Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

88h88 posted:

Maybe we'll leave the EU, plunge the entirety of the UK into poverty and get WW3 on the go before 2016's out. The gently caress is wrong with this year, man?
Stupid people, mainly, same as every other year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Someone has shot and killed an MP in Yorkshire. This poo poo does not happen here.

And was chanting the name of a British isolation group both during the attack and during arrest.

But the guy was white, so he'll be declared a lone wolf.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

And was chanting the name of a British isolation group both during the attack and during arrest.

But the guy was white, so he'll be declared a lone wolf.
That's a lot less of an issue over here, we've had enough experience of terrorists-wot-aint-brown for (sensible) people to not to do that as much.

Britain First are proper, full-on, drive-them-back-into-the-sea racist bigots, not just the "racist" that people think of as a stereotype of a certain kind of Trump supporter or anything. The only reason they aren't fascists is that they can't spell it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

That's a lot less of an issue over here, we've had enough experience of terrorists-wot-aint-brown for (sensible) people to not to do that as much.

Britain First are proper, full-on, drive-them-back-into-the-sea racist bigots, not just the "racist" that people think of as a stereotype of a certain kind of Trump supporter or anything. The only reason they aren't fascists is that they can't spell it.

Yeah, in the D&D UK thread, someone was mentioning they ran a militia training camp a few months ago. Creepy.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Britain First are full on morons, their 'leaders' can barely speak English properly let alone offer any sort of coherent argument as to why they think like they do.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

What's an MP? Is that like a British Police officer? I know them as military police in the US armed forces.

Also, why do I want a motorcycle again? Haven't ridden since 2012 and I'm getting the itch. That honda CBR650F looks loving sweet. My wife would probably divorce me :negative:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BloodBag posted:

What's an MP

Member of Parliament, equivalent of a US Congressman.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

BloodBag posted:

What's an MP? Is that like a British Police officer? I know them as military police in the US armed forces.
Member of Parliament.

It could be taken as Military Police, too, I suppose, but that's so much rarer that it's usually contextually understood to be the former, and our "correct" version is RMP, Royal Military Police.

Edit:
This classic interview is a good depiction of the makeup of Britain First and the EDL (English Defence League):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYd9qbRz2fc

And cannot be posted without the remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIPD8qHhtVU

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 16, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BloodBag posted:

Also, why do I want a motorcycle again? Haven't ridden since 2012 and I'm getting the itch. That honda CBR650F looks loving sweet. My wife would probably divorce me :negative:

...I see no downside, more time for riding.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Eye witness reports about the gun used in the attack are strange saying it looked "old fashioned" or "handmade"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

corn in the fridge posted:

Eye witness reports about the gun used in the attack are strange saying it looked "old fashioned" or "handmade"
It could be anything, probably 99% of people in this country have never seen a real firearm, let alone know about them.

But it was clearly something with the capability to fire multiple shots in succession, so it can't be something really old.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

InitialDave posted:

This classic interview is a good depiction of the makeup of Britain First and the EDL (English Defence League):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYd9qbRz2fc

'Muslamic' law is the worst man. Holy poo poo the stupidity...

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

88h88 posted:

...I see no downside, more time for riding.

Stop making sense, you... rapscallion!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Without getting back into gun chat but I don't really want to wade into GBS and I don't think tfr has a bunch of UK posters, what are the laws for firearm ownership in the uk? Handguns in particular? I believe it's way more stringent compared to even Canada.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

slidebite posted:

Without getting back into gun chat but I don't really want to wade into GBS and I don't think tfr has a bunch of UK posters, what are the laws for firearm ownership in the uk? Handguns in particular? I believe it's way more stringent compared to even Canada.

You need a certificate and the handgun has to be over a certain length to be legal. I think only single shots and rimfire semiautos are allowed too?

EG:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

But it was clearly something with the capability to fire multiple shots in succession, so it can't be something really old.

Guess that depends on what your definition of "really old" is, considering revolvers have been around in some form or another since the mid-1830s.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Ozmiander posted:

You need a certificate and the handgun has to be over a certain length to be legal. I think only single shots and rimfire semiautos are allowed too?

EG:

Selfie stick?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

EG:

Pretty sure the pictured gun would be illegal in the US since it appears to be suppressed, and hand guns aren't allowed any sort of extension back from the grip. I'm not even sure what that extension thing is supposed to be for, a brace along the bottom of the forearm?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Suppressors are legal in the US, you just need to jump through some hoops to get them.

if you reverse GIS that image it goes to a UK legalized pistol blog post of some sort...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

slidebite posted:

Handguns, short answer is "no".

Slightly longer answer is there are very very specific allowances for collectors of antique weapons, but that is by no means a work-around to let you own something "usable". You can have a muzzle-loader, but if you want a 1911 or something, basically, yeah, no.

