Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Literally crawl into the tunnel to safety.

Can a mech crawl? That would be a strange sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Orders in, going to Hex 2934, which gives me a good position to get into the evac zone and retreat next turn. Shooting the grendel.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gwaihir posted:

Well, I mean the mission wasn't even close to done on turn 4 :???:

The mission was always just to hold out and escape, and by turn 4 they'd stirred up the hornet's nest enough that they could've fallen back to the extraction point and held it absolutely no longer than necessary. The next few turns of brawling racked up a lot of kills but it also meant slow mechs like the Atlas (and the crippled Gunsmith, which we have to admit made a big mistake trying to kick an Ace three times his size) had to crawl back to the extraction zone giving plenty of time for enemy stars to show up.

That we've just crossed the six-turn main objective timer with no one withdrawn yet and no real chance of surviving another six turns (unless someone gets cut off and goes out in a turns-long last stand) isn't a good outcome, and has only been mitigated by above-average shooting luck. Ideally this turn would be the very last extractions, not the first wave, and that would've required falling back sooner. There's still a decent chance that everyone makes it out but this is definitely a tricky situation that's going to require more luck and a lot more coordination to get people out.

But of course, this is a game people are playing to have fun and the spectacle of GoonCompany's rampage and against-the-odds escape has been Hogarth-worthy, so the players certainly haven't been playing wrong. Just leery that the last couple turns could be a real come-down.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The other thing to keep in mind is that the information we had from spoilers about inbound reinforcements (specifically Ath's star) being invalidated by the change of objectives caught us somewhat off-guard about just how fast the Clans were going to be able to get overwhelming force here.

I don't think any of us expected to have 6 stars of reinforcements appear within two minutes including a bunch of kitted out Assaults, and the Lights appearing right on top of us was also a surprise.

Keep on trucking, Goonlance. You guys are mostly doing good. Coordination may have been your weak point at some times during this mission, but if you can clean that up for the extraction phase you might just make it out of here in force despite the odds. :toot:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Dolash posted:

The mission was always just to hold out and escape, and by turn 4 they'd stirred up the hornet's nest enough that they could've fallen back to the extraction point and held it absolutely no longer than necessary. The next few turns of brawling racked up a lot of kills but it also meant slow mechs like the Atlas (and the crippled Gunsmith, which we have to admit made a big mistake trying to kick an Ace three times his size) had to crawl back to the extraction zone giving plenty of time for enemy stars to show up.

That we've just crossed the six-turn main objective timer with no one withdrawn yet and no real chance of surviving another six turns (unless someone gets cut off and goes out in a turns-long last stand) isn't a good outcome, and has only been mitigated by above-average shooting luck. Ideally this turn would be the very last extractions, not the first wave, and that would've required falling back sooner. There's still a decent chance that everyone makes it out but this is definitely a tricky situation that's going to require more luck and a lot more coordination to get people out.

But of course, this is a game people are playing to have fun and the spectacle of GoonCompany's rampage and against-the-odds escape has been Hogarth-worthy, so the players certainly haven't been playing wrong. Just leery that the last couple turns could be a real come-down.

I agree that GoonMercenary Company probably should've been withdrawing towards the tunnel sooner, especially once the reinforcement lances showed up, if not before when the objectives changed from raid to survive, and especially when the Assault Star with Ath made its presence known, but I really think you're harping on them a bit much. I was saying to start withdrawing as soon as those guys showed up as well, if not earlier when the raid mission was scrubbed, but I'm still happy with the result. Sure, they didn't consolidate on the tunnel as quickly as I had hoped, popping out further from the tunnel in some cases instead to get better shots and possibly cover the rest of the Demon Hawks' retreat, but it has made for a better mission right now as some things come down to the wire and Duncan's Atlas keeps killing and adding to it's Demon reputation.

Yes, the luck of PTN's dice have been usually in Goons' favor this time around, but it really has been a better sight to watch. Sure, consolidating and making for the tunnel to hasten the retreat would've been better tactically, but this course of action has been more fun to watch, especially with spectacular shots and the sudden appearance of the infantry by the tunnel throwing everyone's plans for retreat off. You can't really argue with the action that's been happening these last couple of turns and the suspense of seeing if all of GoonMercenary Company will be able to make it out in spite of the number of Stars pursuing and trying to vape them.

