Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Lurdiak posted:

So he's an extra huge dick for 99% of the game, repeatedly threatening to murder people and generally being a violent psychopath, and then punches Alfred back to life and goes on a quest for revenge. Wow, so much nuance.

And I prefer that to the other games because he actually seemed human at the end. No need to be a smart rear end because we disagree on videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh that's just how I post, it has nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

So he's an extra huge dick for 99% of the game, repeatedly threatening to murder people and generally being a violent psychopath, and then punches Alfred back to life and goes on a quest for revenge. Wow, so much nuance.

I'm starting to agree with a post I read a while back where someone said they realized they don't actually like Batman. They just liked him in B:TAS.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Canemacar posted:

I'm starting to agree with a post I read a while back where someone said they realized they don't actually like Batman. They just liked him in B:TAS.

When I say Batman is my favorite comic book character, that's mostly out of simplicity. Nearly every member of Batman's supporting cast is more interesting than Bruce himself. Dick, Tim, Cassandra, Batwoman, Jim Gordon, etc. But they don't exist without Batman. My actual favorite thing in comics is the situations that arise among this patchwork family and their relationships to each other and to this insane hellhole of a city they protect, and then you've got similar situations among the motley crew of mobsters and psychopaths they're fighting/working with/whatever. That's a goddamn mouthful, and none of that happens without Batman there at the center, so I just tell people yeah, I love Batman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

JT Smiley posted:

I'm probably alone on this one, but I'll take the Origins portrayal of Batman over City and Knights any day of the week. He's just a total dick to each and everyone of his allies in the Rocksteady games and never lets up.

Well that's only because he only has one ally in Origins. And he's a ruthless rear end in a top hat to him too. He only stops once the guy dies and he has to bring him back. In Knight he's really nice to Dick and Barbara. Like weirdly nice considering how awful he is to Tim in both City and Knight.

Travis343 posted:

When I say Batman is my favorite comic book character, that's mostly out of simplicity. Nearly every member of Batman's supporting cast is more interesting than Bruce himself. Dick, Tim, Cassandra, Batwoman, Jim Gordon, etc. But they don't exist without Batman. My actual favorite thing in comics is the situations that arise among this patchwork family and their relationships to each other and to this insane hellhole of a city they protect, and then you've got similar situations among the motley crew of mobsters and psychopaths they're fighting/working with/whatever. That's a goddamn mouthful, and none of that happens without Batman there at the center, so I just tell people yeah, I love Batman.

Same. Dick is my secret favorite DC character of all time, but they don't make enough stuff with his logo on it so I became the Batman guy. Bat-Family stories are the best Bat stories. Stories that get rid of all the Family to focus on just Batman tend to suck.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I have high hopes for the telltale Batman game, though it will probably be more investigation than punching.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Canemacar posted:

Well, I mean, that statement only really works if you assume Batprick is really the Platonic Ideal of Batman (aka "Batonic Ideal"). Which doesn't really fit either, considering the pendulum occasionally swings back to the more Silver Age-y Batusi Bats that showed up in Brave and the Bold and has his own comic series right now in the form of Batman '66.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Canemacar posted:

All Batmen without voices will sound like Kevin Conroy forever, but I have to say BTAS is not my ideal Batman. It's the best adaptation of Batman probably, but it's not my favorite interpretation of his character. He's a vicious rear end in a top hat. Young Justice Batman is better than TAS Batman. YJ Batman is great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

This is a good observation. Tim is my favorite DC character and Dick is great too, so is Damian. I like Batman too of course, but I'd rather read about any Robin not named Jason before I'd rather read about Bruce.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Travis343 posted:

:agreed:

Like, I'd totally love to read solo books for basically every one of the Batman supporting heroes and I'm WAY happier with Detective Comics for having all the cool side characters than I am looking forward to the upcoming Batman series that are mostly just Bruce, but at the same time if DC ever hard rebooted again and floated the idea of divorcing all the supporting characters from Bruce and making them totally independent characters, I'd say you'd lose a lot of what makes Bruce likable, and the relationship between those supporting characters is so much weaker when its' just "colleges in the same line of work" instead of "brothers and sisters in a weird bat-crime-fighting-family"..

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Batman's terrible outside of the DCAU and Brave and the Bold, and I don't really care much for the Bat-family, and I actually hate some of them, but I like the other people who populate Batman's world. Alfred, the villains, the mobsters, Arkham Asylum as a whole, Detective Bullock, Commissioner Gordon, even nobodies like Vicki Vale.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

I actually hate some of them

Okay Jason, yeah, but who else? Stephanie? Damian? I can't really think of many past Red Hood.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Okay Jason, yeah, but who else? Stephanie? Damian? I can't really think of many past Red Hood.

Nightwing's a fine idea on paper but he's a totally dislikeable rear end in his personal life. Some people seem to find that endearing but I don't. Barbara bores me to tears, too. She's the worst Batgirl and I resent that Johns-ism has brought her back to the front at the expense of better characters.

Tim's all right but his hacker stuff is real tired.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Nightwing

You've made a powerful enemy today.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well Barbara is absolutely the worst Batgirl, the secret is that there are no bad Batgirls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

No, I made a powerful enemy when I sent Joe Quesada a fax of my rear end.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I enjoy most of the Bat family more than Batman himself as well. Dick, Tim and Damian are all great characters in different ways.

I think one of the problems though is that DC hosed up the Batman & Robin dynamic, which works best as one of contrast.

