Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

mike12345 posted:

I need to buy a multimeter. There are a couple chinese ones on Ebay, selling for 2-3 bucks. Is that safe to buy? I don't want crap exploding in my hands or catching fire.

They'll be no worse than the $5 ones from Harbor Freight. Those will do voltage up to 120V without killing you. I wouldn't trust them to do current at all, and their leads are crappy enough that resistance measurements are probably only accurate to within 100ohm or so. The leads are seriously crappy and fall apart pretty quickly, so be mindful of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

They'll be no worse than the $5 ones from Harbor Freight. Those will do voltage up to 120V without killing you. I wouldn't trust them to do current at all, and their leads are crappy enough that resistance measurements are probably only accurate to within 100ohm or so. The leads are seriously crappy and fall apart pretty quickly, so be mindful of that.

any brand/model you'd recommend for someone just starting out?

e: ok did a bit of googling, and someone recommended a UNI-T UT120C. Went with that.

mike12345 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 15, 2016

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I live in an apartment, been here for like two weeks. Last night, when I was going to bed, I noticed that the screws on the light switches in the bathroom and closet were electrified, and had a rather significant shock when I went to turn them off. I put my finger near them, and from ~1/8th of an inch away I could feel my hair standing on end, didnt want to get any closer to that, because it was a decent jolt when I accidentally touched it the first time. I don't know my way around house wiring too much, but I turned off the breaker (which also powers 1/3 of my apartment :rip:) and went to file a maintenance request. Quick googling had a lot of people trying to claim that it was just static on me (which seems like total horseshit to me) and some people saying it was either a loose ground wire, no ground wire, or a huge fire hazard because ground is shorted to something. I've been not impressed with the maintenance staff so far here, so if they dont deal with it (or even if they do) should I call a real electrician to come look at it? How much is that gonna cost me, and what should I do to make sure my apartment doesnt burn down in the next year due to something like this?

I also pulled the faceplates off and took a look after the breaker was off, and it looks like there are 2 wires plugged into the switch, and what may be a ground wire connected to the switch box (but it was hard to tell under all the paint and late at night), but the whole thing was spray-painted over at some point so colors are lost to me. Also the screws from the switch to the box are covered in paint, so if that wire is the ground, then the switch doesnt have any electrical connection to it, which may be the problem? I do own a nice multimeter, and design robots for a living, so I imagine if I had a guide or set of suggestions on what to look for I could maybe diagnose this myself, but I also know I dont really know enough to want to mess with it without some serious reading or expert help. So what should I do?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

mike12345 posted:

I need to buy a multimeter. There are a couple chinese ones on Ebay, selling for 2-3 bucks. Is that safe to buy? I don't want crap exploding in my hands or catching fire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEoazQ1zuUM&t=346s

You don't need a Fluke, but I would go above $2-3.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

L0cke17 posted:

So I live in an apartment, been here for like two weeks. Last night, when I was going to bed, I noticed that the screws on the light switches in the bathroom and closet were electrified, and had a rather significant shock when I went to turn them off. I put my finger near them, and from ~1/8th of an inch away I could feel my hair standing on end, didnt want to get any closer to that, because it was a decent jolt when I accidentally touched it the first time. I don't know my way around house wiring too much, but I turned off the breaker (which also powers 1/3 of my apartment :rip:) and went to file a maintenance request. Quick googling had a lot of people trying to claim that it was just static on me (which seems like total horseshit to me) and some people saying it was either a loose ground wire, no ground wire, or a huge fire hazard because ground is shorted to something. I've been not impressed with the maintenance staff so far here, so if they dont deal with it (or even if they do) should I call a real electrician to come look at it? How much is that gonna cost me, and what should I do to make sure my apartment doesnt burn down in the next year due to something like this?

