Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I notice we still haven't discovered the Atlas III's negative quirk.

Here's hoping it stays that way :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

The Merry Marauder posted:

In a surprise attack by an elite force against an enemy garrison fed in piecemeal, anything less would be disappointing.

Your math is somewhat slanted, but in any event, if this is a PGC or the like, its fate is nearly irrelevant - the strategic intent of this raid was to force the Clanners to reassign line units to strengthen rear-echelon garrisons.

No, this margin of success wasn't to be expected, and the Hawks aren't an elite force by any measure. Aside from a couple of standouts the company is a bunch of 4/5s in reasonably-designed ~2k BV workhorses. Inflicting the number of losses they have while so far losing a single Chameleon in return isn't a routine accomplishment. Without taking anything away from the players, they really may have had the best shooting dice the thread has ever seen, and a big part of the reason the Clans haven't been able to build up an overwhelming presence so far is because they've been killing them at an unprecedented rate. Duncan is a pretty good shot in a scary mech, but four kills in two turns is not at all an expected outcome and rolling like that has been a huge part of keeping the players from getting mobbed (aside from Duncan, you've got the ACE Lucerne getting its head blown off, a loving Revenant blowing an assault mech in half entirely aside from the Boomdog having outrageous luck on its explosion, and not really any misfortune of that sort happening to the players). If you ran this same scenario again you almost certainly wouldn't see the casualties being so one-sided.

Admittedly, there's still going to be a shitload of dice coming down range next turn, so let's not count our chickens before the hatch, but this really has been a victory far beyond expectations.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 16, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tempest_56 posted:

This, however, I entirely agree on. What happens to that McKenna is going to have massive impact, most likely.

Seriously hoping for Amaris boarding and capturing it, given that the IS just doesn't have naval ships in general. That would be an amazing turn of events and suddenly sets the stage for them to far more seriously threaten the FWL.

Podima posted:

You are doing an amazing job with this scenario. Don't sweat it.

Absolutely this. This is an exciting scenario and just keeps on chugging :toot:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I loving weep for the players in the next scenario because I don't think this crew left any 6s in the reserves.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Pattonesque posted:

In Duncan Kalma, I believe we have found somebody finer than Caesar Steiner

Watch it, butthead.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Copperhead's fine. I hosed up and miscounted hexes, and I'm too tired (and sick of making mistakes) to figure out if any of the hits it took were legitimate, so it took no hits. :confuoot:

Wow, that changes quite a lot. Copperhead should still retreat, but now it can provide some covering fire while doing so and doesn't need to worry as much about getting its leg blown off next turn!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

Has he tried to reverse yet?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Voyager I posted:

Admittedly, there's still going to be a shitload of dice coming down range next turn, so let's not count our chickens before the hatch, but this really has been a victory far beyond expectations.

Your expectations, perhaps. When the head of state of humanity's most powerful polity takes personal notice of you and gives you hardware the Inner Sphere could not even imagine five years previous, you have an awfully high bar.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

The Merry Marauder posted:

Your expectations, perhaps. When the head of state of humanity's most powerful polity takes personal notice of you and gives you hardware the Inner Sphere could not even imagine five years previous, you have an awfully high bar.

Imagine, nothing. Five years ago one of those Revenants blowing itself up could have been some noble family's centuries-old priceless heirloom. The most terrifying thing about the RWA is their ability and willingness to throw all that hardware into the meat grinder.

Once they solve their manpower problem they'll be unstoppable.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
While their relative disregard for the equipment is shocking compared to the rest of the IS, do remember this is a life or death issue for Amaris and his nation.

For all we know this could well be a planned pyrrhic war. More a bluff than a show of force.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The dice gods smile upon Amaris relentlessly trolling the clans.

I didn't have a very strong opinion when the Theater vote came through but hot drat this campaign has been bloody outstanding PTN.

Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

Is the Hellstar an ace or is Mechwarrior Ath really just gonna stand there and take potshots? It's not even a bad idea because the Hellstar is such a tough zombie too...

