Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt anyone would want stock whose sale Laurie could singlehandedly cockblock. Anyway, it's hard to feel too sorry for Elrich since he's been such an stupid rear end to everyone, as entertaining as it has been.

Also Laurie has been friendly to the whole team lately and we needed a reminder that she's still actually a big loving shark who is going to snap at blood in the water without an ounce of thought.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
So, I just found out that the SV production team actually worked with a real company on the Pied Piper Appliance Box. It's a hyper-converged infrastructure start-up called Simplivity, and they have a bunch of blog posts I thought some may find interesting:

https://www.simplivity.com/blog/category/silicon-valley/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Laurie's made it clear in the past that she hates Erlich (or finds him unpleasant, whatever), so why wouldn't she bite at the first opportunity to gently caress him over?

grahf987
May 11, 2009
I think its a clever turn around for T.J. Miller's character. He was just kind of stagnate in this season and this brings him back into the group. As befuddled as he is about actually working, PR is his thing, not that he is necessarily good at it. Now if they can find a way to bring Bighead in the group then I'm for it as well. He is the Homer Simpson of this show, it's impossible to hate him.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I dislike Erlich for him bankrupting Bighead, it was such a dick move it immediately turned my perception of Erlich from a big talking guy who is still a bro to this massive douche who'll ruin his friend's future just so he could momentarily feel like a big shot.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

grahf987 posted:

I think its a clever turn around for T.J. Miller's character. He was just kind of stagnate in this season and this brings him back into the group. As befuddled as he is about actually working, PR is his thing, not that he is necessarily good at it. Now if they can find a way to bring Bighead in the group then I'm for it as well. He is the Homer Simpson of this show, it's impossible to hate him.

I hate Bighead. He's an idiot whose major achievement at tech corporation Hooli was a big potato gun...that he broke..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroQCyWwEgE

He bought a big loving boat just because he thought it was cool. He overspent on a house with money he didn't earn. While Erlich did waste money on a party, Bighead wasted money to move an in-ground pool a few feet, and then move it back to where it had been in the first place.
He went along with Erlich's insane business ideas (and company name) because he's a weak-willed chump. If Erlich had not come along he still would have been broke within a year.
I can't even "BIGBY" because there's nothing "G" about him.

What I don't understand is why viewers like him at all.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jun 16, 2016

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Bighead is an idiot but I can't hate him. He never deceived or take advantage of anyone. He just fell face-first into piles of money and budget time after time because he is living inside a TV show. Erlich on the other hand knew very well that the deal he was striking with Bighead was way one-sided (even though in his mind he may have thought that he was helping him by getting on board his business).

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Yeah.

Bighead's follies were that of the bumbling Nicest Guy In The World.

Erlich's follies were that of maliciously exploiting the bumbling Nicest Guy In The World.

Poor Bighead, who ran into 'family dynasty' money and then lost it all thanks to having no idea what to do with it and thanks to being easily exploited by someone he thought was a friend with suitable expertise.

Also, umbrella insurance. If you're ever (really loving) loaded, get umbrella insurance.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

Also, umbrella insurance. If you're ever (really loving) loaded, get umbrella insurance.

Seems pretty lovely.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
It covers litigation! And is cheap.

quote:

A more likely scenario in which you would want an umbrella policy is if you want to guard yourself against a hypothetical lawsuit that would go beyond your current coverage. Let’s say you have a $500,000 homeowner’s insurance policy. Your son has a friend over to the house, and the little tyke bangs his head on the diving board in your backyard pool. His family takes you to court and wins $900,000.

If you only had homeowner’s insurance, you would be on the hook for that additional four hundred thousand dollars. But if you had an umbrella policy (coverage of which comes in million dollar increments), you would be insured for the $500,000 of the homeowner’s policy plus $1,000,000 for the umbrella coverage, meaning that our hypothetical diving board accident could lose you $1,500,000 in court before it costs a penny out of your pocket.

The nice thing about an umbrella policy is that it is dirt cheap, relatively speaking. Usually, it costs about $300 per year for each $1,000,000 increment of insurance that you buy, and it can bring you great piece of mind. If you have a guest come over that falls down the stairs and paralyzes himself, it is quite possible that the total costs of the litigation will cost you more than what a $500,000 policy would cover. But if you spent $600 per year to get $2,000,000 worth of umbrella insurance coverage, you would need to lose $2,500,000 before getting affected personally.

When it comes to umbrella insurance, we’re in Benjamin Franklin’s “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure” territory. Conceptually, you can buy yourself great piece of mind for $600 by adding $2,000,000 worth of coverage to any adverse event that comes your way. You do not remember the day that the milkman fell down the steps of your porch as the day that put you on the path to bankruptcy.

http://theconservativeincomeinvestor.com/2013/07/07/if-you-are-rich-you-need-umbrella-insurance/

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh it's only 300€? I imagined a way higher cost when I was reading the other site.

Still, the general lesson from that quote seems to be that in America you should never ever invite anyone into your home.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I dislike Erlich for him bankrupting Bighead, it was such a dick move it immediately turned my perception of Erlich from a big talking guy who is still a bro to this massive douche who'll ruin his friend's future just so he could momentarily feel like a big shot.

Didn't we just learn that it was actually the business manager who bankrupted Bighead?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I don't know how anyone can hate Bighead. Or anyone in this show, really.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I don't get how people are mad at Erlich for taking advantage of an idiot when the show makes it pretty clear that Bighead would have burned through the rest of his money in like six months, tops.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Erlich was an rear end in a top hat for trying to take advantage of Bighead, while Bighead's manager was a super rear end in a top hat for actually going through with taking advantage of Bighead. Stop taking advantage of Bighead :smith:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

quote:

Your son has a friend over to the house, and the little tyke bangs his head on the diving board in your backyard pool. His family takes you to court and wins $900,000.