I also pulled the faceplates off and took a look after the breaker was off, and it looks like there are 2 wires plugged into the switch, and what may be a ground wire connected to the switch box (but it was hard to tell under all the paint and late at night), but the whole thing was spray-painted over at some point so colors are lost to me. Also the screws from the switch to the box are covered in paint, so if that wire is the ground, then the switch doesnt have any electrical connection to it, which may be the problem? I do own a nice multimeter, and design robots for a living, so I imagine if I had a guide or set of suggestions on what to look for I could maybe diagnose this myself, but I also know I dont really know enough to want to mess with it without some serious reading or expert help. So what should I do?

( electricity buzzing )
NOW, THIS IS A ROOM WITH ELECTRICITY
BUT IT HAS TOO MUCH ELECTRICITY.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

That sounds like a combination of what you looked up, a short to the box with either no ground or a faulty ground. We need more info. Are the boxes steel or plastic? Does your place have 3 prong outlets? If so, use your multimeter, set it to AC volts, stick one probe in the narrower slot and the other in the round hole. Now if they're properly grounded, the meter should read around 120V.

Do you have an extension cord long enough to reach an outlet on another circuit?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

kid sinister posted:

That sounds like a combination of what you looked up, a short to the box with either no ground or a faulty ground. We need more info. Are the boxes steel or plastic? Does your place have 3 prong outlets? If so, use your multimeter, set it to AC volts, stick one probe in the narrower slot and the other in the round hole. Now if they're properly grounded, the meter should read around 120V.

Do you have an extension cord long enough to reach an outlet on another circuit?

I did go home at lunch to check their progress, and the maintenance people have clearly been there, they said it was fixed, and the circuit was turned back on, and it was not acting the same as it was before. I don't know exactly what they did, but it no longer felt like it was electrified when I put my hand near it, and when I touched it after that nothing happened, so maybe its fixed?

I do have 3 prong outlets, and I can borrow an extension cord from work that would be long enough to grab another circuit.

The box may be metal? but its hard to tell under all the paint. I'll turn off the breaker again when I get home and scratch at a small area of the paint to see if its metal or plastic.

However, it doesnt look like they even removed the faceplate on either of the switches, so I worry what that means. They did at least open and mess with the fusebox it looks like, so maybe it wasnt grounded properly in there and they fixed that?

Option 3 is that it actually WAS an electrostatic discharge on my part. I had been shuffling around my standing desk, which is over carpet, for like 3 hours and the screw may have been the first thing I touched that was grounded, and after leaving for work and clipping into the ESD mat for working on electronics I no longer have that charge, so the maintenance people may have shown up and found nothing, and I found nothing after I got back from work. I still want to try and test every other alternative I can before I get too comfortable and believe that Im safe.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

I did go home at lunch to check their progress, and the maintenance people have clearly been there, they said it was fixed, and the circuit was turned back on, and it was not acting the same as it was before. I don't know exactly what they did, but it no longer felt like it was electrified when I put my hand near it, and when I touched it after that nothing happened, so maybe its fixed?

I do have 3 prong outlets, and I can borrow an extension cord from work that would be long enough to grab another circuit.

The box may be metal? but its hard to tell under all the paint. I'll turn off the breaker again when I get home and scratch at a small area of the paint to see if its metal or plastic.

However, it doesnt look like they even removed the faceplate on either of the switches, so I worry what that means. They did at least open and mess with the fusebox it looks like, so maybe it wasnt grounded properly in there and they fixed that?

Option 3 is that it actually WAS an electrostatic discharge on my part. I had been shuffling around my standing desk, which is over carpet, for like 3 hours and the screw may have been the first thing I touched that was grounded, and after leaving for work and clipping into the ESD mat for working on electronics I no longer have that charge, so the maintenance people may have shown up and found nothing, and I found nothing after I got back from work. I still want to try and test every other alternative I can before I get too comfortable and believe that Im safe.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My guess is that the ground wasn't hooked up properly at that box and that the hot was touching either the switch frame or the steel box. If that was the case, then they may have needed to fix the ground farther up the branch (like at the panel) so that a short to ground in the future will actually trip the breaker instead of shocking somebody like what happened with you.

