Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fat Shat Sings posted:

So yeah they just broke down and are monetizing long term insurance. Spergs will want some "Just in Case" and want multiple copies just to cover their armada of poor decisions they've already bought. Some will justify it as "Well I missed LTI on this $900 autism chariot, so $35 is perfectly reasonable to cover it forever!" x 100,000

Since this is the first time they've done it (for so cheap) the Drake sale will be like $4,000,000 and the furnaces will spring back to life, filled again with more bricks of cash.

I think the p-72 or whatever was another cheapie with LTI. People loaded up on those like a six pack of beer.

This is another knife in the gray market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Fat Shat Sings posted:

So yeah they just broke down and are monetizing long term insurance. Spergs will want some "Just in Case" and want multiple copies just to cover their armada of poor decisions they've already bought. Some will justify it as "Well I missed LTI on this $900 autism chariot, so $35 is perfectly reasonable to cover it forever!" x 100,000

Since this is the first time they've done it (for so cheap) the Drake sale will be like $4,000,000 and the furnaces will spring back to life, filled again with more bricks of cash.

They've done it before, this is the cheapest though $35, the reliant or something was $50 and had LTI. Sale is going to be interesting, I thought they'd make 2-3 million on the reliant but it was far lower. Even Citizens get wise to the same scam after a while but LTI appeal has so far lasted since 2012.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I think the p-72 or whatever was another cheapie with LTI. People loaded up on those like a six pack of beer.

Actually you might be right, I sorta stopped being so OCD about the ships when it hit 100+.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

:ohdear:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How long till Borg cube?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AP posted:

They've done it before, this is the cheapest though $35, the reliant or something was $50 and had LTI. Sale is going to be interesting, I thought they'd make 2-3 million on the reliant but it was far lower. Even Citizens get wise to the same scam after a while but LTI appeal has so far lasted since 2012.

Actually you might be right, I sorta stopped being so OCD about the ships when it hit 100+.

I foresee a lot of melting of non-lti ships to fund quite a few spacecycles.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
What was their excuse to keep selling LTI after nov 2013? Or did they not even bother with any excuses?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

AP posted:

When they say token they really mean ship/bike whatever. CIG lets you change a ship into another ship (most of them don't exist in any form anyway so why not?) if you give them more money. If the jpg has LTI then the upgraded thing has LTI too. This is because LTI is incredibly rare and they promise to stop selling it in November 2013.

LTI is worthless remember, but CIG found sales didn't work without it pretty quickly.

Notice the source URL.

Thoatse posted:

1. You buy one or more of these 'cheap' ships when they're released as a concept and comes with lti as pledgebait.

2. Melt it for store credit and put it towards another chariot you want but missed the lti opportunities for, since it will carry over to the new ship

3. ????

4. Profit!

So they can't just buy this ship and melt and stick the insurance on a ship they already have in their hangar, they have to buy a new ship with the store credit from this one?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Danakir posted:

What was their excuse to keep selling LTI after nov 2013? Or did they not even bother with any excuses?

I know the answer to this! It's the second one.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Danakir posted:

Hopefully someone can find that infamous Lesnick post that describes this.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:shittypop:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Not sure why so many folk are calling this one cheap; they also did this for $20 a while back with the Archimedes snub fighter thing.

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I always warned that CIG would monetize via insurance. But, my warnings required the game to be released. CIG has learned to monetize LTI before there is even a game to play.

Also, LOL, CIG just copied Bungie.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wafflz posted:

So they can't just buy this ship and melt and stick the insurance on a ship they already have in their hangar, they have to buy a new ship with the store credit from this one?

No, you buy what's called a "cross-chassis upgrade."

So say for example you wanted a Starfarer but missed out on the LTI.

You buy one of these, then when it gets put in the hangar/made flyable you can go into a special tab on CIG's website and upgrade it to the ship you want by paying the difference, thereby keeping your LTI

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Wafflz posted:

Ding ding.

Or they could melt their ship and buy it back when a sale hits. Of course the ship will be more expensive than what they originally bought it for.

Man, CIG makes Amway look inept.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

I like this one a lot more, if only because it reminds me of the speeder bikes from Return of the Jedi.

