Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

xthetenth posted:

I got that from my GTX 260 when it was on its way out, and from my 970 but that got fixed. It isn't really normal and is normally failing hardware or something really wrong with your config.

I'm sorry, but this is just not true, and I'm not just picking on you cause I like to (:v:) this is in response to the last few pages. It could be an indication of something wrong with your hardware (for instance, I've had 20 or 30 of them in one week on two 7870's, but they were both bad cards, so it was) but it was very normal for AMD drivers alone to pull this on a huge variety of chipsets for a very long time. I've said I've seen this thousands of times and its true, I've seen it thousands of times on corporate machines on AMD chipsets old and relatively new over years. Every brand and style of computer, every pricepoint you can think of (from a corporate stance anyway) experienced this. You can probably guess what GPU's experienced this at what would be considered a normal rate... Intel :p (and Nvidia). It was so bad that not just my company but my previous company stopped purchasing machines with AMD and started selling off ones that did. We actually just finished that last of that this year with the sole exception of Apple and Firepro GPUs (which never had these issues)

I don't think it happens anymore, I've read many times over the last few months that AMD drivers are now good and updated. But all this backlash against AMD "driver hate" is just utter bullshit. Its been well documented for many years. I'm glad to hear some people haven't experienced it, and frankly most people dont experience driver issues ever for anything, but the rate of failure was significantly higher for AMD. Changing history on this is dumb and anyways, who cares! its fixed now! that should be a good thing. Yes.... its annoying when people parrot, the herd thing is obnoxious, but it just happens to be based in fact this time. Just informing people that its now better is all we can do.

And you know what? If AMD releases good cards nobody cares anymore. The height of driver problems was around during the 7000 and 200 series and people still bought them, it was just a footnote if anything. A small con in the cons list and unless you were burned hard you simply wouldn't care about screen blips (and alt tabbing :supaburn:) or whatever enough to actually switch brands over. If the 480 is on point at the price they say it will be and people can buy them this all fades away.

I've heard that nvidia drivers have had issues this last few updates. I had one issue for one day that was hotfixed and no others. But... I can't call BS and say there haven't been widespread issues even though that is my experience, because its likely well documented.

edit: Lol my "3 day" Newegg shipping, while indeed 3 days, is just regular rear end fedex home delivery. 3 day shipping service level from Fedex can only be "Express" even if in this case it would be express saver and hardly any different than ground. Regardless, I imagine no matter what shipping you ordered you will all be getting your G1 1070 on Saturday unless you're really far from CA

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Lungboy posted:

Is Alternate a good place to buy from? They currently have the Cryorig H7 at half the price anyone else in the UK has it.

I've used them before to buy a case. Everything worked as expected.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

When we were developing OpenGL around 2010, at least, it was much easier to find weird content that would lock up the AMD drivers than the NVIDIA ones. Similarly in our test harnesses working on VR infrastructure.

The AMD driver team was super nice to work with, though, and obviously very smart (at least the ones I interacted with). Way more pleasant than trying to work with NVIDIA's actual driver folks, though the NVIDIA devrel team was great to us.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Pfft, OcUK has had over 1,000 orders for the Strix 1080. They received stock to fulfil 2% of those orders.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'm sorry, but this is just not true, and I'm not just picking on you cause I like to (:v:) this is in response to the last few pages. It could be an indication of something wrong with your hardware (for instance, I've had 20 or 30 of them in one week on two 7870's, but they were both bad cards, so it was) but it was very normal for AMD drivers alone to pull this on a huge variety of chipsets for a very long time. I've said I've seen this thousands of times and its true, I've seen it thousands of times on corporate machines on AMD chipsets old and relatively new over years.

Still all anecdotal :words: at best. I've seen thousands of corporate machines (including the one I'm typing on right now) crash with Intel Graphics Drivers, and Nvidia drivers as well. The last 2 drivers from Nvidia have been horrendous for TDRs if google stats are to be trusted (they also been anecdotally lovely for my SLI setup :v: ).

At the end of the day both companies have made and continue to make lovely drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pretty even split across the entire install base.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Stanley Pain posted:

Still all anecdotal :words: at best. I've seen thousands of corporate machines (including the one I'm typing on right now) crash with Intel Graphics Drivers, and Nvidia drivers as well. The last 2 drivers from Nvidia have been horrendous for TDRs if google stats are to be trusted (they also been anecdotally lovely for my SLI setup :v: ).

At the end of the day both companies have made and continue to make lovely drivers. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a pretty even split across the entire install base.

