Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

DOMDOM posted:

i'm ok with some grit but the beauty of good trek is the balance

except for that bullshit baseball episode, that was hosed

death to the opposition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man I kinda forgot they were even doing a NuTrek show

hope it's good but outlook is poor

I think they got some good writers/show runner. The fact that it's going to be on CBS streaming means nobody is going to watch it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I like the baseball episode, but it's also really weird that Ben Sisko knows so much about a sport that was extinct before he was even born.

Also lol, of course baseball goes extinct and in the 24th century, soccer is still around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also lol, of course baseball goes extinct and in the 24th century, soccer is still around.

truly the darkest timeline

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

RVWinkle posted:

I think they got some good writers/show runner. The fact that it's going to be on CBS streaming means nobody is going to watch it.

The wrath of khan/undiscovered country director is working on it

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

truly the darkest timeline

As long as football, basketball and wrasslin' are still around, it's all good.

Also somehow Worf accidentally killed a kid playing soccer. How do you even do that? Football I can understand, but soccer? Usually in soccer, people just get killed outside of the game. And it's done on purpose.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
his forehead was without honor

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
I know that's pretty much what turned him into such a dour, humorless rear end in a top hat. Which was always funny to contrast with other Klingons, who just loving drunk and wenched it up with each-other each night even in the middle of a civil war.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also somehow Worf accidentally killed a kid playing soccer. How do you even do that? Football I can understand, but soccer? Usually in soccer, people just get killed outside of the game. And it's done on purpose.

Maybe in the future American Football is called soccer and soccer is football?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Worf is probably the best, most comedic character in the entire franchise precisely because he's so humorless and takes himself way too goddamn seriously.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Captain, I must protest! This birthday party is :qq: without honor :qq:.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Worf is probably the best, most comedic character in the entire franchise precisely because he's so humorless and takes himself way too goddamn seriously.

Like earlier on it seems like the writers don't "get" this but later on it's definitely played for laughs sometimes and it's great either way

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe the kid was diving so Worf "accidentally" killed him because he was without honour.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

truly the darkest GREATEST timeline

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I read somewhere that Michael Dorn would call up the other actors in the middle of the night in character and ask them questions about the script.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

I like how Michael Dorn does WoW voices so I can imagine Worf is the puppet master behind some of the NPCs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Like earlier on it seems like the writers don't "get" this but later on it's definitely played for laughs sometimes and it's great either way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dy1Xq9a1qOI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKiAhTbpL4Y

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Yeah, he really was the best 'cause of poo poo like this.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I'm Picard just sitting there shaking my head

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

RVWinkle posted:

Voyager being on UPN kept me from seeing more than one episode of it so it might be a good tradeoff if it turns out bad

naem
May 29, 2011

Klingons, cardassians, bajorans, retiring to their quarters after a long day, spending an hour or so scrubbing out their forehead crinkles with q-tips and rubbing alcohol

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

naem posted:

Klingons, cardassians, bajorans, retiring to their quarters after a long day, spending an hour or so scrubbing out their forehead crinkles with q-tips and rubbing alcohol

I wonder what Ferengi q-tips look like.

I hope it looks like this.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

VendaGoat posted:

Creaming in my pants right now

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Hasn't it already been confirmed that the new Trek series is gonna take place in the JJ Trek timeline? I just hope we don't get a ton of stories about how secretly corrupt Starfleet is. I feel like between later TNG and DS9 we already got enough of those stories.

Also, watching TOS Metamorphosis yesterday, were they really all smiles letting that Starfleet ambassador lady get possessed by The Companion, and living out her life on an asteroid possessed and banging Zephrym Cochrane? I know Elinor Donahue played a really annoying character, but that still seemed weird to me.

Darth Continent
Dec 13, 2004

I sense a
disturbance
in my bowels...
Janeway isn't my favorite Star Trek Captain.

I was put off by her decision-making in the very first episode. I mean there they are in the Delta quadrant, basically trapped, but in their presence is the Caretaker. Do they hit him up for the necessary means to get back to the Alpha quadrant? Nope, for the sake of science, exploration, and "hay guyz we need a plot device to trap these suckers to enable them to go on crazy adventures for this new series", instead of raiding the Caretaker's technology like shoplifters at a dollar store they shrug their shoulders and decide it's okay to be stuck for the foreseeable future, never to see their loved ones again.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
In the 24th century humanity has evolved beyond the need for loved ones, basic security, and even survival.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

VendaGoat posted:

they would make a lot of cat friends with that :catstare:

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Darth Continent posted:

Janeway isn't my favorite Star Trek Captain.

I was put off by her decision-making in the very first episode. I mean there they are in the Delta quadrant, basically trapped, but in their presence is the Caretaker. Do they hit him up for the necessary means to get back to the Alpha quadrant? Nope, for the sake of science, exploration, and "hay guyz we need a plot device to trap these suckers to enable them to go on crazy adventures for this new series", instead of raiding the Caretaker's technology like shoplifters at a dollar store they shrug their shoulders and decide it's okay to be stuck for the foreseeable future, never to see their loved ones again.

Like 5 or 6 years later Janeway feels really bad about it for an episode though and mopes in her quarters the whole time.

EDIT: Is it weird that Captain Picard Day falls so close to Fathers Day? This is what I would have expected for Commander Riker Day :riker:.

Blood Shart fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

Close, that's what's known as a "personal oomox aid".

You can find that model and many like it at bad-nagus.com

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Every male ferengi keeps one of those hidden in his closet.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Fister Roboto posted:

Close, that's what's known as a "personal oomox aid".

You can find that model and many like it at bad-nagus.com

freakyferengiearsex.com

HOT LOBES

POOR BUSINESS ACUMEN HUMILIATION VIDS

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Monkey Fracas posted:

POOR BUSINESS ACUMEN HUMILIATION VIDS

:potg:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

VendaGoat posted:

Close:

The cleaning head seems to be a little pinwheel shaped thing. But I presume there are many styles of attachment and are a large driver of Ferengi commerce and innovation.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Coulda been worse

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I like the little drawing of their ships on their foreheads.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
moon god?

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

I wish they had continued DS9 for one more season but with no new storylines, just showing the consequences of the dominion war and its aftermath. Specifically, I want to see Rom get thrown from the ferengi tower of commerce for causing a quadrant-wide economic crisis due to his radical reforms.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Coulda been worse

yikes that one on the right

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like the baseball episode, but it's also really weird that Ben Sisko knows so much about a sport that was extinct before he was even born.

Ya, I've disliked the whole "connect with the modern audience" thing. It comes off as awkward. Like with the hundreds of worlds out there, earth history is the only history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
buncha fuckin baseball hating nerds in here

you know what happens to nerds dontcha