Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

rocket_man38 posted:

Ya, I've disliked the whole "connect with the modern audience" thing. It comes off as awkward. Like with the hundreds of worlds out there, earth history is the only history.

It does sorta make sense, if the crew is 99% human, but it does get old.

I do laugh every time they try to give an example from history though, because it always follows the same formula: two historic human examples followed by one alien example.

E.g. "It's like the French uprising against the monarchy in the 1700's, or the civil rights movement of 1960's America, or the Ressican freedom wars of 2275."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dojokm
Sep 20, 2001

I'm as hungry as thorian ox!

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I got drunk with Morn last night and now my rear end is as overworked as Tholian souffle.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I think the formula grew to be one American example that revealed the earth time period, one Asian example as it was harder to source to a time period based on a single last name and then the alien example. The alien example never came first.

I wonder what it will be in CBS-trek. Probably world history will begin with 50's kitsch, include something millennial and then go with the alien example.

"We are talking about important innovations here Captian, like splitting the atom, the selfie stick or the particle kygrobulator as invented by Ramzok of Ganiboc IV!"

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps

Gammatron 64 posted:

I like the baseball episode, but it's also really weird that Ben Sisko knows so much about a sport that was extinct before he was even born.

Eh is it though really I mean just look at these people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cosWi0n6kgk

More entertaining than baseball though imo.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Roylicious posted:

Eh is it though really I mean just look at these people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cosWi0n6kgk

More entertaining than baseball though imo.

What's weird is he knows stats and the scores of games as if he was around when they played it. I don't think anyone knows that kinda details on jousters.

Granted, my roommate is the kind of guy who is interested in nothing but sports and Jesus and can do that. But those are literally the only things he cares about or is interested in, is very sheltered, hasn't ever traveled anywhere, hasn't eaten sushi or shrimp before and might be slightly autistic.

But yeah, I make fun of baseball because it would be the most boring sport to watch on TV if golf didn't exist. It goes on forever, is slow paced and tons of baseball players can hardly even be called athletes.

I think football, hockey and UFC are the best sports because they're the most violent. Wrasslin' is also cool but not a sport and more of a performance art. Basketball is also good.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2016

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me

Gammatron 64 posted:

What's weird is he knows stats and the scores of games as if he was around when they played it. I don't think anyone knows that kinda details on jousters.

Granted, my roommate is the kind of guy who is interested in nothing but sports and Jesus and can do that. But those are literally the only things he cares about or is interested in, is very sheltered, hasn't ever traveled anywhere, hasn't eaten sushi or shrimp before and might be slightly autistic.

Yeah true but that's easily explained: back then no one took detailed stats of jousters and now we have computer records of any kind of stat you'd care to think of on baseball teams/players.

I'm just being nitpicky you guys aren't wrong about it being a cheap attempt to connect to the audience.

e: and yeah baseball is boring as poo poo to watch on TV

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The baseball episode is great

"What do I do?"

"Kill him!"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean if you live in a post-scarcity world where you're never sick and you can literally do anything with your free time, I don't think it's crazy for Sisko to know a poo poo ton about baseball. Especially since he's from america and he and his dad seem way more old-school than most people in the future. Plus Sisko literally has the technology available to allow him to go and watch every single baseball game ever played.

I mean poo poo, Picard has physical books in his room. Those will probably cease to exist in my lifetime (fuckin millennials).

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Seems like their level of technology would make a lot of other areas of their society stagnant so yeah it's not a huge leap to think people would deal with that by devoting themselves to historical stuff like running a restaurant or knowing everything about baseball or making perfect scrambled eggs (lol).

They're the biggest history hipsters ever, all of them. Look how giddy they get to explain some poo poo about history to aliens or whatever. Tom Paris and his old TV shows, Janeway and her Scottish authors, Picard's books, Riker's cooking, Sisko's baseball.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think football, hockey and UFC are the best sports because they're the most violent.

goddam right

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I like me some hockey when the blood spatters on the ice.

Soccer players could learn a thing or two.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I mean poo poo, Picard has physical books in his room. Those will probably cease to exist in my lifetime (fuckin millennials).
There's some ripe DADoES territory there if you can just replicate an aged classic book or garment or whatever vs. actually owning a 1960s edition of The Great Gatsby .

"Computer, replicate a PLayStation, television, and the original release of Final Fantasy VII on compact game disk"

The space Poors probably just rent out holosuite time and virtually replicate that poo poo.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
This? Oh, this is Metal Gear Solid 5... you probably haven't heard of it :smug:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

FilthyImp posted:

There's some ripe DADoES territory there if you can just replicate an aged classic book or garment or whatever vs. actually owning a 1960s edition of The Great Gatsby .

"Computer, replicate a PLayStation, television, and the original release of Final Fantasy VII on compact game disk"

The space Poors probably just rent out holosuite time and virtually replicate that poo poo.

*Television materializes on bare floor*

Space Poor: "Computer, place the television on top of a table"

Computer: "Please state desired table configuration"

Space Poor: "Uh, metal I guess?"

*horrific spiked torture slab materializes*

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Come to my quarters tonight, I've managed to replicate this astounding ancient 2D earth film. It's called Caddyshack and you watch it on something called a betamax!