PoptartsNinja posted:

(seriously, go for the tornado)

garland336 posted:

You know it's getting good when the DM/GM advocates you run your two story high robot through a tornado to shake off infantry.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Just gotta make it to 2830. There's a reasonable chance the Tornado's going to wind up there in the shooting phase.

I mean, there's also a good chance that it won't. :shrug:

El Spamo posted:

Aaahhh! I can't reach it, it's all uphill aaaahhhh :gonk:

Isn't the tornado movement randomized? I think I can get as close as 2831 and pray. If it doesn't hit me next round I'm not sure I'll have enough time/armor to get to the evac zone if I have to go chasing it.

This would be amazing if it actually happened and the Rain Devil cooperated with its random movement, but I wouldn't count on it. Throwing yourself to the ground seems like a more boring but better way to dislodge the swarming infantry, though that being the only option (and not say, being able to shoot them off with how scattershot Battletech weaponry tends to be, or even drenching them in Frag LRMs that do no damage to mech armor) makes me roll my eyes at the rules on how mechs interact with mechs and such, but we've discussed that to death already because of this last couple of turns here, so I won't try to rehash it.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 16, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Zaodai posted:

The other thing to keep in mind is that the information we had from spoilers about inbound reinforcements (specifically Ath's star) being invalidated by the change of objectives caught us somewhat off-guard about just how fast the Clans were going to be able to get overwhelming force here.

It's almost like this was the real mission from the start and they weren't told because no one in their right mind would go on such an obvious suicide mission.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 16, 2016

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Orders in. As posted in the Gdoc, I'm extracting before I go down to anything more damaging than a stiff breeze.

Is there an award for "Least Contribution By A Player"?

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

GhostStalker posted:

the sudden appearance of the infantry by the tunnel throwing everyone's plans for retreat off.

It wasn't really sudden, people in the thread were warning gooncompany about it for a couple of turns prior but nobody noticed or did anything about it. :v:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Great Beer posted:

It wasn't really sudden, people in the thread were warning gooncompany about it for a couple of turns prior but nobody noticed or did anything about it. :v:

True, I, among others, had been harping on it for a couple turns earlier than their discovery because of the previously seen movements of the foot infantry platoons in the city to the southeast and the fact that they seemed to be moving north a little bit at a time when observed by the mechs of GoonMercenary Company. I didn't expect the Jump Infantry to be there as well after taking a dogleg around the hill and ridge behind the tunnel though.

Still, the reaction of the thread when the infantry were revealed showed that it was kinda unexpected and threw the previous plans for retreat into disarray.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Where is the chameleons wreck anyway? I'm having trouble spotting it on the map

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Great Beer posted:

It's almost like this was the real mission from the start and they weren't told because no one in their right mind would go on such an obvious suicide mission.

Eh, the spoilers we received were from PTN, not from in-universe command.

Our mission was explicitly to attack and draw their front line units back, and then the change came up regarding the McKenna. I think the bigger thing that caught us (as players, not characters in the story) off-guard was the time window. Like I said previously, they couldn't even get their mechs started in 5 minutes the last time they ate a sneak attack. Now they've got overwhelming force from all directions in two minutes.

I wonder if our new bondsman tipped them off somehow? In story, them knowing about the attack in advance and using it as a trap is the only thing that really makes sense for what we're seeing. I knew we should have killed him when we had the chance. :argh:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

TheParadigm posted:

Where is the chameleons wreck anyway? I'm having trouble spotting it on the map

It's the mech in 2336, highlighted in yellow and with the 2 (as in turn turns left to pull off the cockpit) superimposed on it.

Zaodai posted:

Our mission was explicitly to attack and draw their front line units back, and then the change came up regarding the McKenna. I think the bigger thing that caught us (as players, not characters in the story) off-guard was the time window. Like I said previously, they couldn't even get their mechs started in 5 minutes the last time they ate a sneak attack. Now they've got overwhelming force from all directions in two minutes.

