Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've wanted to try Hep, but had pretty bad luck actually finding her altars, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hit ctrl-q and start again as Gl, you'll find an altar if you just stick with it a bit

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I ended up splatting that character. I am currently at D:6 on a MiFi and have found every other altar but hers. :v:

e: Found Hep at D:9, finally. What's the best ancestor for a melee guy? I'm thinking Knight just because two beeftanks is better than one, but Battlemage or Hexer might be able to fill in some of my MiFi's shortcomings.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 16, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Hexer is probably the strongest of the three no matter what you are.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I tried Knight and he was way underpowered :smith: Honestly for Knight to be useful there needs to be some way for him to draw aggro

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
What the gently caress is a meliai and why is it able to smite me like 3 times in one turn

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I've been liking Knight a lot on my current character, a crossbows KoHu. I have to step to the side sometimes to get her out of my line of fire, but this is compensated for by using f rather than t to get her to start attacking. Gave her an axe rather than trident, as she ends up surrounded a lot.

Battlemage probably complements a melee character well (not yet tried it), Hexer seems to be good for everybody.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What the gently caress is a meliai and why is it able to smite me like 3 times in one turn

Bee priestess, because the devs loving hate you.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

They also had -20% HP, which means that even with poison vulnerability, they were considered as strong as gargoyles :downs:

One thing I see brought up in Nemelex reform discussion is that the dev team doesn't want Nemelex to have a 'mini game' in relation to the powers. It's part of why the sacrifice system changed: you figured it out and gamed it to get the deck type you wanted (aka Wonders). It should be as simple as push button->get power, with no intervening steps on figuring out how to optimize that power.

Gaming the sacrifice system was annoying and fiddly in a way that having a little card game gimmick to powers wouldn't be, because it wouldn't involve inventory management bullshit like nemelex sacrifice management did. It also wouldn't result in scummy behavior like Wonders farming.

Getting benefits from manipulating a 'hand' of cards wouldn't really be /that/ much more 'minigame'y than Uskayaw's combo powers or Beogh's pet management. You'd still have 'press button - get effect' powers, you'd just have potential benefits to using them in a certain way or order.

It doesn't even have to be as complex as the system he suggested - even just a system where you draw 5 ability cards at random that sit in your ability menu instead of your inventory, and then you spend piety to draw another card, with free draws after a certain number of kills or something would be more interesting and less annoying than how he is now. You could have some special cards which give an effect immediately when drawn, and other cards that you can keep in your hand until you want to use them, and some sort of maximum card in hand limit combined with forcibly replacing older cards when full with the free draws to prevent hoarding of more than one or two especially useful cards.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 16, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

quote:

You hit the hill giant but do no damage.
The hill giant is almost dead.
You barely miss the hill giant.
The hill giant is almost dead.
The hill giant hits you with a giant club!!
You die...

Yeah gently caress you too Crawl :mad:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Someone looked at killer bees and thought they needed smiting.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 16, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
almost dead[1]: Still entirely capable of obliterating you.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, if playing Formies has taught me anything, it's that it's okay to cut and run even in a fight you "should" win.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Augh, can we get it so that Pakellas blocks the effects of MP-Powered Wands mutation already. I always seem to get it when worshiping them and it always hinders play greatly.

EDIT: Oh for gently caress's sakes! One who I brought it up about had died so I start another one, go Pake again and first Potion of Mutation get the freaking mutation again. I guess I just have to cut mutation roulette out completely if I go with them.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 16, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wolpertinger posted:

Gaming the sacrifice system was annoying and fiddly in a way that having a little card game gimmick to powers wouldn't be, because it wouldn't involve inventory management bullshit like nemelex sacrifice management did. It also wouldn't result in scummy behavior like Wonders farming.

Getting benefits from manipulating a 'hand' of cards wouldn't really be /that/ much more 'minigame'y than Uskayaw's combo powers or Beogh's pet management. You'd still have 'press button - get effect' powers, you'd just have potential benefits to using them in a certain way or order.

It doesn't even have to be as complex as the system he suggested - even just a system where you draw 5 ability cards at random that sit in your ability menu instead of your inventory, and then you spend piety to draw another card, with free draws after a certain number of kills or something would be more interesting and less annoying than how he is now. You could have some special cards which give an effect immediately when drawn, and other cards that you can keep in your hand until you want to use them, and some sort of maximum card in hand limit combined with forcibly replacing older cards when full with the free draws to prevent hoarding of more than one or two especially useful cards.

