Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, against the going price for LinkedIn and Candy Crush, was the Star Wars sale to Disney at 4 billion a steal? And it is it the only multi-billion property that will realistically turn a profit after it changes hands?

Actually yeah $4 billion is definitely a steal for an iconic sci-fi property. And Star Wars in particular is merchandising gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

JamesKPolk posted:

There's a rationality to it from a certain perspective... (or all capital in general is delusional).

(Bolding mine).

Not to say there isn't a bubble, but this explains why a bit.

The one glut capital does not abide is a glut of capital itself.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Chinese borrowers told to post nude photos as collateral

Chinese loan sharks are demanding nude photos as collateral from female borrowers which can be used for blackmail if they fall behind on their repayments.

The aggressive tactics are an example of the drastic debt recovery measures that are being employed in the slowing Chinese economy.

The democratisation of finance in China via peer-to-peer lenders and the vast shadow banking system, with interest rates sometimes topping 30 per cent, have proved an inflammatory mix and fuelled a surge in souring loans.

Female college students in the southern province of Guangdong were told to hand over naked photos of themselves holding their ID cards, with lenders threatening to make them public if they failed to repay their microloans, according to the Nandu Daily, the local newspaper.

While these loans were brokered on Jiedaibao, the P2P online lending platform denied direct involvement as the two parties subsequently agreed terms over another channel. “This is an illegal offline trade between victims and lenders who did it by making use of the platform,” a representative said when contacted by the Financial Times.

Blackmailing with nude photos joins a long list of threats including property destruction and bodily injury committed by loan sharks attempting to collect unpaid loans.

“If they borrow from banks there is no threat to personal safety. But if they borrowed from private lenders, especially high-interest lenders, it can happen,” said bankruptcy lawyer Han Chuanhua of the Zhongzi Law Offices in Beijing.

“If they can’t repay sometimes the high-interest lender sends people to their homes. Mostly they threaten, but sometimes they take action. These types of people don’t go through legal channels.”

One of Mr Han’s clients once had his legs broken by thugs reporting to private lenders. Others have had people come to their offices to “bash things up”.

Shadow banking funds flow from lending rings formed by local entrepreneurs or individuals who attract and pool capital for lending to those shut out of the conventional banking system. Online P2P lending sites have allowed the broader public to become both borrowers and lenders.

Loans carrying interest rates greater than four times official rates are considered “loan shark” lending in China and the creditors’ rights are not protected under Chinese law, according to Wen Daoquan, a lawyer writing in an online post on disputes involving high-interest loans. Loan sharking itself is not illegal but collectors can’t use “inappropriate means”, he wrote.

Migrant workers, with their unstable employment and reluctance to involve police, are especially vulnerable. “If they can’t repay they usually harass their families,” said a representative at a popular legal hotline for migrant workers.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/cce6d400-32c6-11e6-ad39-3fee5ffe5b5b.html

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Now that's free market innovation. And some people still think China is communist..

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, against the going price for LinkedIn and Candy Crush, was the Star Wars sale to Disney at 4 billion a steal? And it is it the only multi-billion property that will realistically turn a profit after it changes hands?

LinkedIn has 100 million paying users somehow, which MS is going to spend the next 10 years data mining.

Dell still exists to sell computers to companies, the people that pay for things.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Paul MaudDib posted:

Actually yeah $4 billion is definitely a steal for an iconic sci-fi property. And Star Wars in particular is merchandising gold.
They're probably going to clear a bill on BB8 merchandise alone.

gently caress that adorable rolling egg.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

sbaldrick posted:

LinkedIn has 100 million paying users somehow, which MS is going to spend the next 10 years data mining.

Dell still exists to sell computers to companies, the people that pay for things.

Dell reminds me of BlackBerry, actually. As much of a joke as BB is, I was just handed a new Classic last week and I'm rather impressed with how tightly integrated it is with Outlook and all the phone in meeting software and whatnot.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Solkanar512 posted:

Dell reminds me of BlackBerry, actually. As much of a joke as BB is, I was just handed a new Classic last week and I'm rather impressed with how tightly integrated it is with Outlook and all the phone in meeting software and whatnot.

I'd say dell is probably a bit like microsoft before it got taken over by marketing guys out of touch with everything.
Their niche is business and the less glamorous corporate and productivity market now. They still sell to consumer but it's not their bread and butter anymore.
Firewalls and refurbed desktops aren't sexy but there's a hell of a lot more business there than their alienware line.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Only in Silicon Valley: Last night I ordered takeout delivered using OrderAhead. Everything went well, they had a jazzy Website that texted me when the order had been picked up, the food arrived reasonably hot. Later I got the customary satisfaction survey.

