Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tesseraction posted:

That's not waht special snowflaking is aurgh coohoo stop it

Argh you know what I mean. Whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I think virtue signalling is when you talk a big progressive game but don't actually believe in it, you just do it to be holier than thou.

Special snowflaking is when you make up some term for yourself that kinda links with a real oppressed minority because you want attention/to be special

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

and it's showing in the inability of states to control that, they instead play into it. If the world is now reality TV then politicians are now contestants, and what the audience wants is blood and screaming and scandal.

This is really good, and I'm going to use a paraphrased version of it.

I guess this sums up why I've chosen foreign relief work as my career path. I've followed UKMTs (passively) basically since I joined this stupid forum, and I have a really, really strong interest in British politics, but it's just so toxic. I really don't think there's anything to be done until the next large-scale event happens, whatever that might be. Until then I'll just be trying to help people who, unambiguously, urgently need food, water and sanitation.

I'm off home to Teesside tomorrow for a few days. It'll be interesting to see how all the BF types spin this in their weird little minds.

E: oh my god who cares about the difference between snowflaking and virtue signalling as if they're even phrases anyone in real life should use, no wonder normal people don't listen to anyone who debates stuff on the internet if they actually say any of this dumb poo poo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Virtue signalling would also link with slacktivism, the idea that Facebook posts about a thing is a substitute for real activism.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

I think virtue signalling is when you talk a big progressive game but don't actually believe in it, you just do it to be holier than thou.

Special snowflaking is when you make up some term for yourself that kinda links with a real oppressed minority because you want attention/to be special

Namtab posted:

Virtue signalling would also link with slacktivism, the idea that Facebook posts about a thing is a substitute for real activism.

yes see this is much more like it

up with this sort of thing

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Jakabite posted:

Is there anything we can do or say to individuals, or is it just a question of smashing the whole culture?

I think we can help corrode the base and reduce their power by listening, not talking down to them, and trying to get them looking at the people who are really responsible for their issues. I know I've spent a long time just dismissing their concerns as racism when it's a little more complicated though there can certainly be a racial element. Case in point my adopted sister now lives down in England in an area with according to her a large amount of immigrants and was complaining on the phone how they looked down at her and called her white trash, I pointed out that she is on disability benefits and they've been fed the same "skiver vs striver" bullshit that's been so heavily dominant under the Tories which has probably influenced their outlook. I'm hopeful now that she might take a step back and see the real enemy, it's a small thing but it's a start.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Tesseraction posted:

Yeah my thing is because I see slacktivism and holier than thou stuff almost uniquely coming from the special snowflake crowd, or the kind of people who show up at an Orlando rally and yell at people there for being "too white" because Pulse was in a Latino neighbourhood. I've gone and associated them in my head.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah, I think that probably is the only real solution. It just seems impossible when the might of the British media machine is working in the opposite direction.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

You can't do anything about it, it's got the entire weight of the state and the mainstream of politics behind it.
In that case, we might as well give up and give in to the nihilistic politics of individual inward looking despair.

I'd like to think there's a better path than that, at least while we're here. Maybe not so much as individuals, but as what we can put together.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Coohoolin posted:

Yeah my thing is because I see slacktivism and holier than thou stuff almost uniquely coming from the special snowflake crowd, or the kind of people who show up at an Orlando rally and yell at people there for being "too white" because Pulse was in a Latino neighbourhood. I've gone and associated them in my head.

maybe you should stop reading breitbart for your news

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Tesseraction posted:

Pushing the idea you're the MOST PROGRESSIVE to your peer group is an entirely valid example there's almost no other reason to do that other than for the sake of appearance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

In that case, we might as well give up and give in to the nihilistic politics of individual inward looking despair.

I'd like to think there's a better path than that, at least while we're here. Maybe not so much as individuals, but as what we can put together.

Well you can do that or you can press on regardless, absent any hope of success. Given that everyone ITT is still alive they already have some experience with doing that.

I guess my suggestion is that there isn't anything that you, individually, or even collectively, can do which will make a material difference to the general state of the world. The prime movers are not great people or collective efforts, so much as dumb luck and gestalt, consciously uncontrollable social trends.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Namtab posted:

Also when you do 'believe in it' and you signal it real hard for cool points

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Leave is polling at 63%.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Puntification posted:

Pushing the idea you're the MOST PROGRESSIVE to your peer group is an entirely valid example there's almost no other reason to do that other than for the sake of appearance.

yes but it is different from virtue signalling, abd was previously what 'social justice warrior' was invented to make fun of until, funnily enough, right-wingers used the term for anything that wasn't Nazi

virtue-signalling is to criticise a particular form of slacktivism

the two are nowhere close to interchangeable and only the far-right use either anyway

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
virtue signalling is the verb form of social justice warrior

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well you can do that or you can press on regardless, absent any hope of success. Given that everyone ITT is still alive they already have some experience with doing that.

