Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

panda clue posted:

microsoft would never force an operating system on their loyal users
especially not an upgrade to play the next year's games that they're withholding via DirectX ransomware

that would just be sick and wrong and i'm glad it's never happened several times

i know i know, :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

panda clue posted:

microsoft would never force an operating system on their loyal users

maybe they should

VideoGames posted:

What if Scorpio is the code name for a new iteration of Windows 10. Two years from now Microsoft might split Windows 10 into two separate OSes. Scorpio is designed for gaming like SteamOS. That way you can buy the gaming OS for a PC or little Microsoft console boxes (steamboxes) and technically you could have your teraflops on much more high end equipment that you already own.

It's not a great idea/prediction but neither has been anything else Microsoft has done lately.

On the other hand, this is borderline incoherent. There's not even a hideously misguided motive for Microsoft to do this.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The never ending Gift.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-16-1080p-project-scorpio-games-will-look-different-and-some-run-a-little-better-than-on-xbox-one-s

quote:

By Robert Purchese Published 16/06/2016

In an interview with Wesley yesterday, Xbox boss Phil Spencer strongly suggested that if you use a 1080p TV for gaming then the new and more powerful Xbox, Project Scorpio, "is not going to do anything for you".

"Scorpio is designed as a 4K console," he said, "and if you don't have a 4K TV, the benefit we've designed for, you're not going to see."

But in a more recent interview with GiantBomb, Spencer wiggled and said that a Scorpio-powered game "will look different" and may "run a little better" than on Xbox One or the Xbox One S.

The specific question Spencer is answering in the below quote is about Scorpio making an existing Xbox One game look and play better, and he used Halo 5 as an example.

"Halo 5 implements something called dynamic scaling, so as scenes get more complex, in order to maintain 60fps they will actually change the resolution that you're running at," he told GiantBomb (via Videogamer). "And they're not the only game that does this. So then if you run that game on Project Scorpio you're actually going to be at the max frame-rate of that game more often.

"I'm not going to put that as a top-selling feature of Scorpio because not all games use dynamic scaling; I'm trying to be transparent with people about where we are in the design of Project Scorpio and what it was designed for. It was designed in order to enable these high-fidelity 4K experiences. So some of the existing games will actually run a little better if they're using dynamic scaling, but I wouldn't buy Scorpio to run your existing library of Xbox One games [better]. I wouldn't suggest somebody does that.

"And then I get the question of well if you have an HDTV and you don't have a 4K TV, should you go buy Project Scorpio? And I guess some people will do that, and obviously Scorpio is going to be running the 6 teraflop version of a game, and that version of a game, even when downsampled to HD will look different than the game running at 1080p.

"But I still think of the complete Scorpio experience as somebody that has a 4K TV with Scorpio plugged into it. To take Scorpio and then plug it into an HDTV to me feels like you're taking a 4K frame buffer and down-rezzing it to show it on your TV. And the box will have downsampling - it will obviously show up on an HDTV - but the real design point for us, the motivation behind Scorpio, was 4K gaming, 6 teraflops. Some developers will take advantage of that 6 teraflops in different ways..."

That last point is the key point: "some developers will take advantage of that 6 teraflops in different ways". Microsoft won't force developers to use the extra Scorpio processing power to hit 4K; they're free to use it how they want. That's great. But whereas Microsoft sees Scorpio as the 4K machine, a developer may simply see it as 'more power' for a native 1080p experience, and that's where this idea of Xbox One and Scorpio playing the same games becomes murky. How can they be the same games - or are they the same in the way that Xbox 360 and Xbox One cross-generation games were?

It's great to see Microsoft aggressively pursuing no-frills raw console power again, but the Project Scorpio message is confusing for Xbox One owners - a topic Rich Stanton dived into earlier today.

It's worth also checking out Digital Foundry's dissection of the Project Scorpio specs to see how it compares to Sony's equivalent PS4K Neo, as well as to PS4 and Xbox One.

Microsoft announced a slimmer - and ever so slightly more powerful - Xbox One at E3 as well, and we've put together an article compiling all the Xbox One S details you need to know.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Is Microsoft selling TVs now?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

TheScott2K posted:

Yes, their 84" 4k model is $20k. Why do you ask?

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

TheScott2K posted:

i had the same thought when i was listening to that giantbomb interview

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

TheScott2K posted:

Microsoft is selling confusion, and buying terrible web pages.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lol no way this fuckin thing is ever released.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

They have no idea what Scorpio is going to be.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

scorpio is microsofts way of saying to ps4 owners "Get Over Here" and i for one support them

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

TheScott2K posted:

They have no idea what Scorpio is going to be.
The tried and tested Star Citizen way.

