Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Joachim1167 posted:

+1 on Mads as Euron.
I'd never say anything bad about the show ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Azazell0 posted:

Euron just looks like Theon's uncle who has spent 10 years in a cave living off fish rather than plundering and pillaging half the world.

Euron looks like Theon's brother. He's way too young, unless the character is meant to be that young, I can't remember much about him from the books because the Kingsmoot stuff bored me to death and I skimmed most of it.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

The current mountain is pretty amazing.

New mountains problem is that he's not an actor, and it shows.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

WampaLord posted:

Euron looks like Theon's brother. He's way too young, unless the character is meant to be that young, I can't remember much about him from the books because the Kingsmoot stuff bored me to death and I skimmed most of it.

Pilou Asbćk could probably have been a good Victarion, but Euron is creepy and menacing. After the lovely Kingsmoot episode, Gurm did a reading of a Winds of Winter chapter featuring Euron.

It's pretty intense.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ifyou wanu talk lieyk Littlefinger... You needtu keep theh sighyds uv yer tongue gloood to yer molars and pause, awkwardly Sansa.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
that's the most accurate littlefinger accent representation - it changes completely between the beginning and end of the sentence.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

AV Club video about how awesome & innovative that Waif chase scene was

I'm not usually one to claim paid advertising but between this and them giving that episode a B- they're not making it easy

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It was very innovative. I had never scene a foot chase that involved carts of produce being knocked over or one person sliding under one before. Truly ground breaking.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

AV Club video about how awesome & innovative that Waif chase scene was

I'm not usually one to claim paid advertising but between this and them giving that episode a B- they're not making it easy

I went back and looked at their Season 5 finale review. They gave it a B+ and didn't even mention the "bad pussy" line. :cripes:

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i liked the chase scene

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lovechop posted:

i liked the chase scene

I didn't mind it, but it wasn't special or well directed in any way shape or form.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Lovechop posted:

i liked the chase scene

Fly away troll.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Solice Kirsk posted:

I didn't mind it, but it wasn't special or well directed in any way shape or form.

i'd say the last part was really well done. the twist and build up to it was great.

it wasn't the most amazing chase i'd ever seen but it's strange to me that people think it was so incredibly awful. i had fun watching it.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

It was competently made but nothing groundbreaking. I think most people dislike how little sense it makes in context to the story.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lovechop posted:

it wasn't the most amazing chase i'd ever seen but it's strange to me that people think it was so incredibly awful. i had fun watching it.

I couldn't enjoy it at all because of my lack of suspension of disbelief about her injuries. If Arya had only been superficially wounded by the waif, the chase would have been a cool scene, but I'm sitting there yelling "You can't be running, you should barely be walking!"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah in a vacuum it was a fun chase scene. Well made, but not groundbreaking. In context w/ the episode and one before it, though, bitch shoulda ripped her stitches way earlier.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
It had no tension. You knew if she was stabbed several times and it had no effect on her that she was invincible and wasn't going to die. The whole thing was stupid. The Waif doing Terminator mannerisms made me laugh.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Not to mention the entire thing should have been in just one episode instead of split up. I would have been worried they were gonna kill Arya if they just had her staying with the actress waiting for the boat to leave and that's how the waif caught her and then they had the chase and maybe she got stabbed right before she cut the candle or something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Littlefinger will show up to save Jon and capture Bolton. Then this will happen :

Littlefinger : Was getting caught part of your plan?
Ramsey: Of course!

Then his 20 good men will kill everyone and kidnap Sansa.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Batman is the hero this story needs but not the one it deserves.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Super Ninja Fish posted:

It had no tension. You knew if she was stabbed several times and it had no effect on her that she was invincible and wasn't going to die. The whole thing was stupid. The Waif doing Terminator mannerisms made me laugh.

yeah i immediately thought of the T1000 from Terminator 2

which isn't ag ood thing, the waif is like a 20 year old woman lol

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

esperterra posted:

Yeah in a vacuum it was a fun chase scene. Well made, but not groundbreaking. In context w/ the episode and one before it, though, bitch shoulda ripped her stitches way earlier.

I am surprised they had them rip at all

small comforts

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
D&D doesn't have time to read books or previous scripts they wrote that portray Arya and Faceless Men differently.