Plus it's a stupid loving gimmick to have the bits retract a tiny bit. Either have them move to a radically new position, or don't loving move at all. It's like Chris just said "I want the wings to move *waves arms* like this! Just make it look cool!" and this piece of poo poo was born.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Wafflz posted:

I think you would just melt both ships in that case, and rebuy the one you wanted lti on. If it were a limited sale ship like a Super Hornet though, you would have to wait until it was on sale again before being able to do it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

You buy one of these, then when it gets put in the hangar/made flyable you can go into a special tab on CIG's website and upgrade it to the ship you want by paying the difference, thereby keeping your LTI

Yeah that's what i said, they can't just stick the insurance on a ship in their hangar, they have to spend more money.

Holy gently caress these people are dumb.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only square boobs

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

What does lti do?

NocnaShada
Nov 10, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I just cancelled my subscription posted:

Hi citizens

I am a long time backer (November 2013), subscriber since february 2015 and almost 800€ in the game but today I cancelled my subscription. I have a feeling that the game is on a good track and based on Sean Tracy's reaction regarding PG and based on what last summer's leaks have shown I'm pretty sure that we don't even see the tip of the iceberg and this is exactly my concern. We don't even see the tip of the iceberg.

I have difficulties to understand why CIG draws the line where it is drawn now between showing stuff and hidding stuff. I have been a subscriber for almost a year and a half and yet the best jump point that I ever had the chance to read was the very first one: the one showing how they designed/built/tuned Area 18 on ArcCorp. Because it was a place and not a ship.

I understand that Star Citizen needs plenty of different kind of ships if we want to feel that it is a breathing and living universe. I understand that even after release they will keep adding new ships or revamped ships and that it's the reason why they keep working on concept ships and releasing new ones because it's a machine that is being started that will keep producing ships until the end of time. I understand that we need several ships per role your character will be able to take. But where are the places? Where is Nyx? We saw a preview of it like 10 months ago. Where is Gold Horizon? I don't care about Star Marine module but CIG said the map/station is ready. Why does CIG keep hidding it from us? Where is Shubin Interstellar mining station? I don't care if these places are unfinished.

I pledged years ago knowing that it would probably take 4 to 5 more years before being able to play the released version. But I subscribed so that CIG could share this kind of work. I don't care anymore about IFCS v17.4, about the next concept ship nor about the 4th revamp of the Hornet. I understand that we need all them but ships serve nothing if you have no place to come from and to fly to.

It's been two months now that I've barely looked at ATV/bugsmashers/10FTx because they all look the same now (except when there's some Sean Tracy or Brian Chambers in it) and this is not what I subscribed for. I subscribed for them to share NEW things, which clearly isn't the case right now. I'm not tired of Star Citizen, I still play a lot of the baby PU, but I'm getting tired of the kind of (non) content shared by CIG with the community and I just had to share this with you guys.

Anyway, I'm ready for the downvote storm, but I still love you guys.

Star Citizen: Not even the tip

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
Before MoMA appears and tries to say that the "Drake Pipeline means it will be flyable this year" someone please find where Ben or whoever said that no more ships would be in the PU past the vanguard or whatever back when they admitted they need to release a product and can't have never ending concepts be promised upon release of the PU.

It wasn't when Chris Roberts said "Minimum Viable Product" which is related, but Ben or someone directly stated that a certain ship was the stopping point for the PU release and everything else had a release date of "After the PU"

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Is there any reason for the process to be this obfuscated and needlessly byzantine aside from trying to conceal how scummy and predatory the whole thing is? Cause I can't come up with anything.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

I mean obviously nothing because lol this game won't ever be a real game but what's it meant to do?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Maw posted:

What does lti do?

I know the answer to this one.

Nobody knows!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Atreiden posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only square boobs

Good to see the kickstarter belt made it in game.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Maw posted:

What does lti do?

As of right now? Nothing.

In some weird alternate future where SC actually gets made? Saves you some IGC every month on keeping your ship insured, making it so you can never permanently lose your $800 Shitwagon

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Danakir posted:

Is there any reason for the process to be this obfuscated and needlessly byzantine aside from trying to conceal how scummy and predatory the whole thing is? Cause I can't come up with anything.

I know the answer to this one!