You have seen thousands of Intel and Nvidia drivers crash and not a much higher number of AMD drivers crash? I'm not exaggerating here when I say on a high estimate I've seen nvidia or Intel drivers crash less than 100 times and thats even after phasing out 99% of all AMD chipsets.

I guess all anybody can do for something like this and take the info they can and decide for themselves but, this is a no brainer for me based on my experience.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

You have seen thousands of Intel and Nvidia drivers crash and not a much higher number of AMD drivers crash? I'm not exaggerating here when I say on a high estimate I've seen nvidia or Intel drivers crash less than 100 times and thats even after phasing out 99% of all AMD chipsets.

I guess all anybody can do for something like this and take the info they can and decide for themselves but, this is a no brainer for me based on my experience.

At the end of the day it's luck of the draw. IT recently replaced our laptops with Lenovo T440s and w550s and we must have hit the poo poo pinnata because I've had mine replaced 4 or 5 times in the last 4 months. Intel Driver crashes (or running 100% CPU), fan issues, etc. Probably one of the problems when buying 10k+ units is that you get to see first hand which assembly plants how quality control issues :v:

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008
gently caress all this poo poo and waiting for pre-orders and EVGA can't get their poo poo in Europe together and poo poo! After missing out on a Gainward GLH on tuesday, I saw that a store here in Germany had one Palit 1080 Super Jetstream (basically the same card as the Gainward) in stock and that fucker is on it's way to me and should be here tomorrow!
:boom:

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

edit: Lol my "3 day" Newegg shipping, while indeed 3 days, is just regular rear end fedex home delivery. 3 day shipping service level from Fedex can only be "Express" even if in this case it would be express saver and hardly any different than ground. Regardless, I imagine no matter what shipping you ordered you will all be getting your G1 1070 on Saturday unless you're really far from CA

I'm scheduled for a Friday delivery, but then again I live in AZ and they're shipping from CA. 2 days is par for the course based on my ~dozen Newegg deliveries.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Stanley Pain posted:

At the end of the day it's luck of the draw. IT recently replaced our laptops with Lenovo T440s and w550s and we must have hit the poo poo pinnata because I've had mine replaced 4 or 5 times in the last 4 months. Intel Driver crashes (or running 100% CPU), fan issues, etc. Probably one of the problems when buying 10k+ units is that you get to see first hand which assembly plants how quality control issues :v:

Heh Lenovo ... I feel you

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Coming from the days before drivers even had the option to crash (GPU/Driver issue? BSOD/HARD LOCK for you), I have seen my share from all sides but outside of a dying card physically, abnormal temps, or OC'ing the card itself, the GPU/Driver is certianly only about 50% of the time the actual blame.

Audio drivers have been known by me to be a contributor for whatever reason (Coming from a line of Creative cards since the SBLive X-Gamer 5.1 -> AudigyZS -> X-Fi Platinum (PCI) -> X-Fi Titanium (PCI-E)) Creative has been known forever to have lovely drivers and Realtek based IA hasn't been immune either. Luckily the Creative side has had some from of 3rd party driver tweaker that happen to get things working rather well, but anytime you start messing with the latest and greatest Audio features that may be a bit out of the norm, it can throw a issue that can reset the video driver as the game hangs trying to do something the audio driver was trying to "accelerate"

Motherboards are also a huge potential proponent with the sheer number of features they have today not all being equal to each other. OC's slightly off, Is Spread Spectrum turned on? Etc. Keeping all those drivers up to date as usually once someone sets up their system with whatever Windows installs, they forget to update those driver anytime down the line.

I lived through the Code 43 issue with the 4870X2 (Once it happened, you pretty much had to reinstall Vista because something with the AMD driver killed the 2nd GPU from being able to be installed/detected properly by Vista no matter the driver shuffle you did after) so I have plenty of AMD driver stories and hate, but at the same time, Nvidia has done some of the same at other times through the years. Neither though are normally terrible once you get past a off driver or make sure the rest of your hardware is in top form.

If you have a recurring issue with "video drivers" after multiple versions and a clean windows install, you have another issue that isn't video driver related at that point.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

If you have a recurring issue with "video drivers" after multiple versions and a clean windows install, you have another issue that isn't video driver related at that point.

this is really what everyone is trying to say. AMD has long been behind on drivers, thats not really up for debate, but it's never been the case that they would crash multiple times daily. if that's happening to you then there is another cause, and it's silly to write off AMD for something that isn't their fault.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I paid the $2 extra for the 3 day and it's not going to get to me in Illinois until Monday anyway, at least if tracking is to be believed. Oh well.