It started with a notice that OrderAhead was hiring.

quote:

OrderAhead is hiring!
Interested in joining us? We've got many positions available!
Product Engineers Infrastructure Engineers Account Executives Drivers & Bikers
Now, if this had led with "Drivers and Bikers", it wouldn't have been that surprising, except that it was the first paragraph in the receipt, before the list of what I'd ordered and paid for. But the first thing OrderAhead wants me to know about my Indian takeout is that they're looking for engineers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Literally the only people I know that use third-party delivery apps are in engineering or software development, so that's probably great marketing.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
Sounds like you want that indian takeout, but not badly enough to get an engineering degree and help make it happen.

Millennials sheesh

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

In my area, more and more restaurants have an order page as part of their website that is serviced by a second-party delivery service. Instead of going to (say) Waiters on Wheels, you go to MyFavoriteIndian, type in an order, and Waiters on Wheels or OrderAhead or whatever does the actual pickup and delivery. Along the same lines, some restaurant web pages (ghastly Flash-based things) have links to OpenTable for reservations.

e: also, I'm a disabled Boomer with a double major in CS and English. Bite me.
:smug:

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jun 16, 2016

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Friend of mine once had an ad for engineer hiring show up in his Uber app. Not sure how they decided to show it to him, travel to tech industry related locations maybe?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In my area, more and more restaurants have an order page as part of their website that is serviced by a second-party delivery service. Instead of going to (say) Waiters on Wheels, you go to MyFavoriteIndian, type in an order, and Waiters on Wheels or OrderAhead or whatever does the actual pickup and delivery. Along the same lines, some restaurant web pages (ghastly Flash-based things) have links to OpenTable for reservations.

e: also, I'm a disabled Boomer with a double major in CS and English. Bite me.
:smug:

Well, the order service thing is common because they're a restaurant, not a software developer shop. The PCI compliance requirements for handling credit cards are a pain in the loving rear end. Grubhub and the like have been around for quite a while and have a solid business model - we take those pains away in return for a cut.

As for contracting the delivery... Why not I guess? Maybe there's some cost benefit or something, like they'd rather pay a fixed percent than hire a delivery guy directly. Or maybe the delivery guy is working for three different nearby stores and combining delivery?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
If you don't do a lot of deliveries, having a delivery person on staff doesn't make sense. 3rd party delivery is one thing that makes a lot of sense.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Paul MaudDib posted:

As for contracting the delivery... Why not I guess? Maybe there's some cost benefit or something, like they'd rather pay a fixed percent than hire a delivery guy directly. Or maybe the delivery guy is working for three different nearby stores and combining delivery?

nm posted:

If you don't do a lot of deliveries, having a delivery person on staff doesn't make sense. 3rd party delivery is one thing that makes a lot of sense.

Yep, contracting delivery to a larger entity makes so much sense for most businesses. You don't have to deal with absences, vehicle maintenance/failure, or variation in the amount of deliveries, so you are able to profit from a peak in demand much easier. The flexibility is probably the most important part, but not having to concentrate on things outside of your core business is big as well.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Gail Wynand posted:

Friend of mine once had an ad for engineer hiring show up in his Uber app. Not sure how they decided to show it to him, travel to tech industry related locations maybe?
He may have used a coupon code provided at a tech conference.

People who don't live in Silicon Valley really have no idea what lengths they're going to for talent these days.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

It's going to be loving awesome when it all goes belly up and there's a bunch of unemployed engineers who can't afford the lifestyle they were promised when they chose CS in college.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's going to be loving awesome when it all goes belly up and there's a bunch of unemployed engineers who can't afford the lifestyle they were promised when they chose CS in college.

Fortunately Uber can transition them all into great contracting jobs where they can set their own hours as drivers! :haw:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

My friend gets his dog massages but can't find anything to cut to fill his IRA for the year.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

That's one of the reasons why I love Minneapolis, salaries are almost as high, you get to work on interesting things (medical devices, finance, SDS, SDN), awesome summers and for some reason people don't want to move here for jobs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mosquitoes?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

ShadowHawk posted:

He may have used a coupon code provided at a tech conference.

People who don't live in Silicon Valley really have no idea what lengths they're going to for talent these days.

If they'd offer remote work for SV money, they'd find a lot more people ;)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

karthun posted:

That's one of the reasons why I love Minneapolis, salaries are almost as high, you get to work on interesting things (medical devices, finance, SDS, SDN), awesome summers and for some reason people don't want to move here for jobs.