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Picard Day posted:

Is the Hellstar an ace or is Mechwarrior Ath really just gonna stand there and take potshots? It's not even a bad idea because the Hellstar is such a tough zombie too...
Ath didn't move last turn either - He is at medium range of just about all of us, and this way can fire four ER PPCs indefinitely.

Mechwarrior Ath doesn't need Ace, and is bored with this battle (In a hurricane, with giant explosions, lightning, and whirling tornadoes of rain).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It does amuse me that they gave grampa deathwish the indestructible sniper zombie from hell.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

We need people to start designating their exit turns and hexes so we don't jam up.

I'm jumping to 2336 to pick up Icepick, then jumping to exit hexes 2634 or 2735 the following turn, firing at the light in 2339 who is hopefully paid up on his life insurance.

Dadlas should leave this round i reckon, it would be lame if he got headcapped in the last round

The Atlas can only get to 2634 this turn since his back is facing the extraction. Will being in that hex on the turn he extracts interfere with your movement?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Great Beer posted:

The Atlas can only get to 2634 this turn since his back is facing the extraction. Will being in that hex on the turn he extracts interfere with your movement?
It shouldn't be a problem.

PTN can let us know if it is different, but here's how I see this working:

Next turn: Mechs move into extraction zone, shooting phase happens, enemy Mechs move
Following turn: Mechs in extraction zone leave, while new Mechs can take their place simultaneously.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ardlen posted:

It shouldn't be a problem.

PTN can let us know if it is different, but here's how I see this working:

Next turn: Mechs move into extraction zone, shooting phase happens, enemy Mechs move
Following turn: Mechs in extraction zone leave, while new Mechs can take their place simultaneously.

This is correct.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Fantastic round.

Noone picked up Gordon though. :v:

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 16, 2016

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah if it's going to be three turns I'll wait to go last, but I should hand off icepick on turn two if that is possible, it would be hilarious yet tragic if my arm got blown off while I was carrying him.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Voyager I posted:

Without taking anything away from the players, they really may have had the best shooting dice the thread has ever seen, and a big part of the reason the Clans haven't been able to build up an overwhelming presence so far is because they've been killing them at an unprecedented rate. Duncan is a pretty good shot in a scary mech, but four kills in two turns is not at all an expected outcome and rolling like that has been a huge part of keeping the players from getting mobbed (aside from Duncan, you've got the ACE Lucerne getting its head blown off, a loving Revenant blowing an assault mech in half entirely aside from the Boomdog having outrageous luck on its explosion, and not really any misfortune of that sort happening to the players). If you ran this same scenario again you almost certainly wouldn't see the casualties being so one-sided.

Yeah, the team and dice have been an amazing combo. Very tense setup by PTN.
Best mission yet!

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jun 16, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

One suggestion for the Lancelot: You can intentionally fall prone (1 mp) to shake off the infantry, stand up again (2 mp), and repeat until the infantry fall off or you run out of mp. If they fall off soon enough, you could even move and shoot the infantry. Falling prone like this will hurt you, but so will swarming infantry.

If you do this, I would suggest coordinating with the Komodo so it can obliterate the infantry during the shooting phase.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 16, 2016

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Champion can still hold out for another turn, could go with the second or final group. I'm thinking of having it back up to Hex 2934 and shooting at the piranha and locust.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Just a friendly reminder that the Hellstar's guns reach the southwestern edge of the extraction zone at 5 + target movement. And potentially up to 6 hostile mechs can spoiler into the extraction zone the turn after next, and unless the zone is filled up this turn the Grendel can make it to all but the hex farthest back and get everyone killed.

Might want to coordinate the exit closely.

Edit: eheh, the Blood Kite pilot is terrified. Poor guy, I think he was the only one to shoot at the Emergency Responder.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 16, 2016

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That was a turn :stare:

So Dadlas for Goon MVP.
I'm still not sure who the hostile MVP was - I'm guessing it'll turn out to be the hellstar or the lucerne.

I'll probably stick around for another turn or two and try to use my LPL to help a little, or just in case we need a fast jumper. But when it reaches critical point I'll jump safely out. I'm remaining in jumpjet range of the exit at all times now.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

mcjomar posted:

I'm still not sure who the hostile MVP was - I'm guessing it'll turn out to be the hellstar or the lucerne.

