Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
it's weird how nerds spend their lives getting bullied then when they meet a person they finally hold an advantage over (bad @ math) they just can't help themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Games that have crafting systems that don't just tell you the amount of raw ingredients you'll need to craft a thing are doing it because their developer couldn't be hosed, not because it's some insurmountable obstacle. From a coding point of view I can already see how it could be done in a basic way and that's after like a few seconds of thinking about it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ArtIsResistance posted:

it's weird how nerds spend their lives getting bullied then when they meet a person they finally hold an advantage over (bad @ math) they just can't help themselves
Excel is literally designed to be used by old ladies to represent church tithe earnings in graphs labeled in comic sans, but he locks up at the thought of numbers occupying cells like he has PTSD from being a faceless inmate, sympathizing with their plight

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hi don't respond to ArtIsResistance they are a bad dumb troll that should have been banned ages ago, thanks in advance.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

Excel is literally designed to be used by old ladies to represent church tithe earnings in graphs labeled in comic sans, but he locks up at the thought of numbers occupying cells like he has PTSD from being a faceless inmate, sympathizing with their plight

I'd like to see his reaction to playing Eve online.

Dumpbuckets
Dec 26, 2012

shadow president is really fun and cool at times but i wish the game wouldn't bug out when my gnp growth rate would exceed a certain threshold

also leadership effectiveness is a really lovely stat that shouldn't exist because its stupid easy to maintain once you grind it up to above 90%, but sucks to actually raise at first

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
If I have to go outside of a game and build a motherfucking spreadsheet to play it, that game is doing "fun" totally wrong.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aleph Null posted:

If I have to go outside of a game and build a motherfucking spreadsheet to play it, that game is doing "fun" totally wrong.

Pretty much this, that's all. Much like how I don't think a five hours wiki tour should be mandatory to get even a basic feel for how to play your game.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Picked up Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, which is an HD remake of a gorgeous old PS2 game, with some updated graphics and gameplay.

The game gives you the option to pick between English and Japanese voice acting, but the voice acting in cut-scenes is unspeakably bad in English, and the battle noises in Japanese are gratingly squeaky/orgasmic sounding.
No win, no joy.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Poulpe posted:

Picked up Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir, which is an HD remake of a gorgeous old PS2 game, with some updated graphics and gameplay.

The game gives you the option to pick between English and Japanese voice acting, but the voice acting in cut-scenes is unspeakably bad in English, and the battle noises in Japanese are gratingly squeaky/orgasmic sounding.
No win, no joy.

I'm rather glad I got out of JRPGs before they went 3D and full Voice acting.
Worst I had to put up with was " well, that's somewhere round 80 points" and " BE- HIND ME?!~"

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Johnny Aztec posted:

Worst I had to put up with was " well, that's somewhere round 80 points" and " BE- HIND ME?!~"

Star Ocean for PS1 :3: Gotta love the occasional Japanese line accidentally left in, or the classic "C'MERE, BARNEY!"

Odin Sphere is actually 2D and quite gorgeous, (seriously check out this gameplay) and the English translation is fine, it's just that you can tell the English actors acted every voiced line one at a time, with no understanding of the context or which lines come before or after them, not to mention the animations timed to match Japanese speech. Everything just comes out janky and unrehearsed.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Johnny Aztec posted:

Bad voice acting, even amongst JRPGs, is a rarity in this day and age. There are a few stinkers, but nowadays VAs are at worst mediocre.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Kay Kessler posted:

Bad voice acting, even amongst JRPGs, is a rarity in this day and age. There are a few stinkers, but nowadays VAs are at worst mediocre.

Yes, but full VA, coupled with the above ^ just lets them be even more Japanese than before.
In the SNES/PS1 days, they were limited heavily by constraints. Yes, chrono trigger, Star ocean and others were anime, but it was fairly muted, and could be mostly ignored.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
When games give me the option I usually turn voice acting off. I'm not sure why really, just a habit at this point.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

English voice acting in fighting games is just wrong. It's not a proper fighting game unless the special attacks are shouted out in English but by a Japanese VA with a strong accent.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

English voice acting in fighting games is just wrong. It's not a proper fighting game unless the special attacks are shouted out in English but by a Japanese VA with a strong accent.