Nope.

Well, maybe.

It's possible they were too stupid to think up a less retarded system, if you count that as a reason.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Maw posted:

What does lti do?

It's got what plants crave

Cu Chulainn
Apr 27, 2011

It's great to get out of the lab

Holy poo poo, it was bugging me what these space mowers reminded me of. They're just the drat Sparrows from Destiny, except, y'know you gotta spend real money on it. Instead of getting your free one from playing the first 30 minutes of the game.

Destiny did a lot of things wrong, but drat if they haven't cut more content from a complete game than CiG has released for their broken one

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Um....what did....ya whoah did ehp did eh woh did

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

As of right now? Nothing.

In some weird alternate future where SC actually gets made? Saves you some IGC every month on keeping your ship insured, making it so you can never permanently lose your $800 Shitwagon

Aha wait so in theory if this game was made you could crash whatever the cheapest ship was into some guys hundreds of dollars worth of ship and it'd be gone forever? I changed my mind this game is the best

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

seriously...?! :confused:

looks like :barf:

That looks like a mixture between a Colonial Viper and a pod racer.

What the hell?

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Maw posted:

I changed my mind this game is the best

No it felt wrong and weird to say that :(

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The kicker with the LTI was how it was to suck in people to pledge early.

"We will stop offering LTI, so back now to be safe."

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Before MoMA appears and tries to say that the "Drake Pipeline means it will be flyable this year" someone please find where Ben or whoever said that no more ships would be in the PU past the vanguard or whatever back when they admitted they need to release a product and can't have never ending concepts be promised upon release of the PU.

It wasn't when Chris Roberts said "Minimum Viable Product" which is related, but Ben or someone directly stated that a certain ship was the stopping point for the PU release and everything else had a release date of "After the PU"

If anyone other than Chris said it; they're just best guesses and they don't know for sure, certainly not promises by any stretch. If Chris himself promises it, well game development is a fickle mistress and things change all the time. What can you do? :shrug:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

Good to see the kickstarter belt made it in game.

But those it look better and last longer? or do I need to get it with LTI?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Thoatse posted:

Not sure why so many folk are calling this one cheap; they also did this for $20 a while back with the Archimedes snub fighter thing.

To be honest I can no longer keep track of all the fake things they are selling. After the point of ridiculousness (100+ ships that don't exist) I start losing track.

After awhile it boils down to things like

"The news van that is stupid with nonexistant mechanics"
"The giant blade ship, that is just dumb from every angle"
"The ship billed as a sleek macross like transforming ship that just has a minor cosmetic change and disappointed spergs"
"The mining ship that is so stupidly designed it wouldn't ever be practical even in a game"
"The giant fuel tanker, with walkways directly under engines, wait why have a giant fuel tanker? Are ships run on diesel / liquid fuel? It's 2942 for fucks sake"
"The ambulance? Ship? I think?"
"The only original idea"
"The space motorcycle"
etc etc etc etc

Much less the prices of each. I don't even remember a snub fighter at this point.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

That S2 engine is pretty sweet though. A lot of people don't know it, but the S2 uses a really neat cooling system that utilizes the fluid properties of ambient air to cool the engine. This frees up the mount for the stone-age cooler of the S "old man" 1 and allows for Ammo Can 2. I think as players start to see more and more NPCs cruising with S2s it will catch on. The NPCs will have a pretty ground breaking AI, but when the creative minds of individual Citizens start benchmarking the new S2 engines we will all be pretty astonished IMHO.

What do you think, homies? Think I got the chops for mini-truth Reddit?

redwalrus
Jul 27, 2013

:stoke:
CIG literally did polls to see which ships potential whales wanted first, and made those jpegs first, but they made all the other jpegs anyway while the whales were giving them money for the ones voted the most, we will continue to see meaningless polls about which jpegs backers want the most, the reality is CIG is going to make every ship they ever talk about, and sell them to people, before there is ever an option to buy the ship with aUEC or other in-game method. The fact that they are selling second and third place voted ships from concept polls before even working on ships they sold people 4 years ago is literally the definition of a scam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Photoshop request: The new space mower changed to John Deere green with logo and the 'Nothing Flies Like A Deere' slogan. TIA

• Locked thread