Heavy Jump Infantry 2's sole survivor for the sheer chutzpah to kick the anti-infantry Komodo in the shin.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

Olothreutes posted:

Has he tried to reverse yet?

I have.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

mcjomar posted:

That was a turn :stare:

So Dadlas for Goon MVP.

Maybe Goshawk 5 for doing his best to Not Put Up with Any More Trueborn Bullshit and managing to block you guys for a while, especially the turn before last? Or the Jump Infantry Squads for giving such a fright when they showed up, delaying GoonMercenary Company for a couple of turns only to be swept aside afterwards?

Lucerne definitely was scary though. Depends on how much you guys get shot by the other enemy mechs as you queue up to retreat through the tunnel.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I'll stop spamming on this, but it'll be the Grendel if the five withdrawal hexes it can make it to aren't blocked, and it survives the fire before that (edit: or if a mech goes down in those fives hexes and it survives and jumps there).

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 16, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Ok, so at least we know the negative quirk on the Atlas isn't "legs fall off when in reverse."

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Olothreutes posted:

Ok, so at least we know the negative quirk on the Atlas isn't "legs fall off when in reverse."

Negative Quirk: Manly Powers Surging: 'Mech is unable to withdraw from battle if there is more killing left to do

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively "Negative quirk: unable to fire that last round - just when you need it to".

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

It could also be a campaign level thing like difficult to maintain/repair and the Atlas III won't be ready yet when the next mission starts.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So, Kaz's people are all pissed (1st Star), Korn's people are all over the drat place emotionally (2nd Star), Nestea's people are hangry, which is either a mistake or an accurate reflection of the Star (3rd) as a whole, the Lights (4th star) really do not want to loving be here (except Se), Sharlene's people are all professional (5th Star), Joop's people think they've got this (6th Star), Posavatz thinks his Star isn't worth the shots being placed on it (7th Star), while the Infantry are probably too busy trying not to die in the storm to care about anything else right now.

This raid isn't that big a deal: all the Clan pilots are already on the poo poo list, and most of their mechs and fighters will be salvaged...but those transports were a total loss, and those were probably the things keeping this base supplied. To keep this base functional after the battle, they'll either need to find some spare transports, or use dropships, which is an expensive and risky idea. Add to this the potential Boom Dog threats hiding in the area, and the base may not even be worth keeping, which would be a terrible embarrassment for the Clans...especially if this raid really does lead to one of the Clan ships getting boarded.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Snow Ravens will go completely apeshit if one of their loving McKennas gets boarded. The warships are the only thing keeping them alive and a McKenna is basically priceless at this point.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

Negative Quirk: Cupholder is too small to contain all the tears of impotent Clanner rage.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Regarding the possibility of boarding action, didn't we skip that scenario. I have vague recollections of failing horribly as part of the Wolverines training scenario. Will that affect the chances of the boarding going ahead?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Perestroika posted:

Negative Quirk: Cupholder is too small to contain all the tears of impotent Clanner rage.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Z the IVth posted:

Regarding the possibility of boarding action, didn't we skip that scenario. I have vague recollections of failing horribly as part of the Wolverines training scenario. Will that affect the chances of the boarding going ahead?

If I remember correctly PTN scrubbed it because the whole battle armor scenario was a horrible mess to run.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

thetruegentleman posted:

but those transports were a total loss, and those were probably the things keeping this base supplied.

Wait, did I miss something? What transports?

e: Oh that's right those Anhurs, forgot about them and they weren't on the stat sheets any more (presumably due to all being dead, which is quite reasonable)

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

RA Rx posted:

Just a friendly reminder that the Hellstar's guns reach the southwestern edge of the extraction zone at 5 + target movement. And potentially up to 6 hostile mechs can spoiler into the extraction zone the turn after next, and unless the zone is filled up this turn the Grendel can make it to all but the hex farthest back and get everyone killed.

Might want to coordinate the exit closely.

This is key for us to remember, yeah. PTN is absolutely going to try to use those lights to block our escape route. They need to die/get blocked or we're going to end up with one in the tunnel.

• Locked thread