I refuse to accept any fighting game vocals where me and my friends can't jokingly misinterpret what the characters are saying and spend the entire fight trying to make as many "hadoken" sounding comments as possible.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
More games would let you use the japanese dub if japanese voice actors weren't so ridiculous about licensing. It's getting to the point where the newest Tales game doesn't let you record videos or take screenshots because of licensing issues and when they released the HD version of FFX/X-2 on PC you couldn't play with Japanese voice acting and English subtitles even though it installs both audio tracks.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Play FFX in Japanese? And miss out on STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER!? Or ride ze shoopuf? What's wrong with your head, man?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dawn of War 3 is going to be more RTSy than Dawn of War 2, rather than less RTSy. And that series was so close to being king of the real time with pause RPG genre :(

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

In fairness, someone who doesn't speak Japanese doing a blind LP of FF10 without the English subtitles sounds like it would be quite the experience as they try to figure out what the gently caress is going on.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Moon Monster posted:

Dawn of War 3 is going to be more RTSy than Dawn of War 2, rather than less RTSy. And that series was so close to being king of the real time with pause RPG genre :(

Aw. Dawn of War 2 was amazing.
:smith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

im pooping! posted:

Play FFX in Japanese? And miss out on STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER!? Or ride ze shoopuf? What's wrong with your head, man?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

im pooping! posted:

I don't mind the English dub, I just don't like having a 40gb download for a PS2 game where half of it is voice acting and cutscenes that you can't even really take advantage of without modding the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Which is the Square-Enix that publishes solid PC-ports and which is the Square-Enix that develops troubled travesties like FFXV and the endless Kingdom Hearts games?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That scene is bad in both languages.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Which is the Square-Enix that publishes solid PC-ports and which is the Square-Enix that develops troubled travesties like FFXV and the endless Kingdom Hearts games?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Nuebot posted:

That scene is bad in both languages.

Except the coin is burned on both sides.

We get a good game when it lands on edge.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
The plot to 10 makes no sense either way so at least if you play it in a language you don't understand at all there's a disconnect that can only benefit the game over what's given to you via explanations and character actions.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Slime posted:

Except the coin is burned on both sides.

We get a good game when it lands on edge.

Who cares for you? You're nothing but a pack of cards.

content: Square-Enix never made good on the Enix-half. We got a dozen cash-grabbing ports of FF IV, and yet we never got a single remake of stuff like Terranigma.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Morglon posted:

The plot to 10 makes no sense either way so at least if you play it in a language you don't understand at all there's a disconnect that can only benefit the game over what's given to you via explanations and character actions.

What didn't make sense? Sports star gets sucked into sky anus and winds up in another world where he destroys their primary religion by hitting a woodlouse with a sword and then high fives his dad after causing much societal upheaval and banging his girlfriend in a pond. Makes perfect sense.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

content: Square-Enix never made good on the Enix-half. We got a dozen cash-grabbing ports of FF IV, and yet we never got a single remake of stuff like Terranigma.
I'm actually still really annoyed by this too because I'm one of those nerds who always liked Dragon Quest more than Final Fantasy. But Dragon Quest 9 was bad, it felt way more like a Final Fantasy game than it did a Dragon Quest game and 10 is an MMO we'll probably never see stateside.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
The oddest thing about Square-Enix is how many solid games their Western studios have produced. No megahits, I suppose, but outside few stinkers (Kane & Lynch, Thi4f) they have really good track record.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Morglon posted:

FFX's plot is actually one of the simpler ones in the series.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, X's story makes more sense than any of the Playstation ones and also has the benefit of the big bad not being some random evil they introduce 15 minutes before the game ends. It's just that that X came out when all the kids who grew up with the PSX ones were too old and cool to enjoy this dumb baby game about a jock and his friends going on a sunny carribean adventure.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
The part where he didn't actually go into the future but he's like the collective ghost or dream or something of all the other people that died??? except there is another more normal type of ghost that one of your other guys is too? and that guy was also present in the past somehow? never made sense to me, and if you have to use more than 1 misspelled / repurposed english word in the explanation, I will maintain that it still does not. I feel like they knew what the first and last scenes were going to be and had a lot of trouble justifying them both.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

swamp waste posted:

The part where he didn't actually go into the future but he's like the collective ghost or dream or something of all the other people that died??? except there is another more normal type of ghost that one of your other guys is too? and that guy was also present in the past somehow? never made sense to me, and if you have to use more than 1 misspelled / repurposed english word in the explanation, I will maintain that it still does not. I feel like they knew what the first and last scenes were going to be and had a lot of trouble justifying them both.

C'mon, man, this is easy.

Tidus is an escapee from a collective dream about the past; he's no type of ghost. Auron is a flat-out ghost, who's too metal to pass on. He made a ddigest how that happened in-universe.

Just like how FFXII is Anime Star Wars, FFX is Anime Fallout. Strip the story of the fantasy weirdness and it'd be indistinguishable from something Bioware or Bethesda would write.

EDIT: vv That is basically what his deal is. Tidus was a flawed memory of that dude.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 03:32 on Jun 18, 2016

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

swamp waste posted:

From X-2 we learned there was a dude in old Zanarkand that used to look a lot like Tidus, my belief was Tidus was actually a recollection the dreamers had of this dude, and was then given life through their power.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
FFX takes place in a world where ghosts are not only real but the default setting for death unless your soul is sent along by a summoner. Complaining about ghosts being a thing in FFX is like complaining about how unrealistic it is that belief can shape reality in Planescape: Torment.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Another generic, unfair dragging-down that's more about me than the games themselves:

Games where you have a lot of options/choices don't have the replay value they should because I become too attached to the options and stuff I've made. It's like the first time I played the game was the Official Way, and now I'm just playing What-If versions.

Take Mass Effect. I'm kinda getting the urge to play it again, but I know for a fact that I'd play it exactly like I've always done: Male, Paragon, Solider. Every time I've started a playthrough where I vow to do things differently, I wind up abandoning them because, deep down, I just want to play it the same way I always have. Which I've done enough to not want to play again.

Fallout? Shooter guy, works for good guys only. Kotor? Light side. Every game where I can do anything, I only want to do it one way.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bushmaori posted:

From X-2 we learned there was a dude in old Zanarkand that used to look a lot like Tidus, my belief was Tidus was actually a recollection the dreamers had of this dude, and was then given life through their power.

I think that's kind of what's implied? Like people like Tidus and Jecht aren't real people but they're memories and dreams of people that were real since most of the real people are the giant wall making the dream. So Tidus isn't the real guy but he's a better version of him who isn't a jackass.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

MisterBibs posted:

Another generic, unfair dragging-down that's more about me than the games themselves:

Games where you have a lot of options/choices don't have the replay value they should because I become too attached to the options and stuff I've made. It's like the first time I played the game was the Official Way, and now I'm just playing What-If versions.

Take Mass Effect. I'm kinda getting the urge to play it again, but I know for a fact that I'd play it exactly like I've always done: Male, Paragon, Solider. Every time I've started a playthrough where I vow to do things differently, I wind up abandoning them because, deep down, I just want to play it the same way I always have. Which I've done enough to not want to play again.

Fallout? Shooter guy, works for good guys only. Kotor? Light side. Every game where I can do anything, I only want to do it one way.

That's not wrong, though. If you enjoyed it, more power to you.

If - and only if you want to try it - I highly recommend being a psychic in Mass Effect 1. It's broken in some silly ways, and high level psychic powers means you can throw the giant geth tank-things around, and it's great. Possibly my favorite implementation of that kind of psychic power in any video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MisterBibs posted:

That's fine for the foreseeable future since there's no major game that changes significantly no matter what you choose.