Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Any RTSes like Command and Conquer or Warcraft out there to recommend?

The last one I played was C&C Generals.

Caveat: I am terrible at RTSes so hopefully show me the ones where I can eventually stomp the AI on Easy when I inevitably get stuck on some level.

Also, the campier, the better.

Has to be for PC, but doesn't have to be recent as long as it's playable.

World in Conflict is great, and isn't difficult at all. It's not camp but it's pretty over the top. It's all about calling in an exciting array of air support so that everything is exploding all the time. Also the US campaign is narrated by Alec Baldwin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Caveat: I am terrible at RTSes so hopefully show me the ones where I can eventually stomp the AI on Easy when I inevitably get stuck on some level.

Planetary Annihilation might be worth a look - and certainly meets your "stomp the AI" requirement.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to remember a game mentioned briefly about six months ago on Giant Bombcast. A guy described it as dwarf fortress in space. Maybe a lot a spreadsheets instead of direct base building? I vaguely remember he said it was free, independent, and had been in development for like a decade.

Any ideas what game he was talking about?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm trying to remember a game mentioned briefly about six months ago on Giant Bombcast. A guy described it as dwarf fortress in space. Maybe a lot a spreadsheets instead of direct base building? I vaguely remember he said it was free, independent, and had been in development for like a decade.

Any ideas what game he was talking about?

Aurora.

I don't know if Quill18 is any good at it, but he's got a youtube series about it. There's also a narrative LP here on the forums somewhere.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I want a game as close to Freespace 2 as possible. Every space game now seems to be a dull trucking sandbox
The updated version of Tie Fighter would be worth looking into. No Newtonian physics and the graphics are dated but it fits the same mission-based combat style. Also if you haven't tried Freespace Open there's a ton of great add-on campaigns including a full port of Freespace one available for it (fsport). There's also a Babylon 5 full conversion done with the same engine and the incomplete Beyond The Red Line BSG conversion.

There's also Wing Commander 3 and 4 assuming you can find a working copy.

Jinkeez
Dec 31, 2008
Any recommendations for games similar to FTL? In particular, I like the subsystems, damage control, and upgrade aspects. Lately I've been playing around with Bounty Train but it still needs a little polish.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Jinkeez posted:

Any recommendations for games similar to FTL? In particular, I like the subsystems, damage control, and upgrade aspects. Lately I've been playing around with Bounty Train but it still needs a little polish.

Convoy is pretty good, though it doesn't have quite as much depth in management of your individual cars. Still worth checking out though.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

I recently helped a friend of mine put together a new computer and am looking for games to recommend him for it. Im after action driven games that will show off the power of his new computer as its his first upgrade in years. It should have a strong single player component, so stuff like Battlefield/CS is out. So far I've got Doom 2016, Witcher 3 and Rise Of The Tomb Raider. Anything else like that you would recommend from the last 3-4 years?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

There's also Fallout 4 and GTA5, and maaaaaybe Elite: Dangerous if he's into space-trucking. Despite not being hugely action-packed it is a very pretty game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mustard Snobbery posted:

I recently helped a friend of mine put together a new computer and am looking for games to recommend him for it. Im after action driven games that will show off the power of his new computer as its his first upgrade in years. It should have a strong single player component, so stuff like Battlefield/CS is out. So far I've got Doom 2016, Witcher 3 and Rise Of The Tomb Raider. Anything else like that you would recommend from the last 3-4 years?

He'd probably like one of the Far Crys, although you really only ever need to play one. Shadow of Mordor is a decent time waster and is very well optimized for PC. The 2013 Tomb Raider still looks amazing on a current gen GPU as well.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

But Not Tonight posted:

There's also Fallout 4 and GTA5, and maaaaaybe Elite: Dangerous if he's into space-trucking. Despite not being hugely action-packed it is a very pretty game.

exquisite tea posted:

He'd probably like one of the Far Crys, although you really only ever need to play one. Shadow of Mordor is a decent time waster and is very well optimized for PC. The 2013 Tomb Raider still looks amazing on a current gen GPU as well.

Thanks guys. I should have mentioned he already has GTA V, just couldn't run it before and I mentioned Fallout 4 but he said he wasn't much interested in it. I'll tell him about Shadow of Mordor and Far Cry though, thanks (that reminds me, I need to get Shadow of Mordor myself).

Edit: I assume Far Cry 4 is the go-to recommendation for Far Cry? Haven't played Primal, but I enjoyed FC4 and seem to recall Primal getting mixed reviews but I might be making that up.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Primal isn't great, 3 and 4 are both solid and Blood Dragon is great but it's a shorter title.

