Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
LeapMotion is cool, and their site hosts 119 demos you can play with: https://developer.leapmotion.com/gallery

wolrah posted:

I'm one of those people who prefers the "Duke" controller on the original Xbox and thinks a Galaxy Note 4 is a nice one-handed device. Now I'm really interested to try the Oculus Touch controls just to see how comfortable they actually are.

But can you palm a basketball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I was sad to discover that portal adventures didn't work with the leap. But the lab does!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Eyud posted:

Hi thread, I'm getting a Rift tomorrow and I'm very excited. I bought a Leap Motion to play with too, are there any games or demos that do cool stuff with it?

There are some hacks to get Vive games (with motion controls) working with the leap motion and the Rift but I hear it isn't the best or most enjoyable thing, also since you have to see your hands in order for them to be tracked a few of the games won't work since using motion controllers without looking at your hands is a thing that comes up often enough. Still, there is a lot of free content out there to at least mess with.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Angle the leap downwards and you don't have to look at your hands. It works a lot better than straight and you don't really put your hands over your head anyway.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

After I fixed all my issues with tracking:
This is the future, god drat.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I was considering porting some of my old Zombie Master maps to it, just for a look around them in VR. But I decided to try a bit of photogrammetry instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpgJvcAB0Q

(first pass, very crude)

Nice work.

I'm planning to port over the skyscraper helipad of my L4D2 map, it just seems like it's going to be a lot of work porting over the assets to Source 2. I already tired making a SteamVR photosphere, but it doesn't convey the height well enough.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

purchased

Uhh Nope
May 20, 2016
Is there a video or diagram somewhere that can explain to me how the "gesture" inputs work on the Touch controllers? Does it track all your fingers between the hand loops or what?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Uhh Nope posted:

Is there a video or diagram somewhere that can explain to me how the "gesture" inputs work on the Touch controllers? Does it track all your fingers between the hand loops or what?

The top of the controller and the trigger have capacitive sensors on it. So when you lift your finger off the button/triggers, it knows.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

But can you palm a basketball?

I don't own a basketball or similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB5pdWO25ac

Tested hands-on with Touch and interview with Palmer + Nate Mitchell.

Not really pushing the hard questions unfortunately.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I have that shooting range game. Is there any way to spin the room? It's always in the complete wrong direction from what my VIVE room is.

Is there a possibiliy to reoriantate the VIVE main room?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

wolrah posted:

I don't own a basketball or similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB5pdWO25ac

Tested hands-on with Touch and interview with Palmer + Nate Mitchell.

Not really pushing the hard questions unfortunately.

Best part about that video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQfjYcd2S1Y

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Chinaman7000 posted:

Run into any issues with foam pad grossness? Anyone sweat that poo poo up? I'm gonna have a similar situation soon and I'm worried about that part, and can't find any replacement pads for sale. Also didn't consider that universe sandbox would be that popular, I might pick it up.

My roommate is a loving sweat monster I found. I tried after him and it was literally sopping wet - disgusting, haha. Any cloth will just absorb it right back out pretty quick. Don't know what I'll do about long term funkiness...but nobody else there had any issues even long term (hour plus sessions). Definitely pick it up - it's gorgeous and packed with fun little surprises. The first time I created a sun it was so massive and bright that it scared the hell out of me. I looked behind myself and saw all of the comets in the area I painted streaming into it. Looked badass! I'd say have them play it after the easier demos/games. You want a good feel for how the controller works to really go through the menus quickly and do all of the cool stuff. When someone is really high or drunk it's tough to explain how to speed up time, change scale or go to the create menu!

vv good idea. If I can find material that won't be abrasive to people's faces over long sessions I'd rather tape it on or something.

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 16, 2016

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Incredulous Dylan posted:

My roommate is a loving sweat monster I found. I tried after him and it was literally sopping wet - disgusting, haha. Any cloth will just absorb it right back out pretty quick. Don't know what I'll do about long term funkiness...but nobody else there had any issues even long term (hour plus sessions).

You can remove the Vive headstrap completely, I was able to wash it gently with a small amount of handsoap and water and it didn't seem to damage it. Same deal with the foam, but it is annoying to take off.

Maybe getting some sort of thin cloth cap or something would be a good idea.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
PSVR is going to have public demos at select Best Buy and GameStops. Might be worth it to those sitting on their preorders or for those still on the fence:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/trial/

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

8-bit Miniboss posted:

PSVR is going to have public demos at select Best Buy and GameStops. Might be worth it to those sitting on their preorders or for those still on the fence:

Nearest one for me is 100 miles away. gently caress I haet living in the sticks.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Michaellaneous posted:

I have that shooting range game. Is there any way to spin the room? It's always in the complete wrong direction from what my VIVE room is.