I wonder if our new bondsman tipped them off somehow? In story, them knowing about the attack in advance and using it as a trap is the only thing that really makes sense for what we're seeing. I knew we should have killed him when we had the chance. :argh:

I really doubt that. These are likely the fast reaction Stars tasked with defense of this area, they already were in their mechs and patrolling the area, but not right near the airfield or whatever. Ath's and Kaz'e Stars were likely here for the glory based off of their previous appearances in other missions, coming here instead of the front lines after they heard what was going down from the garrison Stars or whatever. Probably the same with the Star Colonel heading up the Light Star, but coming here instead of scouting like he was probably assigned to do (and look at what that got him).

Highly doubt Bondsman Noretti was the one who gave away the game, likely this was a trap or just poor luck with the fast response element of the Garrison Cluster rather close by to come in quickly. Besides, aren't Bondsmen supposed to transfer loyalty to their captors upon being made bondsmen? I'm not saying that she'd give up her Clan or Snow Raven convictions at the drop of a hat because of being made bondsman, but would she betray the Demon Hawks like that as their captive?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 16, 2016

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Vorenus posted:

Orders in. As posted in the Gdoc, I'm extracting before I go down to anything more damaging than a stiff breeze.

Is there an award for "Least Contribution By A Player"?
When going to 2733, I just wanted to confirm that you are going over the hill in 2534 instead of trying to turn on concrete and skidding out.

And don't worry, you'll have your time to shine next mission!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Do we have six mechs confirmed leaving this turn yet? As long as we do that our losses will be limited, the only real fuckery is going to happen if they get someone in the zone to block us all.

e: gdoc has the atlas and the stag leaving this round

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

GhostStalker posted:

Probably the same with the Star Colonel heading up the Light Star, but coming here instead of scouting like he was probably assigned to do (and look at what that got him).

Also ignored the entire conga line of Revenants that went off map in that same direction, he did.

@sebmojo - Even if we don't have a full six, we do want to block runners off from being able to move into the southern triad of entrance hexes in the withdrawl zone. That HAS to happen. Six withdraws does not necessarily need to, although at least 4 probably should.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Also ignored the entire conga line of Revenants that went off map in that same direction, he did.

Huh, forgot about that. Now he's done even more damage in his quest for glory besides getting his Solitaire one shot by the Atlas in his haste to get to the field. Guess I should've have expected much more from a Star Colonel with a Bloodname. Probably just wanted to cover himself in as much glory as possible, and getting here as quickly as he could while ignoring the Revenants was what he judged to be the best way to do so.

Bad idea there, but I doubt he'll get blamed for anything the good doggies that he failed to stop will do behind the lines after this mission is over.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 16, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I hope the Dadlas gets away safely. If it does all this damage and gets away without eating crippling damage (or worse, getting destroyed), it'll leave a strong impression on the Clans. It's like the Terminator just kicked in their door with a shotgun and started murdering people.

Plus, Dadlas needs to get home. He has work in the morning.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also, if part of the purpose of this raid was to make a convincing raid that would force the enemy to commit significant forces to the area, it sure as hell did that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If the clanners had held back for a minute (and let the goons shoot up the planes unimpeded) they could have brought 20-30 mechs into range at the same time and would have completely obliterated the Demon Hawks in about three rounds of shooting. Their real fuckup was running onto the field as fast as they could, and therefore arriving one star at a time. They handed numerical superiority to the invaders and very rightfully paid for it.

Of course, this is emblematic of the overconfidence and suicidal "bravery" of the Clans, so PTN has played it exactly right. It's also the only way the scenario made sense, because the Demon Hawks never would have taken this assignment if Clan base defense doctrine involved grouping up six stars of mechs before counterattacking an invader. And at this point in the Clan invasion, basic base defense doctrine should be a well-known thing, not something Amaris has to discover experimentally.

So: Amaris knows how Clan base defense is likely to play out, handpicks his best merc company, and gives them a very dangerous but absolutely survivable task of killing the idiots (in, admittedly, very dangerous battlemechs) which will force the Clans to bring front-line (probably much smarter and less suicidally ambitious, or at least more competent) units back to defend their footholds on this planet.

Meanwhile Amaris' sigint is paying attention to the position of the McKenna, and by the time the Demon Hawks arrive in-situ he's got a Plan B that is more risky for them, but lets him do... something... about the Clan Invasion's most critical lynchpin, their irreplaceable military transport and orbital firepower.

