Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

emdash posted:

slate has a headline up now: "Can Muslims be Americans?" http://www.slate.com/articles/news_..._making_it.html

:barf:

The answer will surprise you.

yes

Edit: "Can Jews be Americans?"
"Can Catholics be Americans?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
From a couple pages back, but it still kind of blows my mind that Trump has worse unfavorables among blacks than among Hispanics. Like, I wasn't expecting blacks to be huge Trump fans or anything, but given that his entire campaign has been one giant "FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" to the Hispanic community, I always figured they'd be at the top of the list.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/gabbygiffords/status/743494454108131329

:smith:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know this isn't US politics, but I see assassination, do they believe it's politically motivated?

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

zoux posted:

I know this isn't US politics, but I see assassination, do they believe it's politically motivated?

He screamed "Britain First" before/during.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

zoux posted:

allegedly, the assassin shouted "Britain First" before attacking

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

weekly font posted:

He screamed "Britain First" before/during.

Seriously? Jesus Christ, I only saw the headlines and figured it was just random violence, that's super hosed up.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Who else would come first? Is he the British version of our jackasses who hate refugees?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

From a couple pages back, but it still kind of blows my mind that Trump has worse unfavorables among blacks than among Hispanics. Like, I wasn't expecting blacks to be huge Trump fans or anything, but given that his entire campaign has been one giant "FUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU" to the Hispanic community, I always figured they'd be at the top of the list.

I know too many of my :ese: brothers spouting "Free college? Someone still has to pay for it!" Like yeah, brilliant, no one has thought about that part of the equation. You're so smart! I tell them all the time they're all so smart how nothing gets by them like that. :jerkbag:

also, in the shadow of the Oregon standoff, old folks starving...
https://twitter.com/cranky_david/status/743254921349214208

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

zoux posted:

We don't know for sure yet, but my feeling is yes. Two witnesses heard the killer shout "Britain First!", some random Twitter feed has turned up links to a far-right magazine, and he had to get the expertise to make his own gun from somewhere. But there's also another witness who didn't hear anything, and someone else who says Jo intervened in a confrontation between the killer and someone else.

e: Britain First is a fascist organisation with a focus on Islamophobia, by the way.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

zoux posted:

Investigations on going and our police aren't know for being particularly chatty during an investigation so it could be a while before we know. From what little some people reported the guy shouting "Britain first!" while he did it, which are a group here of Nationalistic pricks who make even die hard Trump fans look like nice, well reasoned people. They're denying it was them, but I wouldn't trust them on loving anything so we'll see.

It's almost certainly politically motivated though. Nobody in the UK is carrying around a makeshift firearm just for a lark, this was a planned killing of an MP we just don't know why yet. Since they have the guy in custody we'll probably find out soon enough.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ever been in a Turkish prison black site?

Is that lil' Marco on the left?

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

WampaLord posted:

My god, why would you wish that on anyone?

Did you forget what happened the last time Obama hugged a Republican governor?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

As more young men spend more time indoors playing video games, they spend less time out on the street getting into trouble. Ergo, video games are responsible for the drop in gun violence. Also, for the increase in players mom's getting hosed.

I know you're joking but criminology confirms pretty strongly that many crime rates correlate heavily with things that have an effect on males aged 16-24 being out of the house and congregating in public spaces. Crime spikes during the summer months for example.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Riosan posted:

It's been so long since I've even heard Johnson's name that I legitimately can't remember if he's the batshit crazy every five minutes Rand Paul kind of libertarian, or if he's the batshit crazy sovereign citizen change-your-last-name-to-Freeman kind.
He's a Republican who doesn't mind legalizing weed. Funnelled three hundred million dollars to a Koch subsidiary straight from state coffers. Mark Ames had this excellent hit piece on him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pumpinglemma posted:

We don't know for sure yet, but my feeling is yes. Two witnesses heard the killer shout "Britain First!", some random Twitter feed has turned up links to a far-right magazine, and he had to get the expertise to make his own gun from somewhere. But there's also another witness who didn't hear anything, and someone else who says Jo intervened in a confrontation between the killer and someone else.

e: Britain First is a fascist organisation with a focus on Islamophobia, by the way.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/742695148241313792?lang=en

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Family of AR-15 Inventor Eugene Stoner: He Didn't Intend It for Civilians

quote:

"Our father, Eugene Stoner, designed the AR-15 and subsequent M-16 as a military weapon to give our soldiers an advantage over the AK-47," the Stoner family told NBC News late Wednesday. "He died long before any mass shootings occurred. But, we do think he would have been horrified and sickened as anyone, if not more by these events."

"What has happened, good or bad, since his patents have expired is a result of our free market system," Stoner's family said. "Currently, a more interesting question is 'Who now is benefiting from the manufacturing and sales of AR-15s, and for what uses?'"

That's the question for the rest of us.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Jarmak posted:

I know you're joking but criminology confirms pretty strongly that many crime rates correlate heavily with things that have an effect on males aged 16-24 being out of the house and congregating in public spaces. Crime spikes during the summer months for example.