I guess my suggestion is that there isn't anything that you, individually, or even collectively, can do which will make a material difference to the general state of the world. The prime movers are not great people or collective efforts, so much as dumb luck and gestalt, consciously uncontrollable social trends.
If you keep on doing it anyway, that's really the absurdist form of option #2.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Let's discard the term virtue signalling and substitute it instead with "trying too drat hard," like the trolls who flock to this thread in the wake of a tragedy.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
this video sums up everything you need to know about virtue signalling

Labour held Tooting; doubled their majority on a reduced turnout. 7.9% swing from the Tories to Labour; Labour was the only party to gain in vote share and the Greens had their vote halved and lost their deposit which they didn't do last year. I don't know whether a by-election held a week before an EU referendum on the day when an MP was assassinated for the first time in 25 years can tell you much though...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

IceAgeComing posted:

this video sums up everything you need to know about virtue signalling

Labour held Tooting; doubled their majority on a reduced turnout. 7.9% swing from the Tories to Labour; Labour was the only party to gain in vote share and the Greens had their vote halved and lost their deposit which they didn't do last year. I don't know whether a by-election held a week before an EU referendum on the day when an MP was assassinated for the first time in 25 years can tell you much though...

a) yeah hbomberguy fukken owns

b) drat, niiice, but then Tooting is a safe Labour seat so not too surprising really

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

IceAgeComing posted:

From the Graun's liveblog on the Tooting result:

quote:

Allin-Khan should have become Labour’s 100th female MP tonight. Sadly, the number stays at 99.
:smith:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

loving hell. Brutal.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Tooting is a safe Labour seat so not too surprising really

Its definitely become a lot less safe in recent years; its a part of London that's had a load of gentrification recently. Sadiq Khan only had a majority just over 2000 in the last election; in an 83 sized Tory landslide it'd go to them now.

Apraxin posted:

From the Graun's liveblog on the Tooting result:

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Tesseraction posted:

that isn't what virtue signalling is

jesus christ

I've only started seeing this term recently but from my understanding by its context, "virtue signalling" is something "cucks" do to appear holier than thou as they let Europe turn into Western Arabia.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How's Ire land's response to the brexit? As far as I have heard they're planning for a leave vote.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Marenghi posted:

I've only started seeing this term recently but from my understanding by its context, "virtue signalling" is something "cucks" do to appear holier than thou as they let Europe turn into Western Arabia.

its the latest alt-right buzz word, its starting to replace "Cultural Marxism", possibly because the latter is basically a conspiracy theory invented by Hitler and that doesn't look too good.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

LeoMarr posted:

Leave is polling at 63%.

this is a joke right? please

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

LeoMarr posted:

How's Ire land's response to the brexit? As far as I have heard they're planning for a leave vote.

The leading parties support remain. As does Sinn Fein, who also wish for a border poll in the case of an exit.

A few outsiders believe an exit would gently caress England more and benefit us, but that seems doubtful, at least not with a massively painful transition. Then there's the case of having to reinstate border controls which the leadership aren't really clear on how to implement it after having free travel for so long, there's talk of automated checkpoints which sounds like combining buzzwords rather than actually making plans.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I remember getting into an argument with my flatmate because I objected to the use of the word "İuck" or "leftİuck" because of the (imv) lovely racial and sexual implications. He still insists it's fine. We agree on almost everything else, it's weird.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Angepain posted:

this is a joke right? please

http://www.businessinsider.com/bi-eu-referendum-poll-63-want-brexit-2016-6?r=UK&IR=T

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

big scary monsters posted:

Lucky this didn't happen a week later or you might not have cared at all!

Well would you rather have me as a heartless bastard :v:

I do care for this particular situation though for multiple reasons but maybe I just lack empathy for people I don't know personally. My frustration turned hatred has preety much just made me feel a lack of care to whatever happens to people that frustrate me. Still it is a tragedy all the same and I feel like I do have enough sympathy to at least offer my condolences but that won't change much in the end.

LeoMarr posted:

Polling for them has been preety much remain, a bit higher then Scotland.

Unless you actually meant ROI which case I don't know. Do you know someone that can contact the dead?

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 17, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lol that is such an inaccurate polling method

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

okay, so leave is polling at 63% among the readership of a particular magazine. Be sure to write the entirety of your sentences in future.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's a poll of Business Insider readers. So yes, a joke.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brexit Watch has Leave ahead for the first time in the polls aggregator.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Coohoolin posted:

I remember getting into an argument with my flatmate because I objected to the use of the word "İuck" or "leftİuck" because of the (imv) lovely racial and sexual implications. He still insists it's fine. We agree on almost everything else, it's weird.

Well, it is a sexual insult. I would imagine it is supposed to have lovely sexual implications.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I genuinely read that as Brexit Witch and briefly marvelled at the idea of broomstick riding green-skinned witch floating above Are Aisles sprinkling brexit dust.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

that's literally as accurate as saying that Remain is polling at 60.5% and citing the poll on top of this thread as proof

shockingly, a self-selected poll of readers of a particular magazine is less accurate than proper "scientific" polls, even with how lovely the UKs polling industry. Hell I thought everyone learned this in 1936 when the two big polls were one from a big magazine that polled their readers and got several million responses and a Gallop poll which only asked the standard 1,000 people. The magazine poll concluded that Alf Landon would win that Presidential election, which eh, he didn't. Gallop, despite asking a lot less people, got the result bang on.

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 17, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think you'll find on polling day some people will waver to pissflaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Apparently Britain First is going to be ensuring there isn't Voter fraud on The day we retake our country.

• Locked thread