Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah he's good. He's got a good protagonist voice but has lot better reads then lots of the typical everyman protagonist casts like papenbrook. And he's not overexposed like lots of English VA are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

watch the e3 trailer for CSII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sPDSH9QPx8

or don't, im just some guy

FWIW, ginormous spoilers for CSI.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I don't think that trailer was all that great but my hype levels are already pretty high so that might be a factor.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
The trailer was a bit awkward ish, but methinks the lines would sound better in context.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

watch the e3 trailer for CSII

I'm not gonna, I don't want to know anything that happens

I didn't know anything about CS either other than "Erebonia" and it was pretty nice going in like that. I'm usually too excited about upcoming games to keep myself from watching trailers.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

What's up with no release dates for anything

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

xseed has been afraid of release dates ever since they delayed SC like 5 times

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Release date aren't super important to announce until they've started scheduling shipments to stores. Is there any benefit to the consumer, knowing that something is coming out exactly on day x months in advance? A time-frame is good for knowing what you'll need to budget, depending on how tight your budget actually is, but I can't see much from knowing the exact date.

Unless you're super weird and minority anyway and would alter vacation days or plans entirely around a video game release but the cost/benefit on announcing a date for that crowd is super bad.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
People just want to know when they can spend their money and expect to be able to play the game, it's not that hard to understand.

It's also perfectly understandable that XSeed haven't announced any release dates, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just preordered a copy from Amazon. They'll mail to me whenever they get it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

So apparently I'm dumb and only who you pick at the end affects the minor scenes in CSII, looks like I won't have to put in a huge amount of effort for minor gains after all! :toot:

now if you'll excuse me I need to get to level 80 for 200 more sepith, this is extremely important shut up.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 16, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Yinlock posted:

So apparently I'm dumb and only who you pick at the end affects the minor scenes in CSII, looks like I won't have to put in a huge amount of effort for minor gains after all! :toot:

now if you'll excuse me I need to get to level 80 for 200 more sepith, this is extremely important shut up.

Wait for the continuing person picked to have a decently significant impact in CS3. :v:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Lord Koth posted:

Wait for the continuing person picked to have a decently significant impact in CS3. :v:

I was mostly worried that everyone with a max link or whatever would get extra scenes so I wouldn't have an excuse to ignore NG+. But I do so :toot:

I'll probably end up doing it anyway carrying over Items/Max Bond ~just in case~ but still :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

xseed has been afraid of release dates ever since they delayed SC like 5 times

Oh. I thought GKH did that to them.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Slur posted:

Oh. I thought GKH did that to them.

They've had a couple of problem games in the past.

That said I'd expect that CSII won't be too much longer in the pipe, if they're showing an English-voiced trailer.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Yinlock posted:

I was mostly worried that everyone with a max link or whatever would get extra scenes so I wouldn't have an excuse to ignore NG+. But I do so :toot:

I'll probably end up doing it anyway carrying over Items/Max Bond ~just in case~ but still :v:

If you're serious about leveling to 80 that is another reason to NG+. It's super unreasonable to level to 80 without using the shining pom dlc so unless you're buying it the quickest way to 80 is NG+ speedruns to refresh the free 3 before doing a final run whenever you reach 77+ to do whatever else you'd want to transfer instead of the speedruns.

You can beat the game faster than you could gain three levels with actual grinding once you hit the mid-70s.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Decus posted:

If you're serious about leveling to 80 that is another reason to NG+. It's super unreasonable to level to 80 without using the shining pom dlc so unless you're buying it the quickest way to 80 is NG+ speedruns to refresh the free 3 before doing a final run whenever you reach 77+ to do whatever else you'd want to transfer instead of the speedruns.

You can beat the game faster than you could gain three levels with actual grinding once you hit the mid-70s.

The Shining Pom DLC pack refreshes with every new game plus. I personally went through the game a few times, thinking that the maximum bonds would change the dialogue that happened in Trails of Cold Steel 2 for some inane reason. I got Rean to level 81 through playing as much as I did.

It's not so much difficult to do as much as it is tedious and time-consuming to get through the game that many times.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Decus posted:

That works out then, I was super-late to the Cold Steel party so I got it pretty cheap and I don't mind shelling out a buck or two for some bait. Double it in NG+ and I can hit 80 pretty comfortably.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Gurumin is being released on the 3ds if you didn't get it when they literally gave it away free on steam

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Gurumin is being released on the 3ds if you didn't get it when they literally gave it away free on steam

Are Mastiff publishing this version?

