Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

MrMojok posted:

I've been watching this thread for a while, and also reading through the LP of Grey's US effort. I have tried and tried to resist the call of this game, because it looks absolutely apeshit crazy.

But I am weakening. I'm afraid if I don't buy it tonight, I will do it over the weekend. Before I do this to myself, can anyone point me to an FAQ about it, or maybe give me some helpful tips?

I have the FAQ on the Matrix forums bookmarked, but is there anything else, maybe an introductory-level FAQ somewhere?

Just do it, cut your teeth on a small scenario to figure out the basics first however and ask questions in the Grognard thread. If you're not already watching it I also have a WITP LP against Paradigm blue, another goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

With a 12 knot max speed, we are still in range of Ceylon. Our planes go out for a strike.

We lose a lot of planes, but manage to hit both carriers.

We come under attack, I have a large CAP and have combined the two task forces in the same hex for mutual support.

We begin to claw back the K/D ratio – of course, we're losing experienced pilots we can't replace easily.

These guys slip past the CAP, but we are able to drive them off with flak.

We go back in the afternoon, and this time we have the advantage – we have worn down the enemy CAP in the morning, and manage to land torpedo hits on all three British carriers!

Then the British get their own hits in!

Hax.

See, I can't hit a thing – this happens three times today.

Owch, thats a hell of a lot a valuable airframes lost – I think we would have been ok with the raid if the Royal Navy forces had not been there as well. That added a lot more enemy planes into the area. Now its time to bring the KB's back to Japan to repair and rearm – they've been out for over six months now, and need a bit of TLC.
We've done more damage than we've received though, as all three British carriers will need repairs as well. Shame the American carriers haven't been seen in months.

A couple of older kills and a level bomber sniping target.

In good news, the British pilots were overestimating their hits! Both of our carriers are not damaged from today's attacks!
I got lucky!

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Are you sure you don't want to pursue? You torpedoed all three fleet carriers, they're not going to sink from that, but it will slow them down. You also have vastly more planes than they do, since their armored decks reduce their capacity.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Velius posted:

Are you sure you don't want to pursue? You torpedoed all three fleet carriers, they're not going to sink from that, but it will slow them down. You also have vastly more planes than they do, since their armored decks reduce their capacity.

They're in port at the largest Allied shipyard on the west side of the map. If he doesn't sink them at their berths, they can and will just sit there and repair the damage.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

The Sandman posted:

They're in port at the largest Allied shipyard on the west side of the map. If he doesn't sink them at their berths, they can and will just sit there and repair the damage.

If they're actually in port then their CAP number is halved, making them even more vulnerable. One of them is heavily damaged already. Having the opportunity to sink three fleet carriers in early '42 seems like it's worth the loss of some pilots, particularly since the enemy has lost a number of planes already as well.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Velius posted:

If they're actually in port then their CAP number is halved, making them even more vulnerable. One of them is heavily damaged already. Having the opportunity to sink three fleet carriers in early '42 seems like it's worth the loss of some pilots, particularly since the enemy has lost a number of planes already as well.

They all ate torpedoes, the planes are flying off the airfield so they'd be at full CAP.

e: And iirc none of those carriers would be in-theater for long anyways.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

But isn't there a ground-based airfield there? The issue is that Grey is expending completely irreplaceable carrier pilots in order to maybe put damage onto some lowgrade British carriers in port where they can repair, and where the Brits can replenish continuously (so they shouldn't have any shortage of torpedoes for example).

Grey's boats have to retreat. If even one of his important ships gets significant damage, it'll slow the whole task force down and they'll keep getting hammered while running out of their own sorties.

Anyway Grey, those LIberators are hitting your ships in light rain from 8k feet and your Nells are missing in heavy rain from 14k feet. My guess is, it's the difference between a really good level bomber below the cloud deck vs. a mediocre level bomber above the cloud deck.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Those carriers really cant do anything but dick around in the Indian Ocean or sit at Colombo for a year or two anyways. Unless Grey is planning on doing a bunch of landings in India it isn't worth losing the pilots that the IJN will desperately need over the next year.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Grey Hunter posted:

:Tries to bomb cruisers from 14,000 feet:
:Complains about not hitting anything:

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Grey Hunter posted:

Did 9 Nells with 63 men on board just get lost like a set of car keys ?

Puukko naamassa
Mar 25, 2010

Oh No! Bruno!
Lipstick Apathy

Grey Hunter posted:

In good news, the British pilots were overestimating their hits!

Unlike our pilots, who totally put torpedos into a jetty and two piers three British CVs.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Saros posted:

Just do it, cut your teeth on a small scenario to figure out the basics first however and ask questions in the Grognard thread. If you're not already watching it I also have a WITP LP against Paradigm blue, another goon.

I am going to do it. Tonight perhaps!

And thank you for the link to your match. It is very interesting to read through that. I assume PBEM is really the way to go with this game. Once you learn it, that is.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Grey, you let my lucky ship, the Soryu, take a bomb hit. Please be more careful in the future.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

CeeJee posted:

Did 9 Nells with 63 men on board just get lost like a set of car keys ?

They flew into an electrical storm to do a bombing run. They did not fly out again.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Your fighter pilots are dogshit.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Ograbme posted:

Your fighter pilots are dogshit.