So, if you'll recall, the change in mission was negotiated over the radio: the Demon Hawks were offered much higher pay for taking the extended higher risk of remaining on the field regardless of how many Clan forces showed up. They took it voluntarily, or at least their commanders did. Amaris had to consider they could say no, and if they did, Plan A still plays out and he still gains advantage by it.

It may be that the Clan defenders assumed the Demon Hawks would retreat at the first sign of serious resistance, and that explains the rush to get into firefight range with one or two stars at a time, but I don't buy it. I think they're just typical indoctrinated Clan idiots more interested in the glory of being the ones who defended their base and getting kills, then considering the tactical situation and holding back for reinforcements.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 16, 2016

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

El Spamo posted:

Literally crawl into the tunnel to safety.

Can a mech crawl? That would be a strange sight.

Please bear in mind that if you check its character sheet the Lancelot possesses a campaign-specific skill called "Reflexive Kneel" that allows it to remain standing after a fall with a successful piloting test.

So two turns to run up the hill into a car wash, then next turn drop down three levels from the lip of the tunnel directly into the evac zone may be an option if PTN allows this. If he does, it's a risky option but an option. Without it you'd probably need three turns to escape if you went up the hill, this way you can escape even if you needed to adjust movement to chase after the twister. At the very least, you're less likely to get shot at than if you take a fall in front of the tunnel.

Though rolling on the ground, then getting back up next turn also only takes two turns. Both options rely on piloting rolls. The problem with being on the ground, I suspect, is a lack of movement mods to defend yourself from shooting. You're not the only potential target but with a low to-hit number you'd be a more vulnerable and tempting one than most.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Clans showing up piecemeal is definitely "If I get there first, I get the most honor!", I'm just more suspicious of the amount and speed of arrival of the reinforcements rather than their battle doctrine.

That said, if the players pull this off it will be an incredible victory. If not against the Clans (where it will still be a big victory), then at least against the dice. If they had even "regular" goonlance dice luck this mission, I think they'd almost all be dead right now. They've really been fighting that much of a completely uphill battle.

Are there rules for adding a giant, purely cosmetic golden crown to a mech? King Dadlas, the ultimate enemy of the Clan way of life. He's a better warrior, he's a Dad, and he represents a monarchy. All hail King Dadlas!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Are there rules for adding a giant, purely cosmetic golden crown to a mech? King Dadlas, the ultimate enemy of the Clan way of life. He's a better warrior, he's a Dad, and he represents a monarchy. All hail King Dadlas!

Ain't nothing in the rules that says you can't add cosmetic bodywork to a `Mech.

Hell, I even asked to be allowed to do that for an illustration in FM3145 and they said yeah go for it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

If the clanners had held back for a minute (and let the goons shoot up the planes unimpeded) they could have brought 20-30 mechs into range at the same time and would have completely obliterated the Demon Hawks in about three rounds of shooting. Their real fuckup was running onto the field as fast as they could, and therefore arriving one star at a time. They handed numerical superiority to the invaders and very rightfully paid for it.

Of course, this is emblematic of the overconfidence and suicidal "bravery" of the Clans, so PTN has played it exactly right. It's also the only way the scenario made sense, because the Demon Hawks never would have taken this assignment if Clan base defense doctrine involved grouping up six stars of mechs before counterattacking an invader. And at this point in the Clan invasion, basic base defense doctrine should be a well-known thing, not something Amaris has to discover experimentally.

So: Amaris knows how Clan base defense is likely to play out, handpicks his best merc company, and gives them a very dangerous but absolutely survivable task of killing the idiots (in, admittedly, very dangerous battlemechs) which will force the Clans to bring front-line (probably much smarter and less suicidally ambitious, or at least more competent) units back to defend their footholds on this planet.

Meanwhile Amaris' sigint is paying attention to the position of the McKenna, and by the time the Demon Hawks arrive in-situ he's got a Plan B that is more risky for them, but lets him do... something... about the Clan Invasion's most critical lynchpin, their irreplaceable military transport and orbital firepower.

So, if you'll recall, the change in mission was negotiated over the radio: the Demon Hawks were offered much higher pay for taking the extended higher risk of remaining on the field regardless of how many Clan forces showed up. They took it voluntarily, or at least their commanders did. Amaris had to consider they could say no, and if they did, Plan A still plays out and he still gains advantage by it.

