Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is Black Sails on any streaming platform? It doesn't seem to be on Netflix, Prime or Hulu.

It's on the Starz upgrade for Prime Video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

morestuff posted:

I don't have any interest in the Sandler stuff but Netflix in general is pretty great about adding interesting mid-tier indies. Demanding a platform like that only caters to your interests seems kind of weird

Eh, my big issue is why Adam Sandler? Netflix seems to be really good at catering directly to it's prime audience with it's series, but Adam Sandler really does not fill this mold.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, my big issue is why Adam Sandler? Netflix seems to be really good at catering directly to it's prime audience with it's series, but Adam Sandler really does not fill this mold.

Just pretend Sandler died after Reign Over Me and was replaced with a duplicate.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Iron Crowned posted:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I don't have any interest in the Sandler stuff but Netflix in general is pretty great about adding interesting mid-tier indies. Demanding a platform like that only caters to your interests seems kind of weird

Well, I'm "demanding" in the sense that I'm deciding to not pay for the service anymore. That's how these things work right?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

No one here is really asking for an Indie-only streaming service. But right now is a time for everyone to have their own streaming service dedicated to pretty much any genre or audience. Are they all good? No, but they cater to their specific demographic. And in a few years, most will die or be bought out, while some grow and flourish. So asking for a service that caters to indie movies is not weird, because it probably already exists (without googling it, I'm sure there's something called Indie Darling or some poo poo).

Iron Crowned posted:

The past few years have seen the release of many fantastic films produced for barely any money (comparatively). Think about The Grand Budapest Hotel, Inside Llewyn Davis, Inherent Vice, The Lobster, Super, Her, Chef, The Babadook, It Follows, Boyhood. All of these were made by top-tier directors working with budgets under $30 million. These movies had to have physical distribution and advertisements, which usually match the budget of the movie. Now consider that Netflix doesn't HAVE to include physical distribution or advertisements, because it's all internal.

Now consider that The Ridiculous Six has a budget of $60 million, most of which went straight into Sandler's pocket for frowning in a cowboy hat while Kevin James farts on Native Americans.

Now consider that Netflix agreed to do this at least four times.

Now consider that this is your money.

"Claims" is an interesting word, in all it's implications.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It should say 'confessses'.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking "Wishes"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Norm Macdonald as Nugget Customer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

The past few years have seen the release of many fantastic films produced for barely any money (comparatively). Think about The Grand Budapest Hotel, Inside Llewyn Davis, Inherent Vice, The Lobster, Super, Her, Chef, The Babadook, It Follows, Boyhood. All of these were made by top-tier directors working with budgets under $30 million. These movies had to have physical distribution and advertisements, which usually match the budget of the movie. Now consider that Netflix doesn't HAVE to include physical distribution or advertisements, because it's all internal.

Now consider that The Ridiculous Six has a budget of $60 million, most of which went straight into Sandler's pocket for frowning in a cowboy hat while Kevin James farts on Native Americans.

Eh, for now I'm content if it means I get more BoJack Horseman, or season 2 of Lady Dynamite. For now there's enough other things that I'm interested in that I can overlook Adam Sandler.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Franchescanado posted:

They're spending like $6 billion on content this year alone, so some (a lot) of that is probably going to go to stuff I don't like. But they also bought more movies than any distributor at this year's Sundance, they're spending a lot on documentaries, they have a deal with the Duplass Brothers that's similar to the one with Sandler, and I can generally count on them to buy streaming rights to interesting free agents like Tangerine, Heaven Knows What, Girlhood, and Two Days, One Night. It's not like they're really ignoring that side of the market.

It's obviously your dollar, so if Sandler turns you off that much I get not wanting to contribute. But in general the stuff they're spending on seems pretty well-rounded, and a lot of people love turds so I can't really blame them for buying some turds

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am totally willing to pay a month to binge on Bojack season 3.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

"Claims" is an interesting word, in all it's implications.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It should say 'confessses'.