The difference between static shock and mains shock is the amps and voltage. Now amps is what hurts you, but volts is what makes electricity jump gaps. Static shocks have really high volts, high enough to jump a gap, but low amps so it's only a tickle. Mains voltage is really low, (compared to a static shock anyway) but with higher amps, enough to be dangerous. So the easiest way to tell the difference is this: when you were shocked, did you get shocked when you touched it or when you almost touched it?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

mike12345 posted:

Yeah you'll be fine. It's not like there are multimeters that aren't Chinese.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

kid sinister posted:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My guess is that the ground wasn't hooked up properly at that box and that the hot was touching either the switch frame or the steel box. If that was the case, then they may have needed to fix the ground farther up the branch (like at the panel) so that a short to ground in the future will actually trip the breaker instead of shocking somebody like what happened with you.

The difference between static shock and mains shock is the amps and voltage. Now amps is what hurts you, but volts is what makes electricity jump gaps. Static shocks have really high volts, high enough to jump a gap, but low amps so it's only a tickle. Mains voltage is really low, (compared to a static shock anyway) but with higher amps, enough to be dangerous. So the easiest way to tell the difference is this: when you were shocked, did you get shocked when you touched it or when you almost touched it?

Im not certain. It may have been almost touching, but I jerked away so fast I don't recall exactly. I was reaching from around the door-frame to turn it off, so I wasnt looking at it when I felt it either. Is there an easy way to tell with a multimeter if the screw is hot? Just for my sanity at this point.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

L0cke17 posted:

Im not certain. It may have been almost touching, but I jerked away so fast I don't recall exactly. I was reaching from around the door-frame to turn it off, so I wasnt looking at it when I felt it either. Is there an easy way to tell with a multimeter if the screw is hot? Just for my sanity at this point.

Sure thing. First off, get a 3 prong extension cord and find an outlet on another circuit. Do the multimeter AC volts test on the narrower prong and the grounding prong. If the multimeter reads around 120V, then you know that the ground on that outlet is working. Next, plug in the extension cord and do the test again on the same prongs at the other end. Now you know you have a good cord. Next, drag the other end of the cord to wherever your problem switch is. Let's bypass the screw to rule out any paint on the screw messing with readings. Take off that switch's faceplate and do the multimeter test again, this time between the frame of the switch and the ground prong of the extension cord. That should NOT be a circuit. Now multimeters are really sensitive, so don't be surprised if it shows some tiny voltage there, like in the mV range. Start to worry if it shows anything close to 120V.

Your door frames wouldn't happen to be metal or have metal trim, would they?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I couldn't actually borrow the extension cord, we were using all of them at work. But I did try the screws and then the switch bodies to the copper piping under the sink which should also be a good ground, and in reach. Basically 0 voltage. So it seems to be fixed by whatever they did in the panel, or it was never a problem in the first place and was just a bad static discharge.

The doors are all wood as far as I can tell.

Thanks for all your help today!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Humble Bundle currently has an ebooks special with various Make books on Electronics - really cool. Cheapest bundle goes for 1$ and gets you 6 books.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/make-electronics-book-bundle

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah you'll be fine. It's not like there are multimeters that aren't Chinese.

I wouldn't be concerned with the Chineseness, but rather the super-cheap stuff's potential lack of device/user protection in case of putting the leads on things in the wrong mode.

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

So I am trying to install a smart dimmer switch to use with my Smartthings hub, I went to go replace the switch in the bedroom where I want to use it but there is some weird wiring that I am not familiar with.

The wire labeled G is actually just bare copper wire but I assume its the ground. I am assuming that having the double wires means this switch used to control more than just the outlet it currently controls? None of the other outlets turn off with this switch, although it does look that at one point there may have been a surface mount light fixture of some sort?

At any rate my switch has a red, white, black & green wire, I assume if I just wire nut the proper colors to the proper wires everything should be good? The black wire is the hot wire, I verified it with a continuity tester.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That has to be the worst diagram I've ever seen. How about some labels on the devices?

