really favors large numbers of heavy infantry. It underpowers every large monster, especially Fluffy who can solo early game armies alongside Manfred. Apparently CA think that the proper way to use a 1 model monster is as ablative armor for your infantry, when players know better.

This also makes the Vampire Counts prone to suicide against the player because they will roll in with giant stacks of pure chaff that look great in autoresolve and die uselessly to any real army when the battle is played out.

Also please stop checkerboarding pure melee lines. I was wrong about the Dwarves but that's specifically because Thunderer-heavy formations rely on powerful direct fire ranged units to do the bulk of their killing and it's worth compromising their melee line to provide them with avenues of fire. If you just want your trash melee units to screen for your real melee units just run a regular double line.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Voyager I posted:

This also makes the Vampire Counts prone to suicide against the player because they will roll in with giant stacks of pure chaff that look great in autoresolve and die uselessly to any real army when the battle is played out.

Somehow I autoresolved a heroic victory against Kemmler with the bar easily 70% in my favour. Autoresolve seems a bit weird with the undead. Leads to pretty awesome battles against hordes of lovely undead though, especially in the ~*spooky mist*~ terrain.

gently caress vampire lords being called a wizard on their unit card though. Oh, their necromancer is exposed with just a badly damaged unit of skeleton spears, I'll send the cavalry. Why is he at full health again? Why are so many of my horsemans dying? Ooooh. Retreat guys, this is a job for the greatcannons.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

There are definitely some autoresolve bar bugs. I once had a battle with a pathetic greenskin garrison (it was like 3 units of goblins and 2 orc boyz) against a full dwarven army stack with a lord and it somehow was at like 30% for me.

e: and despite what the bar said, I was lucky to kill even a dozen dwarfs whether I played the match or hit autoresolve, so it seemed to be just a display error for the bar itself rather than a bug in the actual autoresolve calculation.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

DiHK posted:

Recruitment and attrition difficulties are the closest we get to simulated supply lines. Grow a pair.

Yeah, I really like it, I usually use 1 extra lord, max the blue line and have them recruit, run to an area in need and switch I'm new poo poo to my real armies, have him go back a sacking route and lose the old chaffey. I love it.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mazz posted:

there's nothing like fort/watchtower type graphics.

What about the encamp-stance graphic, could you use that?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Wafflecopper posted:

What about the encamp-stance graphic, could you use that?

I actually tried it once I found it cause it seemed perfect, but for some reason the static version doesn't use its textures correctly like the character version does, and they aren't interchangeable since once is a .bmd file and the other .csc. I am going to edit the texture at some point to get rid of the non-functioning mask and just color it with my mediocre PS skills and use it anyway , but it sucks that it doesn't work as well as it could.

Also, I can't use it for coastal towns because it projects it half under the river and looks terrible. It's really annoying. The whole mod process has been trying different ways of forcing things to work and working around really strict rules/limited assets. One example being that the settlements automatically level up when you give them new buildings through coded/scripts, and mousing over the icon would crash the game since it had no buildings to occupy the slot :suicide:. I've had to change my setup a couple times when I realized things just weren't going to work the way I was trying to do it.

Also, I've been playing VC and since magic is really underwhelming I messed with the spells myself after looking at Molay's mod.

There is a certain point where Nehek caps out the existing unit HP and just starts respawning the entire unit en masse if you raise the values too high, lol. It makes VCs really fun though when you have a bunch of OP spells to cast.

On Molay's, he's a little sloppy with his tables leaving in lines he probably doesn't need to, but most of his changes seem pretty well done and reasonably balanced. I'd use it if you haven't tried it yet and like using magic characters.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 16, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Chaos just isn't clicking. Even during the rare battles that I actually bother to resolve manually none of their units are standing out to me as fun to use. Their beginning is tedious and a pain to restart when you inevitably gently caress something up. The farthest I've made it was turn 100 or so, when Sarthorael spawns, and I had only just started fighting Kislev. I have a premonition. 90% of the fights past that point will be autoresolved siege after autoresolved siege. My enemies will dance around me tauntingly, resettling ruins behind my back as I slowly run out of cities to sack and eventually wither.

I really wanted to like them for how unique they seemed but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish their campaign.

Edit: Is it just me or do Varg and Skaeling do a much better job fighting the Empire & friends when you just leave them alone and don't bother awakening anyone? After 100 turns my vassals never left Norsca. The old tribes would be out kicking rear end by now.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 16, 2016

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Has anyone managed to do the Thorgrim quest where you ally with the Norscan dwarfs on harder difficulties? They're generally ruins before turn 20. I know there's a secondary option, was just curious.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how do you goons feel about replayability?

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Verranicus posted:

So how do you goons feel about replayability?