In general, you can have a shotgun on a shotgun certificate, but it must not be able to hold more than three cartridges (crimping the tube to reduce capacity on a pump action etc is acceptable). A shotgun certificate and the related guns are, for lack of a better description "needs a good reason not to let you have one" territory.

Anything else, that's a firearms certificate. This is "you need a good reason to have one, and we'd better like that reason".

Member of a shooting club, shooting a specific calibre, and if that calibre isn't .22 rimfire, you're not allowed semi-auto, got to be bolt or lever action etc. Long guns only. All guns specifically named and approved on your certificate, ammo limited by quantity you can hold and quantity you can buy at any one time, everything locked up separately in approved (really approved, police-firearms-officer-round-your-house-to-check-it-out approved) secure containers, similar restrictions transporting it to where you will shoot.

You yourself interviewed, background checked, vouched for by respectable people and so on.

There's more detail than that, but I'm not expert enough to write it in a concise and comprehensive way.

In short, to legally get firearms and ammo here is very, very tightly controlled.

Illegally? I have no idea.

Geoj posted:

Guess that depends on what your definition of "really old" is, considering revolvers have been around in some form or another since the mid-1830s.
My definition of "really old" is older than that. Though a revolver that uses a no-longer-available calibre (as in, one not listed in the relevant section of the guidance documents) could probably count as an antique collectible.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
That's legal in the US. You just need a tax stamp, background check by BATFE, and fill out a form. It also has to have your name engraved on it. Full auto weapons are legal this way as well provided they were manufactured before a certain date. They are also legal if your licensed to make them yourself. I knew a guy in VA that had a remote controlled turret mounted .50 cal full auto browning machine gun on his pinagauzer. It was also legal for him to drive around with it loaded, which he did.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The Locator posted:

Pretty sure the pictured gun would be illegal in the US since it appears to be suppressed, and hand guns aren't allowed any sort of extension back from the grip. I'm not even sure what that extension thing is supposed to be for, a brace along the bottom of the forearm?

The grip extension is weird, but it's not technically a stock since it's not intended for shouldering (there are goofy AR pistol "braces" that fall under the same category in the US). If I recall correctly, it's purpose is to make the gun large enough to be legal.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Suppressors are legal in the US, you just need to jump through some hoops to get them.

if you reverse GIS that image it goes to a UK legalized pistol blog post of some sort...

So yea, I guess I could have clarified, I was sort of ignoring Class III stuff since that is typically outside of the scope of this sort of conversation, just like fully automatic weapons.

You could not just walk into a gun-shop and purchase a suppressed 1911 without a lot of effort, money, and background checking.

rdb posted:

That's legal in the US. You just need a tax stamp, background check by BATFE, and fill out a form. It also has to have your name engraved on it. Full auto weapons are legal this way as well provided they were manufactured before a certain date. They are also legal if your licensed to make them yourself. I knew a guy in VA that had a remote controlled turret mounted .50 cal full auto browning machine gun on his pinagauzer. It was also legal for him to drive around with it loaded, which he did.

Yep, as I said, and apparently should have clarified, I felt that stuff was outside of the scope of the conversation. I used to work at a full class III dealer, and we had a bunch of fun autos and suppressed guns, and an indoor range to play with them. I've also been up to Dillon and seen one of his legal mini-guns, and live in Arizona, which is home to a big machine-gun shoot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also, bear in mind we used to have legal handguns with somewhat similar rules to long guns, but that got changed after Dunblane, and they were taken off everyone.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

Also, bear in mind we used to have legal handguns with somewhat similar rules to long guns, but that got changed after Dunblane, and they were taken off everyone.

Handguns are still legal in the uk, just harder to get and have dumb poo poo attached to them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ozmiander posted:

Handguns are still legal in the uk, just harder to get and have dumb poo poo attached to them.
The limitation by which a handgun can be legally owned here is such as to make it semantics.

Previously, it was more like the restrictions currently in place on firearms in general.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

The limitation by which a handgun can be legally owned here is such as to make it semantics.

Previously, it was more like the restrictions currently in place on firearms in general.

Bullshit. It's the same argument as when people in the US say that machine guns and suppressors are illegal.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ozmiander posted:

Bullshit. It's the same argument as when people in the US say that machine guns and suppressors are illegal.

What's wrong with your brain?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ozmiander posted:

Here is the guidance on firearms law. Pay particular attention to sections 3, 8, and 9. A large number of the apparent loopholes that would seem to allow for ownership of something are specifically called out and countermanded.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CharlesM posted:

What's wrong with your brain?

What's wrong with your posting?