Having a hand of powers is fine, as well as potentially having cards combo. My mini game comment was more directed at having suits of cards and playing poker hands to unlock stronger powers. This means the player now needs to learn what the suits do (and all effects related to them in addition to their chances of occurring), as well as what all the applicable poker scoring hands are and how to achieve them/the odds of getting each type to optimize getting a strong power each time. The idea is to make a system where the player does not have to learn and play a different game to play Crawl.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hey Crawl, I know you're excited about showing off the new Phantom sprite but....

Maybe in a few D levels?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Hey Crawl, I know you're excited about showing off the new Phantom sprite but....

Maybe in a few D levels?
:suspense: Tell us how it goes

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Please make Ancestors immune to your projectiles much like demonic guardians are. God of dumb AI buddy who blocks your shots isn't a good time.

Related, please make demonic guardians immune to static discharge, ball lightning, chain lightning, and tornado. Getting that mutation on an AE makes me want to ctrl-q immediately. Ancestors don't need to be immune to ball and tornado damage, but please don't let them be lightning rods for the other two.

e: I guess it's fine if ancestors suck with static and CL. It's weird lovely anti synergy instead of an actual god restriction but whatever, you chose to worship. Demonic guardian though, please fix that.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jun 16, 2016

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Poison Mushroom posted:

:suspense: Tell us how it goes

Parked it and abandoned floor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

Parked it and abandoned floor.
Good, good.

After my frustration with my FoFi, I decided to take a change of pace, currently playing a NaVM^K. Planned on going short blades, playing stabber-snake until I could properly hybrid into long blades....

"Huh, an artifact mace. Well, it can't be cursed, so I might as well see-"

code:
B - the +9 mace "Sunuce Howk" (weapon) {speed, rN+ MR+ Dex+2}
Guess I'm going M&F, then.

Edit Oops, died.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 16, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

Maybe in a few D levels?

You spent over 900 turns on a floor, obviously you were asking for it with that blatant level of scumming.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Darox posted:

Please make Ancestors immune to your projectiles much like demonic guardians are. God of dumb AI buddy who blocks your shots isn't a good time.

Related, please make demonic guardians immune to static discharge, ball lightning, chain lightning, and tornado. Getting that mutation on an AE makes me want to ctrl-q immediately. Ancestors don't need to be immune to ball and tornado damage, but please don't let them be lightning rods for the other two.

e: I guess it's fine if ancestors suck with static and CL. It's weird lovely anti synergy instead of an actual god restriction but whatever, you chose to worship. Demonic guardian though, please fix that.
Denonic guardians won't get angry if you attack (in trunk) so just go hog wild with it.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Uskayaw is strong but also fun as gently caress, and not as strong as Trog, so it's gonna be horseshit if they remove her

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think this is Crawl telling me to play something else for a bit:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Arivia posted:

It's just telling you how it feels about mimes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yeah, if playing Formies has taught me anything, it's that it's okay to cut and run even in a fight you "should" win.

Believe me, I know that. Its just that nagas can't run from basically everything.

Apparently I did have a scroll of tele in my inventory though so I still could of played that better.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
code:
Django the Sniper (Formicid Hunter)                Turns: 59788, Time: 03:31:24

Health: 197/197    AC: 46    Str: 25    XL:     25   Next: 45%
Magic:  29/29      EV: 16    Int:  6    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold:   2552       SH: 29    Dex: 19    Spells: 0 memorised, 24 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    I - +7 triple crossbow (velocity)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    o - +12 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    A - +6 large shield of Ignorance {rN+ AC+2 EV+2 Int-6 *Curse} (curse)
rPois  +          Spirit   +    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    U - +2 cloak of Dawn {rF++ Str+7 Slay+3}
rCorr  +          Reflect  .    e - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
SustAt .          Harm     .    j - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++...                    y - amulet "Zashuek" {Spirit rN+}
Stlth  ..........               T - ring of resist corrosion
                                k - ring "Rauqec" {*Tele rElec}

