Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I doubt that's it, the artist was probably told to use the T-70 so they made their deadline on time. IIRC, it's from a young adult book

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Eimi posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why invent a 'new' XWing only to say that's actually old and already outdated? :psyduck: Knowing that makes the entire thing worse somehow.

Always remember the deeper EU you go the dumber it gets, it doesnt matter how old/new legends or not. Its just how it is.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Eimi posted:

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Why invent a 'new' XWing only to say that's actually old and already outdated? :psyduck: Knowing that makes the entire thing worse somehow.

So the only difference is BB-8 is in a little cubbie? I guess the cockpit looks more like the T-65 too, which makes less sense. It feels like that was based on the original t-70 concept and then they emphasized the spindliness/fragility of it for the movie. (I really like the T-70 now)

I guess the idea was that the Resistance was an underfunded and small military group that was getting second-pickings, so that they would be more akin to the Rebellion from the OT.

E: It's still pretty goofy though.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

FelixReynolds posted:

I also love prockets on Jake and have two PTLs, so I can throw one on him. I do not have the HWK. Would dropping the VI or the Outmaneuver for PTL be the better idea? VI means I should hopefully be able to set up favorable arcs with the higher PS, but the bonus from OM I've found useful given the only 2 Attack.

I pretty much always go VI and PTL with Jake. He's really as close to a Soontir level arc dodger you can get from the Rebels.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

FelixReynolds posted:

So finally going to dive in and try a casual tournament day at my LGS this Sunday for father's day as I was in there buying an E-Wing today and the owner showed me the alt-art Luke Skywalker cards they're handing out. I'm putting together a list, I generally play Rebels while my gf plays Imps and the collection is still in its infancy - between the two of us we've got both cores, both aces, Falcon, Deci, Phantom, and now E-wing, so I am lacking in a bunch of stuff the internet tells me is awesome.

So far what I've thrown together looks like this:

97 points

PILOTS

Poe Dameron (PS8 Version) [BB-8, Weapons Guidance, Push the Limit] (38)
Jake Farrell [A-Wing Test Pilot, Chardaan Refit, Outmaneuver, Veteran Instincts] (26)
Blue Squadron Pilot [Fire-Control System, Proton Torpedoes, Ion Torpedoes] (33)

Like the idea of making them either go after the B-Wing before he unloads torps or chase Poe and Jake, but I'm well aware this is probably terrible so if anyone has feedback or suggestions it's most welcome. Don't care too much about winning, but would rather not unknowingly gimp myself playing something absurd. I was considering throwing prockets on Jake but then not sure what to bring for the third ship - maybe Biggs that I try to make as survivable as possible? Or Luke w/R2-D2 & Marksmanship...have had fun with that before.

Biggs is the best 25 points you can spend as a Rebel it seems. I don't entirely know how to get a list up there without Autos or other goodies, but Biggs is a great pick. Also if you have it, probably don't, but Chips are amazing on torpedo carrying B-Wings.

And an odd rules question, does Poe work with Weapons Guidance? As in, can you use his pilot ability, then spend the focus for the hit?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
It recently struck me how hard it can be to put together a decent list if you aren't proxying and don't have a huge collection. Very few expansions are competitive right out of the box. I have to say taht stuff like Veteran's Instinct and Autothrusters are pretty egregious though, they really need to be in more sets.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got my alt art Luke/Vader double sided Father's Day card at the tournament last weekend. About 2 hours later it finally hit me why it was the prize support for a Father's Day event :downs:

edit:

Improbable Lobster posted:

It recently struck me how hard it can be to put together a decent list if you aren't proxying and don't have a huge collection. Very few expansions are competitive right out of the box. I have to say taht stuff like Veteran's Instinct and Autothrusters are pretty egregious though, they really need to be in more sets.

Totally true, but it makes me feel good at least that C-3PO and VI were tournament cards recently, because a card as useful as C-3PO being gated behind the Tantive IV is just too much for me.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 16, 2016

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

alg posted:

WH40K is a bad game with a bad universe :shobon:

The Star Wars EU is like 3x dumber than the 40k universe. And the 40k universe is pretty god damned dumb.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

canyoneer posted:

I got my alt art Luke/Vader double sided Father's Day card at the tournament last weekend. About 2 hours later it finally hit me why it was the prize support for a Father's Day event :downs:

edit:

Totally true, but it makes me feel good at least that C-3PO and VI were tournament cards recently, because a card as useful as C-3PO being gated behind the Tantive IV is just too much for me.