The problem is memes. At some point everyone started agreeing that Adam Sandler sucked, but there's no equivalence between the popular opinion and his empirical market value. It must mean, per Hundu, that we're all just lying.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I definitely think the public at large loves Sandler, a big part of the reason he's The Worst on the internet.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I definitely think the public at large loves Sandler, a big part of the reason he's The Worst on the internet.

I admit that I used to, and I like his first 3ish comedies, and I thought he was really good in Punch Drunk Love, but it's just garbage these days

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The thing is that The Ridiculous 6 is aspiring to be some kind of Stephen Chow, absurdist action comedy, and is filled with some genuinely clever and even acerbic gags. Like baseball, the great American past-time, being created by an egotist exploiting immigrant labor and rigging the rules to benefit his shortcomings; or Vanilla Ice portraying Mark Twain as a wigger.

Despite their pandering overtones and overt product placement, Sandler's films are always at least engagingly eccentric.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

K. Waste posted:

The thing is that The Ridiculous 6 is aspiring to be some kind of Stephen Chow, absurdist action comedy, and is filled with some genuinely clever and even acerbic gags. Like baseball, the great American past-time, being created by an egotist exploiting immigrant labor and rigging the rules to benefit his shortcomings; or Vanilla Ice portraying Mark Twain as a wigger.

Despite their pandering overtones and overt product placement, Sandler's films are always at least engagingly eccentric.

Nice try, Sandler. Please leave SA, we see past your sad smug shrugging lirs .

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I was a huge Sandler fan and when I was a kid Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were two of my most prized VHS tapes. I've seen lots of Sandler movies in the theatre, I stayed with it all the way until Mr. Deeds.

People love him, I get it, but its just not for me anymore. I have no problem with Netflix spending money on him in a business sense, I'm sure he actually does bring in huge viewing numbers. It just makes me less interested in subscribing going forward, its one more thing to add to the pile of reasons Netflix isn't the necessity it once was for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Netflix should fund a reality show that mimics Billy Madison's plot, but Sandler has to go through four years of film school. If he passes, he gets to make a new movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Franchescanado posted:

Nice try, Sandler. Please leave SA, we see past your sad smug shrugging lirs .

Adam Sandler is merely holding a mirror up to consumer society and truthfully reflecting the most vile things about it. He's an auteur of the lowest kind of art, which is still worthwhile to interpret critically. He makes terrible comedies, but great think-pieces.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

K. Waste posted:

Adam Sandler is merely holding a mirror up to consumer society and truthfully reflecting the most vile things about it. He's an auteur of the lowest kind of art, which is still worthwhile to interpret critically. He makes terrible comedies, but great think-pieces.

Yes but I also hate Buzzfeed.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Yes but I also hate Buzzfeed.

Fair.

I'm just saying, the real question isn't "Why does Adam Sandler keep getting to make movies?"

The real question is, "How has this guy not teamed up with Michael Bay yet?"

Like, I'm sure Bay has a far better work ethic, but what they could do together I think would be far more terrifying and revelatory than, like, Reign Over Me or Punch-Drunk Love.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Franchescanado posted:

Netflix should fund a reality show that mimics Billy Madison's plot, but Sandler has to go through four years of film school. If he passes, he gets to make a new movie.

I love you.

K. Waste posted:

Is this a CD quote?

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Sandler needs to be the wise-cracking crime boss in Bad Boys 3 with Bay at the helm with plenty of poo poo blowing up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Franchescanado posted:

I also can't justify supporting a company that continues to waste money on Adam Sandler movies when there are actual great filmmakers out there struggling with distribution or funding projects.

Spending money on something that makes you more money than you spent on it is actually the exact opposite of wasting money.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Lady Dynamite. I almost loving love it, but somebody did that thing where you write the script after filming and poorly dub it in when you can't see the actor's mouth. Continually, for the entire series.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

morestuff posted:

Netflix in general is pretty great about adding interesting mid-tier indies.

Yeah really by far the best thing about Netflix currently is that I seem to be able to find a solid movie I've never heard of almost every time I look. Their selection of Hollywood stuff seems to get spottier by the day but there is no shortage of good stuff to watch.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Speaking of, I often find myself reading threads like this and just adding recommended movies as they come along, only once or twice having been steered wrong by goons.

