Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Mechanical Fiend posted:

The pull-to-refresh spinner should be replaced with the throbber as well.

Pull-to-throb... I like it!

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You can almost feel all the throbbing in here

It's a good time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bum the Sad posted:

Did you make that word up.

"Throbber" dates back to early versions of Netscape. The loading-indicator logo was an N that throbbed disconcertingly.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Subjunctive posted:

"Throbber" dates back to early versions of Netscape. The loading-indicator logo was an N that throbbed disconcertingly.

Shut up nerd.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Here's a request unless I've missed it somewhere; on the pop-up dialog you get when you press down on a thread (with "Last Page" "Mark Unread" etc.) could you add "Last Post"? I know there's a last post option when you tap the page counter within a thread (which doesn't work, by the way) but it would be handy to get to the last post of a thread from favorites and stuff without having to go to the last page and then scroll down to the last post. There's still room on the pop-up dialog so I figured it could go there pretty nicely. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
This might just be me but it'd be nice to have pull for next page and pull to refresh as different toggles

I'm not a fan of pull to next page but I'd still like to be able to check for new posts when I get to the bottom of a thread

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Getting a lot of crashes lately when opening rap sheets or profiles. Is this a known issue? (6+ iOS 9.3.2)

Also is there a better way than this thread to provide feedback? Definitely love the app and want to provide whatever details I can.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bum the Sad posted:

Shut up nerd.

:smith:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I've got some sample HTML dumps of pages with the "you've been probated" tag on them. Where should I put them for someone to use/parse and display in the app (so that people don't just get a mysterious "couldn't parse the preview" error when trying to post)?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I'm on iOS 9.3.2 on a 6S and the app crashes really frequently when I open it up. It usually happens once and works normally and happens again if I leave the app for too long and reopen the app. I don't force close it or anything so I'm assuming it's something to do with the save/suspend state and memory access or something but I'm not an iOS dev. How can I get you information you need to debug this?

Also minor peeve: the "go to last post" thing should technically read "go to last page" because it doesn't technically take me to the last post.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

By popular demand I've made it so Last Post will try to jump to the last post, but due to the nasty nature of image and tweet loading, it may not always work (but it will get you closer than it used to.) I'll try and think of some strategy I can use to get all these different things I want to happen after the page stops changing size.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Awful is so much snappier and faster. The new loading icon is awesome but everything loads so fast now I can barely see it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The new loading icon is great!

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

The :v: throbber is great, thx you all for your courage

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I like the throbber. It makes me happy.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Wrong thread.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
The loading symbol made me smile, thanks devs. :unsmith:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Is there a way to tell other apps to open SA links in Awful?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Is there a way to tell other apps to open SA links in Awful?

No, but there are a couple things you can do to make things slightly easier.

- You can copy a url, then when you open Awful it should ask if you want to open it in the app.

or

- You can paste the url into Safari, but change the "http/https" to "awfulhttp/awfulhttps", and it will open in the app.

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
Just a heads up handout seems to be more inconsistent. Before I would be able to get a thread almost instantly now it's kind of random if handout will activate (and sometimes it gives me my bookmarks instead of the page). Haven't changed anything and handout works fine for regular Safari. I'm using an iPhone 5/iPad latest version of awful on the apple store. It's not a big deal obviously I can just copy the link, but just thought I should mention it.

Love the smiley.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Handoff hasn't done anything for me for months.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

This loading symbol is loving amazing

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hello thread,

The loading icon is really cool. The app is really Good and I appreciate all the hard work you guys have put into it so I can use the forums on the go.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

various cheeses posted:

This loading symbol is loving amazing

:agreed:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Could it be added to the favorites page too? The old spinny iOS loading thing is still there.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm thinking of switching down to 3G so I can watch that thing spin more.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Caithness posted:

This is also happening for me

Same on the latest version.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

withak posted:

I'm thinking of switching down to 3G so I can watch that thing spin more.

If your throbber persists for more than four hours please see a phone doctor

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Stare-Out posted:

Could it be added to the favorites page too? The old spinny iOS loading thing is still there.

Yes, all app spinnies should be replaced with the new throbbing. e: because it's the best

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
The :v: throbber is amazing; kudos to the goon who designed it. I almost regret having a great internet connection.

pokeyman,
When the latest Awful app version restores from the background, it doesn't return to my last position on the page. I need to scroll down to where I was in order to continue avoiding work reading. Something broke the update before last; any idea what happened?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Grundulum posted:

pokeyman,
When the latest Awful app version restores from the background, it doesn't return to my last position on the page. I need to scroll down to where I was in order to continue avoiding work reading. Something broke the update before last; any idea what happened?

I reported this one a few days ago and here's the response I got. Hopefully he can figure it out for the next version! :)

IllegallySober posted:

Previous to the last update if I returned to the app and it had to refresh, once it loaded it would return me to the last-read post on the page. Since the last update it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore.

iPhone 6+, latest OS and released app version.

pokeyman posted:

I hate web views. And scroll views. I'll take a look!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
As someone who travels a fair amount, but likes to read long threads for fun, would there be any recourse for some sort of offline mode pulldown? Like, say, I want to read the TVIV GoT thread on a flight (shut up, I'm weird) I wouldn't mind being able to at least read the text of the thread (image pulldown could be optional, but probably an absolute faff in the backend), and save it in app so I could read it as normal.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who travels a fair amount, but likes to read long threads for fun, would there be any recourse for some sort of offline mode pulldown? Like, say, I want to read the TVIV GoT thread on a flight (shut up, I'm weird) I wouldn't mind being able to at least read the text of the thread (image pulldown could be optional, but probably an absolute faff in the backend), and save it in app so I could read it as normal.

This sort of exists already, you just need to manually load a bunch of pages

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

Every time I click a quote link to go to the post being quoted it just ends up on the top of the page. This is very annoying and makes it very hard to read large threads.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

I'd tap that post to find it so I can also requote it, but alas.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I'm still looking into it.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Better start talking to Lowtax...

https://techcrunch.com/2016/06/14/apple-will-require-https-connections-for-ios-apps-by-the-end-of-2016/

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

In fact, Awful.apk has been running on https since February and I haven't gotten a single complaint about it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Non https images will not display, right?

Or does the app use WKWebView to display the posts? That seems to have an exception to the policy.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 16, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I seem to remember pokeyman switching the app over at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

zen death robot posted:

The forums already work over HTTPS so no big deal

Oh they do? I guess it's not the default then, since only the login form has been HTTPS for me.

• Locked thread