Somebody should ask MS if Serpico will run it.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Stux is here on vacation between probations everyone

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjqXbff1TEM
he thinks scorpio is doomed for other reasons than no exclusives but covered them in a different video.

Real hurthling! fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 16, 2016

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

People who make videos like this need to find a forum to effortpost their opinions on instead of talking into a camera in their nerd cave like they're hosting some loving gaming OReilly Factor

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TheScott2K posted:

People who make videos like this need to find a forum to effortpost their opinions on instead of talking into a camera in their nerd cave like they're hosting some loving gaming OReilly Factor

Blarging on YouTube doesn't require composition and apparently pays better.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Microsoft obviously doesn't know if 4K is gonna hit in a big way or not, it seems that Scorpio is hedging it's bets either way. Microsoft makes gambles which don't always pay off, and that people aren't ready for.

For instance, a lot of the "always online" Xbox One stuff came from their predicting that broadband would be more pervasive by this point. While it's true that some areas still have lovely Internet, many people are able to go digital, and many people have switched to streaming their media. (This is completely ignoring PC users and Steam, which also move broadband towards greater saturation.)

Sony made a similar gamble, which paid off, about the kind of RAM (the right kind, it turns out?)

The way it's being phrased, the 4K thing is a gamble, which Microsoft can put towards more horsepower if people fight them (and of course people will fight them, come on) on getting 4K TVs. Either way things will be (somewhat of) an improvement. Phil Spencer may be freewheeling and off-the-cuff but he's not going to pull a Peter Moleyneux. Things are still in the planning stages and I could give a poo poo less about 4K at this point. Microsoft is pushing things a little early, which is what it does. It's a loss leader in many ways, and drags everyone forward whether they like it or not.

Shitcanning the Xbox division? If it hasn't happened by now, it never will.

TL;DR: Microsoft is hedging it's bets and will change its tack based upon 4K TV sales. Who even knows how that will go.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

lack of broadband isnt the big "go digital" decision driver. Its simply a worse proposition all round than discs, especially for people that rely on the used market.

4k isnt a gamble, its obviously a dead end as 1080p at high bit rate is good enough for pretty much everyone, same as the MP3 in comparison to the dozen standards that tried to get by on quality arguments. 4k is just curved screens and glasses 3d all over again. Its not a strong enough selling point to overcome the price point of lesser tech.

The bone division has been given a crazy, unexpected last gasp in the Scorpio, if it comes out. Didnt they gut 343 recently? They have very little first party left that was not moved to HoloLenos.

Its on life support and its plug was re-located to one of those dangerous 8-outlet things as MS clearly has more pressing needs.

If Scorpio fails then Xbox fully becomes a PC-only platform and either gets GFWL'ed or they try to make a strange go of it trying to make Xbox a service that lets you play games across multiple platforms via ios/android/win clients and streaming renders for everything else.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

TL;DR: Microsoft is hedging it's bets and will change its tack based upon 4K TV sales. Who even knows how that will go.

phil spencer has said many times in many interviews that 4k is the entire reason for the existence of xbox scorpio. it is built specifically to target 4k because he thinks thats the next big thing in tech. him saying devs could use the power differently isnt him hedging his bets, its him trying to earn cred as the guy who just wants creators to have the freedom to chase their dreams.

next year when they talk about this more seriously i imagine he will change his tune and 4k will be a necessary feature, at least in the same way that their indie partners had to release only on xbox

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Resolution matters

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
The thing to remember about Microsoft's game division is that the board always saw it the way Turner did WCW: some carnie poo poo for kids. Like Billionaire Ted, Gates kept them spending money at a loss and when he left Balmer pushed for it (because Bill did, and he's sort of beholden to Bill) in the 360 years.

Both Gates and Balmer are gone.

If they made money, fine, whatever, but despite Microsoft having an insane amount of money that doesn't mean Xbox has an unlimited amount of time left (in the same way that Turner wouldn't let WCW go forever at a loss.) This is the company that spent billions on Nokia and Windows Phone but are slowly gutting the program period under the guise of "scaling back."

If the Slim or Scorpio don't turn things around, it's quite possible that the Xbox ends up turned into a Steambox type living room TV at best; at worst, they turn into a Zune music app brand name for games on PC and Microsoft leases their IPs to outside studios.