I was being half serious. I think video games were a contributing factor along with wage growth in the 90s.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

zoux posted:

Hahaha I wonder if there's a difference between Vietnam, Afghanistan and the continental US. Can anyone think of any?

The Vietcong didn't have tacticool AR15s

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

turevidar posted:

Reek Christie

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Obama is truly the king of trolls. Rubio is getting the Christy treatment.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

No Butt Stuff posted:

Who else would come first? Is he the British version of our jackasses who hate refugees?

In case you didn't know, the UK is going to be voting on leaving the EU soon and the Britain First! people are the ones who think the EU is filling the UK up with refugees who want to destroy their way of life.

So essentially, yes.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I think I have some easy to implement gun control. You want a gun, then you need a gun license. We already have conceal carry license, so this would be an extension of that idea. Also, the gun license course would probably be something like the training courses police officers go through. For example, when an officer learns to use pepper spray, they are pepper sprayed in the face once to know how it feels. This will teach them the impact pepper spray can have so they know to responsibly use it. Similarly, civilians in a gun license course will be shot in the face once to know how it feels.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So Debbie Wasserman Schulz is no longer the chief operator of the DNC, though she still retains the title

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/politics/hillary-clinton-campaign-dnc/index.html

quote:

Hillary Clinton's campaign is taking the reins of the Democratic National Committee, installing a new top official on Thursday to oversee the party's day-to-day operations through the general election.

Brandon Davis, national political director for the Service Employees International Union, will become the general election chief of staff for the Democratic Party. His selection formalizes the coordination of the Clinton campaign and the committee, a stark contrast to Donald Trump who is currently at odds with his party....

"This is in fact what happens," Howard Dean, former Democratic Party chairman, told CNN. "Debbie will still have the title, but somebody else will be the effective operator of the DNC. It's Hillary's pick."...

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

theblackw0lf posted:

So Debbie Wasserman Schulz is no longer the chief operator of the DNC, though she still retains the title

Would be curious to know the inside baseball of how this came about, it can't purely be for show as it doesn't actually remove her from the title.

Largely to be welcomed though I think.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

They've gotten what they needed out of DWS and will now soak up good will for replacing her after she may or may not have made the primary season easier for Hillary.

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock

turevidar posted:

I was sure I've seen this kind of dead "I just realized I sold my soul" stare within the last day or so...

It's like in the Two Towers when Grima Wyrmtongue sees Saruman's army for the first time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I think I have some easy to implement gun control. You want a gun, then you need a gun license. We already have conceal carry license, so this would be an extension of that idea. Also, the gun license course would probably be something like the training courses police officers go through. For example, when an officer learns to use pepper spray, they are pepper sprayed in the face once to know how it feels. This will teach them the impact pepper spray can have so they know to responsibly use it. Similarly, civilians in a gun license course will be shot in the face once to know how it feels.

I'll gladly take a 7,62x39 to the face to earn my right to bear arms.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Looks like Bernie got a concession out of Hillary in their meeting.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

RuanGacho posted:

Would be curious to know the inside baseball of how this came about, it can't purely be for show as it doesn't actually remove her from the title.

This is par for the course

quote:

In an interview on Thursday, Dean recalled how he transitioned immediately to simply raising money and campaigning for Barack Obama in 2008 after Paul Tewes, a trusted Obama aide, stepped in to lead the committee.
"We basically just turned it over to him and I left the building to him. He ran the DNC," Dean said. "It was very clear I wasn't going to be running the DNC as soon as there was the a nominee."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

Obama did the exact same thing in 2008. In June no less.

Read nothing more into it than "the DNC is shifting into general election mode" and the presidential race is their biggest task.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/deadlineusa/2008/jun/05/obamateamjoiningupwiththe

Efb

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

berserker posted:

I was sure I've seen this kind of dead "I just realized I sold my soul" stare within the last day or so...

It's like in the Two Towers when Grima Wyrmtongue sees Saruman's army for the first time.

Peep my MS Paint Skillz:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Peep my MS Paint Skillz:

No, pretty sure that is Chris Christie.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

No, pretty sure that is Chris Christie.

touche

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/mikedebonis/status/743509256834547714

SOMEbody's lagging in the polls

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sad. Sad and desperate.

Edit: I mean, it's hard to imagine something more desperately pathetic than picking Sarah Palin as your VP, but somehow he managed it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

This is why you think banning semi auto is reasonable. Its like banning ABS in cars because its featured in almost every drunk driving accident.

I know this is from a few hours ago but I have to ask: do gun people have get-togethers where they brainstorm these moronic analogies?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Surely was sourced incorrectly and should've been "Former McCain Running Mate Palin:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

blue squares posted:

I know this is from a few hours ago but I have to ask: do gun people have get-togethers where they brainstorm these moronic analogies?

Talking points memos from the NRA, mainly.

• Locked thread