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Come to my quarters tonight, I've managed to replicate this astounding ancient 2D earth film. It's called Caddyshack and you watch it on something called a betamax!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCyyo8dpwc

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I love it when Voyager finds an old rusty pickup truck floating in space, and B'lanna asks if it's a hover car. It clearly has great big rubber tires, idiot. She's one hell of an engineer.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ugh. Introduction of the Kazon. Space trash.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Haha I'm at the TNG episode where they introduce Sonya Gomez and Geordi could have totally banged her but the writers were like 'nope' and straight up dropped her from the series.

Just in case y'all forgot that Data got laid more than Geordi.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

criscodisco posted:

It does sorta make sense, if the crew is 99% human, but it does get old.

I do laugh every time they try to give an example from history though, because it always follows the same formula: two historic human examples followed by one alien example.

E.g. "It's like the French uprising against the monarchy in the 1700's, or the civil rights movement of 1960's America, or the Ressican freedom wars of 2275."

if they did only actual historical examples, people would be all "heh guess history ended in the 20th century!" and if they did only future examples people would be all "who's this 'glip-glop' fella the captain just referenced, did i miss something when i got back late from going to the shitter during commercial??"

viewers were/are dumb, DS9 got a lot of letters from people angry about them destroying Captain Picard and the Enterprise when the Odyssey bit it in the first Jem'Hadar episode

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Butts posted:

Haha I'm at the TNG episode where they introduce Sonya Gomez and Geordi could have totally banged her but the writers were like 'nope' and straight up dropped her from the series.

Just in case y'all forgot that Data got laid more than Geordi.

wesley got laid more than geordi

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
Apparently these are now legal tender in Canada:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The writer's really had it out for Geordi's love life.

Also Sonya Gomez was a fine looking strumpet.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wesley got laid more than geordi

Well no poo poo. Wesley was railing broads like Ashley Judd, his game is tight.

edit: also don't forget some furry fuckin' alien chick wanted to jump his bones too.

Wesley played it cool when she had to go lie "Well drat if you were just your regular self instead of pretending to be a hot chick I'd have more respect.."

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 16, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

criscodisco posted:

I love it when Voyager finds an old rusty pickup truck floating in space, and B'lanna asks if it's a hover car. It clearly has great big rubber tires, idiot. She's one hell of an engineer.

Voy really needed an episode where some 1970s person is beamed to the ship and Tom's all "look I have a Thunderbird in the holosuite and I'm doing a whole engine swap", while the time-hobo is all "you can imagine anything with this and you choose to spend it working on a loving car?"

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Roylicious posted:

Where's the Checkov coin

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Roylicious posted:

Sadly they arent priced at face value so "The Scottie", "The Kirkie" and "The Meldie" will never circulate enough to join the loonie and the toonie.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The Seska character could have been cool if they didn't introduce her and out her as a spy like the second or maybe third episode that she's in. If they would have had Janeway lock up somebody every few weeks, while Seska cat and mouses around the ship with Tuvok would have been super cool. Whelp another wasted thing.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

The General posted:

The Seska character could have been cool if they didn't introduce her and out her as a spy like the second or maybe third episode that she's in. If they would have had Janeway lock up somebody every few weeks, while Seska cat and mouses around the ship with Tuvok would have been super cool. Whelp another wasted thing.

She should have gotten pregnant on the ship, Chakotay's, and is found out only by the Doctor doing a scan of the baby. It would be even more shocking, going from intimate lover to self serving traitor.
But no, she did the dirty with a Kazon instead of just loving taking a copy of Voyager's science library and becoming the Stephanie Jobs of the Delta Quadrant selling tech.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

She should have gotten pregnant on the ship, Chakotay's, and is found out only by the Doctor doing a scan of the baby. It would be even more shocking, going from intimate lover to self serving traitor.
But no, she did the dirty with a Kazon instead of just loving taking a copy of Voyager's science library and becoming the Stephanie Jobs of the Delta Quadrant selling tech.

Wasn't it originally suppose to be Chakotays child? Like his by actual conception, but then the writers thought that created to much "conflict".

The General
Mar 4, 2007

And now a holodeck episode based around Beowolf. Ugh. No thanks. gently caress. Thirty seven minutes left.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
A magic room with the ability to create anything, so long as it's a public domain book or a simulation where you order your coworkers to sacrifice themselves

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A magic room with the ability to create anything, so long as it's a public domain book or a simulation where you order your coworkers to sacrifice themselves

It's the perfect synthesis of future technology and future copyright law.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Where's the Checkov coin

You don't introduce Checkov's coin when nobody is going to spend it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

General Dog posted:

You don't introduce Checkov's coin when nobody is going to spend it.

:golfclap:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

All hail our hero Schweitzer! He who cannot be harmed by weapons and will give us our salvation!

Schweitzer!
Schweitzer!
Schweitzer!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

His only name was and is Shmullus

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The General posted:

And now a holodeck episode based around Beowolf. Ugh. No thanks. gently caress. Thirty seven minutes left.
It's a cute episode, because it sets up the Doctor's self discovery arc AND he gets holo-laid.

Even the EMH got laid more than La Forge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Maybe Geordi would have gotten space laid if his pickup line wasn't "so I just got through reading your personal logs, and..."