Man's runnin' a business. They don't got time for that crap. Little girl needs to get stabbed, put her in broad daylight. Waif needs to die, make her walk into the cellar and forget all her training. You know who cares about that stuff? Nerds. You know who doesn't? The majority of the poor schmucks still paying for cable...still paying for HBO no less. There's no time for rewrites, push that crap out the door. Time is money.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
The chase sequence wasn't badly made, but you knew it didn't matter before it started. Arya is trying to leave Bravos, the Waif is trying to kill her, the plot demands a confrontation between the two before Arya spends the voyage home polishing her plot armor. As soon as Arya turns and jumps out the window you know that the Waif is going to catch up to her, there is no tension.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The only casting for major characters thats glaring is Littlefinger. You'd think that the guy that did a good job exploring the complexity of Mayor Carcetti could handle a dude, that is for the most part in the books, pretty understated, but both the writing and his choices in line delivery and accent have made a truly bizarre character. I mean, Show Littlefinger is his own beast now, who goes around slitting throats, creeping on ladies, lisping threats to everyone and everyone just kind of shrugs around him. It's almost more inexplicable than Ramsay, because Littlefinger interacts with all the major characters and isn't even under suspicion.

There are some casting changes that change the nature of the character, like Tormund, but do it in a cool direction and make something new out of it. Tommen is a non-entity in the books but I feel like Dean-Charles Chapman does a really excellent job making a sweet naive character who's gonna get brutally murdered

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mike N Eich posted:

There are some casting changes that change the nature of the character, like Tormund, but do it in a cool direction and make something new out of it. Tommen is a non-entity in the books but I feel like Dean-Charles Chapman does a really excellent job making a sweet naive character who's gonna get brutally murdered

I really enjoyed his "OMG, sex is awesome! Why don't we just stay in here and bang literally all the time? I'm the King, I could make that happen!" stuff with Margery. The show usually sucks at non-Tyrion humor.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
The casting choice for Ser Pounce was excellent

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

turevidar posted:

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

Rose Leslie as Ygritte and Christopher Hijvu as Tormund. Ciarán Hinds was great as Mance but he didn't quite match the image of him I pictured in my head when reading about him. He's a bit too old to be infiltrating castles and impersonating bards.

Hinds was great but I also agree, they originally approached Dominic West, which I don't see at all.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

turevidar posted:

I disagree, they had to fire the actor because he would always misbehave and do his own thing on set.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

I disagree, they had to fire the actor because he would always misbehave and do his own thing on set.

So does Bronn, but we all love him!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I feel like Beric Dondarrion's current look is way closer to my picture of Euron than his actual actor. This Euron reminds me of a slightly expanded Pacey from Dawson's Creek.

Conversation also reminded me of this:

Not for that reason, but I thought Asha was one of the worst-cast characters; though, they changed her name to Yara so maybe the change was entirely intentional, which is fine. I'm fine with the actress.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 16, 2016

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Captain Lavender posted:

I feel like Beric Dondarrion's current look is way closer to my picture of Euron than his actual actor. This Euron reminds me of a slightly expanded Pacey from Dawson's Creek.

Conversation also reminded me of this:

Not for that reason, but I thought Asha was one of the worst-cast characters; though, they changed her name to Yara so maybe the change was entirely intentional, which is fine. I'm fine with the actress.

It's pretty funny that they changed her name from Asha to avoid any confusion with Osha, but changed it to Yara, which could easily be confused with Arya depending on the accent.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Especially since Osha has had so many memorable scenes. poo poo, I think the last time we even saw her was in S3(?) when she took Rickon away so Bran could go on adventures. And even back then, I doubt many non-readers knew her as anyone besides "that one wildling chick who works for the Starks and took her shirt off that one time. Wasn't she on Harry Potter or the Hobbit or something?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Especially since Osha has had so many memorable scenes. poo poo, I think the last time we even saw her was in S3(?) when she took Rickon away so Bran could go on adventures. And even back then, I doubt many non-readers knew her as anyone besides "that one wildling chick who works for the Starks and took her shirt off that one time. Wasn't she on Harry Potter or the Hobbit or something?"

Someone forgot about her getting killed by Ramsay when she made her triumphant return to the show earlier this season. She had like 4 lines and everything!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DrNutt posted:

It's pretty funny that they changed her name from Asha to avoid any confusion with Osha, but changed it to Yara, which could easily be confused with Arya depending on the accent.

If the show runners had any foresight or common sense, they'd have changed her name to Victaria

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Or if they knew their audience they could have named her "that one Viking/pirate girl."

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Captain Lavender posted:

Yara seems to be a combination of Asha and Victation, so the name change makes a bit of sense as she is really a distinct character.

Edit: basically this

skasion posted:

If the show runners had any foresight or common sense, they'd have changed her name to Victaria

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or if they knew their audience they could have named her "that one Viking/pirate girl."

The audience would have consistently forgotten who this was, unless she was referred to as "that one Viking/pirate girl, Victaria, Theon's gay sister".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Super Ninja Fish posted:

So....Ramsay and Arya walk into a bar...

Who lives and who dies?

• Locked thread