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Oh poo poo yeah Blood Dragon! Totally forgot about that one. Yeah, I think he'd get a kick out of that. Plus it's pretty cheap and being on the shorter side he can decide if he likes it enough to check out Far Cry 3/4. Thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Did they ever make a Ziggys mod for Far Cry 4? If not then Ziggys Far Cry 3 is my favorite. I tried multiple times to get into Blood Dragon but that game just straight up isn't good. Despite being on the same engine it evokes no feeling that I'm playing a Far Cry game, so I would not recommend your strategy of seeing if he likes Far Cry by using Blood Dragon.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 12, 2016

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't play blood dragon. It's funny but shallow.

Can you guys recommend me a pc game like Tokyo Jungle? The gameplay looks amazing but I don't have a ps3

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Not really a recommendation, but I'm curious if any games have a mechanic of hiring other players to work for you in game. I was reading about how people in Eve market themselves and get hired by player factions to fight or pilot certain ships that require a unique skill. Does this happen in other games, especially as a real in-game mechanic?

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

Don't play blood dragon. It's funny but shallow.

Can you guys recommend me a pc game like Tokyo Jungle? The gameplay looks amazing but I don't have a ps3

Ace of Seafood on Steam seems like a good counterpart in terms of tone and gameplay.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
It's actually kind of hard to describe this itch I'm feeling, but basically I'm looking for a game that is complex but not paradox level hard, a game that may or may not involve crafting and stats and whatnot, and a game that is definitely NOT an action game (aka not doom or a platformer, whatever).

Darkest Dungeon would be a bad example of a game that is something to what i'm looking for. And not the fighting aspect of it, but rather the managing the party members while in town aspect (aka relieving stress, removing quirks).

Is there a really good game that is not action that I've overlooked?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
i want a game like myst, i'm jonesing hard here

e: really i want exploring surreal world with a focus on puzzles

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jun 13, 2016

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Arrhythmia posted:

i want a game like myst, i'm jonesing hard here

e: really i want exploring surreal world with a focus on puzzles

Absolutely play The Witness then.

Talos Principle is also an excellent choice.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Absolutely play The Witness then.

Talos Principle is also an excellent choice.

both have been played, and yes, they're fantastic.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Not really a recommendation, but I'm curious if any games have a mechanic of hiring other players to work for you in game. I was reading about how people in Eve market themselves and get hired by player factions to fight or pilot certain ships that require a unique skill. Does this happen in other games, especially as a real in-game mechanic?

Puzzle pirates has the core mechanic of crewing a ship as a group by solving puzzles to perform various tasks like setting the sails, pumping the bilge, and repairing damage. One person can't effectively crew a ship, so you either need friends or must hire people. You put up your want add with the desired positions and what the loot split for your group is. The interesting part of the market is that the loot split can vary significantly. It can be an even split, favor regular crew members over part-timers, favor by crew rank, or even favor the part-timers. What splits you see depend on the need of the crew and availability of labor.

When someone takes a job, they're teleported to the shift. They can leave at any time and get paid in loot-shares per distance traveled and battle fought. Drop-in-drop-out play works very well and is convenient.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Maybe too obvious but:
c&c 3 and red alert 3 are good just stay away from 4

starcraft 2 has pretty cool singleplayer and the story is very cheesy

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I'm looking for RPGs or Sim games available on Steam or GOG that have a nice atmosphere. I have Cities Skylines, but was also considering Tropico. I've played a lot of the major western RPGs, but I don't know much about the handful of JRPGs on steam (other than final fantasy).

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Elderbean posted:

I'm looking for RPGs or Sim games available on Steam or GOG that have a nice atmosphere. I have Cities Skylines, but was also considering Tropico. I've played a lot of the major western RPGs, but I don't know much about the handful of JRPGs on steam (other than final fantasy).

Ever played Anno 1404/Dawn Of Discovery?

It's awesome and soooooo pretty. I play it every few months just for the atmosphere.

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012
I've been looking for a multiplayer game that has a sense of progression between matches. Things like leveling up to unlock more abilities or new weapons being unlocked. Some examples that I've enjoyed were Mass Effect 3 and Destiny. The actual type of action isn't too important as I like both shooters and third-person action.

I'm also fine with either Co-op or competitive.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WontGetFooledAgain posted:

I've been looking for a multiplayer game that has a sense of progression between matches. Things like leveling up to unlock more abilities or new weapons being unlocked. Some examples that I've enjoyed were Mass Effect 3 and Destiny. The actual type of action isn't too important as I like both shooters and third-person action.