Also, it's extremely weird for me to see a Falcom title on a Nintendo system in the 2010s.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Just finished Cold Steel.

I was really enjoying the ride but was disappointed with how things started to seem to peter out around the final Old Schoolhouse visit.

THEN SURPRISE GIANT ROBOTS PLOT TWIST NEW BATTLE SYSTEM MOTHER FUCKER. DID YOU LIKE XENOGEARS? YES? THEN LET'S loving GO.

Give me Second Chapter now please.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Slur posted:

Are Mastiff publishing this version?

Also, it's extremely weird for me to see a Falcom title on a Nintendo system in the 2010s.

yeah

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Slur posted:

The last Falcom title on a Nintendo system was, IIRC, the disastrous version of Ys 1&2 for the NDS. They've never had good success on Nintendo platforms (Ys V...), so it's no surprise.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Chapter 6 is so conflicting

On one hand, Irina is completely terrible but my party seems oddly insistent that she's actually nice no really, and the game seems to be trying to paint her as a wise mentor figure despite the fact that she's a terrible parent and her industry is literally on fire.

On the other, gently caress yes Angelica as a guest party member! :woop:

both these things happen in like ten minutes, it's a rollercoaster.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yinlock posted:

On the other, gently caress yes Angelica as a guest party member! :woop:

No joke, this is my favorite part of the entire game and I can't wait to get there in my LP.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

The last Falcom title on a Nintendo system was, IIRC, the disastrous version of Ys 1&2 for the NDS. They've never had good success on Nintendo platforms (Ys V...), so it's no surprise.

I looked further into this and wondered "was Ys Strategy released before or after this?". The answer was "before", and it wasn't even developed by Falcom themselves. The more you know.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Been playing cold steel, and the pattern is getting a lil repetitive

- Free Day tasks
- Old Schoolhouse.
- Practical exam.
- Train ride over to field study.
- Menial tasks meant to get a better handle on things.
- EVENT!
- Fight a big boss.
- Your actions weren't actually able to resolve the problem.
- A mysterious somebody steps in to SAVE THE DAY !!
- A long series of scenes where they talk about "that person" or we'll need to use "that" - nobody talks like this, it's awkward and stilted just to keep the audience in the dark
- repeat

I am really enjoying the game though, I'm just entering chapter 4 now.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Chapter 4 is going to start tying some things together.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The typical formula for these games is:

Game 1: slowly builds the characters and setting through a ton of great world-building and "minor" crises. The goal is basically to make you care about the characters/world and become familiar with the setting.

Game 2: :kingsley:

It's pretty drat effective, honestly. I finished CS1 and holy poo poo where's CS2 why isn't it out right now.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Yinlock posted:

The typical formula for these games is:
Yeah, I kind of wish I'd known this before playing CSI. :geno: Hopefully I can maintain interest until CSII comes out by measured applications of TitS.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, I knew the cliffhanger at the end of Cold Steel was worse than the end of TitS FC, but I wasn't prepared for exactly how much worse.

I'm really glad XSeed was already working on CSII. I hate to imagine what the Japanese fans went through.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
The formula keeps up throughout the whole game but chapter 4 ups the stakes for the rest ongoing and the endgame is fantastic.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I knew the cliffhanger at the end of Cold Steel was worse than the end of TitS FC, but I wasn't prepared for exactly how much worse.

I'm really glad XSeed was already working on CSII. I hate to imagine what the Japanese fans went through.

cold steel was 2013 and CSII was 2014 so about the same really

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

cold steel was 2013 and CSII was 2014 so about the same really

Yeah, I just read that. That's actually pretty good.

Then again, nothing's going to match the five year gap between FC and SC in the West.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

The same thing we did. Falcom already had a release date set and everything.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, I just read that. That's actually pretty good.

Then again, nothing's going to match the five year gap between FC and SC in the West.

The wait for CS3 might matched that, that game only been announced in development last year, I don't think there's any further update, so far.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

davidHalestorm posted:

The wait for CS3 might matched that, that game only been announced in development last year, I don't think there's any further update, so far.

They'll be busy with Ys 8 at the moment. Falcom will probably release more details about CS3 when Ys 8's released in Japan.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
[X]

(if you are confused about the order, read the timgs right-to-left)

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 20, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I hope we one day get more Ys games with Yunica in them. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

go get 'em mitten knight