This is why it was great when Dick was Batman, because him and Damian as partners is an interesting reversal of the dark/light Batman/Robin dynamic. It's also why the Bruce/Damian dynamic doesn't work, because they're both just moody and violent.

Basically what I'm saying is DC should have kept Damian partnered with Dick as Nightwing's "Robin" and kept Tim as Robin paired with Bruce.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I like the Bat-ladies and Spoiler and Bluebird but the Robins are fine too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Circutron posted:

Well, I mean, that statement only really works if you assume Batprick is really the Platonic Ideal of Batman (aka "Batonic Ideal"). Which doesn't really fit either, considering the pendulum occasionally swings back to the more Silver Age-y Batusi Bats that showed up in Brave and the Bold and has his own comic series right now in the form of Batman '66.

I think Batman can be dark and intense and still be compassionate and idealistic, and those are the portrayals I tend to like best. The Animated Series, The Batman of Arkham, Batman/Planetary: Night on Earth, much of Morrison's run, etc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MGM has picked up the rights for JMS' "Rising Stars" comic to be made into a movie with JMS writing the script. It's been forever since I read the comic but I remember it starting strong but ultimately ending unsatisfactorily. For those who haven't read it, the premise is about a small town in which a fireball appears in the sky and any fetus in utero at the time gained varied superpowers. It is ostensibly set in the "real" world so there's a lot of reaction to the idea of people having superpowers.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Travis343 posted:

Man... I like Batman but this post may have opened some doors I'm not ready to deal with...

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spider-man-homecoming-donald-glover-1201795278/

please be Miles please be Miles please be Miles please be Miles

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

muscles like this? posted:

MGM has picked up the rights for JMS' "Rising Stars" comic to be made into a movie with JMS writing the script. It's been forever since I read the comic but I remember it starting strong but ultimately ending unsatisfactorily. For those who haven't read it, the premise is about a small town in which a fireball appears in the sky and any fetus in utero at the time gained varied superpowers. It is ostensibly set in the "real" world so there's a lot of reaction to the idea of people having superpowers.

It started off really strong, went to okay in the middle. And dropped off badly just before it became one of those "horribly delayed books that we thought JMS would never finish."

Only he did finish. And the last issue I felt had a really good ending that actually lived up to the potential for the first issue. I will put this as one where JMS did stick the landing.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As for Batman Arkham Origins, I give that game a lot of forgiveness because it has a fantastic script.

Like this exchange between Bruce and Alfred is one of the best dialogues I have heard.

quote:

Alfred: Master Bruce. Stop, Master Bruce. Bruce!

Batman: What are you-

Alfred: I will not in good conscience allow you to go!
You're out-matched by these assassins-

Batman: I'm what?

Alfred: You're not some hardened vigilante!
You're a Young man with a trust fund and too much anger. You're in over your head and I...I don't want this to be your end.

Batman: Alfred, who do you see when you look at me? The boy whose shoes you used to tie every morning, the teenager you drove to his first date? While you are here every night, I am out there... the only thing between the innocent and the predatory.

Alfred: You may be.

Batman: No!

Alfred: But-

Batman: Not "may be"! I am! When the mugger or the thief stops to think twice-that is fear.
That is what I am!
That is why they hired assassins-because I am the reason the criminals breathe easier when the sun rises.
So no, Alfred - I am NOT in over my head! Tonight won't be my end. But it will be theirs!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sion posted:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/spider-man-homecoming-donald-glover-1201795278/

please be Miles please be Miles please be Miles please be Miles

I don't think Miles works at all if he's older than Peter.

Edit: But that might be because there's never been a Miles story that wasn't about Peter.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 15, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He was already Miles/Spider-Man...and then he bites Peter and they're both Spider-Men!!!

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

He's probably just going to be a teacher at Peter's school or something.

He doesn't make sense as Miles at his age. Prowler could be cool though...

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Haven't all the other people from Community shown up in the MCU? I don't watch Community but I recognize some of them in Cap 2/3.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I'll settle for Flash Thompson.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Of the main cast, only Danny Pudi and Jim Rash have, and only in bit parts (Danny Pudi's is just "Com Tech #1").

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I assume Dean Pelton runs MIT the same way he runs Greendale.

He originally was dressed as Black Widow. Still holding out hope for Allison Brie as Spider-Woman, which would work with a Brie Larsen Carol Danvers.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
One of the other Derrick Comedy guys was also the Apple Tech in Cap 2.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
He's going to play himself in a recreation of the parade scene from Spider-Man 1. He'll be replacing Macy Gray.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

EDIT: Wrong thread.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Logan Marshall Green and Martin Starr has joined Spiderman - Homecoming, Green as a villain.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/prometheus-star-logan-marshall-green-silicon-valley-star-martin-starr-a142657

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

lomzus posted:

Logan Marshall Green and Martin Starr has joined Spiderman - Homecoming, Green as a villain.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/prometheus-star-logan-marshall-green-silicon-valley-star-martin-starr-a142657
I really hope it's not Vulture and The Tinkerer as the villains like they are speculating.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
Screw it, make Glover a young JJJ and watch the internet burn...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Donald Glover isn't a good actor so maybe don't give him a big role.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GLOSS posted:

Screw it, make Glover a young JJJ and watch the internet burn...
He can be an up-his-own-rear end media mogul that's slightly older than Parker, super sure of himself, abrasive and constantly getting in the way of the Bible's success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really hope it's not Vulture and The Tinkerer as the villains like they are speculating.

Anyone but Green Goblin would be great.

• Locked thread