Skeet VR is indeed backwards. If you want to face the other way you have to run the room setup again and reorient, AFAIK.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Sweet, there's some near me, I'll probably check it out

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I want there to be a roomscale VR game where you swing GoW Kratos' chain scythe axe things around

If there is one already please inform me so I can throw a lot of money at it

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Ciaphas posted:

I want there to be a roomscale VR game where you swing GoW Kratos' chain scythe axe things around

If there is one already please inform me so I can throw a lot of money at it

The wrist straps on VR controllers would certainly get a work out...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I was thinking more the controllers would still be your hands, just using the trigger to grab the chains at various points for leverage / swing distances

Swinging by the lanyards sounds fun too, if horribly destructive and unsafe :v:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The wrist straps on VR controllers would certainly get a work out...

I know this is a joke but please don't actually do this, the wrist straps on the Vive controllers are notoriously prone to snapping with even a small amount of force.

You should probably replace them with something better, actually. If you have Wii remotes those straps apparently work well (lol they better, rip an entire generation of TV's)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Bhodi posted:

Angle the leap downwards and you don't have to look at your hands. It works a lot better than straight and you don't really put your hands over your head anyway.

I havent played a game yet where my hands didnt end up above my head at some point doing something important.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I havent played a game yet where my hands didnt end up above my head at some point doing something important.

Eh, the leapmotion isn't going to be great regardless, may as well optimize it towards the most common use case.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Michaellaneous posted:

When you're doing the Vive room setup in one of the steps after drawing the room boundaries you can choose which side of your room rectangle the Vive considers "forward", which might fix your problem. My Vive always tries to set up things so I'm swinging things near my fish tank. It is out to kill my fish.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Cid posted:

When you're doing the Vive room setup in one of the steps after drawing the room boundaries you can choose which side of your room rectangle the Vive considers "forward", which might fix your problem. My Vive always tries to set up things so I'm swinging things near my fish tank. It is out to kill my fish.

Oh yeah, a lot of games will make it so what you choose as "forward" is actually "backward," I assume because you point at your monitor to choose the direction and it wants to encourage you not to smash it. For example Space Pirate Trainer the start and where the robots come from is on the opposite side of where you indicate your monitor is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

Oh yeah, a lot of games will make it so what you choose as "forward" is actually "backward," I assume because you point at your monitor to choose the direction and it wants to encourage you not to smash it. For example Space Pirate Trainer the start and where the robots come from is on the opposite side of where you indicate your monitor is.

Yeah this is the part where the room setup asks you to point at your monitor. Opposite that is the 'front' for SteamVR.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Michaellaneous posted:

This won't answer your questions about it, but I'm posting it because it's hilarious and I can't remember if I posted it before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UujtfN7hCdo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lemming posted:

Oh yeah, a lot of games will make it so what you choose as "forward" is actually "backward," I assume because you point at your monitor to choose the direction and it wants to encourage you not to smash it.
Also I think its working off the assumption that your computer is near the monitor so if you face the opposite direction the tether will be behind you.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

Also I think its working off the assumption that your computer is near the monitor so if you face the opposite direction the tether will be behind you.

Yeah that makes more sense

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Zero-G VR

This game imagines that you are an astronaut flying between bits of space station debris through rings in the air. The control scheme has forward and retro thrusters on your right and left triggers respectively, with attitude thrusters on the left virtual D pad. Unfortunately, it's not as cool as it could be: the attitude thrusters only allow for vertical and horizontal translation with respect to your next destination, which your movement is always oriented towards, seemingly. There's no sort of rotation control. This probably keeps the nausea down, but it makes for shallow gameplay.

Hitbox detection is pretty lovely. You're trying to enter ports that are not much bigger than your body, so often what looks like a clean entry has you violently bouncing off the frame. That, on the other hand IS nauseating. One level starts with you needing to thrust upwards through the port. It takes a bunch of wiggling to make it through, because you can't even see any sort of body model so you can tell what's colliding.