It may be that the Clan defenders assumed the Demon Hawks would retreat at the first sign of serious resistance, and that explains the rush to get into firefight range with one or two stars at a time, but I don't buy it. I think they're just typical indoctrinated Clan idiots more interested in the glory of being the ones who defended their base and getting kills, then considering the tactical situation and holding back for reinforcements.

Zaodai posted:

Clans showing up piecemeal is definitely "If I get there first, I get the most honor!", I'm just more suspicious of the amount and speed of arrival of the reinforcements rather than their battle doctrine.
Yeah, this is Amaris knowing all that he does about the Clans and using that to bait them into the worst possible position for the most advantage to him on this raid, while not risking any of his own house units and using a mercenary company instead, albeit one that has been shown to be successful and that he has a personal interest in. The Demon Hawks were likely the best tool for the job here, and Dadlas being there to gently caress everything up is just icing on the cake. He planned Andurien to be the Stalingrad of the Clans this way, so I can understand him being able to play the Clans response to a raid this way as well, plus whatever he has planned for the Snow Raven McKenna in orbit. And he made a great choice, as GoonMercenary Company is doing rather well for what they've put in here, albeit with support from the good doggies.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jun 16, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Please bear in mind that if you check its character sheet the Lancelot possesses a campaign-specific skill called "Reflexive Kneel" that allows it to remain standing after a fall with a successful piloting test.

So two turns to run up the hill into a car wash, then next turn drop down three levels from the lip of the tunnel directly into the evac zone may be an option if PTN allows this. If he does, it's a risky option but an option. Without it you'd probably need three turns to escape if you went up the hill, this way you can escape even if you needed to adjust movement to chase after the twister. At the very least, you're less likely to get shot at than if you take a fall in front of the tunnel.

Though rolling on the ground, then getting back up next turn also only takes two turns. Both options rely on piloting rolls. The problem with being on the ground, I suspect, is a lack of movement mods to defend yourself from shooting. You're not the only potential target but with a low to-hit number you'd be a more vulnerable and tempting one than most.

He could very well blow off his legs, though, since the fall damage would be entirely distributed to them.

Corponation
Apr 21, 2007

Fantastic.
Don't forget to put your moves into the Google Doc

We need to know who is leaving which turn. We currently have four potential slots open. If nobody takes one, I could edit my orders to put the champion at the 2734 or 2834 withdrawl hex instead.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Ain't nothing in the rules that says you can't add cosmetic bodywork to a `Mech.

Hell, I even asked to be allowed to do that for an illustration in FM3145 and they said yeah go for it.

Paint a running tally of mech kills on the barrel of the Dadlas' heavy gauss.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gwaihir posted:

He could very well blow off his legs, though, since the fall damage would be entirely distributed to them.

That's true. With the Lancelot's weight and the length of the drop (24 damage split into 5pt clusters), the right leg would almost definitely take a crit and, if the dice are feeling really vicious, take enough damage to pop off altogether. Which would be incredibly

Oh well. Pick yer poison El Spamo!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I am not withdrawing. The Screamer will be on search-and-rescue in case anyone goes down. I will be in the third and last batch off the field.

Besides, there's still more lights to obliterate.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Who's getting the pilot who is already down?

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

I am not withdrawing. The Screamer will be on search-and-rescue in case anyone goes down. I will be in the third and last batch off the field.

Besides, there's still more lights to obliterate.

I will die laughing if your hubris gets our best non-bondsman pilot killed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Night10194 posted:

Who's getting the pilot who is already down?

I'm picking up Icepick this round, then jumping to the exit (or i could run, which lets me get to any of the 3 SW hexes if i count right) and leaving next round unless someone wants to make a strong argument for sticking around one more turn.

It's all very well being the heaviest armour on the field, but there's no reason why they'd shoot me instead of someone else so getting two pilots out alive might be a higher priority.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Alright, to tally, here's our current escape vectors from the doc.

THIS TURN
Atlas
Stag

NEXT TURN
Salamander
Grasshopper + pilot
Flashman(?)
Champion

THIRD TURN
Screamer
Dragoon II(?)
Mad Dog(?)
Phoenix Hawk(?)