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 q - a +3 double sword of holy wrath
 z - a +3 great sword of freezing
 E - a +5 double sword of slicing
Armour
 s - the +2 large shield of the Guilds {-Cast rN++ Regen+ MP+9}

Skills:
 + Level 15.8 Fighting
 - Level 18.0(17.9) Long Blades
 * Level 21.6(21.5) Crossbows
 + Level 16.8(16.7) Armour
 + Level 13.9(13.8) Dodging
 - Level 4.1 Stealth
 - Level 18.0(17.9) Shields
 - Level 9.1(9.0) Invocations

code:
AC: 46
i think i might be doing pretty well maybe

Cleared everything above Depths, only now about to enter. This was a pretty fraught run up until I hit Orc after finishing Lair, lots of issues with running out of bolts and having to run from stuff. Anyway, I grabbed a arbalest in Orc:1, branded it with flaming, quite nice. Go down to Orc:2, find a bailey. It's the one with the moat and all the orcs with spears, but between digging and my arb it was a cakewalk. At the end? GOLD MOTHERFUCKING DRAGON ARMOR! I spend the rest of the run blowing all my enchant armour scrolls on it, and happily tab my way through Snake and Shoals (which I usually loving hate, but all that space makes everything easy pickings!). Nab the triple crossbow halfway down Vault, brand and enchant it up. I should be able to do 15 runes, right?

Seriously, I have no loving clue what I would need.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Coucho Marx posted:

Seriously, I have no loving clue what I would need.

For extended as a Formicid, you might want a way to get out of Dodge if things go belly up. Usually that means a god power (Zin's Sanctuary, Chei's Step From Time, Lugonu's Self Abyss) or a spell (like Death's Door). Without one, you have to play extremely cautiously (and still potentially get screwed over). Be careful if you decide to swap from Oka, as you can read some recent posts to see how lethal it can be, even as a character with access to teleport/blinking.

Other than that, you just want enough resistances to be a walking powerhouse that nothing but Torment and Hellfire can scratch. From your resists, that mainly is replacing your rCorr for an MR+ ring and swapping in more rC+ when going to the heavy cold related places (Cocytus/Lom Lobon). Also consider finding a different shield before doing Tomb to avoid going Brainless from death curses. Your triple crossbow and double sword of holy wrath are going to be your weapons of choice for the most part.

As for general progress through Extended, do Slime/Abyss/Vaults (as well as Zot:1-4 and Crypt). Pan is usually the easiest of Hell/Pan/Tomb to do, but you could get dumped on Hellion Island or next to a Pan Lord when entering a new level, so I would highly recommend getting some way to escape before doing it. Hell is dangerous but telegraphed for the most part in how dangerous it is, and Tomb is Kiting+Stairdancing the branch unless you have Torment immunity, so take it slow and carefully.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 16, 2016

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Floodkiller posted:

For extended as a Formicid, you might want a way to get out of Dodge if things go belly up. Usually that means a god power (Zin's Sanctuary, Chei's Step From Time, Lugonu's Self Abyss) or a spell (like Death's Door). Without one, you have to play extremely cautiously (and still potentially get screwed over). Be careful if you decide to swap from Oka, as you can read some recent posts to see how lethal it can be, even as a character with access to teleport/blinking.

Lugonu seems to make the most sense for Formicids, since his Bend Space ability isn't 'technically' blinking, so it gets around stasis. It'll make grabbing the Abyss rune easier, too, when I get around to it.

Floodkiller posted:

From your resists, that mainly is replacing your rCorr for an MR+ ring and swapping in more rC+ when going to the heavy cold related places (Cocytus/Lom Lobon). Also consider finding a different shield before doing Tomb to avoid going Brainless from death curses. Your triple crossbow and double sword of holy wrath are going to be your weapons of choice for the most part.

code:
 v - the +2 large shield of the Guilds {-Cast rN++ Regen+ MP+9}

F - the amulet of the Four Winds (around neck) {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
 N - the ring "Yski" {rC++ Stlth+}
 R - the ring "Weinitip" {rC+ rN+ Str+3 Dex+3 SInv}
Not a problem! I thought rCorr might come in handy during Zot, but it didn't come up much. I just cleared Z:5 easy anyway:

code:
 73347 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73352 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73361 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 73370 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 73371 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 73374 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: Scrolls take you a little longer to read. [an orb of fire]
 73378 | Zot:5    | Killed an orb of fire
 73439 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73441 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73441 | Zot:5    | Received a gift from Okawaru
 73446 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73446 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73447 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73449 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73460 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73466 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73469 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73469 | Zot:5    | Received a gift from Okawaru
 73475 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73491 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73494 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73503 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73507 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
 73508 | Zot:5    | Noticed an ancient lich
 73512 | Zot:5    | Killed an ancient lich
165 turns to waste every big threat in Zot 5. I might have deliberately walked on stumbled into an alarm trap.

