Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Wow thats a cool image with a cool story. I'm almost inclined to frame it.

Is the cool story Vettel bottling his best chance of the season for a win? Because that's a pretty cool story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Exactly. It'll always be a reminder of his lack of literal killer instinct and that he's simply 4 times the fraud world champion as the others newey created.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
I don't know if it's just that they are all on their payroll but most drivers are saying they like the track.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I like to think of Vettel as the modern day Alboreto. On the right day with a good car he's world champion and/or race winner, but he's not an all time great.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Nando is the only all time great in the grid.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I agree with that.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

by what metric? like who would you consider to be among the all time greats

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

wicka posted:

Winning a title in a car not built by Adrian Newey?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

wicka posted:

Just call me a shitposter and get it over with already wicka. It's been a while anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Norns posted:

Just call me a shitposter and get it over with already wicka. It's been a while anyway.

no i'm legitimately asking not arguing. there's always a disconnect when people discuss "the greats" in any sport because some people consider that to be a super tiny group and others don't

shitposter

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

wicka posted:

shitposter

Jesus christ get help, find anger management. You're going to hurt somebody :ohdear:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think it's an intangible thing that is going to be impossible to nail down a consistent definition on.

I consider Lauda a great not because he burned half his face off, but because he beat Prost in 84. I also consider Walter Rohrl to be one of the best racing drivers of all time even though he really didn't clean up much during his time in Group B.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I consider Gilles Villeneuve a great because of his driving style. Homie did not take his foot off the throttle.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Keep in mind I got into f1 in 2014. But I have read, and watched quite a lot of old seasons at this point.

My top drivers in no particular order.

Schumacher, Clark, Senna, Prost, Fangio, Alonso. Nothing surprising about my list. I'm not a big Senna guy though, and prefer Prost in that era, but raw tallent was off the charts. I'm sure my list will change over time. But with what I know, there it is.

People on the grid with massive potential right now, but we need to see some seat shake ups I think.

We've got clowns in magic cars with way more podiums than they should have...including Sebs Newey wins. And I love the guy.

Juuu
Sep 3, 2007
Wasn't me.

Riso posted:

Winning a title in a car not built by Adrian Newey?

Winning both titles in a car that wins GPs even when it's being driven by Fisichella.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

I consider Gilles Villeneuve a great because of his driving style. Homie did not take his foot off the throttle.

Gilles and Keke were the last of the old school "pick the car up by the scruff of the neck and force it to do a lap" type drivers. I think Mansell had tested the FW09 and said it was nearly undrivable.

Juuu posted:

Winning both titles in a car that wins GPs even when it's being driven by Fisichella.

His status of as a great comes largely from dragging that burning garbagebin of a Ferrari within a hair of the title in 2012, along with his entire stint there.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Gilles and Keke were the last of the old school "pick the car up by the scruff of the neck and force it to do a lap" type drivers. I think Mansell had tested the FW09 and said it was nearly undrivable.

Nigel was a very physical driver himself, it must be said. I think you had to be that way with the Ground Effect cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Prost is the best driver of the modern-ish era. Schumacher is close but overall I think Prost's competition was better.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Hey guys we finally got a lap of the circuit that's not from a video game and has all the barriers installed

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2016/6/Exclusive_-_the_Medical_Car_takes_us_on_a_lap_of_Baku.html

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Norns posted:

I think you are forgetting about Daniel "Best Driver" Ricciardo. :colbert:

[edit]FYI, that site won't load correctly if you are connected to a VPN or have Privacy Badger set to "maximum paranoia"

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 16, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Speaking of bad Aussies. Who else is watching Le Mans?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am. It looks like it is going to start making GBS threads rain.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
I'll probably have it on in the background.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I may miss the ending and Baku. I'm undecided if I'm entering the kart race on Sunday.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
It's cool seeing all the former reject F1 drivers. Shinji Nakano is there!

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
F1 should go on a three break around the 24 and let their driver compete in it if they want. It would be good for the sport to see Alonso out there for instance if he wants to do it.

gently caress stupid FIA politics

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
My desire to be a cheapass is outlasting my desire to watch LeMans. I really don't want to pay 9 whole European Fun Bucks to watch this.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

El Hefe posted:

I don't know if it's just that they are all on their payroll but most drivers are saying they like the track.

They do that for all the new tracks, Bernie tells them to do it

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Goetta posted:

F1 should go on a three break around the 24 and let their driver compete in it if they want. It would be good for the sport to see Alonso out there for instance if he wants to do it.

gently caress stupid FIA politics

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

El Hefe posted:

List of tracks most drivers say they like:

Monaco
Valencia
Hungary
Baku

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Nando's race engineer once described watching him race as " like a controlled explosion from the moment the visor goes down". Nando is awesome.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jenson could not give any less of a poo poo and is calling it like it is.

http://www.crash.net/f1/news/231308/1/unimpressed-button-raises-baku-runoff-concerns.html

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

El Hefe posted:

Well they're all Europeans so they love racing in Europe like that

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

1500quidporsche posted:

His status of as a great comes largely from dragging that burning garbagebin of a Ferrari within a hair of the title in 2012, along with his entire stint there.

And for very nearly beating a rookie teammate.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Bring back Brands Hatch. gently caress Baku

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

keevo posted:

Hey guys we finally got a lap of the circuit that's not from a video game and has all the barriers installed

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/video/2016/6/Exclusive_-_the_Medical_Car_takes_us_on_a_lap_of_Baku.html

That pit entry is loving stupid due to that's the fastest part of the track, and the exit is equally stupid as its literally after a corner with almost no area for the drivers to get up to speed.

Never mind the fortifications, this track is a loving disaster.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Looks fantastic imo

What a great race weekend we have ahead of us lads

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Didn't somebody mention the track was going to come apart too? This is literally going to be like Dallas and I'm going to love it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

ukle posted:

That pit entry is loving stupid due to that's the fastest part of the track, and the exit is equally stupid as its literally after a corner with almost no area for the drivers to get up to speed.

Never mind the fortifications, this track is a loving disaster.

You could say the same about the pit entry in Brazil and maybe Canada.

1500quidporsche posted:

Didn't somebody mention the track was going to come apart too? This is literally going to be like Dallas and I'm going to love it.

Ah I'm bummed I'm gonna miss this live. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

keevo posted:

You could say the same about the pit entry in Brazil and maybe Canada.

The issue isn't just its the fastest part of the track its that its very short, so short it has a chicane so drivers will have to go down to <100 mph before they enter it. Reading up on it that chicane actually counts as part of the track and doesn't have the pit speed limiter applied, even more chance for someone to complete gently caress it up - and if they do that will be a red flagged race.

• Locked thread