Yeah but you have to play in a tourney to get them, and with 3p0 most people have probably given out their extras. I have a lot of the alt art VI, but I also bought a few off ebay because I thought the kit had just rotated out and wanted the Rebel art.

It is a shame a useful card like Authtrusters is stuck on only the Viper. Thankfully you get two unlike Crackshot though. If only the Viper was good.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://teespring.com/never-tell-me-the-odds#pid=369&cid=6514&sid=front

Peep this shirt.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Last X-wing night someone at the next table called out "What's the odds of navigating an asteroid field again?"
Of course I pulled up that section of ANH on you tube. :)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

"Always alert me to the numerical odds of success!"

-Malcolm Reynolds, at the battle of Wolf 359 (Battlestar Galactica)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I played Star Wars: Rebellion tonight instead of X-Wing.

I kinda wish I'd played X-Wing instead. Rebellion has a bazillion fiddly rules.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Improbable Lobster posted:

Apparently we aren't missing out on much with the T-85

i like how every single piece of this x wing is going off in a diff direction. Like the dude has no clue how to do perspective

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

ghetto wormhole posted:

The Star Wars EU is like 3x dumber than the 40k universe. And the 40k universe is pretty god damned dumb.

Seconding this. We really don't want to start comparing stupid levels.

*drinks a Sister of Battle's blood to ward off space magic*

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

zVxTeflon posted:

i like how every single piece of this x wing is going off in a diff direction. Like the dude has no clue how to do perspective

This image really bothered me so I had to waste my time reverse image searching it. I can't find the original source, but it looks like a deviant art-style trace job of the tiny X-Wing illustrated on the back of the Before the Awakening book.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
OK so I'm looking to learn some swarmage, and I have in mind the following two lists:

Ryad with Crack Shot, Tractor Beam, TIE/D
Howl with Crack Shot
3x Black Crack

Or

Ryad with Adaptability, Tractor Beam, TIE/D
Howl with Swarm Tactics
3x Black Crack

The former has the benefit of two more Crack Shots, and the possibility of Cracking the Tractor Beam through which was a whole thing in planning the list.

The latter has the benefit of Ryad moving with the Black Squads, which can be very handy, and also of her shooting before Howl, which gets another gun on a Tractored target. But it loses two crack shots. It also has the advantage of not needing me to buy another Crack Shot on top of the 2 I have already and the 2 that are coming in Vets.

So... what do people think?

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
The first one is just nasty, and making me reconsider the list I've just started training with, which is howl + 3 black crack paired with Inky.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ConfusedUs posted:

I played Star Wars: Rebellion tonight instead of X-Wing.

I kinda wish I'd played X-Wing instead. Rebellion has a bazillion fiddly rules.

Yeah it's really tempting because of the CSI Father's Day sale but even at that price, I'd rather get the meaty twilight struggle game instead. The latter also has fiddly rules but it's hailed as one of if not the best heavy board game for 2 players.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tacopocalypse posted:

This image really bothered me so I had to waste my time reverse image searching it. I can't find the original source, but it looks like a deviant art-style trace job of the tiny X-Wing illustrated on the back of the Before the Awakening book.

Wookiepedia claims it's an illustration from Before The Awakening

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Rebellion at that price is tempting. How does it play?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I played a couple of rounds at UKGE and it was FFG as gently caress but seemed interesting. Long and only 2-player though.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Rebellion doesn't really have a ton of fiddly rules. Certainly less than X-Wing in its current state. Its a very simple game where most of the rules are introduced in card text, i.e. make an attack run, place a unit, or whatever.

I don't think it's super deep, and combat needs some work, but its very thematic and much simpler than most FFG games.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hey, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right. So say I have IG-88C whose ability is:
After you perform a boost action, you may perform a free evade action.

Also he is equipped with advanced sensors:
Immediately before you reveal your maneuver, you may perform 1 free action.

If you use this ability, you must skip your "Perform Action" step during this round.

Also Push the Limit:
Once per round, after you perform an action, you may perform 1 free action shown in your action bar.

Then receive 1 stress token.

So the question is:
Right before IG-88 reveals his maneuver can I use Advanced Sensors to Boost, his pilot ability lets me take an evade action, then I can use push the limit to also focus (with a stress). Then, if I reveal a green maneuver I can remove that stress that I just placed, correct? I'm pretty sure it works, I just want to make sure.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Yep, that's correct.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It's also disgusting and frustrating to fly against :mad:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Rebellion at that price is tempting. How does it play?