I have Shoprunner and couldn't for the life of me find out how to get it applied.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

ooo one of the Frys near me has an open box EVGA 1080 FE.. Discount will probably be like :tenbux: but I can rent it for 30 days with little drawback. Hmm

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Given how low the retail margins are on these cards, "renting" for 30 days seems kind of self-centered, no? I mean if you have a vendetta against Fry's or something, knock yourself out

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
Here's my experience with graphics card drivers:

1) I buy a new graphics card, and install the latest stable release, only to discover it's breaking poo poo in some of my games. Turns out the drivers are too new, and I have to downgrade! :pwn:
2) Either a new game comes out, that needs hotfix beta drivers in order to work at all, or there's some kind of new feature that also needs latest drivers. So, I get the latest drivers and pray that they don't break everything.
......they usually break everything. Welp, time to downgrade again!
3) After a month, they finally unfuck their hotfix driver and I can actually enjoy both the new game, and all of my old games. I try to avoid updating ever again after this point, for obvious reasons.

By the way, this has been independent of vendor.
I'd gladly pay $150 to never have to deal with AMD and nvidia drivers ever again, but who else is there?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Given how low the retail margins are on these cards, "renting" for 30 days seems kind of self-centered, no? I mean if you have a vendetta against Fry's or something, knock yourself out

If it's already marked down as open box, wardrobing it isn't really going to hurt anyone further. It's 30 days worth of depreciation and he might just forget to return it, seems fair enough.

Edit:

Also Eddy is little light in the wallet after his omnidirectional VR treadmill purchase, cut him some slack.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't recall ever having driver issues, though it's true that I barely knew what a driver was until a few years ago. You guys are scaring me with these stories. I'm afraid to get a new system now.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

If it's already marked down as open box, wardrobing it isn't really going to hurt anyone further. It's 30 days worth of depreciation and he might just forget to return it, seems fair enough.

Edit:

Also Eddy is little light in the wallet after his omnidirectional VR treadmill purchase, cut him some slack.

Both true. And I planned for the same thing with my 980Ti Strix purchase from Frys and well, we see how well I did on that as I still have it.

I need to get more streaming going and use the Omni some more. Being Sick/Tired/Lazy hasn't helped me want to :effort: to move my Vive setup to it and give it a real go with the newest TraVR game, Vivecraft, and whatever else may be perfect in the Omni+Motion Controls. I just need more hours in the day and no need for sleep.

VVV That is the one thing I have always had with Nvidia. Nearly none of the Control Panel settings, be it Global Profile or Per Game seem to do a drat thing when I set them. I literally only used it for SLI settings in the past and now pretty much never open it because it doesn't DO anything.

Nvidia Inspector seems to somewhat work and I just use that when I need to try and force something. Why that works and the CP doesn't I'll never know.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 16, 2016

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
The only driver issue I've had is Nvidia CP's "force AA" never loving doing anything.

x64 CSAA option sitting there. Mocking me. :argh:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ak Gara posted:

The only driver issue I've had is Nvidia CP's "force AA" never loving doing anything.

x64 CSAA option sitting there. Mocking me. :argh:

Forcing MSAA (or variants like CSAA) in the driver only works with engines that use forward rendering, which is almost nothing these days. DSR is basically the replacement for engines that use deferred rendering.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

repiv posted:

Forcing MSAA (or variants like CSAA) in the driver only works with engines that use forward rendering, which is almost nothing these days. DSR is basically the replacement for engines that use deferred rendering.

I hadn't realized that MSAA-based techniques stopped working with modern game engines, I guess because I haven't paid super close attention. That's moderately alarming, because DSR is an enormous performance hit especially when your native res is 2560x1440 or higher.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's still possible to support MSAA in a deferred engine with some effort (ie. Frostbite does it), but I'd rather have high quality TAA in every game to be honest.

UE4 and id Tech 6s implementations are fast as hell and look fantastic :circlefap:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

ijyt posted:

Pfft, OcUK has had over 1,000 orders for the Strix 1080. They received stock to fulfil 2% of those orders.

I was number 64. Right now I'm just focusing on how I have a super busy schedule for work next week so I wouldn't have time anyway.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

repiv posted:

It's still possible to support MSAA in a deferred engine with some effort (ie. Frostbite does it), but I'd rather have high quality TAA in every game to be honest.