Wait, I figured it out. You have one of two situations.
1. The cable on the right has the supplying hot. It uses the red cable as switch leg to send switched power back to the previous box at the other end of that cable, while its black sends constant power farther down the branch.
2. The cable on the left has the supplying hot. It uses the black to send constant power to the fixture or outlet, while the red sends switched hot.

Got a circuit tester? Turn the power off, separate the two blacks from each other, turn it back on and see which one is now hot.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 17, 2016

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Sorry all I had to work with was an online sketch program. The box on the left is the light switch, the two boxy looking things at the top are just the bundled wire that the individual wires are coming out of

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

That has to be the worst diagram I've ever seen. How about some labels on the devices?

Indeed. Is that left wire really a 6 conductor wire?

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Yes it has 2 black wires, 2 white wires, and 2 copper wires.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Here, I re-drew your diagram, hopefully this is clearer:

Mode 7 Samurai
Jan 9, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Here, I re-drew your diagram, hopefully this is clearer:

Thanks chief, real loving helpful.

gently caress ya'll, sorry I am not a goddamn electrician good at making wiring diagrams. I will just have my dad come over and help me instead of hearing you babies loving cry about my lack of artistic skills.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Yes it has 2 black wires, 2 white wires, and 2 copper wires.

Forget that testing I wrote earlier, you don't really need to do all that. Turn off the power, attach the black wire of the switch to all the blacks twisted together, the white to all the whites, the red to the single red wire and ground to ground.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Mode 7 Samurai posted:

Thanks chief, real loving helpful.

gently caress ya'll, sorry I am not a goddamn electrician good at making wiring diagrams. I will just have my dad come over and help me instead of hearing you babies loving cry about my lack of artistic skills.

C'mon dude, that was a great joke, how can you not laugh at that post.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

magic mountain posted:

C'mon dude, that was a great joke, how can you not laugh at that post.

Serious business only around here, thank you very much.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Bad Munki posted:

Serious business only around here, thank you very much.

https://youtu.be/rq2n2O9Ryvw

E: https://youtu.be/ItF3sGf5ovM

Hubis fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 18, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid question, but we have this vacuum that gets some pretty hard use and the plug starts getting torn off the cord every three months or so. Replacing the thing is a costly hassle, so the idea has been floated that we just attach an extension cord to it, and when that plug starts getting torn up then we just replace the cord. Any reason why this wouldn't work/cause fire and electrical deaths?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's exactly how any corded outdoor power equipment I've ever used is designed - either a short stub of a cable or none at all, with a hook to hold whatever extension cord you plug into it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You can buy multipack 1-foot-long extension cords. They come in handy surprisingly frequently. Not just for stuff like your vacuum cleaner; you can also use them to get full use out of the ports on a power strip, for example.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Perfect. Thanks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can buy multipack 1-foot-long extension cords. They come in handy surprisingly frequently. Not just for stuff like your vacuum cleaner; you can also use them to get full use out of the ports on a power strip, for example.

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022802&p_id=5296&seq=1&format=2

A buck/ea more or less if you only need 16 AWG.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

there wolf posted:

Stupid question, but we have this vacuum that gets some pretty hard use and the plug starts getting torn off the cord every three months or so. Replacing the thing is a costly hassle, so the idea has been floated that we just attach an extension cord to it, and when that plug starts getting torn up then we just replace the cord. Any reason why this wouldn't work/cause fire and electrical deaths?

Why not just replace the plug with a kit explicitly designed for that?

https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-000-515PR-000-Black-Rubber-Grounded/dp/B000FKBZ7M/ref=pd_lpo_60_bs_t_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=JR4DREX38HK5CZV246ZP

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

there wolf posted:

It shouldn't be costly. Also, that isn't "pretty hard use", you need to look at what you're doing and how you're treating your equipment. Hubis has a good replacement in his post but you're doing something wrong here and you need to look at the root cause.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It's the work vacuum. I only have so much control over it's use and repair, and I don't want to get shocked again. Temporary solution is pretty much my only solution right now.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have a commercial Hoover upright and it just has a short cord coming out of it with a replaceable extension cord that clips in place with strain relief, so yeah, the extension cord is fine.

there wolf posted:

It's the work vacuum. I only have so much control over it's use and repair, and I don't want to get shocked again. Temporary solution is pretty much my only solution right now.