For the price, it's an alright experience, and probably a good 'VR Legs' demo for visitors, but it's not something I'll come back to, likely.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Pi Mu Rho posted:

I was considering porting some of my old Zombie Master maps to it, just for a look around them in VR. But I decided to try a bit of photogrammetry instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpgJvcAB0Q

(first pass, very crude)

You made this? is photogrammetry easy enough for a novice to do? I thought it was something you needed like, 12 cameras and a ton of equipment to even do. Any chance of knowing how you go about doing something like this, or a guide online somewhere? I'm going back to visit my parents in a few weeks and I love the idea of being able to do a photoggrammetry capture of their house, cabin, yard and other stuff.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

You made this? is photogrammetry easy enough for a novice to do? I thought it was something you needed like, 12 cameras and a ton of equipment to even do. Any chance of knowing how you go about doing something like this, or a guide online somewhere? I'm going back to visit my parents in a few weeks and I love the idea of being able to do a photoggrammetry capture of their house, cabin, yard and other stuff.
You don't need any special hardware, and you only need 1 camera, you just have to take a bunch of photos. There's a bit of technique to efficiently shooting things for photogrammetry, but its pretty easy for the most part. You need some software though and most of it is pretty pricey since this stuff is used commercially, best package I've used is Agisoft Photoscan which is $180 at the cheapest, although you can get a 30 day trial if you just want to capture a site or two. If you just want to do a small thing there is also Autodesk 123D Catch which is free andhas an iphone version, but is severely limited. There's also the open source VisualSFM but its a total pain in the rear end to use and I've never been able to get anything good out of it, everything is super sloppy and needs to be cleaned up.

I hear Reality Capture is going to come out with a consumer version on Steam soon, and I hear that's a pretty good package, but I'm not exactly sure when that will be.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone played War Thunder? Any thoughts on control scheme? I last played it a long time ago and back then the best controls were KB+M unless you were in supersperg sim mode, but that was with the third person view, so not really applicable in VR.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Any word on how much room space the Touch will use? I assume it will be smaller then the Vive? Will you need to place additional sensors around the room too?

My computer area is limited, so I'm wondering if the Oculus is a better choice because of that?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Grey posted:

Any word on how much room space the Touch will use? I assume it will be smaller then the Vive? Will you need to place additional sensors around the room too?

My computer area is limited, so I'm wondering if the Oculus is a better choice because of that?

So far, all the Touch specific things look like they're roughly standing scale, so you won't be moving around much. It's compatible with all the Steam software, though. From most accounts, we can guess that even if you have enough room, the tracking area is probably going to be smaller, but we're talking about only being able to do 2m x 2m (roughly? I don't know exactly what people have confirmed works well) instead of more or something.

I would say if you had a ton of room that would be points for the Vive, but if you don't have a lot of room, then it doesn't matter either way. I'd make the decision based on other factors, like HMD and controller ergonomics, in that case.

Edit: And we don't know what Touch will cost yet so price could be a factor.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

homeless snail posted:

You don't need any special hardware, and you only need 1 camera, you just have to take a bunch of photos. There's a bit of technique to efficiently shooting things for photogrammetry, but its pretty easy for the most part. You need some software though and most of it is pretty pricey since this stuff is used commercially, best package I've used is Agisoft Photoscan which is $180 at the cheapest, although you can get a 30 day trial if you just want to capture a site or two. If you just want to do a small thing there is also Autodesk 123D Catch which is free andhas an iphone version, but is severely limited. There's also the open source VisualSFM but its a total pain in the rear end to use and I've never been able to get anything good out of it, everything is super sloppy and needs to be cleaned up.

I hear Reality Capture is going to come out with a consumer version on Steam soon, and I hear that's a pretty good package, but I'm not exactly sure when that will be.

Thanks, I'll have a look into some of that software.

Ciaphas posted:

Has anyone played War Thunder? Any thoughts on control scheme? I last played it a long time ago and back then the best controls were KB+M unless you were in supersperg sim mode, but that was with the third person view, so not really applicable in VR.

In VR you basically have to play in supersperg sim mode, the casual modes will just get you destroyed by everyone flying with kb+m on a monitor. I quite enjoy it though, playing with a hotas setup at least, and I think the slower pace of sim mode where people aren't pulling off insane mouse aiming shots sucks you into the immersion more too.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I guess kazy will have to answer since he seems to be the only one with touch. Can you set up steam room scale with it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I played quite a bit of WT in 3dvr, including arcade in first person mode with mouse and it worked okay. That said, poo poo's not nearly as good as proper first person flying obviously. There's really not much sense of immersion in 3rd person.

I do still play arcade battles, but I do it in first person now, in the virtual cockpit (the thing that's just a HUD) and a joystick and I do okay as long as I don't gently caress up and get dragged into a turnfight.

Nothing beats simulator battles thou

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Cojawfee posted:

I guess kazy will have to answer since he seems to be the only one with touch. Can you set up steam room scale with it?

Yeah, I'd really like to know this as well. Does it work with existing room-scale games without the devs needing to explicitly code support in?