UE4 and id Tech 6s implementations are fast as hell and look fantastic :circlefap:

Thanks for suggesting I look at it, this is some amazing stuff: https://de45xmedrsdbp.cloudfront.net/Resources/files/TemporalAA_small-59732822.pdf

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alchenar posted:

I was number 64. Right now I'm just focusing on how I have a super busy schedule for work next week so I wouldn't have time anyway.

I'm strongly considering just buying a 980 Ti off ebay for like, £350 or so. It'd still be a great boost over my 780 and I'd have more reason to get a 1080 Ti.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Here's the video they showed during that presentation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNQ47MY-Eo0
And DOOMs version of it: https://youtu.be/la0O0SyM3gg?t=179

good poo poo go౦ԁ poo poo👌

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Jeez that does look good. Having that sort of AA in something like Elite in VR would be downright insane. Space games need as much AA as possible as what little actual objects you do see, look terrible when they alias all over the place in VR. (Especially inside stations).

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Is there word out yet on which of the aftermarket 1070/1080s are best this go round? Scanned through a few dozen pages and didn't see much. Same for general googling around.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

pr0zac posted:

Is there word out yet on which of the aftermarket 1070/1080s are best this go round? Scanned through a few dozen pages and didn't see much. Same for general googling around.

Honestly not really. There is a slight edge towards "whatever is cheapest" since, so far, every card has OC'd to roughly the same levels but nobody knows.

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
I'm seeing a motor bitching about drivers but honestly in 9~ years of PC gaming I've only ever had problems updating ATi drivers maybe once, and an additional 2 occasions of driver fuckery, once when I went from nvidia to ATi and again when I went back from ATi to nvidia.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Everybody post their anecdotal driver experiences!

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Larrymer posted:

Everybody post their anecdotal driver experiences!

I thought I had that weird texture corruption bug in dx9 games with some ATI cards like my 7850. Then it happened again anyway with my 770 so it was just The Witcher 2 being dumb

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nVidia drivers were the loving worst about 10 years ago at Vista launch, that's the worst, crashiest driver experience I've ever had. I've been back and forth between ATI and nVidia a bunch since, and nothing has been as bad as that.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 16, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

EdEddnEddy posted:

good driver/hardware info

Speaking of motherboards and audio - I wonder if people who have both the AMD/Nvidia audio installed, along with either enabling their mobo audio or having a separate add-in card, are seeing more issues because of it. I could potentially see a driver conflict if onboard audio and video card/add-in card audio are both being used but it's just a guess. I rarely see a problem, but I've got onboard audio turned off, an Asus Xonar add-in card, and no audio drivers installed for my 980 with the Xonar explicitly set to handle all audio tasks. Either that, or it's the bundled audio driver that AMD/Nvidia are using that's hosing things up, I guess installing the video drivers without that component would be one good way to test.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If you're trying to get a card from Frys call them. Don't pay attention to their website. Guy I got my card from said its never right and they will give stock numbers to you even though the website says they wont. He was telling me that they were calling people to come pick up cards they had on hold because they wanted to move the product.

HamHawkes
Jan 25, 2014

Twerk from Home posted:

nVidia drivers were the loving worst about 10 years ago at Vista launch, that's the worst, crashiest driver experience I've ever had. I've been back and forth between ATI and nVidia a bunch since, and nothing has been as bad as that.

I remember this. Any time I tried to update my Nvidia drivers it was a BSOD. It was the worst experience I've ever had.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You are blessed if that is the worst thing that's ever happened to you.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

You are blessed if that is the worst thing that's ever happened to you.

I don't know - Vista was pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

snuff posted:

I caved in and bought a 980ti on discount. EVGA FTW 2006 meme edition. A nice card for sure but now I wonder if I should step up to a nice 1070 when they're more available or return it. Guess I have a few weeks to find out.

I was going to but didn't since I managed to get one of the Gigabyte 1070s. If it's a purchase valid for Step Up (like form New Egg) then the cost of going from 980ti to 1070 would be minor. Then again the gains would also be minor outside of 10series specific features like the multi-monitor and DX12/VR stuff.

Barry posted:

I paid the $2 extra for the 3 day and it's not going to get to me in Illinois until Monday anyway, at least if tracking is to be believed. Oh well.

I have Shoprunner and couldn't for the life of me find out how to get it applied.

I really hate that I can't modify a newegg order without canceling it (or I just completely missed it when looking). I wanted to upgrade my shipping from the crappy default 4-7 day setting but canceling to redo shipping would've absolutely resulted in me not getting the card and someone else doing so. Now instead of having the card by the weekend I'll be getting it Tuesday probably.