I've been to Minneapolis in February. I know why people don't want to move there for jobs.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Not the biggest loss when we'll be paid merely as well as other, 'real' engineers. That's what I was expecting when I went into CS in the first place. That we can make way, way more was a pleasant surprise.

karthun posted:

Depends on what companies you're talking about, but salaries probably aren't almost as high. I mean, for a given company that has offices in both places, you're probably right, but there tend to be more high-paying companies in the major tech hubs.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, I'm at a Michigan startup, and we don't pay anything like Silicon Valley money. On the other hand, the culture is quite a bit different, and my apartment is a ten minute walk from my office, and all sorts of other benefits.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

People who think their third tier market pays as well as Silicon Valley have no idea what compensation is like here, especially for people with experience or in-demand skill sets.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

blah_blah posted:

People who think their third tier market pays as well as Silicon Valley have no idea what compensation is like here, especially for people with experience or in-demand skill sets.

It's because Americans are stupid and refuse to talk about how much money they make, which literally only benefits employers

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

rscott posted:

It's because Americans are stupid and refuse to talk about how much money they make, which literally only benefits employers

I once tried to nail down what I was making at a job in relation to my peers (and even subordinates sometimes) because I was pretty sure I was getting screwed on pay. I got yelled at real good by my boss for that. I was, of course, getting incredibly underpaid.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

rscott posted:

It's because you can get fired for doing this. Sure, that's illegal, but you'd actually have to get the Labor board to enforce it, and if you do you'll be blacklisted from your profession for the rest of your life.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

yes the place where water can't be liquid outside for 10 months out of the year has a mosquito problem

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Ratoslov posted:

It's because you can get fired for doing this. Sure, that's illegal, but you'd actually have to get the Labor board to enforce it, and if you do you'll be blacklisted from your profession for the rest of your life.

Meh I was able to get the clause covering talking about your wages removed from our employee handbook after printing out a copy of the Taft Hartley act and putting it on HRs desk. I know people stuck in retail hell wouldn't have much of a chance but if you're a skilled professional you have a lot more leverage.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yes the place where water can't be liquid outside for 10 months out of the year has a mosquito problem

Mosquitos are pretty much the state bird of every state in the upper midwest.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

rscott posted:

Actually yeah, I also think this is a pretty bad thing. If a friend makes twice as much as you it would be nice to know that up front when comparing yourself to them [financially]. Also more discussion of money would lead to better financial literacy in general.

Related: Regulations that require top company salaries to be public may very well be helping to inflate CEO/executive salary.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

a foolish pianist posted:

Mosquitos are pretty much the state bird of every state in the upper midwest.

it's always hilarious when people who have never been to the south bitch about mosquitoes

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

:allears:

Northern mosquitoes are actually way more aggressive exactly because they can only be active a couple of months a year. Which is what I found out when I made the mistake of just going on a hike to a nice Canadian forest without any bug spray in the summer and a mosquito bit me through my shirt.

For reference, I grew up in the Middle East, and thought mosquitoes were a problem there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:allears:

Northern mosquitoes are actually way more aggressive exactly because they can only be active a couple of months a year. Which is what I found out when I made the mistake of just going on a hike to a nice Canadian forest without any bug spray in the summer and a mosquito bit me through my shirt.

For reference, I grew up in the Middle East, and thought mosquitoes were a problem there.

Counterpoint: none of our mosquitoes have malaria. They're bastards but they won't give you horrifying diseases.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

blah_blah posted:

Yeah but if your rent is $3000 a month, how much are you really able to put away? It seems really crappy to have a high income as a W2 employee -- you get taxed like crazy, your rent is nuts, cost of living is generally high. It makes more sense to me to express compensation as a ratio of salary to cost of living.

In mid tier cities, some people actually have the opportunity to afford homes and kids on single incomes. People can have a parent stay home with the kid. That alone is probably worth more than what a SF/SV salary can offer.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

neonnoodle posted:

Yeah but if your rent is $3000 a month, how much are you really able to put away? It seems really crappy to have a high income as a W2 employee -- you get taxed like crazy, your rent is nuts, cost of living is generally high. It makes more sense to me to express compensation as a ratio of salary to cost of living.

In mid tier cities, some people actually have the opportunity to afford homes and kids on single incomes. People can have a parent stay home with the kid. That alone is probably worth more than what a SF/SV salary can offer.

I got a two bedroom apartment with heat and water included for $975 a month.

I think a lot of people are failing to consider that; money just doesn't go as far there. Personally I hear stories of people paying $800 to $900 a month for living situations like "pitching a tent on somebody's porch" or "living in a box in the living room" and respond with "yeah, how about no."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

blah_blah posted:

Glassdoor claims Minneapolis averages 78k for "Software Engineer" Sorry HP while San Francisco averages 110k. National average is, apparently, 95k. So Minneapolis people are getting screwed, but maybe cost of living makes up for it? I'm not sure comparable the averages are. For the Bay Area I suspect the distribution has a really long higher wage tail.

fake e: I was beaten.

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 17, 2016