I'm also fine with either Co-op or competitive.

Payday 2 is pretty fun and has tons of progression stuff.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Maybe warframe? I'm about a year behind on updates, but I've heard it compared to ME3 a lot. Jump into a competitive mission, shoot/slice/melt dudes, get exp for you stuff to to shoot/slice/melt dudes, unlock more stuff, etc.

WontGetFooledAgain
Nov 5, 2012

MooCowlian posted:

Maybe warframe? I'm about a year behind on updates, but I've heard it compared to ME3 a lot. Jump into a competitive mission, shoot/slice/melt dudes, get exp for you stuff to to shoot/slice/melt dudes, unlock more stuff, etc.

Warframe is pretty good, though I was really looking for something competitive. Its fun but the grind for equipment and frames can be difficult.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone know a PC game where there are some scary as gently caress gigantic creatures? Like, leviathan style. Underwater preferably but so long as they're giant, scary as hell, and you dwarf in comparison to them I'm all for it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Galick posted:

Anyone know a PC game where there are some scary as gently caress gigantic creatures? Like, leviathan style. Underwater preferably but so long as they're giant, scary as hell, and you dwarf in comparison to them I'm all for it.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Galick posted:

I don't know about scary, but Dragons Dogma has big fuckin' things that you have to climb all over in order to kill. The rest of the game is pretty average, but combat with huge beasts is quite fun.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I just want a co-op, online multiplayer game, where you can get in a vehicle with a buddy and travel through a procedurally generated landscape that you can re-roll anew any time you like, in FPS view, and occasionally investigate ruins and get into gunfights with AI or assault a fortress espied from a distance away. No survival aspects, just riding around and getting into trouble, and rolling the dice to get a new landscape. Maybe stopping to do some bitchin' stunts off a cliff or something.

I've played with and am done with the following:
  • 7 Days to Die
  • Arma series
  • Sir, You Are Being Hunted
  • Unreal Tournament series
  • Borderlands
  • This MMO based on some SciFi show, forgot what it was called. The grind was a turnoff.
  • Minecraft

Something like multiplayer co-op Far Cry 2 with endless land generation and fortress spawning options would be my white whale here. Stuff like Rust is not of interest, because hell is other people. Just co-op.

Failing that, is there a cheap lovely FPS maker that I could drag and drop some crap around in, and generate or import a map? That might work for a bit. I have no programming skills, but my expectations are not high.

My apologies for long-time readers of this thread, as I have asked variations on this question about 5 times in the last two years.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002
Just Cause series?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Are there any war games that marry the grand strategy aspects of Hearts of Iron 4 with the turn based hex combat of Order of Battle/Panzer General etc? Preferably in a WW2 setting. I already know about Commander: The Great War and I'll be eyeing that during the summer sale but is there anything else I should look for?

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

I've been playing a lot of Infinite Space lately, and I've gotten a sci-fi itch to be a spaceship captain and go exploring. Actually, take about 80% of what doctorfrog is asking for, but apply it in space. Bonus points if I can command a big loving ship, like a cruiser or battleship (eventually. I don't mind working my way up). No storyline is required if I don't want to get involved, just let me gently caress around.

Edit: If anybody has played the tabletop game Traveller, basically that, in video game form.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rorac posted:

I've been playing a lot of Infinite Space lately, and I've gotten a sci-fi itch to be a spaceship captain and go exploring. Actually, take about 80% of what doctorfrog is asking for, but apply it in space. Bonus points if I can command a big loving ship, like a cruiser or battleship (eventually. I don't mind working my way up). No storyline is required if I don't want to get involved, just let me gently caress around.

Edit: If anybody has played the tabletop game Traveller, basically that, in video game form.

Check out Rebel Galaxy.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
if you have any friends and really want to play space ship captain you could consider looking at artemis(?) bridge simulator, I have no idea what the game itself is like though

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I'm going on holiday soon and am looking for some iPad game recommendations. As well as for the plane journey, I want something I can pick up for 30 mins or so every so often, and it has to be offline. I play a lot of Hearthstone and that would have been perfect but I might not have data access.

I won't say what my usual tastes are since this is a good chance to try more general recommendations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Any recent strategy action RPGs that scratch the same itch as, say, Sid Meier's Pirates and Mount & Blade? I gave Rebel Galaxy a go based on goon recommendations, but I found it too barebones and repetitive for my tastes. My biggest gripe was the combat, which offered too little variation no matter how you upgraded your load-out.