:lol: This is a thing that happens in the US? You people really need to fix your loving legal system already.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Seriously, how do you guys ever leave the house if sneezing on someone could potentially cost you half a million?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

Seriously, how do you guys ever leave the house if sneezing on someone could potentially cost you half a million?

It's easy to leave the house when your country isn't a destitute European shithole that always smells like urine

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

This is how World War 3 starts.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Last Chance posted:

It's easy to leave the house when your country isn't a destitute European shithole that always smells like urine

But you're at risk of being shot literally anywhere you go?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nexus6 posted:

But you're at risk of being shot literally anywhere you go?

Still better than being at risk for rape-by-migrants when you go out. We could do this all day.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Last Chance posted:

Still better than being at risk for rape-by-migrants when you go out. We could do this all day.

How does it feel being constantly at risk of a start-up tech community suddenly forming up at your town, driving property prices up and driving you away because you work in a non-tech sector and don't own a house?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rexides posted:

Bighead is an idiot but I can't hate him. He never deceived or take advantage of anyone. He just fell face-first into piles of money and budget time after time because he is living inside a TV show. Erlich on the other hand knew very well that the deal he was striking with Bighead was way one-sided (even though in his mind he may have thought that he was helping him by getting on board his business).

He also gave Richard that beta Hooli Phone in season two, so he's certainly loyal.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hmm yes, let's discuss how foreigners rape our white women in this thread about HBO show Silicon Valley, good idea!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Switzerland's doing pretty okay money-wise, it's like our thing. :)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Alright people, let's all calm down here. Let's just all agree that European citizens wish they were US citizens and all US citizens wish we had European legislation and judicial systems.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
America invented the internet!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

And school shootings! 1854 mother-fuckers!

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Alright people, let's all calm down here. Let's just all agree that European citizens wish they were US citizens and all US citizens wish we had European legislation and judicial systems.

That's really what I was getting at. I didn't want it to come to migrant rape, but as a US citizen, it's only natural for me to puff up my chest and start yelling inappropriate comparisons when some Eurotrash starts :smug:ing out about how much better stuff is :smug: :smug:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Didn't we just learn that it was actually the business manager who bankrupted Bighead?

Yeah, and Erlich only spent like 2 mil of Bigheads 20. From what I can tell, Bighead had already burned through most of his money before Erlich or the business manager were ever involved.

grahf987
May 11, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

I hate Bighead. He's an idiot whose major achievement at tech corporation Hooli was a big potato gun...that he broke..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroQCyWwEgE

He bought a big loving boat just because he thought it was cool. He overspent on a house with money he didn't earn. While Erlich did waste money on a party, Bighead wasted money to move an in-ground pool a few feet, and then move it back to where it had been in the first place.
He went along with Erlich's insane business ideas (and company name) because he's a weak-willed chump. If Erlich had not come along he still would have been broke within a year.
I can't even "BIGBY" because there's nothing "G" about him.

What I don't understand is why viewers like him at all.

Yeah but he sleeps in a big bed with his wife. Do you not understand how Homer Simpson works, is your last name Grimes by any chance?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

grahf987 posted:

Yeah but he sleeps in a big bed with his wife. Do you not understand how Homer Simpson works, is your last name Grimes by any chance?

Grimey.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Illinois Smith posted:

Switzerland's doing pretty okay money-wise, it's like our thing. :)

... ... ...

You know what? It's too easy.

Back to the show: I do wonder what it's going to be like when the Pied Piper team realize that the user interface does matter. The next episode's preview hinted at some negative feedback.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 16, 2016

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Last Chance posted:

Act like racist pricks?

Last Chance posted:

That's really what I was getting at. I didn't want it to come to migrant rape, but as a US citizen, it's only natural for me to puff up my chest and start yelling inappropriate comparisons when some Eurotrash starts :smug:ing out about how much better stuff is :smug: :smug:

Aren't all Mexican immigrants rapists according to you people?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Strawman posted:

Act like racist pricks?

Woah now.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Somehow this thread is even shittier than the GoT and TWD threads.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Strawman posted:

Act like racist pricks?

These guys are intolerant assholes, they were mad at nerds for enjoying a TV show earlier. What do you expect? What kind of dumb poo poo American actually believes people wish their country were America?

Erlich barely did anything, he hosed himself over because he didn't review the finances before going on a spending spree. He's already lost out on 4+mil because of his stupidity, I give him a pass because he's as dumb as Bighead, he just doesn't know it.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Somehow this thread is even shittier than the GoT and TWD threads.

Is this fallout from the great tabs vs. spaces debate?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ElCondemn posted:

These guys are intolerant assholes, they were mad at nerds for enjoying a TV show earlier. What do you expect? What kind of dumb poo poo American actually believes people wish their country were America?

Erlich barely did anything, he hosed himself over because he didn't review the finances before going on a spending spree. He's already lost out on 4+mil because of his stupidity, I give him a pass because he's as dumb as Bighead, he just doesn't know it.

Erlich was trying to ride Bighead's coattails and take over half his assets. It was a dick move. Personally, I'm glad they didn't gently caress his character up too much with this and let him redeem himself. For those couple episodes I was really starting to dislike him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Solice Kirsk posted:

Erlich was trying to ride Bighead's coattails and take over half his assets. It was a dick move. Personally, I'm glad they didn't gently caress his character up too much with this and let him redeem himself. For those couple episodes I was really starting to dislike him.

He would certainly continue loving Bighead over for as long as he had money, it's just that his business manager got to him first.

• Locked thread