UNKNOWN
Lancelot
Komodo
Gunsmith
Ostscout

At minimum the Gunsmith really should bail this turn, and the PXH and Champion should strongly consider doing so as well.

vv Agreed, you can probably survive another turn. Dadlas needs out because of just general poor health, the Stag is basically worthless in further combat, the Gunsmith and PHawk both are on the verge of being legged and the Champion's got an open head. They're definite priorities. The rest of us can all probably take another round of pounding.

Tempest_56 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 17, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, to tally, here's our current escape vectors from the doc.

This is in part why I haven't cemented my move/action in the doc. I have options towards various ends, including quicker retreat or more vehement rearguard. This isn't me being suicidal either, as there are several problem mechs that *need* to go down for easier retreat turns in the coming rounds.

That said, I'm flexible and I don't plan on suicidal last stands, and I could easily be on the list for next turn's withdraws. Not a terrible idea given my armor status either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I will die laughing if your hubris gets our best non-bondsman pilot killed.

The guy with the highest possible move mod really should be among those leaving last, though. Because the enemy is going to close on the tunnel every round, and so they're probably going to put a lot of medium and short range shots into that turn 3 crew. Those guys need to either have lots of armor or a high move mod or (ideally) both.

If the Screamer leaves early that's probably a more vulnerable mech having to leave late. I don't think that's hubris, it's just necessity.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

The guy with the highest possible move mod really should be among those leaving last, though. Because the enemy is going to close on the tunnel every round, and so they're probably going to put a lot of medium and short range shots into that turn 3 crew. Those guys need to either have lots of armor or a high move mod or (ideally) both.

If the Screamer leaves early that's probably a more vulnerable mech having to leave late. I don't think that's hubris, it's just necessity.

Unless I'm mistaken (and correct me if I am), he is a single hit to the head - from anything - away from crippling if not outright killing the leader of this mercenary outfit, in a mech described as a 'pilot killer'. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which fate (and PTN's dice) could be tempted harder then this.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

To be fair, hitting the head requires rolling boxcars on the hit location chart after pretty much rolling boxcars to actually hit the Screamer.

That said, yeah, it's definitely extremely vulnerable to Dice Shenanigans.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Unless I'm mistaken (and correct me if I am), he is a single hit to the head - from anything - away from crippling if not outright killing the leader of this mercenary outfit, in a mech described as a 'pilot killer'. I'm having a hard time imagining a scenario in which fate (and PTN's dice) could be tempted harder then this.

The plus side is that he's able to guarantee a +4 or +5 to-hit move mod each turn - with the weather even Ath's best shots are going to be 9s and 10s*, and most of the stuff on the field will literally be incapable of hitting.

(* - as long as Loxbourne doesn't lose his mind and land in short range of a 2 gun Hellstar, which is basic common sense..)

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Zaodai posted:

I'm sure you could fluff it as like, an armored cowl or some poo poo. I think that's a quirk, so there's not tonnage at stake. only negative quirks.

Corponation posted:

Don't forget to put your moves into the Google Doc

We need to know who is leaving which turn. We currently have four potential slots open. If nobody takes one, I could edit my orders to put the champion at the 2734 or 2834 withdrawl hex instead.

On the subject of Group Coordination Things, I have recently discovered Twiddla as a thing thanks to another gaming group.

It has some neat features, like the ability to upload a picture and draw over it, whiteboard style, and seems to also be free to use.
Figured it should be something to pass along. Visual diagrams of 'I'm here going here' and stuff are super handy for any sort of online gaming.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Flashman can also get out next turn or the last one, depending on our status.

The current plan is to run to 2434 and shoot the Locust.

Posting either here or in the google doc is key - what are the lights and the Komodo's plans?

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tempest_56 posted:

The plus side is that he's able to guarantee a +4 or +5 to-hit move mod each turn - with the weather even Ath's best shots are going to be 9s and 10s*, and most of the stuff on the field will literally be incapable of hitting.

(* - as long as Loxbourne doesn't lose his mind and land in short range of a 2 gun Hellstar, which is basic common sense..)

I think the main thing is to fill up the out tray this turn so we make space for the next turn and stop them camping on the exit.

• Locked thread