Your coworkers are idiots and instead of walking over to the wall and unplugging it, they grab the cord and whip it around until the plug flies out of the wall.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

GWBBQ posted:

Your coworkers are idiots and instead of walking over to the wall and unplugging it, they grab the cord and whip it around until the plug flies out of the wall.

Nope. A nice as it would be, there really isn't some large, obviously stupid action creating the problem. It's just a lot of small things that result in more stress on the chord than it can handle right now.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

there wolf posted:

Nope. A nice as it would be, there really isn't some large, obviously stupid action creating the problem. It's just a lot of small things that result in more stress on the chord than it can handle right now.

Have you tried a hospital grade plug yet? They're stupidly overbuilt for stress and yanking.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So I'm moved into my new apartment (well, new to me). I'm sure the place will eventually burn down on its own, since it has an early 80s FPE Stab Lok panel :supaburn:. But that's not why I'm here.

There's a recessed can light above the bar. Seems like a standard 6 inch can. Problem is, it turns off on its own after a few minutes. It'll cycle back on and off several times for a minute, then goes off for 5 minutes or so. It's doing this with incandescent, CFL, and LED bulbs installed, regardless of wattage (with one of the LEDs it would start flickering rapidly instead of going off completely). When it goes off for 5+ minutes, there's an audible "click".

I'm assuming this is a bad thermal safety, but I can't see one inside the can - the socket just has 2 wires leading out of the can. How much of a pain in the rear end will it be for maintenance to fix it? Where the hell is the thermal cutout on it anyway? I'm more curious if they're going to have to cut the light out of the ceiling or if they'll somehow be able to fix it without ripping the ceiling apart. Or did the previous tenant stick a flasher behind the switch to drive me crazy? :tinfoil:

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

some texas redneck posted:

So I'm moved into my new apartment (well, new to me). I'm sure the place will eventually burn down on its own, since it has an early 80s FPE Stab Lok panel :supaburn:. But that's not why I'm here.

There's a recessed can light above the bar. Seems like a standard 6 inch can. Problem is, it turns off on its own after a few minutes. It'll cycle back on and off several times for a minute, then goes off for 5 minutes or so. It's doing this with incandescent, CFL, and LED bulbs installed, regardless of wattage (with one of the LEDs it would start flickering rapidly instead of going off completely). When it goes off for 5+ minutes, there's an audible "click".

I'm assuming this is a bad thermal safety, but I can't see one inside the can - the socket just has 2 wires leading out of the can. How much of a pain in the rear end will it be for maintenance to fix it? Where the hell is the thermal cutout on it anyway? I'm more curious if they're going to have to cut the light out of the ceiling or if they'll somehow be able to fix it without ripping the ceiling apart. Or did the previous tenant stick a flasher behind the switch to drive me crazy? :tinfoil:

Depending on how the can is mounted, typically it's possible to pull the can trim out to get to the socket head The thermal will usually be glued/screwed/riveted to the top of the can next to the socket with a couple wires leading from it. For residential, idunno, it's possible that that's a permanent can install and you have to rip drywall out to get to it. Anywhere else, I'd say try to pull the trim ring down yourself. It's probably stuck to the ceiling with a bunch of paint and crap. Either way, it shouldn't take a somewhat competent handyman more than an hour to fix, so it'll probably take apartment maintenance guys all morning and they'll leave a huge mess on your bar, steal some of your booze, won't actually fix the light, and they'll say they've gotta "get parts" and "come back later" and you'll see them this winter sometime.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Take the bulb out. Do you see 3 mounting screws around the inside of the can near the bottom? They're there for adjusting the bulb depth and for accessing the wires after installation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I bet there's poo poo wiring in the wall/ceiling and a conductor is broken but the insulation is intact, and as it sparks and heats up, it makes/breaks the connection periodically.