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

Here is the guidance on firearms law. Pay particular attention to sections 3, 8, and 9. A large number of the apparent loopholes that would seem to allow for ownership of something are specifically called out and countermanded.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/518193/Guidance_on_Firearms_Licensing_Law_April_2016_v20.pdf

You're not actually disproving what i said though. I said single shots and semi auto rimfires.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ozmiander posted:

You're not actually disproving what i said though. I said single shots and semi auto rimfires.
Barrel length of less than 30cm or total length under 60cm is the killer for anything "handgun", and any kind of screw-in device to make a short barrel long would be taken an extremely dim view of by the powers that be.

Basically, the only actual handgun you can own and use is a muzzle-loader, something like a flare gun, or something low-powered air.

Yes, you can have a long-barrel pistol provided it met the dimensional restriction, and at that point it is treated as per the normal long gun rules - but at that point, it being a "handgun" in the sense in which the term is generally used is hair-splitting.

My point is, you used to be able to own and shoot a common-or-garden revolver or semi handgun, as is familiar to the average American shooter.

To say that our legislation as it stands now allows handguns because there is is a way to make a "handgun" that fits the definition as permitted is to miss the point entirely.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

Barrel length of less than 30cm or total length under 60cm is the killer for anything "handgun", and any kind of screw-in device to make a short barrel long would be taken an extremely dim view of by the powers that be.

Basically, the only actual handgun you can own and use is a muzzle-loader, something like a flare gun, or something low-powered air.

Yes, you can have a long-barrel pistol provided it met the dimensional restriction, and at that point it is treated as per the normal long gun rules - but at that point, it being a "handgun" in the sense in which the term is generally used is hair-splitting.

My point is, you used to be able to own and shoot a common-or-garden revolver or semi handgun, as is familiar to the average American shooter.

To say that our legislation as it stands now allows handguns because there is is a way to make a "handgun" that fits the definition as permitted is to miss the point entirely.

Come off it. A 1911-22 with a long barrel and a coat hanger is still a handgun, regardless of what your legal system calls it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

InitialDave posted:

American gun owners are totally used to idiotic laws that ban certain features, and even more idiotic modifications to get around those laws. We understand, dude.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ozmiander posted:

Come off it. A 1911-22 with a long barrel and a coat hanger is still a handgun, regardless of what your legal system calls it.
As you can imagine, this poo poo is somewhat more annoying when you're on the inside of it.

Put bluntly, I want a CZ75. I used to be able to have one. Now I cannot. Wankers. Repeat for half a dozen other guns.

Safety Dance posted:

American gun owners are totally used to idiotic laws that ban certain features, and even more idiotic modifications to get around those laws. We understand, dude.
If we had the kind of grandfathering that seems to apply in the US when someone get these ideas into their head, it'd probably be a lot more tolerable.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

InitialDave posted:

As you can imagine, this poo poo is somewhat more annoying when you're on the inside of it.

Put bluntly, I want a CZ75. I used to be able to have one. Now I cannot. Wankers. Repeat for half a dozen other guns.

If we had the kind of grandfathering that seems to apply in the US when someone get these ideas into their head, it'd probably be a lot more tolerable.

So did i. It took me over two years and hundreds of dollars to be able to get it, and i had to modify it make it "compliant".

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

gently caress. Both our other drivers got into a wreck this week so I'll be working alone today and probably tomorrow. It'll be the third time this week I've been delivering alone since we have no staff left. Not even making good money since everything takes two+ hours to get delivered and despite being told 3 hours idiots are still ordering then calling an hour later asking where their food is. :argh:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

scuz posted:

Shameless self-plug/cross-post from NMD incoming:

I play bass in a band from Minneapolis, Minnesota. We are called The Right Here. It's twangy punk rock, like if Roger Miller and Merle Haggard went to shows at CBGB instead of hanging out in Nashville. We play a lot of punk shows, we all love punk music, and wrote this album called Stick To The Plan. Here's a link to the album on bandcamp, just gotta scroll down a bit to get to the whole album. It would be really cool to know what you all think about it.

I really dig this, thanks dude!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Anyway, since loving gunchat again is super lame... How about how great 4 cylinder motorcycles sound?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDfmxMuPi4s

:awesome: :gizz: :awesome:

E:petrol, the thing that surrounds and binds our community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
I can't be assed to pay 9 whole European fun bucks to watch the 24 hrs of Le Mans. But I will spend 2-3 hours to look for a sopcast or acestream link for it. :shrug: On an unrelated note, I've seen like 4 different NSX's in the past 2 weeks, all within about 3 km of each other.

I know this is from like 8 pages ago, but I haven't been around for 2 weeks.

leica posted:

I pretty much disowned my father and his wife for poo poo like that. After having my son the entitlement was unbearable.

You are like the 4th person to tell me to sever. I know I should. But they're my parents, I can't do that.

• Locked thread