Played one game, impression is that it would be really fun if it was a 2 hour game as opposed to a 4+ hour monstrosity

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Fritzler posted:

So the question is:
Right before IG-88 reveals his maneuver can I use Advanced Sensors to Boost, his pilot ability lets me take an evade action, then I can use push the limit to also focus (with a stress). Then, if I reveal a green maneuver I can remove that stress that I just placed, correct? I'm pretty sure it works, I just want to make sure.

Yup this is how I use advanced sensors on the my PtL 4-Lom if I want to manage my stress differently. It's pretty effective.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Played one game, impression is that it would be really fun if it was a 2 hour game as opposed to a 4+ hour monstrosity
I wasn't impressed by Rebellion. It has some interesting ideas marred by a poor combat system.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Fritzler posted:

Hey, I want to make sure I'm understanding this right. So say I have IG-88C whose ability is:
After you perform a boost action, you may perform a free evade action.

Also he is equipped with advanced sensors:
Immediately before you reveal your maneuver, you may perform 1 free action.

If you use this ability, you must skip your "Perform Action" step during this round.

Also Push the Limit:
Once per round, after you perform an action, you may perform 1 free action shown in your action bar.

Then receive 1 stress token.

So the question is:

AKA Hillbots run by former UK national champion Jesper Hills.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tekopo posted:

I wasn't impressed by Rebellion. It has some interesting ideas marred by a poor combat system.

Yeah that was my impression too. I think if the both the game and the combat went faster I'd be more willing to forgive it but if I'm going to dedicate that much money, time, space, and effort I want something better than what it is.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

AKA Hillbots run by former UK national champion Jesper Hills.
It's telling that I think I can handle any brobot list with trip aces/palp aces apart from hillbots. AS/PtL makes the brobots so slippery, it really isn't worth going the HLC route over making the IGs as unpredictable as possible. FCS brobots might have a lot more punching power but being able to do actions before sloops, or still have an action when you bump is so much better.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Also RE: the t-70 and t-85, remember, TFA is set 30 years after the OT. It makes perfect sense that

1) The Republic has been through several fighter designs and updates and

2) the Resistance got ahold of older, technically outdated, designs and is using them.

There's actually plenty of real world examples of decommissioned fighters being used elsewhere like this. The F-14 Tomcat, for example, is like 40 years old, was retired about 10 years ago from US service, and there's still some operational in Iran. I bet if you look into various types of MiG's you'd find even more examples. Expand your military from one planet to hundreds, and sure, I bet some poo poo goes "missing" and somehow ends up in the hands of your totally-not-the-Republic-we-swear Resistance group for use, and no one really cares since it's outdated crap anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

$60 for a two player boardgame? Never mind.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Tekopo posted:

It's telling that I think I can handle any brobot list with trip aces/palp aces apart from hillbots. AS/PtL makes the brobots so slippery, it really isn't worth going the HLC route over making the IGs as unpredictable as possible. FCS brobots might have a lot more punching power but being able to do actions before sloops, or still have an action when you bump is so much better.
Oh wow. I was just doing this cuz I don't have fire control systems yet. It sounded pretty good to me though. Where can I see a normal Hillbot set? Googling is giving me a lot of trump vs. Hillary stuff even with the X-wing modifier.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Fritzler posted:

Oh wow. I was just doing this cuz I don't have fire control systems yet. It sounded pretty good to me though. Where can I see a normal Hillbot set? Googling is giving me a lot of trump vs. Hillary stuff even with the X-wing modifier.

Here ya go:
48 IG-88B, PTL, AdvS, Auto, Title, Mangler
51 IG-88C, PTL, AdvS, Auto, Title, HLC

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I think this is the current line of thinking:

100 points

PILOTS

IG88-B (52)
Aggressor (36), Push the Limit (3), Advanced Sensors (3), Heavy Laser Cannon (7), Tractor beam (1), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

IG88-C (48)
Aggressor (36), Push the Limit (3), Advanced Sensors (3), “Mangler” Cannon (4), IG-2000 (0), Autothrusters (2)

You have the HLC/Tractor on the B so if C dies you still have the gunner ability. You use tractor beam beause you don't have anything else to use the point on and it means you can still use gunner ability even at range 1.

This is probably the most competitive brobot list available atm.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

lazerus06 posted:

Here ya go:
48 IG-88B, PTL, AdvS, Auto, Title, Mangler
51 IG-88C, PTL, AdvS, Auto, Title, HLC
Beaten but you don't usually place the HLC on the C afaik.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tekopo posted:

Beaten but you don't usually place the HLC on the C afaik.

Actually most DO put the HLC on C, so that B isn't the only real target.

Seriously if HLC is on B, you kill that and you win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Ah, fair enough, I guess you are right.

• Locked thread