I added it to my queue so long ago that I couldn't begin to guess who recommended "Call me Lucky" but thank you, I really loved it. Just like it advertised, I'd never heard of Barry Crimmins before watching it, but what an incredibly interesting person, and an incredible person as well. If you have a soul this documentary will make you cry, but it'll be worth it. Highly recommended.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Mescal posted:

Lady Dynamite. I almost loving love it, but somebody did that thing where you write the script after filming and poorly dub it in when you can't see the actor's mouth. Continually, for the entire series.

I haven't seen Lady Dynamite yet but the amount of obvious ADR in Kimmy Schmidt is legit distracting. I keep wondering what the production cycle looks like when so many one-liners are clearly dropped in later.

Joose Caboose
Apr 17, 2013

Franchescanado posted:

I only stayed for the 2016 Disney deal, but I haven't actually seen anything from that.

I think they announced this will actually kick in and well start seeing things in September

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah really by far the best thing about Netflix currently is that I seem to be able to find a solid movie I've never heard of almost every time I look. Their selection of Hollywood stuff seems to get spottier by the day but there is no shortage of good stuff to watch.

Oh, most definitely, I do wish that it was easier to just navigate everything with the android ap though.

Or at least give me a random button, that'll give me a random thing to watch.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I haven't seen Lady Dynamite yet but the amount of obvious ADR in Kimmy Schmidt is legit distracting. I keep wondering what the production cycle looks like when so many one-liners are clearly dropped in later.

Ha. Wow. I just realized that the reason I never noticed this is that I mostly watch those shows in the background while playing Hearthstone. Normally that kind of thing would drive me nuts.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's always weird to me when people can't separate their opinion of something from the actual reality of things. I mean I too dislike Sandler but acting mystified as to why Netflix would want to work with him is weird as is insisting that their just lying when they say that the exclusive movie they have from the popular comedian is really popular.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I didn't notice it much the 1st season, but it is extremely noticeable in the 2nd season. Titus looks like a ventriloquist on occasion.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bad ADR could be part of the show, like Snuff Box.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

It's always weird to me when people can't separate their opinion of something from the actual reality of things. I mean I too dislike Sandler but acting mystified as to why Netflix would want to work with him is weird as is insisting that their just lying when they say that the exclusive movie they have from the popular comedian is really popular.

It's almost like people can post exaggerated opinions for comedic effect. On a comedy forum.

Seriously though $60 mil for a lackluster Sandler comedy is a lot. Half of that could produce similar results with higher profit margins.

I just think that a company that tries to do interesting things with original content in their shows and especially their documentaries would pursue more interesting films or movies than mulitple comedies with a guy that brags about making lovely movies to go on vacation.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You say that first part but still seem to have trouble with why Netflix would be interested in having exclusive rights to four films from a popular comedian who tends to pull in a ton of money even if his movies are basically lazily written vacations. Like the quality of his movies doesn't matter. He tends to make money despite what any of us think of him, and apparently Netflix are pretty happy with what he's done for them so far so it's pretty easy to understand why they would have done this rather than a dozen shows that would be of a better quality but probably get far less actual views.

Besides, this isn't really an either/or situation. It's not like Netflix had been slacking on the interesting creative content because they also gave Sandler money. Hell the popular shlock like the Sandler clicks and Fuller House makes them feel better about also taking risks on the side

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Mr. Robot is on Amazon Prime now. Literally last week I paid for the season. :mad:

Oh well, it's probably a good idea to throw money at good shows sometimes.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

I didn't notice it much the 1st season, but it is extremely noticeable in the 2nd season. Titus looks like a ventriloquist on occasion.

Yeah I don't remember having a problem with it in Season 1, though I do remember being distracted by it on occasion in 30 Rock too. Maybe rewriting jokes after shooting is de rigueur for Fey et. al. but it happens often enough it starts to make the production feel a little amateurish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have never noticed that, and I've seen every episode of 30 rock / Unbreakable

gently caress am I going to start noticing it now