Floodkiller posted:

As for general progress through Extended, do Slime/Abyss/Vaults (as well as Zot:1-4 and Crypt). Pan is usually the easiest of Hell/Pan/Tomb to do, but you could get dumped on Hellion Island or next to a Pan Lord when entering a new level, so I would highly recommend getting some way to escape before doing it. Hell is dangerous but telegraphed for the most part in how dangerous it is, and Tomb is Kiting+Stairdancing the branch unless you have Torment immunity, so take it slow and carefully.

Cool, after I pick a god (probably Lugonu, but if you think another is better I'm all ears) I'll probably tackle Slime first, then Abyss, then go from there.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 16, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
TSO is easiest for Fo in pan/hell due to heal on kill

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

TSO is easiest for Fo in pan/hell due to heal on kill

TSO also doesn't have an escape ability, which can be very scary if it is your first time doing Extended while also being a species that can't haste, teleport, or blink.

Coucho Marx posted:

code:
 v - the +2 large shield of the Guilds {-Cast rN++ Regen+ MP+9}

F - the amulet of the Four Winds (around neck) {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
 N - the ring "Yski" {rC++ Stlth+}
 R - the ring "Weinitip" {rC+ rN+ Str+3 Dex+3 SInv}

I would swap in the shield (because 6 Int is scary for Extended) and keep Four Winds on permanently, then swap to using Weinitip over your rCorr ring after Slime (and swap it for Yski for Cocytus). Also use one of the two rC+ rings over rElec for Slime because nothing uses lightning there.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Does Lugonu's corruption still make ninjaing runes a lot easier? That's another bonus int he Lugonu column if it still works that well.

Can Formicids shaft down through Hell?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
You can still carve chunks out of vaults if you're lucky with Corrupt and yes, selfshafting is possible in the Hell branches.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
So, with all of the Nemelex changes is Evo important at all for cards? I know abilities use Invo now but is card power/damage/etc. solely Invo now or any Evo still.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Solely Invo now, since Nemelex is the only way you can get decks.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude

Arivia posted:

Is that vault always the player's race? If so, that's great.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

Maha posted:

Is that vault always the player's race? If so, that's great.

Almost always, if it's a corpseless species (undead, Vine Stalker, Gargoyle) it's just an unnamed human corpse.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

pathetic little tramp posted:

Can Formicids shaft down through Hell?

Yep. Just make sure you buff up before shafting from floor 4 or below, in case it drops you right into the vault. Skipping the circuit around all the dumb lakes and fortresses that show up on so many of the final hell branch levels is usually a nice bonus when it happens, though.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Freezing Cloud + Uskayaw = :stare:

Why yes, I would love to paralyze everything inside highly damaging clouds of ice. Now that you mention it, I would also like them to share that damage, amplifying it even further. Oh, and I can get a bunch of free stabs off that also share the damage? You're too kind, Uskayaw. Too kind.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Floodkiller posted:

TSO also doesn't have an escape ability, which can be very scary if it is your first time doing Extended while also being a species that can't haste, teleport, or blink.

This is true. I just did Slime and Abyss, and Bend Space was vital for surviving Slime - more for Oka's wrath than the slimes themselves. You guys weren't kidding, it's pretty nasty!

I'll poke my head into Pan next.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Coucho Marx posted:

This is true. I just did Slime and Abyss, and Bend Space was vital for surviving Slime - more for Oka's wrath than the slimes themselves. You guys weren't kidding, it's pretty nasty!

I'll poke my head into Pan next.
You should probably do Crypt first, just for the 'easy' piety. Don't go into Tomb yet until you're really, really ready.

• Locked thread