You have at least 5 rather distinctly different races that all play differently, the minor faction AI's have some randomization in their starting personality/relationships to you and each other, the map is large enough that you can go to new areas each time, and that's just vanilla, there's already a large number of mods, and a big amount of incoming DLC factions.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Is there a chaos invasion after the one when the first movie plays? I'm wondering if we managed to knock the scripting off track by assassinating Archaon before that happened.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Deified Data posted:

Chaos just isn't clicking. Even during the rare battles that I actually bother to resolve manually none of their units are standing out to me as fun to use. Their beginning is tedious and a pain to restart when you inevitably gently caress something up. The farthest I've made it was turn 100 or so, when Sarthorael spawns, and I had only just started fighting Kislev. I have a premonition. 90% of the fights past that point will be autoresolved siege after autoresolved siege. My enemies will dance around me tauntingly, resettling ruins behind my back as I slowly run out of cities to sack and eventually wither.

I really wanted to like them for how unique they seemed but I'm not sure I'll be able to finish their campaign.

Edit: Is it just me or do Varg and Skaeling do a much better job fighting the Empire & friends when you just leave them alone and don't bother awakening anyone? After 100 turns my vassals never left Norsca. The old tribes would be out kicking rear end by now.
I once spotted Baersonling in Estalia, so no to your last question.

Chaos is the man-for-man strength and discipline of Rome in Attila's horde. It took me 260 turns to win a long campaign and quite honestly I wasn't enjoying their endgame nearly as much as I am VC's at ~180. I was auto-resolving and just building new giants because I had nowhere else to spend money.

xthetenth posted:

Is there a chaos invasion after the one when the first movie plays? I'm wondering if we managed to knock the scripting off track by assassinating Archaon before that happened.
Once the movie plays you just have to knock out all the Warriors of Chaos stacks. Archaon can only be wounded until their last stack is dead at which point he's gone for good.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Shumagorath posted:

Once the movie plays you just have to knock out all the Warriors of Chaos stacks. Archaon can only be wounded until their last stack is dead at which point he's gone for good.

gently caress. I was hoping that because it triggered at turn 61 it wasn't soon enough yet, I really wanted to try my orcs against them but my friend's VCs have devoured all but one stack.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

You're doing God's work Mazz

I have prayer bonerz for you, that's for sure.

As for that lightning strike stuff, I said I only ever got the first point in it.. I have no guilt.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

xthetenth posted:

gently caress. I was hoping that because it triggered at turn 61 it wasn't soon enough yet, I really wanted to try my orcs against them but my friend's VCs have devoured all but one stack.
If it makes you feel any better my friend IS Chaos in our co-op game so no headbutting Archaon for me. On the other hand he's able to fund my war against the stunties while sacking the north.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

Gitro posted:

Is it possible to win before the chaos invasion? It looks like it keeps those conditions checked since I guess the faction isn't actually on the map.

Yes, actually this happened to me on my Empire campaign on turn 79 and i was very surprised. choas had started it's invasion meaning it has +1 corruption everywhere but archeon had not spawned. I managed to eliminate all the warriors of chaos stacks while also holding the correct provinces and in a single turn I won both the short campaign and long campaign. 50 turns later I killed Archeon.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Truecon420 posted:

Yes, actually this happened to me on my Empire campaign on turn 79 and i was very surprised. choas had started it's invasion meaning it has +1 corruption everywhere but archeon had not spawned. I managed to eliminate all the warriors of chaos stacks while also holding the correct provinces and in a single turn I won both the short campaign and long campaign. 50 turns later I killed Archeon.

Neat. Kind of wish I'd put in the effort because there's no way I'm bothering to finish my empire campaign. Just grinding out ever-fleeing stacks of norscans while waiting for the invasion to start and watching the north slowly get razed because I can't actually defend everywhere for my idiot allies, and I really don't want to grind out resettling all those provinces once I'm done. It was a fun 80-90 turns, anyway.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anyone else miss being able to conquer all territories? I find coloring a whole map my color appealing.

EDIT: Some goons mentioned setting battle difficulty to normal/hard and campaign to very hard for a good balance. How do Is et the difficulties separately?

Verranicus fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Jun 16, 2016

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Anyone else miss being able to conquer all territories? I find coloring a whole map my color appealing.

EDIT: Some goons mentioned setting battle difficulty to normal/hard and campaign to very hard for a good balance. How do Is et the difficulties separately?

Pick your starting difficulty, then open the menu once you're in game and go to campaign settings. Set it to taste from there. So intuitive!

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I know the claimed reason for unified difficulty is approachability, but they could just make two different buttons. They have a UI team, it wouldn't be hard.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Verranicus posted:

No, regional occupation is a huge gain for the gameplay because having to conquer everything was a titanic boring slog.

If you really miss it, there's a mod to bring it back.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
So two things.