Yeah, that part where 43 Zeros went against a bunch of Hurricanes and Martlets and went 0-4 was pretty pro.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Velius posted:

Maybe, but the CAP provided by CV Ceylon is more than enough to compensate

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah, so much for invaluable experienced pilots.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I vaguely remember there being a list of when you're getting new ships, is that right? If so, Grey, do you think we could get a sceencap? :)

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Ok so, how the hell do you defend Akyab? I have 4 Divisions there and I can't get supplies shipped there since my cargo doesn't unload there.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Dreamsicle posted:

Ok so, how the hell do you defend Akyab? I have 4 Divisions there and I can't get supplies shipped there since my cargo doesn't unload there.

I don't know why your cargo wouldn't unload there - make sure that you have the port built up. You can also try changing your cargo TFs to amphibious if you think the port is your bottleneck. What's the port level currently?

Alternatively just drop the cargo at Chittagong and ensure you have Akyab set to draw supplies. Turn stockpile on so no supplies head the opposite direction.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Anyway Grey, those LIberators are hitting your ships in light rain from 8k feet and your Nells are missing in heavy rain from 14k feet. My guess is, it's the difference between a really good level bomber below the cloud deck vs. a mediocre level bomber above the cloud deck.

Totai Maru probably has a top speed of about 11 knots, whereas Chester & co. top out at three times that. That's not a trivial difference for evasion.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

paradigmblue posted:

I don't know why your cargo wouldn't unload there - make sure that you have the port built up. You can also try changing your cargo TFs to amphibious if you think the port is your bottleneck. What's the port level currently?

Alternatively just drop the cargo at Chittagong and ensure you have Akyab set to draw supplies. Turn stockpile on so no supplies head the opposite direction.

Oh, I can't believe I never saw that. What does the (Max:150) mean though?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We drive off a sub attack on our battleships.

They sail into Soerabaja.

We begin bombarding the base. This should help our men on the ground.

This is a good use of battleships.

We also take out some Patrol boats.

The British send some destroyers to hunt our fleeing carriers. We take one out.

It looks like the KB's are safe now.

A bunch of our ships sink from sniper bomber damage. Why they pick the same day I have no idea.

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Dreamsicle posted:

Oh, I can't believe I never saw that. What does the (Max:150) mean though?

That's the maximum the base can draw a turn. If you can drop at Akyab directly it will be a faster process. I still can't figure out why you can't offload supplies at Akyab - what's your port level there?

In addition to port levels, moving a unit with Naval Support there will increase your load/offload speeds as well.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That right there is a lot of oil spent to blow up some oil refineries.

edit - Cool though. That shoreline's gonna look a bit different in the morning.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

paradigmblue posted:

That's the maximum the base can draw a turn. If you can drop at Akyab directly it will be a faster process. I still can't figure out why you can't offload supplies at Akyab - what's your port level there?

In addition to port levels, moving a unit with Naval Support there will increase your load/offload speeds as well.

It was zero. That's what I meant by "never saw that"

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Dreamsicle posted:

It was zero. That's what I meant by "never saw that"

Oh, gotcha. For now, change your cargo TFs to Amphibious TFs to drop the supply at Akyab, and get some additional engineers in there to build up the port level.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh come on!

Hey! We got one for once!

Two in a day! Our pilots are learning.

Our forces are hounded south from Siam.

A quiet day, things are moving back to bases. Then our base points drop by 300. because whatever.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Grey Hunter posted:

Our forces are hounded south from Siam.

That's what you get for taking forces that were tasked with capturing the historical capital of China and sending them to Thailand to find evil cats.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Please stop blaming pilots for missing bombing runs 5000 meters above your target. :(

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 19, 2016

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Please stop blaming pilots for missing bombing runs 5000 meters above your target. :(

I think he's more complaining that the Allies aren't :p

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Veloxyll posted:

I think he's more complaining that the Allies aren't :p

They are going in at much lower altitudes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

steinrokkan posted:

They are going in at much lower altitudes.

And carry more bombs

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

And are probably better pilots by now, too.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Oh thank god.

This is killing me! Where are the destroyers?

We get a hit in, but our fighters take the day off. I think I'm going to be very annoyed today.

My god those Wellington's are accurate.

reinforcements storm ashore from the remaining boats.

I'm glad that sub captain was such a bad shot!

I really want to believe, but I'm sceptical. She was in port.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Twenty-six Wellingtons drop 234 bombs (assuming they're all 500lb and they're all fully loaded). Eight B25Cs drop another 48 500lbs and possibly another 64 250lb bombs depending on their loadout.

They dropped 282 - 346 bombs from 8000 ft for 6 hits. ~2%. It's not unreasonable for what I would assume is a fairly tightly grouped taskforce as a target.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

It's happening again!

I need to get more men in here.

The enemy level bombers continue their improbable accuracy.

We're going to take heavy losses today – many ships from yesterday have already sunk.
We get the entire force of the RAF over our heads, but once we take Akyab, we have somewhere to base our fighters.

China's been quiet recently, but rest assured, I'm still at work here.

Another base falls to our troops!

Move along! Nothing to see here!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
16,000 ft is taking the piss a bit, especially with those bombers. Blenheims don't carry more than two 500lb bombs each.

Are all these ships actually sitting at harbour unloading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I almost feel like the AI gets different rules for level naval bombing. That's nuts.