In March, they shut down Lionhead, with Fable Legends weeks or months from ready (depends on who you ask) and a ton of content that could be used to make a single player Fable 4 cheaply and easily. Lionhead was their fourth biggest studio.

343 got gutted. Sources on Lionhead's closing confirm that Halo 5 sold *very* poorly. One of Microsoft's dedicated indie studios got shut down.

Corporate is definitely tightening the belt this year and Spencer is following suit in trying to beef up profits.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They really should have named the Xbox S the Xbox Elite, unless, as they likely are, saving that for the Scorpio to be the Elite-branded console. It worked really well for them to sell that same plastic shell at double the markup less the cost of adding back-triggers.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Twenty Six Billion US Dollars for LinkedIn

panda clue
May 23, 2014
Halo 6 Teraflop Edition - coming only to the Microsoft Scorpio (and every computer, I guess)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
So is the borpio thread going to be merged with the boner thread now that it has the correct ram

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

So is the borpio thread going to be merged with the boner thread now that it has the correct ram

I missed this meme and I would really like to understand it. Did they say the scorpio will have 'correct ram' or something?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

I missed this meme and I would really like to understand it. Did they say the scorpio will have 'correct ram' or something?

Current rumor is it will have the right ram for the xb1 gpu but the wrong ram for the scorpio gpu because ms is always in such a catch up hurry they cant wait

The new vega chip scorpio will use from amd is built to take advantage of even righter ram and they are only using regular right ram so even this right ram is the wrong ram

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

man i should would be shocked and outraged if the ps4neo thread were made by a guy that outright refuses to own sony devices and devotes enormous amounts of time to RSS feeding his troll friends info on said corporation

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Real hurthling! posted:

Current rumor is it will have the right ram for the xb1 gpu but the wrong ram for the scorpio gpu because ms is always in such a catch up hurry they cant wait

The new vega chip scorpio will use from amd is built to take advantage of even righter ram and they are only using regular right ram so even this right ram is the wrong ram

I say it uses gddr5x but not hmb2. So righter ram but not the right ram.

That 320gb/s number definitely points in that direction because it's in the range of gddr5x but much slower than what hmb2 is capable of doing.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 17, 2016

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I wouldn't because it doesn't matter and people are enjoying themselves making fun of a multi-billion dollar corporation that couldn't care less what they think anyway.

Also this happens to be a forum with a certain biting tone of humor and discussion conflict should be looked at as a fertile opportunity for amusement rather than a road block in the way of serious discussion.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
how much 'serious discussion' can you have about a specs sheet?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Idk but also

I nominate captain rainbowbeard for OP of the Neo thread

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

timeandtide posted:

The thing to remember about Microsoft's game division is that the board always saw it the way Turner did WCW: some carnie poo poo for kids. Like Billionaire Ted, Gates kept them spending money at a loss and when he left Balmer pushed for it (because Bill did, and he's sort of beholden to Bill) in the 360 years.

Both Gates and Balmer are gone.

If they made money, fine, whatever, but despite Microsoft having an insane amount of money that doesn't mean Xbox has an unlimited amount of time left (in the same way that Turner wouldn't let WCW go forever at a loss.)

Turner would've probably kept shoveling money into the barrel fire that was WCW. The problem was that Time Warner merged with AOL and so he was no longer able to keep shoveling money into the barrel fire.

Does anybody in Microsoft have that Gates/Balmer dream of continually shoveling money into the Xbox brand in the long term is the question.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

panda clue posted:

how much 'serious discussion' can you have about a specs sheet?

:chanpop: << my specs when i saw that sheet

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

ethanol posted:

man i should would be shocked and outraged if the ps4neo thread were made by a guy that outright refuses to own sony devices and devotes enormous amounts of time to RSS feeding his troll friends info on said corporation

Yes how dare the biggest Xbox One fan on the forums post a thread about the next next Xbox. It would be terrible if people are over-informed about the latest news about the next next Xbox.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Biggest con on the forums maybe

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

They don't even have a prototype, they have a "thing we would like to do".

This is like those idiots arguing about how awesome their $2500 nonexistent spaceship is going to be in Star Citizen.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fox News is still news.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

They really should have named the Xbox S the Xbox Elite, unless, as they likely are, saving that for the Scorpio to be the Elite-branded console. It worked really well for them to sell that same plastic shell at double the markup less the cost of adding back-triggers.

im pretty sure there is an xbox one elite with a hybrid drive or something

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

They're not gonna keep the one branding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

drat it you are right, they make that. Shame on me for losing track of one of the 90 skus they made.

• Locked thread