1. With a mod that removes AI cheats installed, I am taking over the human territories as VC without starting any wars. Straight up just using hero actions and rebellions. Also, the Greenskins have taken out the dwarves for me, it's kind of scary knowing they own almost all possible strongholds on the east side.

2. I can't tell if the orc AI is dumb on purpose or not. They go through my lands using March, not underground. So while he tries to fight a war against the rest of the world, he can't actually send any units since they would die before reaching altdorf.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I have to be doing something wrong here, I've never had so much trouble at the start of TW campaign. Playing on hard/hard as Orcs and no matter what I get my rear end kicked by the two Dwarf factions you start at war with. If I try to attack the Dwarves Barak Varr comes in and attacks me while my army is away, if I go after Barak Varr its the Dwarves.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Go force the nearby orcs to hand over their territory one way or the other, then send your WAARGHs over to the dwarves once you got enough fightiness.

Use lots of arrer boys against the dwarves.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nasgate posted:

1. With a mod that removes AI cheats installed, I am taking over the human territories as VC without starting any wars. Straight up just using hero actions and rebellions.

That must be really fun

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Nasgate posted:

So two things.

1. With a mod that removes AI cheats installed, I am taking over the human territories as VC without starting any wars. Straight up just using hero actions and rebellions. Also, the Greenskins have taken out the dwarves for me, it's kind of scary knowing they own almost all possible strongholds on the east side.

2. I can't tell if the orc AI is dumb on purpose or not. They go through my lands using March, not underground. So while he tries to fight a war against the rest of the world, he can't actually send any units since they would die before reaching altdorf.
The AI is dumb because it's a few lines of code that doesn't understand anything about what it's doing. If you remove the various cheats that try to help it compensate for the fact that it literally cannot think, I expect the AI will appear to be even dumber than usual.

The complaints about AI are really kind of strange. AI is really, really hard. Maybe if CA hired a bunch of the world's leading machine-learning experts they could train some colossal AlphaGo-style deep learning system that runs on a cluster of a couple thousand GPUs to play the game to a reasonable standard.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Does Radious increase the general difficulty of the game? Everyone always talks it up so I installed it from the get-go but I'm thinking it might be part of why I'm having such trouble when I did fine in other TW games.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Verranicus posted:

Does Radious increase the general difficulty of the game? Everyone always talks it up so I installed it from the get-go but I'm thinking it might be part of why I'm having such trouble when I did fine in other TW games.

Honestly, I'd say it's probably best to give the campaigns a try at least once without any major overhaul mods. The overall pacing and (strategic-level) balance actually turned out to be pretty decent this time around even in the unmodded vanilla game. Radious and the like shift everything around pretty severely, so it's probably best to first have an impression of how the base game plays like before trying big mods.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Verranicus posted:

Don't play the radious mod.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Verranicus posted:

I've never played it but from what I've read about it I cant say it sounds good.

Its not fixing something fundamentally broken and unintentional, or some poor implementation of an idea, it's doing stuff like ensuring most units fight to the death, despite breaking units and making them run being a core game mechanic.

It would be like modding Call of Duty to make every gun the same stats wise. Sure some people may like that but a core concept of the franchise and the game is that they are all different.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
About twenty turns into a Hard Chaos campaign. Here's a thought: has anyone considered simply ignoring the Norscans? They might not like you initially but they also hate the Empire. So perhaps a viable strategy would be to, after the initial bearonling stuff, cut across Kislev and go along the northern/western coast of the Empire? Eventually as you continue to attack the Empire, Enemy of My Enemy rules will apply and they will militarily ally. Even if they don't like you, they will still fight, and the Empire is closest.

Might be a bit too late for me since I already kinda sacked the Varg, but maybe I'll just turn a blind eye to them from now on.

Hellcannons are really good if you are willing to cheese it, it seems like. The main thing is that there's only one projectile, when you manually direct it, you shoot with 100% accuracy. You can imagine how amazing this is during sieges - especially given how knocking units off the walls kills them.

Need to figure out how I am gonna develop this horde.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
radious does try to balance some things he sees as problems, as well as adds in more units to fill certain gaps.

The biggest things is increased morale so battles last 5 or 10 minutes instead of 2 or 3. He also decreased army upkeep so you are going to see a lot more armies about instead of winning a greenskin game with 2 armies.

He has also recently done a pass at spells since he felt they were not strong enough when upgraded.

Some of the weirder things he has added to the game are black ork archers, dwarf rangers, and helhein gunners.

He has added units to greenskins and dwarves and has now moved on to chaos. His friends have added units to empire and VC which he has also included. Lol at vampire blood knights.

His change log can be found here and it has pictures of the new units he added
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2203-Radious-Total-War-Mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Verranicus posted:

At least on SA, I think only a small minority of people talk up Radious. The general consensus here seems to be 'don't use Radious mods'.

• Locked thread